Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheFluff posted:

In California (which is about the same geographical size as Sweden, but with about four times the population), 27% of the population is foreign-born (Sweden, 2013: ~16%). During the 90's there was a net foreign immigration of about 250-300k people per year while the state had a population of about 30 million. Yes, please keep telling us that accepting a few thousand Syrians and Somalians in a year is completely impossible and will end us as a nation.

I mean, it's obvious that with the current way we treat these people there's no wonder we have social issues involving them, but hurfing a durf about "nomadic herdsmen" (lol as if they could afford to get themselves here) and "eastern europeans with mischief in mind" (do you propose extrajudicial screening in order to establish that they do, in fact, have mischief in mind?) ruining our society just makes you seem loving retarded. Stop making GBS threads up the thread with myths and absurd arguments in the vein of the old Hassan classic "tio tusen tyska bögar" (it would be funny, except you're not ironic).

Of course you are, since all of those cases are obviously illegal discrimination. Please stop spreading retarded reverse racism myths. Certain worker's unions block SD members from holding elected positions though, but that's an entirely different case.

Europeans, and in many cases Scandinavians in particular, are just really, really bad at integration. In Norway we seem to think that sticking people who just came from a poverty-stricken war-zone in semi-closed instiutions (often privately run) without true contact with the real world is the path to integration and gainful employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheFluff posted:

On a personal/household level, I don't think that's true. I really dislike the nationalist ideal that says that everyone who lives in a certain place has to absorb certain cultural values and have a certain mindset in order to fit in. Why can't we just not be assholes and let everyone follow their own traditions? A true multicultural society certainly needs to do so to work.

Scandinavian cultures, especially Norway and Sweden do (traditionally/stereotypically) place a great amount of importance on the concept of "fitting in" and not drawing "needless" attention to yourself at the expense of the community. Whether you recognize that you adhere to this or not, and even though it is a stereotype, I believe we are expected to conform and we expect others to do the same for better or worse.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ligur posted:

Agreed. But the whole premise of the current system is faulty. How Immigration Works was built on the premise people come here because they have a job, or have married some Nordic chick or guy, or in the case of Finland want to study here. They don't need to be "integrated" much more than that.

The whole asylum seeking system where thousands (or in Sweden's case, tens of thousands) of families just appear over the border every year, often having destroyed their travel documents so they don't even have an identity you confirm, don't speak any local language, come from cultures which are often the opposites of the Nordic "liberal views, religion not important, trust officials and police, ethnicity not important, 1-2 kid family" -one, and might not have much of a social network etc. etc has slowly grown from nothing, without anyone having time to plan or think it through, and is now an enormous industry which trundles on, even here in Finland, the land of few asylum seekers, there is still a large bureaucracy built around that only.

Of course this spells various disasters and problems with "integration". Nobody knows what the gently caress is even going on.

Ofcourse, the first immigrants to come were largely guest workers who ended up staying (in Norway, Pakistanis and Turks in the '60s and '70s, and nowadays we have Poles, Lithuanians, Swedes and Romanians in the same role), these mostly did well enough but they tended to be very segregated from mainstream society which has left the second generation of these people in kind of a weird situation as they grow up in segregated neighborhoods and attend the worst schools and aren't employed on a large scale because they lack the skills and cheap labor costs of their parents (or something like that).

The whole refugee and asylym system is pretty much just a disaster separate from other kinds of immigration,. I think part of the problem is that we expected that we could fully accomdodate and integrate these communities by means of extensive bureacracies and instituitons to manage, house and educate them. In my opinion this has only further exacerbated the problem, as rather than being "forced" to participate in society by working and such they are pretty much sheltered from the rest of society, alienating them even further. They can't get work because they are pretty much unemployable, they don't know proper Norwegian because they only really associate with the other asylum seekers and their own family, and many develop a lingering resentment for the host society that shelters them. In my home municipality the local asylum institution has been the target of arson from "inmates" (don't know the proper word to use) something like 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years.

I believe that "proper integration" (or assimilation) is not something that can be managed by a bureaucracy and institutions. It can only really come about if new arrivals participate in society at large by working and living in it, rather than being sheltered in institutions or living in segregated communities because their parents weren't really expected to stay in the country. But that's just my opinion.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

Actually I think large amounts of oil revenue is or was a strong contributing factor to the present state of affairs, so that is "from the land".

Norway was already doing quite well for itself and most pieces of the welfare state were in place some time before oil became a thing, which wasn't really until the 1970s and didn't really take off truly until after OPEC started getting uppity at which point we became absurdly wealthy. Though the revenue the state is making off oil, owning some 50-60% stock in Statoil, is invested around the globe and saved rather than used to complement existing state revenue, though the oil thing helps in that it has created a whole bunch of well-paying jobs.

TLDR: Norway has a poo poo-ton of money that's basically buried, bet Swedes are jealous.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Nobody likes Oslo anyway, you can have it

gently caress all you Westerners, Northerners and Southerners, Eastern pride forever! There's great places in Oslo like that roundabout with the flowers where I once got drunk, and the video store in Bjerke and that pizza place that used to have really cheap beers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nagel posted:

How are you defining Oslo as geographically eastern? And cheap beer, is that relative to usual Norwegian prices?:)

Oslo is eastern in that its in the "East country" part of Norway, don't know if you're Norwegian but the general division of Norway is as follows: North Norway (Nord-Norge), West country (Vestlandet), Trøndelag (dunno what to call this in English, its roughly in the middle), South country (Sørlandet) and East country (Østlandet). The division is mostly based on rough culture, geography and language/dialect.

And yes that is cheap beer relative to usual Norwegian prices, about 30 NOK for 40cL if memory serves me right (place was frequented by alcoholics, there's also a very similar pizza restaurant in Drammen, another eastern city, where I was born).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 21, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I've been wondering about something. Norway seem to have a lot of policies directed at keeping the countryside alive. Meanwhile Sweden isn't doing anything in particular about it, save for moving some administrative authorities to smaller towns afaik. Have the Norweigian policies had any effect on the demographics of the countryside though? Or is the general trend still people moving to larger cities?

Part of the reason might be that Norwegians often have a very strong sense of regional identity and that the population is somewhat more distributed around the country than is the case in Sweden. something like 50% of the population nowadays does live in the south-east (Østlandet, where Oslo is), and something like 60-70% of the country's population growth is there as well (mostly Oslo and environs). Also recent governments have made steps towards increased centralization, such as closing local hospitals and such.

It should also be mentioned that we have a history of local governments having quite alot of authority as well as a vocal political party whose entire focus is on decentralized government, preserving agriculture and staying out of the EU and being notoriously mercenary in that they will work with and support just about anyone as long as they get what they want (Senterpartiet).

Also Scandinavian politics thread would be cool. I made a thread about the Norwegian elections last year, but it died when there wasn't much left to talk about. If we add the Swedes and the Danes we should be doing fine, the Finnish politics thread seems to be doing fine on its own (why is that?).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I'm working on a new OP, but in the meantime feel free to PYF political music in a scandinavian language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxfztPJYzHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgxLOgLDqmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyWd954_VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyWd954_VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX59IkopWD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-K92DnUS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3O5ZobWB3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPErJPq-VEw

e: oops didn't see the "political" in that. eh, gently caress it. the first two are kinda poltical, rest are just norwegian and one danish song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZg2pEokcFw <--- poltiical in that its about workers and communists used to (and probably still do) like them

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 29, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So "sosse" in Swedish is something you call social democrats? I found that kind of funny because "soss" in Norway is what some would call the people hosting that party, its a kind of insult aimed at (more often young) people who are very obviously upper class in their appearance and mannerism.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wq7WUUX8U4

Not the best from that show, but its a political parody bit and it features the former leader of Norwegian LO (Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions).

e: seems its only the bits with that guy in (though I seem to recall that "Operasjon Rettferdighet" is the plot of an entire episode and not just a sketch in it), and he's mostly just talking about older overhead projectors.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, as this is kind of turning into the general Scandinavian thread (or at least it is my understanding that a new thread will), it seems the Norwegian government have said that they will not apply to host the 2022 Winter Olympics in Oslo.
It's a matter that's been going on for quite a while. The idea has been popular and championed by various Norwegian sports and athletic associations as well as the Conservatives (Høyre) in Oslo where roughly 50% have been positive to the idea, whereas outside the capital people have really been very much against it, mostly arguing along the lines that it will be massively expensive and the money can be better spent elsewhere, compounded by the fact that everything done in Oslo usually ends up massively delayed and over budget, there's also people in general not liking the IOC for being a bunch of corrupt assholes.

So there's that, not really all that interesting, but it's something.

e: Seems they also demanded that the government foot the bill for a cocktail party with the king amongst many other demands such as complete control over ads displayed in the city.

e2: only remaining choices are Almaty and Beijing, pretty hilarious actually.

e3: some of the IOC list of demands, supposedly it's 7000 pages long in its full glory http://www.vg.no/sport/ol-2022/ioc-krever-gratis-sprit-paa-stadion-og-cocktail-fest-med-kongen/a/23306598/

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I like Hövlervivisa posted on the last page, but what does "Me stainnjpunkt te sin stainnj" mean? Nynorsk or whatever dialect that is is crazy hard to understand sometimes.

Nynorsk is actually not a dialect, it is exclusively a written language :eng101:
Norwegian has two written variants, bokmål which was based on the spoken Danish-Norwegian hybrid of the middle and upper class, mostly from the south east and particularly from Oslo. Nynorsk as a written language is an approximate mix of the dialects of rurual Norwegians, created by a priest and teacher (Ivar Aasen) who travelled around to study the dialects of ordinary people and create a Norwegian written language. Both were created in the nationbuilding environment of the 19th century.

Here's a map over usage, blue is Nynorsk, red is Bokmål, grey is neutral.

Use of Nynorsk has been steadily declining, though the official TV and radio stations are required to have a certain portion of content in Nynorsk to keep it going, Bokmål is much more heavily used and is what is written most frequently in the 3 largest cities (Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim). The language issue "Målsaken" is a frequent political issue in Norway, where the proponents of Nynorsk are passionate about keeping it alive against the onslaught of Bokmål, and many people are against it because they don't like it and can't really write it and they can get a lot of support from young people who are against it pretty much simply because it is part of your grade in Norwegian in high school. You also have many (mostly upper class) people in Western Oslo and Akershus who absolutely loathe Nynorsk and actually prefer a form of old Bokmål, called Riksmål, which is essentially Danish.

In the '50s the Labor Party attempted to end the language issue by combining Bokmål and Nynorsk into a simple language called Samnorsk (similar to what is often called "Radical Bokmål"). This was a spectacular failure and met with resistance from both proponents of Nynorsk (though serious attempts at introducing Samnorsk were not really done in those parts of the country) and, especially, parents in Oslo who took to protesting and correcting their children's textbooks so they would not learn to speak like peasants and communists.

e: Also many of the dialects of Trøndelag, particularly in the north of that region, are normally depicted as almost completely incomprehensible to other Norwegians because of their tendency to "talk inwards", quickly and mumble like crazy. I think Vømmøl are from Nord-Trøndelag, but at least the way they sing is generally mercifully understandable to most. Also note that Trøndelag is mostly neutral in regards to written language or they use Bokmål. There is a relation between your dialect and the written language you are likely to use, but your spoken language may be very different from how you write either way.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What does a democracy minister do? That sounds a bit like a made up title to my ears.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is/Was this an actual SD poster?
Using vikings in your political slogans and imagery is not only silly, it's also jumping feet first into the nazi pool.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

adhuin posted:

He's from much worse place than that: the Finnish-thread

Also what's wrong with Vikings? We Finns are proud of our (non-existent) Viking heritage!

Well, they might have been a bunch of highly destructive pirates who pillaged, raped and enslaved people throughout northern and eastern europe for about 200 years to put it simply. But that's not really it, the problem is that the people who use vikings and such as an ideal and use them in political imagery and such tend to be of the slightly fascist persuasion or at least that's the implication because of the history of who have admired vikings and how. So nothing wrong with vikings in and of themselves (except for what's pointed out in my first sentence), it's just when you mix them up in politics, I guess you get what I'm trying to say.

e: Also, if anything you Finns were the victims of Vikings. Though, I guess time heals all wounds.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rutkowski posted:

EDIT: Also, the vikings weren't as much raiders as traders during their heyday. They did raid and comitted a lot of atrocities but trade was their prime source of income.

I guess I'm operating with the Saga definiton that viking is specifically warriors who go off on a (pirate) expedition, rather than meaning "viking" to mean Scandinavian peoples in general during that time. Alot of Scandinavians during this time period were on the move for various reasons, though population increase and lack of arable land seems to be a big one, far more people travelled to the British isles as settlers than as raiders for example and made their way way in the world through trade (though it should be kept in mind that pretty much the most valuable trade good they acquired were slaves who were sold to Byzantium and the Islamic world).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheFluff posted:

In other news I've updated the OP and PM'ed a mod to ask for a title change. I sorta efforted out on it, if you want to improve on it feel free to :justpost:

I was thinking of offering to slightly edit my old OP for the Norwegian Parliamentary Election thread from last year, but I can't seem to find it. If you want to I could do a short write up on the Norwegian political scene for the OP, which, especially if I can locate my old OP, should be a matter of very little effort.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alhazred posted:

This is all you need to know about the Norwegian political scene:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Woke up early with a cold and thought I'd begin doing that write-up. Here's the parties currently in parliament and what I think I know about them. Feel free to point out typos and anything you feel is missing or just wrong.

PARTIES IN THE NORWEGIAN PARLIAMENT

Høyre (Conservative Party) - IN GOVERNMENT
Last election result: 26.8% (48 seats)
Number of mayors: 125/428
Identifier: (H)
Ideology: (neo)liberalism, conservatism (also social democracy, but don’t tell anyone)
Leader: Erna Solberg (prime minister)

Second oldest political party in Norway, originally the party of bureaucrats, monarchists and the traditional upper class, today they are pretty much a typical European conservative party with notable neo-liberal tendencies. Everyone expected them to do well in the last election, and in many ways, they did just that, but they could have done a lot better, chalk it up to a very uneven campaign leading up to the election. Their pet issues are lower taxes, increased centralization and education reform (they tend to favor a school with more tests and surveys and such). The typical Høyre-voter is a wealthy, educated person from one of the larger cities or their suburbs.

Fremskrittspartiet (The Progress Party) - IN GOVERNMENT
Last election result: 16.3% (29 seats)
Number of mayors: 11/428
Identifier: (FrP)
Ideology: liberalism, libertarianism, populism, conservatism, anti-immigration, etc
Leader: Siv Jensen (finance minister)

Founded as “Anders Lange’s Party for a strong reduction in taxes, duties and public intervention” by notable egg liqueur swilling, Viking sword-wielding journalist Anders Lange for exactly the purpose spelled out in its name. They have undergone some changes since then, perhaps most notably a name change, and have been most notable for their anti-immigration rethoric (particularly as regards Muslims) in the last two decades. Two elections back they were the second largest party in parliament but have lost a lot of votes to Høyre recently, possibly because their current leader Siv Jensen does not possess nearly as much firebrand outrageousness as former leader Carl I. Hagen or other party personalities such as Per Sandberg (build a wall in Greece to keep out immigrants) and Christian Tybring-Gjedde (rear end in a top hat). They’ve also been remarkably tame in their new minority coalition government with Høyre. Their typical voters are working class and middle class people who are attracted to the promise of reduced immigration and lower taxes and share their anti-elitist bent.

Arbeiderpartiet (The Labor Party)
Last election result: 30.8% (55 seats)
Number of mayors: 155/428
Identifier: (AP)
Ideology: Social democracy (also neo-liberalism)
Leader: Jonas Gahr Støre

Possibly the most influential political party in modern Norwegian history, having had majority governments various times in the post-war years allowed them to shape the country as they saw fit, what Norway is today is inarguably largely their doing. They aren’t quite what they used to be as they haven’t been able to win clear majorities in elections since the ‘90s and their two-term coalition partnership starting in 2005 with Sp and SV was the first time they ever led a coalition government. I’d say that their new leader Jonas Gahr Støre is the perfect example of what you get when you vote for AP; a competent, reliable, stern statesman with a pragmatist streak and a little bit of charm. In most ways however AP is a center-left party that like most other labor parties in Europe have adopted quite a bit of neo-liberalism in the last two decades, they also remain supporters of Norwegian NATO membership and are usually proponents of increased centralization. Their typical voters are basically anyone not likely to vote for any of the other parties, but immigrants (when they actually vote) are likely to vote for them as are many unionized workers (they have a very close relationship with Norwegian LO).

Venstre (Liberal Party)
Last election result: 5.2% (9 seats)
Number of mayors: 10/428
Identifier: (V)
Ideology: Social liberalism (with a certain libertarian streak), environmentalism
Leader: Trine Skei Grande

Norway’s oldest political party, starting out as the party favoring increased local autonomy and expansion of voting rights. They’ve undergone quite a few changes ever since then, fracturing several times to give birth to splinter parties and are today mostly notable for being almost completely irrelevant. They have been somewhat notable in the past years for their refusal to work with FrP on most issues, they went back on this after the last election, saying that their support of the new minority coalition government would allow the party to implement policies that they favor and such. Their voters are few, and are mostly in the large cities and I believe they are usually young and educated (or students).

Senterpartiet (Center Party)
Last election result: 5.5% (10 seats)
Number of mayors: 94/428
Identifier: (Sp)
Ideology: Centrism, agrarianism, EU-skepticism, nationalism (of the older romanticist bent)
Leader: Trine Skei Grande

Originally known as Bondepartiet (the Farmers’ Party), representing the interests of Norwegian farmers, they might also have formed the core of what became Nasjonal Samling (Norway’s Nazi Party before and during WWII, but nevermind that). Their primary issues include keeping Norway as far away from the EU as possible (they mobilized a lot of support when the country voted on whether to join the union or not), keeping the countryside alive and populated, preserving Norwegian agriculture and local industry and killing every last wolf and bear remaining in the country. They haven’t done particularly well in recent elections but they have a staunch core of supporters located in the west and south of the country and are likely to remain kind-of-sorta-relevant, particularly in local politics. Also kind of notorious for being very mercenary in who they will work with to achieve their ends, though recently they had an internal debate about whether to stick with the Red-Greens or seek closer relations to the Blues. Their typical voter is someone employed in agriculture or living far out in the districts.

Kristelig Folkeparti (Christian Democratic Party)
Last election result: 5.6% (10 seats)
Number of mayors: 19/428
Identifier: (Krf)
Ideology: Christian democracy
Leader: Knut Arild Hareide

They’ve been a fixture of Norwegian politics since 1945, particularly due to their consistent support from voters in Norway’s Bible belt, though they aren’t even close to the force they almost were during the ‘90s under Kjell Magne Bondevik (who was prime minister). Think of them like the typical Christian democrats; they like the social welfare parts of social democracy well enough and are generally in favoring of extending such policies and offering increased aid to developing countries, they have also in the past supported policies that pay women to be stay-at-home moms (though I believe they’ve abandoned that), and are opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage. They like to think of themselves as “non-socialist” rather than “bourgeois” (“borgerlig” is the standard moniker for the Norwegian right-wing). They support the current minority coalition government of H and FrP, initially gaining concessions in the form of introducing measures that would allow doctors to refrain from recommending abortion clinics and such (after this turned out to be very unpopular across the spectrum, they backpedalled). Their voters are Christians from the Bible belt, pure and simple.

Sosialistisk Venstreparti (Socialst Left Party)
Last election result: 4.1% (7 seats)
Number of mayors: 3/428
Identifier: (SV)
Ideology: Socialism, feminism, environmentalism, that whole thing
Leader: Audun Lysbakken

Formed as an offshoot of AP when many members and voters opposed their entry into and support of NATO. SV aims to represent a left-wing alternative to AP. They recently came out of their first ever turn at government and looked poised for a disastrous election, and things didn’t go that well, but they could certainly have been a lot worse. They might be able to pull themselves back up as they have always been the quintessential opposition party, but as for now they will have to deal with less seats in parliament than they’ve had in a long time and losing environmentalist votes to MDG. One of their core issues has been education where they are in direct opposition to Høyre’s vision of the ideal school being one of tests and surveys, they are also one of the most outspoken feminist parties in parliament. Typical voters are educated women, teachers and students.

Miljøpartiet De Grønne (Green Party)
Last election result: 2.8% (1 seat)
Number of mayors: 0/428
Identifier: (MDG)
Ideology: Green
Leaders/Spokespersons: Hilde Opoku and Rasmus Hansson

The Green movement is kind of a new thing in Norwegian politics, environmentalism has mostly been split between SV and V and the party had no presence in parliament until last year’s election had them gain enough votes in Oslo to gain a single seat. They say that they do not see politics in terms of Red and Blue (that’s left and right), but “Green and Grey”, they want society to be locally self-sufficient and all that stuff, people expect them to co-operate with the Red-Greens in the future, as they already do in Trondheim’s city council. Other than that they are currently just the one guy in parliament, their voters I would guess are mostly the same people who would vote for SV or V but who consider environmentalism to be far more important than other issues those parties represent.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 4, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'll get to fixing that with the photos

e: fixed

e2: might get around to writing about common issues (education, centralization, handlingsregelen, begging, immigration and so on) and such later today since i won't really be doing much else today than blowing my nose and feeling sorry for myself.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 4, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

White Rock posted:

So you only have a 2% cut off? Wow, that must really change the political landscape. The 4% cutoff in Sweden had several of the tiny right wing parties running for their lives this election year, they managed to stay in government though.

It's funny how by and large you can kinda see the exactly same parties as in Sweden, but with percentages and slight difference of issues.

No, it's 4% in Norway as well. MDP simply happened to do just well enough in Oslo to get one guy in.

But, yeah it is very interesting to see the parties being very, very similar to Sweden.

Also puts SV's terrible election in context, just a few thousand less votes and they would probably only have 2 people in Parliament, their leader as well was dangerously close to not making it, so it could have ended up being only 1. I voted for them for that reason (in addition to ensuring that AP has someone to pull them leftwards on some issues at the very least) because it seemed my vote made the biggest difference that way.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 4, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Atal Vataman posted:

I'm really annoyed with mdp. the outer left seems to have bled a bunch of votes to them, even though the party is more of a center party. Considering their actions on the local level before the elections, i'm surprised that they managed to do what they did. i guess the environment is such a hot topic that people don't care about the rest of their policies.

SV got out of the coalition government really badly. I guess it boils down to how they failed to be anything more than an extension of AP and their policies while in power. if you are a small party, your most important asset is your integrity. i miss kristin halvorsen, lysbakken seems like a such a twat in comparison

A friend of mine, who is somewhat sympathetic to MDG because he's had an environmentalist epiphany, said that he was seriously considering voting for MDG but ended up with SV primarily because he took a look on many of their proposed policies and he said that there was a whole bunch of bullshit there. I think he even used a word somewhat like "regressive". I can't really remember what examples he gave me though. Do you maybe know what he might have been talking about? To be honest I don't really know much, if anything, about MDG except the basics and that I have decided I don't really like them.

Audun Lysbakken is kind of arrogant, yeah

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder why SV came out of the coalition government so much worse than Sp. You say that they failed to be more than an extension of AP while it was going on, but at the time they weren't that much smaller than Sp. Though Sp by no means had a fantastic election they weren't seriously weakened as a party, nor did they seem to have to compromise their issues and integrity (maybe Sp has no integrity?) much while in government either.

I would guess that part of the answer to that lies in Sp being traditionally further from both AP and Sp politically and the fact that they actually do surprisingly well in local elections and have a much stronger base in local as opposed to national politics so parliamentary election results and seats in parliament are kind of deceptive. Or something like that. I don't really know what it is, but something about Sp fascinates me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Well, they had allow gays to marry to each other.

I didn't even remember that they actually were against that!
Still they did seem to get to do their thing to a greater extent than SV got to whilst in government.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alhazred posted:

What did they do? I can't remember anything.

You might have got me there :downs:
When I actually think about it, beyond Liv Signe Navarsete claiming the bridge over the Hardangerfjord as their achievment I can't really think of much myself. I guess they cheered when people shot wolves or something. I just feel that they must have done something to not have ended up as poorly as SV did, but it's probably not that at all.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do you guys use a German name anyway? Please rename it to something ending in -ting.

It's not a German name though. There just happens to exist a very similar name for the same thing in German as well.

e: Also the Swedish usage of the term is almost as old (if not just as old) as the German usage of it (in the Holy Roman Empire, where it was initially named the Hoftag or something).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Atal Vataman posted:

Oh poo poo, the first budget from the H/FRP government is out. I wonder who will get hosed over this time. its definitely not the rich

Any details? I've heard many people say that if anybody should be hugely disappointed with this budget it should be people who voted for FrP as they haven't gotten nearly the amount of money allocated to things they want to spend money on like roads and cutting taxes and duties.

e: nevermind, reading about it now

e2: hah, estimated that Norway's 10 richest get an average of 12.5 million NOK in tax cuts each. 8.3 billion in tax cuts total, 4.1 billion of that is property tax cuts.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 8, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They're basically using the old job creators argument aren't they?

e: yup, job creators. Norway has like ~3% unemployment.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 8, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also seems NRK has to cut 300 million NOK, so we can pay a little less than like 1400 a year or something to get decent TV, radio and web news.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Falukorv posted:

In one of the final debates preceding the election Jan Björklund went on about Ingvar Kamprad, the great creator, being forced to relocate to Holland due to the punishing taxes. Poor Kamprad :qq:

I thought he moved to Switzerland to escape those nasty taxes and that he is basically Scrooge McDuck (he only flies economy, buys everything on sale and pockets salt and pepper packets from restaurants) with a hint of fascism.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Not that we've been posting that much about Scandinavia recently, but maybe, just MAYBE, it's best to keep that whole Israel/Palestine poo poo-fest far away from a thread not about that topic at all, because its gonna end up being closed or gassed or something.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol, there hasn't been an example of a civil I/P thread being gassed in a long while.

Also claiming that I/P has nothing to do with the Nordics when it's something that has always been a big issue in the Nordics and just got more relevant is odd to say the least. The only 2 western nations to recognize Palestine are Nordic and while I can't speak for the rest it's always been one of the bigger foreign policy issues.
The amount of people I met that were just voting because 'we want better roads also tired of the left' was as sad as it was baffling. Then again, at least a few of them are rich bastards so they weren't that far off in their assessment...

You're probably right, but Israel/Palestine always becomes a shitfest anyways and should be discussed apart from other topics, in the same way that its kept out of the general Middle East thread.

e: Norwegians are once again told that there is an increased danger of terrorist attacks in connection ISIS encouraging supporters in the West to attack civilian, police, political and military targets (basically anything), don't know why they'd think Norway is more at risk than any other European country though. Also heard Erna Solberg on the radio in relation to this say that Norway will not allow a terrorist organization to dictate our security policy just as she announces that measures must be taken to address the heightened terrorist threat from ISIS, which I found pretty ironic, she should think things through before she says something.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 5, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Shale oil technology is working hard to prove you wrong in the coming years.

Eh, Statoil has invested quite heavily in the extraction of shale oil in both Canada and the northern US anyway, so we'd have ownership of some of that anyway.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Why would they only include Pakistanis in the Norway survey? Things are far worse for the Somalis and Romani, anyway, Pakistanis are one of the most established immigrant groups in Norway with most having come to the country in the 1960-1970s.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

eightpole posted:

sweden is a country for babies...

This is true. Swedes are good for nothing other than customer service in Norwegian stores and hotels.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Being the token minority in these parties is a good career move, 'cos you can be dead sure that they're going to get touted like poo poo for it. Himanshu Gulati is another example, also in FrP. FrP imagines that having minorities in prominent positions makes them objectively not-racist.

Also, who wants to guess who gets a go as labour leader once old Jonas is out of the picture? My nose tells me Hadja Tajik, but I hear rumors that the admittedly marginal "everywhere-which-is-not-Oslo" portion of the party really doesn't want another leader from that clique. Any thoughts?

I always figured Mazyar and such for being Pakistanis in Oslo who really don't like Somalis and don't want any more like them showing up (which is a quite common sentiment), though it turns out he's Iranian, though I wouldn't guess that such a sentiment would be uncommon among them as well. Also a lot of Iranian immigrants are rather non-religious and often don't really like Islam all that much.

Tajik is from Stavanger though (or somewhere around there) isn't she? It's possible that Jonas stays leader for quite a while though, he's quite popular and AP is no stranger to having old men as leaders. Give it a while and I would think it likely that one of the older Utøya survivors might make it high, like former leader Eskil Pedersen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ulvir posted:

Norway made a decent profit during the first war.

Really? Because if I recall correctly Norway had the highest casualties of any neutral country during the war, most of that due to German u-boats blasting anything they could at the drop of a hat once the British started disguising gunboats as merchant vessels (and then as neutral merchant vessels). I also seem to remember reading that the country suffered a minor famine (and general shortages of goods such as medicine) due to the combination of British blockade of the north sea and German u-boat warfare.
Though I guess people might have made some money off shipping stuff. WWI was pretty hard on Norway as a whole, if not on shipping magnates.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So is it going through? Do H and FrP together with Sp have enough votes to carry it? Because as far as I've gathered there is no way in hell that KrF or SV will support this and AP and V will probably make their members oppose it in parliament (even though many individual parliamentarians might support the measure). loving Sp, back to their good old mercenary ways I see.

Also does this mean I could be going to prison under this law? Because I give money to beggars all the time and often talk with them a bit, does that count as "helping" or "aiding" them, so that I might be put in jail for something I choose to do with my own time and money (and it does not involve drugs or guns or any illegal tender of any kind)?

e: Also I remember sometime last year that the government (I think it was the government) was furious at Bragernes Church in Drammen for having said that they would allow homeless people to sleep and eat in the church during the winter. Anyone know what became of that?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 4, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Yeah but then the local drunks don't accost me every time I go out for groceries/commute/step outside my apartment.

The whole situation is just loving bizarre.

When does this happen? What do you consider being accosted? From what I've experienced (in Oslo and Bergen, I've experienced much worse in Russia and Spain) gypsies who beg mostly just sit on the corner and may ask in a pitiful manner for some change. Do you consider this being accosted? Is it really that loving hard for people to just give them 20+ NOK from time to time? Also I don't give a gently caress if they are "organized" or whatever, which I guess is mostly that they kind of work together with friends and family members and share information on where and how you can actually get some money, because these people are poor as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ligur posted:

You think they will die by being there? What the gently caress? There are close to 100 million people in Syria, Assyria, Kurdistan and Iraq. Who are alive, like.

They also like to kill each other, of course, while while screaming "God is Great". Which they do, with tremendous vigour, day in day out. But those people are automagically dead because of their current place of... I don't know, I suspect moving them to Sweden won't really help much to change their habits or that any more of them will die, either or.

Wow you're dumb.
Hope you have a fun night

• Locked thread