Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

One of my favorite Robin Williams photos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

CloseFriend posted:

Speaking of his movies, how does Toys hold up? I remember watching it as a kid twice and feeling confused as gently caress; maybe it's different as an adult.

Yeah... I watched it recently myself, and I think the primary mistake of that movie is billing itself as a comedy, when it isn't really... funny. It's absurd, but that's not really the same thing. I remember watching it as a kid myself (Mom would go to see anything with Robin Williams), and I remember being really confused by whats going on too. It's got this really interesting dreamlike quality to the narrative and setting, and there are some really great images and metaphors present (for example, there is a part that is a dead on prediction for the existence of combat drones that made me :stare: when I saw it again), and the soundtrack is pretty good. It's less a comedy, and more a poignant exploration of the importance of whimsy in ones life.

Yet another of his works that takes on new meaning after this tragedy. :smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I can't link it right now because I'm at work but there is an amazing video of Williams having a tickle fight with that famous Gorilla Koko that learned sign language. I could watch this for hours. Its on youtube obviously but I'm sure its other places as well.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm rewatching Hook right now, after not having seen it for years. Maggie Smith killing it as Wendy at the start. Also, why didn't Moira go with Peter? She's Wendy's granddaughter, they're her children too, she should be part of the adventure too.

Man, Robin Williams is great. :cry:

I re-watched it the night the news broke, and I still enjoy the hell out of it. Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams going back and forth? Yes please.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My favorite story about the making of Hook is a scene where Hoffman was having some trouble with the lines or something, and Robin quipped from somewhere on set "Try Acting!" like Olivier had said to Hoffman on the set of Marathon Man.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That reminded me of this short behind the scenes bit from Awakenings. I've never seen DeNiro laugh like that.

E: BBC: According to Williams' wife, he had early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 14, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well gently caress. Knowing you have Parkinson's alongside a lifetime of depression, I can see that pushing someone over the edge. gently caress Parkinson's. gently caress degenerative diseases in general, really.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Stare-Out posted:

E: BBC: According to Williams' wife, he had early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Goddamnit, how awful :smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Stare-Out posted:

That reminded me of this short behind the scenes bit from Awakenings. I've never seen DeNiro laugh like that.

Oh man... :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As physical as Robin was as a comedian I can see him thinking that Parkinson's was almost the beginning of the end of his career. That makes this all even more tragic than it already was.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just read about Williams having early-stages of Parkinsons. Really a sad thing, hopefully that wasn't the one thing that pushed him over the edge :smith:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There have been plenty of celebrity deaths over the years that have saddened me, but I'm finding the death of Robin Williams to be hitting me harder than any other, so much so that I'm surprised at it. I guess I kinda forgot how much his movies meant to me as a kid, and how much I admired his more serious roles as I got older. Part of it is certainly the way he died. It's such an insidious disease, and while I don't suffer from it, I know a few that do, and I've seen it hit hard. It's truly a terrible thing to see, and I can't imagine how awful it would be to live with it. To be lost in such blackness without seeing a light on the horizon. Add to that the Parkinson's, it must have been crushing.

I watched Cadillac Man the other day. I had seen it in small parts over the years, but never all the way through. It was in the On Demand menu and I felt like I needed to watch something of his. He's great in it, of course. Watching it, and thinking on it later while also reading about him from strangers and friends and family, I had to break down. He obviously meant so much to so many, and it's a huge loss. There are plenty of his movies I still need to see, so I'll be sure to find them out. I never got to meet the man, which I've always wanted to do, and now that chance is gone. But he's still out there in some shape or form. The movies and standup specials and TV shows are a nice record of a warm, talented man.

A friend of mine out in Keene, NH, where they filmed parts of Jumanji, took a few pictures of the memorial that has sprung up under the Parrish Shoes sign that was painted on a wall for the film and still exists. Seems small, but I've heard it's just gotten bigger.

http://cheshirecountyimages.tumblr.com/post/94727087570/robin-williams-memorial-in-keene-nh-parrish

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Just read about Williams having early-stages of Parkinsons. Really a sad thing, hopefully that wasn't the one thing that pushed him over the edge :smith:
Yeah, though one wonders if it, in part, made him want to end it all before the disease started to wreak havoc and changed how the world would remember him. It's really drat sad.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, though one wonders if it, in part, made him want to end it all before the disease started to wreak havoc and changed how the world would remember him. It's really drat sad.

I think it was more he would lose control over his physical functions and would impact his acting and thus his one outlet to alleviate his depression. Michael J Fox went into semi-retirement over his and he was nowhere near the physical actor Robin Williams was... :(

gently caress, this is just so sad all around, gently caress.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
In a weird way, to me, it's almost little more comforting to think he had a health reason for ending his life.
The thought of it being purely out of depression, being so unhappy with himself, is unbearably sad. Doing it because he didn't want to live with a physical illness is a little more of an agency-reclaiming thing, like Hunter S. Thompson's death. I'm sure it was an impulsive, depression-related low though. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Parkinsons also causes/amplifies depression due to obstructing dopamine production, which likely caused a doomed spiral alongside his pre-existing depression.

I am not in any way saying his death was a good thing or anything but a tragedy. But his death, being such a hugely prominent figure from something often considered a "buck up" whiner problem by ignorant people rather than a legitimate affliction, has definitely made people reflect on their own situation and others'. Calls to suicide hotlines and groups like Samaritans have shot through the roof as people start actively seeking help rather than just burying it and allowing it to eat at them subconsciously.

If I had a crippling degenerative neurological disease such as Parkinsons or alzheimers, I'd definitely be considering life as I know it and whether I'd prefer to go out on a high note, or deteriorate to the point where I can't control my own body or I'm pissing and making GBS threads myself without knowing it. If I wasn't able to think straight after a certain point, I'd probably choose DWD.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Reading about how he tried but failed to kill himself by cutting his wrists just makes me so sad. If he had to go, then he really should have had a dignified way to do it. A way that doesn't forever scar the person who'd have to find his body, and a way that'd allow his final moments to be peaceful. If I was in his position, I would have wanted voluntary euthanasia. For all the relief death promises, suicide is a terribly frightening way to approach that light.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Reading about how he tried but failed to kill himself by cutting his wrists just makes me so sad. If he had to go, then he really should have had a dignified way to do it. A way that doesn't forever scar the person who'd have to find his body, and a way that'd allow his final moments to be peaceful. If I was in his position, I would have wanted voluntary euthanasia. For all the relief death promises, suicide is a terribly frightening way to approach that light.
You have to understand the huge difference between being in a rational state of mind and coming to the conclusion that death is your best option and being suicidal during a bout of depression. I've been in that place and my thoughts have always jumped to violent ends. Even stuff that might not even kill me like throwing myself out of a car. It's not about wanting pain to end or going out with dignity. It's about wanting oblivion, to destroy yourself.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Curious what drugs the toxicology report will find in his system.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It's been a few days and my thoughts haven't really changed. My thoughts being: what :smith:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Vegetable posted:

This is uh.... Quite a post.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, it's weird. I've still had a few random "Wait, Robin Williams is dead." moments the past couple of days. :smith:

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I watched Good Will Hunting for the first time yesterday. It’s a sappy/sentimental as hell film but holy poo poo that “It’s not your fault” scene was quite something after this week.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched The Fisher King and World's Greatest Dad for the first time this week. Enjoyed both. Also rewatched The Birdcage and Jumanji.

At the end of World's Greatest Dad, he should have kept up the charade and lived like a king for the rest of his life. I don't see why he was feeling guilty. He was making sick money and tons of people were getting inspired. But that's just me.

Aeader
Dec 20, 2004

Custom Title

Steadiman posted:

People die every day, and that's incredibly sad but it is life. I can't mourn all of them. I can, however, mourn someone who has actually touched my life in some way. Whether that is from knowing them or from the joy they brought me through movies or the things they taught me. The world is a little bit darker now without him and I think I should be allowed to feel sad about that.

Thank you for articulating that thought so well. It's infuriating when people say "why are you sad it's not like you knew him", though in your case you actually did know him. He touched many of our lives regardless of whether we met him or not.

rhizomorph
Sep 8, 2007
life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome.

Blue Star posted:

I watched The Fisher King and World's Greatest Dad for the first time this week. Enjoyed both. Also rewatched The Birdcage and Jumanji.

At the end of World's Greatest Dad, he should have kept up the charade and lived like a king for the rest of his life. I don't see why he was feeling guilty. He was making sick money and tons of people were getting inspired. But that's just me.

Living a lie is one of the most soul-crushing things you can do, even if it seems to make other people happy. I learned that from serving under DADT in the marines. The film (written by Bobcat Goldthwait) was an allegory for his own life and never being understood by the people who loved only an ideation of him, who shunned the sight of his real face and voice and personal problems that couldn't be sublimated into funny jokes.

There are certain types of anguish that we are conditioned to neglect. Running to parents when you're a child and telling them you're sad makes them just try to convince you that you aren't really sad and your pain is illegitimate ("how can be sad? we feed you and give you stuff to play with") and if you keep it up, you get a ride to the therapist. However, telling them you have a stomach ache or some other somatic issue elicits sympathy, because that's something within their power to treat and diagnose.

In so many ways, we're all just big dumb kids, and we can never truly understand one another. (lmao @ life)

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

falcon menace posted:

Living a lie is one of the most soul-crushing things you can do, even if it seems to make other people happy. I learned that from serving under DADT in the marines. The film (written by Bobcat Goldthwait) was an allegory for his own life and never being understood by the people who loved only an ideation of him, who shunned the sight of his real face and voice and personal problems that couldn't be sublimated into funny jokes.

There are certain types of anguish that we are conditioned to neglect. Running to parents when you're a child and telling them you're sad makes them just try to convince you that you aren't really sad and your pain is illegitimate ("how can be sad? we feed you and give you stuff to play with") and if you keep it up, you get a ride to the therapist. However, telling them you have a stomach ache or some other somatic issue elicits sympathy, because that's something within their power to treat and diagnose.

In so many ways, we're all just big dumb kids, and we can never truly understand one another. (lmao @ life)

I understand and empathize with all of that. I was mostly just being facetious because I felt bad for Williams' character.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was in the supermarket tonight, and I saw a 50ish year old woman stop in her tracks and walk over to a magazine rack. She picked up the People magazine with Robin Williams' smiling face on the cover and kind of contemplated it for a moment. She then kissed Robin's forehead, hugged the magazine to her bosom for a moment, and put it back on the rack, letting hand linger on his face for a second as she walked away.

No one else saw her do this, and she hadn't seen me watching her. She had a look of such pain on her face. I'm not sure why, but it really hit me in the gut.

Behind me, my six year old daughter was singing "fart fart fart-fart, fart fart FART-FART" to the tune of "Farmer in the Dell". It was an odd contrast.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

DangerDummy! posted:

I was in the supermarket tonight, and I saw a 50ish year old woman stop in her tracks and walk over to a magazine rack. She picked up the People magazine with Robin Williams' smiling face on the cover and kind of contemplated it for a moment. She then kissed Robin's forehead, hugged the magazine to her bosom for a moment, and put it back on the rack, letting hand linger on his face for a second as she walked away.

No one else saw her do this, and she hadn't seen me watching her. She had a look of such pain on her face. I'm not sure why, but it really hit me in the gut.

Behind me, my six year old daughter was singing "fart fart fart-fart, fart fart FART-FART" to the tune of "Farmer in the Dell". It was an odd contrast.
From the way I've heard Zelda describe her dad, this sounds exactly like how he would've wanted people to remember him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

From the way I've heard Zelda describe her dad, this sounds exactly like how he would've wanted people to remember him.

There was a moment that I considered telling her to cool out a bit, what with us being out in public and all. But her fart song was important to her at the time, so I just let it go. Kids should be allowed to be annoying from time to time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A slightly odd addendum to this that I found myself remembering, when I read that Robin Williams had named his daughter after the Princess of Hyrule, in fact.

I was watching One Hour Photo when it came out back in 2002, I think. I would have been 17 at the time, and I was admittedly a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion back then, and still have the username to prove it. One-Hour-Photo featured a very incongruous reference when the boy in the family Robin Williams' character is stalking really wants an... Evangelion action figure? Besides the fact that you'd never have found one in American department store then or now, there was some humor in the reference nonetheless.

I looked it up later and found that, even way back in 2002, Williams was a huge fan of the Evangelion series. Which, again, seems pretty incongruous with the sort of image/personality he puts out. But is also something of a dead give-away for depression and mental illness, because I mean... I'm not trying to be glib or anti-anime here, but pretty much everyone I've known who was a "huge Evangelion fan" either suffers from mental illness in one form or another or would seem to probably appear to - I'm including myself in this group, as well, though I'm not much of a fan anymore.

edit: I make too many embarrassing typos

kaworu fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 18, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Evangelion is about depression, so a lot of depressive people resonate with it. It's not that weird.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Christ that man was a nerd. What other Anna Mays did he like?

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 18, 2014

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DangerDummy! posted:

I hope you informed the store clerk so that he could take the filthy, germ-encrusted magazine off the rack.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Evangelion is about depression, so a lot of depressive people resonate with it. It's not that weird.

Yeah, I trying to make that point with a somewhat more aggressive anti-anime stance in the interests of avoiding too much trolling. But I agree totally, the series is actively about coping with depression, Anno was suffering from pretty severe depression in the late '90s when he made it (just talking about the original series and End of Evangelion here, which was all that was out back then anyway). End of Eva in particular is a fairly intense head-trip after watching the series, and it just really resonates with certain people.

In any case, I found the bit from the imdb trivia page and it's actually almost more funny than I thought:

quote:

Robin Williams is a fan of the Japanese anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) and specifically asked to have a model from the series incorporated as part of the film. The model itself, contrary to Jake's explanation that it is of a "good guy", is of an unintelligent, creature-like antagonist from the adult-oriented film ending to the series, Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (1997). The boxed toy is supposedly from Williams' own personal collection.

I'd forgotten that this was why I was so shocked by the toy's inclusion - that it was one of the white "mass production Eva" models that were used in End of Eva. And the fact that Robin Williams had a person collection of Evangelion models and merchandise obscure enough to contain an item like that back in 2002 is pretty crazy. Starting to wonder if he had an account here.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
This celebrity death is probably the only one that has actually affected me emotionally. Robin Williams was a big part of my childhood, his movies always made me happy, and then I as I got older I watched his more serious films and grew into a much greater appreciation for him as an actor. The Dead Poets Society was probably one of the defining films of my teenage years and even now I still really do enjoy it.

I've been suffering through some pretty bad depression lately, lots of things in my life going to hell, the fact that he died from a suicide makes it even harder here to figure out how I'm going to get out of it. But, I'm pretty sure he'd do his best to make me smile if he knew me, try and life my spirits at least a little. I can take some comfort in that.

By the way, kaworu, did you used to post of GamingW under the same name?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

DangerDummy! posted:

There was a moment that I considered telling her to cool out a bit, what with us being out in public and all. But her fart song was important to her at the time, so I just let it go. Kids should be allowed to be annoying from time to time.

This scene sounds pretty close to a Williams movie anyway :smith: great story

I watched Toys and 1 Hour Photo like 5 each last week.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

Get your daughter an agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There really is no Robin Williams movie that is immune to whats happened. I watched Jumanji over the weekend and all the Alan Parish character wants to do is connect with his father, and then he spends 25 years alone in the loving jungle before finally everything can be set right in the end. Except this is real life and there's no magical board game to reset everything :(

• Locked thread