Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Is that a problem?

Yes, where were all these stories hiding before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blue Star posted:

If loving Robin Williams succumbed to depression, what chance does someone like me have?

Please consider medication. I have suffered crippling depression my entire life, and it has only gotten worse as certain traumatic events happened. I was in the depths of despair and lost the best girlfriend I've ever had because of it, and had stopped talking to people almost entirely except for work. Then I was able to get (unpaid) medical leave from work, and spent a few weeks speaking to various therapists finding the right one for me. After three weeks and eight failures I did, and then spoke to a doctor about getting a prescription for an antidepressant, I have been on plenty before like wellbutrin, but can no longer swallow pills due to throat scarring. If you need a suggestion to talk to your doctor about, I currently take the liquid form of Citalopram, the generic of Celexa. It along with therapy has immeasurably improved my life, allowed me to socialize and look at things optimistically, instead of just being so cripplingly sad and despairing all the time.

It's never a bad time to talk to someone and seek help. If you are suffering from depression, please don't let it fester and encroach on your mind, it pollutes everything and makes nothing enjoyable anymore. It is a constant weight that even now I still deal with, but my therapy, medication, and improving my diet has galvanized my ability to push the negative thoughts away and enjoy life.

I have talked four people out of suicide and to seek help, and I've been told I should look into becoming a psychotherapist, but I'm not really one for that sort of thing on a constant basis, as it can be depressing itself as you help someone through their problems, especially empathizing with them can be incredibly exhausting, but I'd rather shoulder that burden than stand by and do nothing. Nobody doing anything even when there were signs he was very depressed is why a childhood friend of mine hung himself in middle school, and it haunted my sister for the rest of her life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Steve Yun posted:

That's the saddest part about these unexpected deaths, you only hear these amazing stories when the person is already gone.

Ryan Davis, who suddenly died right after he got married at age 32, is a prime example of this, as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Steve Yun posted:

People just don't tend to tell them, though I'm pretty sure they exist out there somewhere before all this. It's what happens when someone dies, you tell stories of them at their best. There doesn't seem a reason to when they're still alive, which is sad but there we are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

Being none of your business?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's never a bad time to talk to someone and seek help. If you are suffering from depression, please don't let it fester and encroach on your mind, it pollutes everything and makes nothing enjoyable anymore.
This can't be stressed enough. If you are suffering from depression, get help. It took me way too long to follow that advice, and as a result I basically lived in a haze for a decade. While I was able to function well enough to do most of my school work, I couldn't enjoy anything and basically went on with my existence as a mindless automaton just going through the motions and avoiding social contact because I figured no one would want to have anything to do with me anyway.

When you're depressed, you might think "eh, I'm not doing that badly compared to some other people, I don't need any help, I can deal with this myself" even while you're also thinking of the most reliable and painless way to commit suicide or at least wishing you could somehow erase yourself from existence and memory. When I had such thoughts, I figured them to be completely normal; after all, it wasn't like anyone would care if I disappeared, and a lot of people would probably be glad if I did.

Depression loving sucks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

OH NO MAN posted:

This can't be stressed enough. If you are suffering from depression, get help. It took me way too long to follow that advice, and as a result I basically lived in a haze for a decade. While I was able to function well enough to do most of my school work, I couldn't enjoy anything and basically went on with my existence as a mindless automaton just going through the motions and avoiding social contact because I figured no one would want to have anything to do with me anyway.

When you're depressed, you might think "eh, I'm not doing that badly compared to some other people, I don't need any help, I can deal with this myself" even while you're also thinking of the most reliable and painless way to commit suicide or at least wishing you could somehow erase yourself from existence and memory. When I had such thoughts, I figured them to be completely normal; after all, it wasn't like anyone would care if I disappeared, and a lot of people would probably be glad if I did.

Depression loving sucks.

I've not been feeling 'right' for a long time, and all of this has spurned me into actually making an appointment to see someone. I took the NHS test (Which by all means isn't an aggregation of depression but helps) and the only questions I failed were about thoughts of harming myself and my eating habits (I've taken to massively overeating instead of under eating).

It could be nothing, but I can't even do the things I used to enjoy anymore.

At the end of the day just getting checked out won't hurt one bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please remember to not just settle for any therapist. Find one who works for you. I went through eight who did not work for me, either I wasn't their specialty age range, or specialty type of affliction, or they just didn't click with me(one was a 65 year old dude whose knowledge of video games and pop culture was "that Wii thing I read about in the paper, right?", so there was a massive generation gap between us). It doesn't hurt to take time off of work if you can get it, even unpaid, to make sure you focus entirely on bettering yourself and your situation. If I had to work while trying to set up and get to appointments during those weeks, I would've gone nutty.

Always remember: it can get better. Even after I've lost almost everything I have and everyone I love or is important to me multiple times, I've still forced myself to get back up.

I think the most important thing for anyone who is depressed, is to find something basic to live for. Something that can't just be defined and met and that's it, goal over. My personal reason to live(although it's not the only thing, it's the one I can count on when I have nothing else and have reached the bottom of the barrel) is "to watch the direction humanity goes in the future, to see what advances in technology and medicine we make during my lifetime, for as long as I can". This type of goal or basic belief can help you find meaning when everything seems pointless.

Also, if you are uninsured or poor, it doesn't mean you have zero options. If nothing else, there are hotlines such as The Samaritans(for Massachusetts residents) who provide counseling, emotional support, and just someone to talk to, staffed by volunteers who are totally willing to listen to your problems, or just chit-chat if you want for a while, for free. I'm sure there's plenty of similar organizations in other areas as well. My stepfather and my sister's former boyfriend both work/worked there and have helped dozens of people who felt like they had no other options.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the saddest part about these unexpected deaths, you only hear these amazing stories when the person is already gone.

Ryan Davis, who suddenly died right after he got married at age 32, is a prime example of this, as well.
The dude died on his honeymoon.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There was a TV series in the 80s called "Monsters." It was like Twilight Zone or Tales from the Darkside but it specifically focused on various kinds of monsters. One episode had a guy who cured diseases in people by causing them to manifest as monstrous physical entities that he could fight and kill. I really I wish I had that power. I really want to kill some depression. I want to kill it and make it hurt while it dies, because it's hurt me by taking Robin Williams. It's hurt the entire world by taking him. Rest in Peace, Mr. Williams. God are we going to miss you.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Critical posted:

I am fortunate to have met this wonderful man, possibly during one of his bad days. And on one of his bad days he was a better person than most on their best of days.

I worked at a Barnes and Noble in Colorado Springs for the back half of 2003. He walked in as incognito as possible without wearing a full out disguise. Baseball hat pulled really low, coat with the collar up, unshaven. Except he was Robin loving Williams and you would have to be blind to not notice him if you took a good look. I was working the info desk and when he looked up briefly my eyes bugged out of my head. Before I could nudge my co-worker and start spinning in a circle and screaming he put a finger gently to his lips and lowered his head.

I somehow managed to ask him if he needed help finding anything as he walked by. You know the over the top rich and snooty voice he used to do all the time? Imagine that but much more subtle and realistic. That's how he said "No thank you, just going to browse quietly."

I took the hint and kind of ran interference for him, keeping other employees from bothering him as much as possible. A few minutes later he is at my right, softly excusing himself and asking if I would ring him up. I assume he wanted to avoid a cashier going bugfuck and fawning over him.

I still had a few minutes at info but asked a co-worker if I could ring up a customer I had been helping, since that happened once in a while. I rang him up quickly, not bugging him about our stupid loving discount card, but couldn't help myself. I told him I had just bought his Live on Broadway DVD and nearly pissed myself laughing, as well as my wife laughing so hard she had an asthma attack. His eyes lit up and he smiled genuinely, asked if my wife was now ok, and handed me me cash for his book.

After I gave him his change he asked "Do you need me to sign for my credit card?" I gave him the receipt, he took a moment to sign it, and handed it back by shaking my hand. I thanked him, and he replied "No, thank you, Critical" and left. Notice he actually, you know, bothered to use my name after reading my name tag. I looked at the receipt and this was the inscription:

Critical,
Next time just pee and send me the cleaning bill.
[Signature]

In my move back across country I misplaced the autograph. I was annoyed at the time but now I really wish I had it.

Having struggled with depression myself (I was actually in a locked mental ward for a couple weeks due to SI, I admitted myself) the fact that such a kind and gentle and genuinely good person losing the battle to that disease is heartbreaking.

I hope that, for an instant in his life, he knew how much he was loved.

This was lovely, thank you for sharing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Admiral Bosch posted:

This was lovely, thank you for sharing.

Yeah, that's a fantastic story that demonstrates just how naturally cool he was.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Pillory Soft posted:

Comedian Jamie Kilstein was supported by Robin Williams throughout his career (emotionally and, at times, financially), and used to contact him whenever he was having problems in his own life.

Jamie holds it together fairly well, but breaks down in the end. He lost his rock. :smith:

http://wearecitizenradio.com/20140813-remembering-our-friend-robin-williams-updates-on-ferguson-and-mike-brown/

This was a sad but good listen, thank you for sharing. Some great stories from a person who clearly loved him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Captain Invictus posted:

It's how we cope with these things. We look back on the people that touched our lives in some way or another and try to remember them at their best and that's how we tend to try and honour their memory. Regardless of whether or not we were a fan of the guy, Robin Williams was a staple in the media that the majority of the people that post on here consumed and his movies were a staple of most people's childhood and adolescence.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Zelda Williams got harassed off twitter by internet folks posting Photoshopped corpses of Robin. Classy

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Zelda Williams got harassed off twitter by internet folks posting Photoshopped corpses of Robin. Classy

This makes me loving mad. I mean - sure, some people have no decency on the internet, but this is crossing a line big time. Just imagine this happening to you. Your father, who is one of the closest and most influential people in your life, who you know in a way nobody else can, is gone. You never get to see him smile again. You never get to hug him again. And you have to live with the knowledge that he took his own life, despite the close and warm relationship you two had. It literally just happened, yesterday. You can't even cope with it yet. In some ways, you haven't even realized the finality of it. And then, in the middle of all this, you get bombarded by hateful messages and photoshopped pictures of him, your most beloved person. You don't personally care that he was famous - he was your father; as normal and fragile as any man. He could have been a welder and he'd still be just that - your one and only father.

This post doesn't make a single difference to anything, but I just had to vent. drat it, random internet people, learn some empathy and respect. It doesn't only prevent you from making stupid things like this, it'll also make you a happier, more complete person in life.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Twitter is working with the police to find the people who did it, and supposedly 4chan is also tracking them down since Zelda sometimes posts there.

But yea, poo poo like that just boils my blood, some people just have no soul.

Pijonsnodt
Jul 14, 2012
The harassers are big dog Call of Duty LPers. One of them is a somewhat popular partner with Machinima, too.

Some SA people on Twitter compiled all of their account names and were going to start contacting their employers and the Little League team they coach and all of that but they backed off because there are a number of people with similar names in the same area.

Is there any use in posting all of that or is it too internet detective? If the police are already involved, whatever, but this has me in the kind of mood that would really benefit from watching a bunch of video game dipshits and church social groups scrambling to cover their poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's no benefit, you'd have to be 100% certain you're going after the right people otherwise you might hurt the wrong ones.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Crackerman posted:

Speaking of The Fisher King, the whole thing about him running away from the black knight is going to take on another layer of significance now.

Red Knight. I just watched that because of this thread and it's loving heartwrenching. I'm not even going to link it because it will bring everyone down. But it's such a perfect metaphor for depression, he experiences some joy and the Knight is right there ready to take it away again. The only way he can get the joy back is by giving in and finally letting the Red Knight kill him, knowing his pain will be over...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tornhelm posted:

Zelda has released a statement.

The part about the world sharing her family's pain reminds me of the Jenny Fields memorial scene in Garp. As Garp, he wanted to be around as many people as possible who felt the way he did about losing his mother.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In light of recent events The Fisher King feels like Robin Williams' truest role to himself.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Pijonsnodt posted:

The harassers are big dog Call of Duty LPers. One of them is a somewhat popular partner with Machinima, too.

Some SA people on Twitter compiled all of their account names and were going to start contacting their employers and the Little League team they coach and all of that but they backed off because there are a number of people with similar names in the same area.

Is there any use in posting all of that or is it too internet detective? If the police are already involved, whatever, but this has me in the kind of mood that would really benefit from watching a bunch of video game dipshits and church social groups scrambling to cover their poo poo.

If you are talking about here then no, posting personal info is a bannable offence. Yes, the harassers are total scumbags and assholes and I wouldn't feel bad if something happened to them, but here is not the place to go Internet Detective on them. I would just let 4chan and Twitter do their thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The worst thing is that the only thing people like that will regret about this whole thing is that they weren't more careful to avoid being caught.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Arthe Xavier posted:

This makes me loving mad. I mean - sure, some people have no decency on the internet, but this is crossing a line big time. Just imagine this happening to you. Your father, who is one of the closest and most influential people in your life, who you know in a way nobody else can, is gone. You never get to see him smile again. You never get to hug him again. And you have to live with the knowledge that he took his own life, despite the close and warm relationship you two had. It literally just happened, yesterday. You can't even cope with it yet. In some ways, you haven't even realized the finality of it. And then, in the middle of all this, you get bombarded by hateful messages and photoshopped pictures of him, your most beloved person. You don't personally care that he was famous - he was your father; as normal and fragile as any man. He could have been a welder and he'd still be just that - your one and only father.

This post doesn't make a single difference to anything, but I just had to vent. drat it, random internet people, learn some empathy and respect. It doesn't only prevent you from making stupid things like this, it'll also make you a happier, more complete person in life.
I reacted the same way. Before she deleted her account, I sent a tweet to Zelda wishing her all the best in getting through this tough time. I wish she'd gotten more of those messages and less of this sociopathic poo poo. The Internet is like a giant pool that some people just constantly have to piss in. It's loving infuriating.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just don't understand why people see anonymity as an excuse to show that they're completely inhuman.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr E posted:

I just don't understand why people see anonymity as an excuse to show that they're completely inhuman.

Nowadays they don't even use anonymity, check out the social media thread in PFY or god forbid the Freepers thread in D&D.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Mr E posted:

Some people truly believe the only way they'll personally change the world is to make things worse, a self fulfilling prophecy.

Others know they can make positive change, even if it's just one smile at a time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Isn't there some study that showed that anonymity actually reinforces anti-social behavior? I think it was in the Journal of Half-Remembered Anecdotes I Read Sometime Somewhere.

The thing about these fringe jerks that makes them truly despicable is the same thing that makes street harassment so loving obnoxious and infuriating. It betrays such an insecure desire to broadcast your id to someone who doesn't have any power over or personal affiliation with you so that you don't have to deal with it yourself or, gasp, risk exposing your sick ideas to your own friends and family, and finding out, "No, dude, I have no desire to tell a total stranger she has a nice rear end / gloat in her face that her father is dead."

It makes me feel so loving selfish because literally minutes after I found out the news, friends of mine and I were making really crass jokes about it. One of us had even made a joke tweet way back in May about Williams dying, and everyone was joking about how she killed him. I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't understand if people were offended by the way we responded to the tragedy, even though I do believe that there's a very important place for morbid humor as a therapeutic device. It sounds selfish because, like, "What therapy? Did you know him? Were you close?" But I can't ignore how I feel - that I respect Williams' legacy, but I and some friends help each other feel better about his passing through comedy.

But not a one of us would consider harassing the loving family! It's so loving unacceptable and all it does is make me feel such tremendous pity for the family that they have to deal with that, but also shame as I'm reminded that the only thing separating me from the dregs of humanity is the most basic compunction I can think of.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nowadays they don't even use anonymity, check out the social media thread in PFY or god forbid the Freepers thread in D&D.

Trust me, I know, I have people like that on my Facebook, it's just usually "gently caress the poor" (which is awful already), not "hope you weren't already feeling awful about your loved one passing".

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This is so much worse after finding out how nice of a guy Williams was :smith:

rhizomorph
Sep 8, 2007
life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome.
So this morning, I watched World's Greatest Dad for the first time. His recent suicide is a powerful lens into the mechanics of the story. No spoilers, but it's an intense exploration of identity, transference, and projection ("I didn't choose to be born," from the son is all Sartre). If you can, check it out on Netflix, they have a whole RW thing going on right now. Then, afterward, compare "Wheatfield with Crows" by Van Gogh. SIA

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Speaking of his movies, how does Toys hold up? I remember watching it as a kid twice and feeling confused as gently caress; maybe it's different as an adult.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm rewatching Hook right now, after not having seen it for years. Maggie Smith killing it as Wendy at the start. Also, why didn't Moira go with Peter? She's Wendy's granddaughter, they're her children too, she should be part of the adventure too.

Man, Robin Williams is great. :cry:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Death To Smoochy is my favourite Robin William's movie and man, the part where his character nearly kills himself is now pretty hard to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAN17rMMpe0

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm rewatching Hook right now, after not having seen it for years. Maggie Smith killing it as Wendy at the start. Also, why didn't Moira go with Peter? She's Wendy's granddaughter, they're her children too, she should be part of the adventure too.

Man, Robin Williams is great. :cry:
I think the movie wanted to make the point that Moira's belief in Neverland doesn't run as deep as Peter's. Peter Banning denied his past as Peter Pan primarily because of the difficulty he felt reconciling his dimming recollections of Neverland with his life as a high-powered attorney in the mundane world. He believed so strongly that he didn't believe, if that makes any sense.

We don't really have any evidence that Moira actually believed in Neverland the way Wendy and Peter did, or that she had ever visited Neverland herself. After all, Peter met Moira right at the moment he decided to leave Neverland behind.

Thematically, I think Moira represented Peter's anchor to the real world, his motivation for forswearing eternal childhood and continuing on as Peter Banning. He said he stayed in the real world because he wanted to become a father, but his first gaze on Moira sparked that feeling in him in the first place.

Also, Peter didn't exactly go to Neverland on his own terms. Tink more-or-less press-ganged him into it without giving him time to pack.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Mr E posted:

Because that is such an easy ( and cowardly ) thing to do. But what those people forget is, and let me quote this; "with freedom comes great responsibility". On the internet you have the freedom to be whoever you want - you are not limited by social stigmas or have to suffer from shyness. Some people secretly want to be jerks, I guess, and there isn't an easier place to fulfil those fantasies than the internet. I am all in for this social equalizer, but this right here is the dark side of it. People forget cause and effect, they forget responsible behaviour. You'd never go up to Zelda Williams in real life and say to her something like "your dad is dead, haha, oh and did you know that I hated most of his movies? Here's a picture I drew of his corpse". Why? Because you'd be afraid to - you wouldn't want to face the immediate consequences of this action. Thanks to the internet, you don't have to. You can write a stupid, hateful thing, log off and go on with your day. But if you do that, then gently caress you.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Abusive sociopaths get tired of putting on a human face all the time IRL, so they use online harassment as a masturbatory outlet.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
So I worked with Robin on two movies, finding out about this was heart breaking. He was one of the single most amazing people I've ever worked with, especially in front of the camera. He'd make it a point to get to know everyone from the bottom up, without exception. His philosophy was simply that he was never better than anyone there and we were all in it together. Any day that he was on set invariably ended with a huge amount of impromptu standup mini shows and lots of laughs (he liked "mocking" me because I'm from Holland so I got a lot of funny accents thrown my way as he was always trying to figure out what a Dutch accent sounded like). I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing said about him in the industry.

I'm happy that the majority of the responses to this story are so heartwarming and loving, it's just a real shame that there's always a vocal minority of assholes who will try anything to get attention out of this and use this for their own little, petty, agenda. From this site (the horrible GBS thread), to twitter, to wherever. It's frustrating, disrespectful, and just plain hateful. I'll never understand why some people are just in such a hurry to show others how cool they are for not caring. I feel awful for his daughter in particular, imagine having your father die and people you don't even know suddenly start sending you that crap, it's absolutely inhuman.

People die every day, and that's incredibly sad but it is life. I can't mourn all of them. I can, however, mourn someone who has actually touched my life in some way. Whether that is from knowing them or from the joy they brought me through movies or the things they taught me. The world is a little bit darker now without him and I think I should be allowed to feel sad about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I just watched Patch Adams again and holy hell that movie just hits a little too close to this recent tragedy. Completely forgot some of the scenes since I haven't watched it in forever. Tough movie to get through.

• Locked thread