Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
It's being reported by the Washington Post that Robin Williams has died at the age of 63 in an apparent suicide.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dies-at-63/?hpid=z1

I'm both shocked and saddened because of the prevalence of suicide in the world of comedy and to see a legend like Robin Williams join the grim list is horrible. I enjoyed his work in Hook and Mrs. Doubtfire growing up and listening to his stand-up material as an adult made me a fan of his (Robin Williams Live on Broadway from 2002 is a MUST watch).

More sources are confirming this now.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

gently caress :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Goddamn, this is horrible :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat this is an especially tough one personally. I was such a huge fan.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
No :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just shocked :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Terrible news :(

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

poo poo sucks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

From the looks of it he suffered from depression and commited suicide in the end. I hope he can find the peace in death that he couldn't find in life. :(

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat he deserved to have something better than a lovely sitcom be his last work

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Suicide of all things?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I feel guilty now for quitting on The Crazy Ones (it wasn't very good). Loved him in The Fisher King though. This really comes as a shock, he's such a unique talent and a mainstay in comedy and film.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hopefully his former wife will be able to descend to hell and rescue him and bring him back to the light with his children eventually

:unsmith:

:smith::smith::smith:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Feelin' for Zelda right now :(

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
:wtf:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gonna go watch Aladdin, Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Flubber real quick. :(

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Hopefully his former wife will be able to descend to hell and rescue him and bring him back to the light with his children eventually

:unsmith:

:smith::smith::smith:

I feel really loving bad for laughing.

RIP. loving hell.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Now I need to watch my favorite Robin Williams role

Genie in the DTV Alladin and King of 40 thieves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnvjH_I2OQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK9EW7hIgDA
I'll miss you Robin :smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I really enjoyed his performance as wax Teddy Roosevelt in the first Night at the Museum. Also surprised by how good he was as Eisenhower in The Butler. Two thankless roles that could have been just stunt casting, but it made me want to see him in an actual Roosevelt or Eisenhower movie.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zVxTeflon posted:

drat he deserved to have something better than a lovely sitcom be his last work

It's worse. His last work will be Night at the Museum 3.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm going to go home and watch What Dreams May Come and cry twice as hard tonight. :smith:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Op1TaXmCw

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
God drat... This really hits hard. Such a loving shame.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
This sucks, his performance in Good Will Hunting was nothing sort of stellar.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know even though The Bicentennial Man traumatized me as a kid because I saw Sam Neill die of old age and learned about the inevitability of death. Robin Williams was still good in it.

He was also brilliant in Death to Smoochy

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
This might seem a weird place to post this, but to shazbot with it;

If you or anyone you know is struggling and needs to talk to someone, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Life is super important. :(

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
This sucks :-(. Looks like I am watching Death to Smoochy tonight in memory of him :-(

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Oh god, I forgot about World's Greatest Dad until just now.

:cry:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JackMackerel posted:

I feel really loving bad for laughing.

RIP. loving hell.

I feel bad for making the joke, but I figure, laugh so you don't cry, kiddo. :unsmith:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
His last tweet was a celebration of his daughter's birthday. I wish someone told him there were people who admired him who were born on August 11th. Maybe he would have lived long enough to find some help. :smith:

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 12, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
drat.

I'm not as sad as I should be. Should I try to recall some movies from my childhood? I'm coming up short.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great Clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."
- Alan Moore, "Watchmen"
Rest In Peace, Comedian

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Probably the saddest I've ever felt about a celebrity death?? drat

edit: Help me out here people. I'm seeing this "But, doctor... I am Pagliacci." thing posted everywhere right now from Watchman... was Robin Williams in the movie and I just forgot? Is the joke referencing a Robin Williams movie? I'm too dumb for this reference help

edit: is it a depression thing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Gonna make his appearance on Louie rewatches awful loving hard to watch.

Supersonic Shine posted:

His last tweet was a celebration of his daughter's birthday. I wish someone told him there were people who admired him who were born on August 11th. Maybe he would have lived long enough to find some help. :smith:

On a brighter note, happy birthday :)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can't believe this. Knew he suffered from a ton of problems - not least addiction, but gently caress. I was literally just watching this... Can you call it an interview?? Whatever it is, it's loving insane:
http://youtu.be/IF7TXHDwpX8

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Macaluso posted:

edit: Help me out here people. I'm seeing this "But, doctor... I am Pagliacci." thing posted everywhere right now from Watchman... was Robin Williams in the movie and I just forgot? Is the joke referencing a Robin Williams movie? I'm too dumb for this reference help

...Robin Williams was a deeply depressed but really funny person who made everyone laugh but himself. You know. Like Pagliacci. That is the reference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

Probably the saddest I've ever felt about a celebrity death?? drat

He wasn't in the movie, I think people are quoting it because it describes his situation pretty well.

Although he's hardly the first comedian to suffer from depression and commit suicide.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
drat. That really sucks.

I recorded Good Morning Vietnam on my DVR a year ago and haven't watched it. I'm going to do that tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

gently caress. What? No!
This is horrible and I'm sorry for his family.

• Locked thread