Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I've been recommended Password Box by a friend, which supposedly runs an algorithm that "hasn't been cracked since 1960". I find that dubious but v-_-v I just want a good fortress to encrypt all my password in and control from a central point. Anyone knows anything about it? I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bhodi posted:

Password Box is a McAffee product (Click on Help/FAQ at the bottom of the page).

That should tell you all you need to know.

Ok so it's poo poo. I'll check out the other recommendations :)

---
Just checked out Keepass. I'm curious : It's OpenSource, meaning that everyone has access to the algorithm, right? What would someone need to do in theory to then have access to all your passwords with Keepass? It seems to me that using it would be opening myself to inviting people to have easier access to all my passwords in one place with an algorithm that's openly available. I have zero knowledge of security coding so forgive me if this is the dumbest poo poo ever I'm asking >.>

Popoto fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 9, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

spog posted:

No.

They let everyone know what the maths are, but not the numbers you put into the maths to create the encryption.

This is actually more secure than hiding the maths - it means that geeks and crypto-weenies can examine the maths and a) determine how strong it is and b) point out any vulnerabilities due to poor implementation - then post the results in public.

Ok so basically, peer review journals. That's good. I suppose the bit about the number s you put into the maths is us choosing the passwords, right? In that case it shoot my confidence up. I suppose the other reason to really use those password manager is not just to put all your stuff in one place, but also to use their password generators to make really complicated ones since you know you won't have to remember them, thus making sure it's not brute-forcable...

• Locked thread