Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Are we supposed to be working together or are we doing things separately or do they intersect but with the potential for conflict or what?

You'll mostly be working together, sometimes splitting up. The Bound have a tendency to group up with each other, but it's also a practical consideration - if you're together we're posting at a roughly equal rate, if you're separate I've gotta match your, soags and beets combined posting pace and gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
... :getin:

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Tirade posted:

You'll mostly be working together, sometimes splitting up. The Bound have a tendency to group up with each other, but it's also a practical consideration - if you're together we're posting at a roughly equal rate, if you're separate I've gotta match your, soags and beets combined posting pace and gently caress that.

xylo is the only mortal who could undertake such a herculean task

oh and avs as well i guess but RIP avs

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Sorry man I don't remember - I'm going in to Guardians of the Galaxy in half an hour so I'll check it when I get home.

Awww yes I hear it's good. Nah no rush check it tomorrow bro.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

He awoke in field of grain, surrounded by firey wreckage, body broken but impossibly alive, with an old compass in his hand.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the dog is because it's a werewolf crossover.

poo poo, i should have made my character die in 96 in brisbane whilst spectating an illegal cage fight

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

As I was whining about the pages and pages dedicated to describing what each manifestation does, I couldn't help thinking that there are players out there who would know it all off by heart, would have figured out the most game-breaking powers and would play each game exactly the same way, and would spend hours arguing with the DM about the definition of "harm" in paragraph 7 of page 193. I'm actually happier that most of you guys don't know the rules.

This is why I only let people who have never played werewolf into my game. It also means if something is blatantly overpowered you can change it before they ever see it.

For reference I'd never heard of Geist until I signed up so I'm in the dark as much as the others when it comes to the intricate mechanics.

I played Wraith, but it was in Old World of Darkness and it was also in a situation where I'd never played it before and the DM was carefully controlling what we had access to, so I don't know much about it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

poo poo, i should have made my character die in 96 in brisbane whilst spectating an illegal cage fight

:vince:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

the dog is because it's a werewolf crossover.

Hunter thread is also set in 96, I had my guy hint that his puppy-loving, legal aid worker brother up in Brisbane started MMA and hasn't been heard from in weeks. No-one picked up on it :(

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Your character sheet is all good Beet.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Hunter thread is also set in 96, I had my guy hint that his puppy-loving, legal aid worker brother up in Brisbane started MMA and hasn't been heard from in weeks. No-one picked up on it :(

Lol! I haven't read the hunter thread yet, I've been waiting for a slow day at work.... I think I'll be waiting awhile.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Your character sheet is all good Beet.

Ta!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Tirade posted:

i dont get this reference, what is it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

In the werewolf game we went to make money by having thatbastardkens character do some illegal mma. Well the characters health got low enough, which made them frenzy, which was stopped but set off a series of unfortunate events so we ended up slaughtering a warehouse full of people because we can't solve problems any other way.

I think most of our other problems have been solved the same way.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

in my werewolf game, the characters went to an MMA gym to make some extra money by putting one of their guys in the ring, using super werewolf powers on the sly, and bet all their money on them.

But werewolves in certain circumstances (like being beaten up in an MMA fight) may go berserk and kill everything around them uncontrollably, and welp.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It was memorable because some characters were trying to calm the situation down and ones was trying to set the building on fire while another was announcing to the room he was taking all the money the bookie had and therefore everyone's bets.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

Raj starts edging towards the door making small pointing motions behind Doug's back.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Tirade posted:

Eddie

Eddie spent a long time thinking about the events at Nhill. One on one, these things are gonna loving slaughter us, he thought. Only way we're going to have a chance is to organise. As his opa always used to say, there's strength in numbers. But who to trust?

Eddie immediately thought of his brother, Danny. Of the two of them, Danny had always been the dependable one. Where Eddie had rode a decade-long wave of mild alcoholism and casual barwork, Danny had worked in Queensland's Legal Aid, championing the cause of some of the most disadvantaged people in the state. He spent his spare time volunteering at a local animal shelter.

Danny had recently got involved in mixed martial arts, despite being one of the most gentle people Eddie knew. He'd told Eddie that he fought in order to conquer his twin fears: his fear of getting hurt, and his greater fear of hurting others.

Eddie didn't really know much about the terrors he'd be facing, but he knew enough about how society works to realise that it's always the most vulnerable that bear the brunt of those with power. With his formidable reputation and connections throughout the legal and political circles, combined with his fighting prowess, Danny would be an indispensable asset in the fight against the darkness. Now if only the guy would pick up the phone, Eddie thought. He hasn't been answering in weeks.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha. Whoops!

Sulla: my werewolf game is like, cartoonish and exaggerated, so I don't know if it'd be a great signifier for how this game will go, in terms of what to expect.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Hey sorry to jerk you all around but I'm going to be traveling until next Friday so it may be a good idea if I do a Jesus and come back to life a week late, or at least not relied on to post for the first week because I don't know how much internet I'll have access to

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah no worries Soag, I'll do some prelim stuff with the others and you can join in when we get to the first real scene.

Oh and I'm gonna change your geist slightly, they're supposed to be more along the lines of archetypes, or the "ghosts of ideas" than actual gods. So your sexpat can't have allah as a geist, but can have a pious imam, a sufi dervish, something like that.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

By the sounds of it, you could just go full on American Gods the book.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Sulla: my werewolf game is like, cartoonish and exaggerated, so I don't know if it'd be a great signifier for how this game will go, in terms of what to expect.

This game is probably gonna turn out to be a cross between x-files and scooby doo. It's not going to go too gothy but I'm hoping to work in some of the weirder snippets of Canberra history, which should be easy enough when you're playing games about ghosts.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

By the sounds of it, you could just go full on American Gods the book.

The setting of American Gods is pretty much spot on.

Geists are slightly different to the gods in the book though, as they were at least once human rather than gods who have lost their power. It's a pain in the arse concept to explain without copying pages from the handbook, but think of them as ghosts who are part human remnant and part... something else. Ghosts in World of Darknessland usually have either unfinished business that keeps them hanging around, or are tied to "anchors", objects that had special meaning like a marriage ring, the casing of a bullet that killed them, etc. that similarly prevent them from passing on. Geists have figured out a way to replace their anchors with some kind of icon, becoming tied to an idea, or archetype, rather than to an object.

It's frustrating because everyone knows what a werewolf or vampire is, but this is something the writers have created pretty much from scratch. I think it's one of the reasons why the game was relatively unpopular, but on the other hand should make things a bit more flexible as the story progresses, because we don't have any preconceptions as to how these things are supposed to work.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I'm on holiday as well but I brought a laptop for my own stuff so I should be able to play whenever you start, especially weekdays your time because the girlfriend will still be at work.

But possibly you might not have started by the time I get back so don't sweat it. Just wanted to let you know I'm still here in case you were thinking everybody has bailed.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
ok my geist is Foxy Gorton, an angry internet SJW who brought me back to life with a cask of magic goon

although i am tempted to make my geist a dervish and have him only speak to me from Rumi quotes but that's prboably a bit too onanistic and noone would get it

plumpy hole lever fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Ok BCR there's a couple more changes to your character sheet and we're good to go. The three things you listed in merits work more as specialties - let's say mechanic (+1 on fixing cars), bar storyteller (+1 to expression and socialize when drunk), and alcohol tolerance (alcohol penalties reduced by half).

That frees up your merits, so pick a couple from the list in quotes in the OP, for a total of seven dots. If you want explanation on any of them just let me know.

For "Keys", you've picked Industrial which is good for your truckgeist, you also get another from your threshold, which would be Pyre-Flame.

Finally, under Manifestations you should have a maximum of 3 dots, so drop it back by one. Your character is showing Boneyard but you mentioned in one of your other points you wanted to throw them into Rage instead? Up to you, Boneyard is an interesting "sense and influence things around you" and works out to a hundred metres or so at Rank 3.

I'll do a final check of everyone else's sheets in a sec.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'll put up the thread in a few hours, you'll all be separated to begin with. I'm gonna nudge you all towards the same place a day or so of game time after we start, only thing I'd ask is that you play along and don't actively ignore the prompts to get you to meet up (aka the "JP drives to Sydney" clause). You'll be free to do your own things once you've initially made contact with each other.

Soag your guy's gonna be on hold, we'll drop him into the story when you get back.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Mate I'm going to be a social character that will try to talk his way around problems, with the option of running things over in a ute. With the ute I want to be able to drive over people, and also have a spiritual version or whatever materialise and drop on their heads.

Whatever you think works with that I'll have. I'm not precious, and obviously put whatever limits you think are reasonable. One ute drop a day, or harden ute is half my magic, etc.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BCR posted:

Mate I'm going to be a social character that will try to talk his way around problems, with the option of running things over in a ute.

put more points in drive

or don't actually.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Mate I'm going to be a social character that will try to talk his way around problems, with the option of running things over in a ute. With the ute I want to be able to drive over people, and also have a spiritual version or whatever materialise and drop on their heads.

Whatever you think works with that I'll have. I'm not precious, and obviously put whatever limits you think are reasonable. One ute drop a day, or harden ute is half my magic, etc.

Works for me. Your gift of keystone was a rusting ute that somehow still runs. Merits can be Crack Driver (••), Barfly (••), and Hardy (•••).

Here's a bit more in-depth rundown on how the keystones work:

Keystone Rules

Just beyond the realm of the living is what's called "Twilight" - a place where ghosts and a few other critters hang out. It's exactly the same as the real world except insubstantial, which is why ghosts normally pass straight through doors, walls, other people. As one of the bound, you can see things in the twilight and occasionally interact with them. Your geist lives in the Twilight as well, and the various Manifestations you use are fuelled both by your plasm and the power of the geist pushing through to the real world for a short time. Ghosts do the same thing with their various haunting-type things - making blood run from the walls, moving things about, etc.

So your keystones usually exist in the Twilight as well, in the care of your geist. For the smaller keystones (i.e. everyone's except BCR) you can pull them into the real world and push them back to the twilight with a thought, and many of the bound carry their keystones on display in the real world. Ghosts, geists and the bound will immediately recognise a keystone for what it is. You can never actually lose or destroy your keystone: If you lose it in the real world, recalling it to you is simply a matter of pushing it into the Twilight and pulling it back out, and if it's destroyed it will sit in the twilight for the rest of the scene.

Additional BCR Death Ute Keystone Rules:
Bringing a large keystone into the real world requires a bit more effort. 1 point of plasm to bring it in, then it will stick around for the remainder of the scene before fading back into the Twilight.
You can't materialise it somewhere where there's already something solid, so it won't work in confined spaces, nor can you solidify it through another person.
You can materialise it over someone's head, but they've got a diceroll to try to move out of the way.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 17, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

For the smaller keystones (i.e. everyone's except BCR) you can pull them into the real world and push them back to the twilight with a thought, and many of the bound carry their keystones on display in the real world. Ghosts, geists and the bound will immediately recognise a keystone for what it is. You can never actually lose or destroy your keystone: If you lose it in the real world, recalling it to you is simply a matter of pushing it into the Twilight and pulling it back out, and if it's destroyed it will sit in the twilight for the rest of the scene.

In that case I'd like to change my keystone to a handgrenade.

(just kidding)

Tirade posted:

Additional BCR Death Ute Keystone Rules:
Bringing a large keystone into the real world requires a bit more effort. 1 point of plasm to bring it in, then it will stick around for the remainder of the scene before fading back into the Twilight.
You can't materialise it somewhere where there's already something solid, so it won't work in confined spaces, nor can you solidify it through another person.
You can materialise it over someone's head, but they've got a diceroll to try to move out of the way.

Oh, so 90% of the time, his ute won't exist in the realworld, but he can summon it at any time and it lasts a scene.

For Sulla, Soag, and BCR, these kinds of games use "scene" as an abstract unit of time. It's basically like a scene in a movie. It lasts as long as the action is going on or until we cut away to something else. A scene can last anywhere from a couple minutes to several hours, depending on what you're doing.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Oh, so 90% of the time, his ute won't exist in the realworld, but he can summon it at any time and it lasts a scene.

For Sulla, Soag, and BCR, these kinds of games use "scene" as an abstract unit of time. It's basically like a scene in a movie. It lasts as long as the action is going on or until we cut away to something else. A scene can last anywhere from a couple minutes to several hours, depending on what you're doing.

Yep, although there's nothing saying that he can't also have a regular ute to complement his spirit ute.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the points Tirade, updated my sheet. Thanks for the info xylo.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35929

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Thread's up.

I got all overly descriptive for each player's opening scene, but from here on it's up to each of you to figure out what's next. How do you feel? Do you try to engage with your geist, or do you try to pretend like nothing happened? Remember except for Xylo you've got friends and family, a life in Canberra, and you're all very much alive, so you're not going to [immediately] pile into the Mystery Bus and head out looking for adventure. That comes in a day or so.

I'll also go through and post more detailed descriptions of remaining manifestation choices in a sec.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Dunstan

One of the dogs begins to whine softly, and rolls around on its back. The Comancheros are paying you $110 to walk the dogs, that's way more than your going rate of $25! Four point four times more, you think. Well, you think you thought it. Weird.
hahahah

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm going to make another tiny modification to my character: I'm shifting a point from Survival to Firearms, and changing my specialty from Drive (Spacecraft) to Firearms (Pistols) because my character would have been trained on how to use a sidearm, and I don't think there will be many spaceships in this game.

------//------

I was looking at our character sheets to see who was the best at what. Turns out we're an extremely well-rounded group that has just about everything covered.

Hambeet's the fightin'est. BCR has social stuff down, as well as driving (obviously) and repair stuff. Soag's got stealth, computers, and illegal stuff. Sulla's smarter and faster than everyone by a wide margin. I made my character kind of middle-of-the-road so I could cover/help with whatever other people need.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

XyloJW posted:

Sulla's smarter and faster than everyone by a wide margin.

my character aint half bad either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I promise I won't write such long entries every time, I just figured with the set-up we could go a bit longer if desired. Is it ok if I use past tense? I know everybody else is using present but it just feels super gross to write in it.

Also yeah do we get summaries of how much damage we've taken etc? Do we need to provide lists of possessions like money etc?

• Locked thread