Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mrit posted:

Standard answer is Keepass/Lastpass. I like Keypass, I keep the password file on the cloud(with a hefty unique password) so I can access it from any of my computers or my phone.

Came here to post this.

Another bonus is that it can be run from a thumbdrive, so you can use it on any PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lichy posted:

Good advice I once heard is to write down you passwords on a piece of paper and store it somewhere safe. Maybe make an abridged copy for the most common passwords you use that you can't be arsed to remember to carry around with you.
This method is free and trusty so yeah.

Great if your password is 'joshua'

Not so good if your forums password is 'fuu3hiqn0phhy0x95nhyn36f7wapq14e'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Isko posted:

So I've never used a password manager and was wondering about the disadvantages of using one would be. I mean, if you are using somebody else's computer how would you get the password to log in to your email or something? It seems to me that password managers kind of create a little bit of a hassle when you need to use something other than your own devices. I've wanted to try a password manager before but this has always prevented me.

If I were to use simple passwords, then I could call up Keepass on my phone and read it, then type it in.

As most of my passwords tend to be things like 'ZJ1OhfYdxKO2h2sXJp49', what I would do is load Keepass on a thumbdrive and run it from there

http://keepass.info/download.html - there is a 'Portable' version

spog
Aug 7, 2004

internet jerk posted:

It's a trade off you have to be willing to make to increase your password security. It's inconvenient for me as a 1Password user to have to sometimes manually find and type out some long rear end complex password to hook up my Netflix account to my AppleTV (or whatever) but better than having an account more easily compromised due to laziness.

One thing I like about Keepass is that you can define the complexity of the password.

If it is something that I have to type on an AppleTV (or whatever), I can select a long one that uses only characters - which is a lot easier than trying to find the ` ^ or ' keys

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cyxx posted:

So how do these things work on mobile and locked down work computers?

For mobile I'm imagining there's an app that you copy and paste into the appropriate password fields on banking apps and such? (I use iOS)

And locked down work computers I guess I would just copy and paste from a web interfact?

Keepass on android is easy to use:
you unlock the database and select the entry you want to use.
You then can use the notification drawer to copy the username or the password to the clipboard with a single click
next is to paste into the appropriate field.
I assume iOS is similar.

The portable version of keepass will run without being installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

Ok so it's poo poo. I'll check out the other recommendations :)

---
Just checked out Keepass. I'm curious : It's OpenSource, meaning that everyone has access to the algorithm, right? What would someone need to do in theory to then have access to all your passwords with Keepass? It seems to me that using it would be opening myself to inviting people to have easier access to all my passwords in one place with an algorithm that's openly available. I have zero knowledge of security coding so forgive me if this is the dumbest poo poo ever I'm asking >.>

No.

They let everyone know what the maths are, but not the numbers you put into the maths to create the encryption.

This is actually more secure than hiding the maths - it means that geeks and crypto-weenies can examine the maths and a) determine how strong it is and b) point out any vulnerabilities due to poor implementation - then post the results in public.

• Locked thread