Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

That's loving bullshit, how about "no free agency until after the draft" for loving christ sake.

I just picked up Cordarellle Patterson in free agency, he went for $1 last year and he's going for $16 average this year. I guess I'll keep him for a free $10, but this is loving stupid.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Its Miller Time posted:

^Is that including the +$5?

I'm keeping Julius Thomas for now $7 and Matt Ryan for now $13. Being able to lock up my starting QB/TE positions pre-draft for $20 is great.

That's including the $5.

Its Miller Time posted:

What is up with this poo poo:

Wed, Aug 27
5:14 AM Transaction
Add/Drop LANN dropped Jason Snelling, Atl RB to Waivers
LANN added Doug Martin, TB RB from Free Agency to Bench LANN Roster

Mon, Aug 11
9:25 PM Transaction
Add/Drop FIRE dropped Coby Fleener, Ind TE to Waivers
FIRE added Arian Foster, Hou RB from Free Agency to Bench FIRE Roster

Mon, Aug 11
9:24 PM Transaction
Add/Drop YKND dropped Zach Ertz, Phi TE to Waivers
YKND added Rob Gronkowski, NE TE from Free Agency to Bench YKND Roster

Someone brought this up early in the thread. It's how the league is set up, and how every ESPN league I've ever played in works.

2013 season ends. Any player that was not on a roster becomes a Free Agent. When the league opens for 2014 those FA players are able to be added to a roster. So last season Gronk, Martin, and Foster all got dropped because they were injured. Some people went dumpster diving in the FA pool and decided to pick them up. The keeper cost for them is the same as any other player, last seasons draft value + $5. Foster went for $67 last season, Martin $36, and Gronk $19.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can someone tell me I'm not crazy? Am I the only one that plays in ESPN leagues? I didn't even know this was something someone would have a problem with, or I would have put it up to league vote. This is seriously how I've always done it.

If it's going to be an issue we need to address it now, before the draft. Speak up people.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

What is someone didn't go drafted last year? Crabtree is sitting in FA too FYI.

The 3 names you listed are fine I guess because no one's getting a huge deal, but I feel kind of cheap getting Patterson ~$10 under market just because I picked him up in FA.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I've always thought of it as just another part of the game. You check to see who got dropped that everyone might have forgotten about.

There are two big issues though that I can totally understand:

1. The second the league opens the players are available to be claimed. That gives the LM (me) and anyone that is sitting at their e-mail an advantage.

2. Anyone who was added to the league late as replacements (a lot of people this year) are at a disadvantage.

So I'm all for dropping those 4 players back into the pool and locking FA until after the draft. I'd like to hear some more from other people though.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I think it's fine as long as people are picking up players that don't work out to be huge steals. If the 1st overall pick was a $1 FA last year and he went to whoever acted the fastest when the year opened we would all be pissed.

edit: You could decree you can't pick up anyone in FA who is worth $X less than their average auction value. With $X being larger than $10 because I want to keep Patterson now.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with it. I could have jumped on some players, but there is an opportunity cost associated with grabbing them as well. Don't see it as a big deal.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
It seems fair-ish if the managers are consistent from season to season, but if there's any turnover then the incumbents get a huge advantage with being able to tweak their rosters and pick up cheap FAs before the new managers have signed up.

I'd prefer if rosters are frozen at the end of the season until next season's draft

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

The problem I have is when people are picking up free agents once the new season opens. Personally, I think it is bullshit to be able to circumvent the auction process. If you grabbed Gronkowski as a FA in week 17 because someone dropped him, that is one thing. Doing it a week before the draft is something different altogether.

EDIT: I am fine with either way. It just annoys me for some reason. It has not affected how I will be approaching the draft. Besides, you guys need all the help you can get against me. :smug:

Sataere fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I came in fairly late as the 11th signup, and didn't add a Doug Martin to my team (The fightin' Lannisters) until someone else brought up the free agent point, and ESPN made the system somewhat idiot proof so I could see that Doug Martin had either a 100% or near 100% ownership rate. The way I see it, there was plenty of opportunity to grab FA's off waivers, and I certainly don't buy the incumbent advantage since I joined the league so late. If I can come into it at the 11th hour and still find a guy I want in free agency, then clearly there hasn't been a trend of incumbents swooping in to nab guys, or if there is I'm not aware of it.

Also, keep in mind that people aren't getting massive deals here. Some people are shaving a bit off of expected auction price, but generally players are worth about what they should be when you keeper them. Players like Martin are only in FA because of injuries, but it's not like his value was super low last season.

With that said, not being allowed to take FA players like Martin early, and no one else being able to do so, would only help me by saving me from using up nearly 50% of my cap space before the auction even begins, so I don't object to FA pickups being forbidden. I do want it to be an across-the-board ruling though, with everyone dropping their FA's back into the wild if that's the rule.

So far it doesn't seem like there are too many strenuous objections though, and I'd prefer we be allowed to grab dudes off free agency and keeper them if we want to.

The real goldmine, I think, is in grabbing off FA and making keepers of players who had an okay season last year, but are expected to be much improved next year. I'm pretty sure there are some $1-5 guys that are now in the $15-20 range in expected auction value, so if you know what you're doing you can track them down.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 30, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I say to just leave it as is for this year, but this is something that should be discussed for next year. Do we have an IR slot? If not, it seems to me that we should designate one for this type of situation.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Alright, let's shelve this conversation for now and readdress it next offseason. We can talk about adding an IR slot too, because no we do not have one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Now I know the reason we are having this conversation. :v:

I think everyone should get two IR slots, since we have two keepers.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

And so the deed is done. I have met the killer of my draft, and he is me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

NowonSA posted:

And so the deed is done. I have met the killer of my draft, and he is me.

You made me think I missed the draft with this post. :v:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Damnit, how did I not see this thread earlier?

The other day when I was driving I literally started thinking of a bunch of GOT-related football names, too, after I heard a FF podcast I listen to mention "Demaryius Targaryen" as an option.

Some of the ones I thought of I actually saw on here, but here are some other ones I came up with that I haven't seen, just because I didn't really have anywhere else to share it, just in case anyone in this league likes one:

The Redskin Wedding (I think I'm going to actually use this name in a league or two that I own, using a picture of a wolf head on RG3's body).
Blackwater Heyward-Bey
Shane Meereen
Khalvin Johnson
YOU KNOWshonmoreNOTHING
Our Kniles are Short
Robbie Goulden Crown

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I would just go A Goulden Crown.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
:siren: Draft tonight :siren:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
:woop: :woop: Final draft of the year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Last minute emergency looks like I'll be auto drafting :(

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spoeank posted:

Last minute emergency looks like I'll be auto drafting :(

Sorry to hear that! Hope everyone is ok.

~40 minutes!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
If anyone came out of that short on WRs, it's because they were all taken by me (and the autodrafter) so hit me up if you want a Pierre Garcon or a Larry Fitzgerald or whatever else I got. Looking for upgrades at QB (shockingly, I don't have total confidence in the RG3 Reclamation Project) or TE (goddamn Antonio Gates ouys old as heck) or RB ($19 Knowshon Moreno because gently caress it why not!)

e: haha n/m about QB's I totally forgot that I took an over-the-hill Brady for $12 because I could

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 4, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wow I'm not as mad as I thought I would be about the draft. I must have warged the auto draft hard (that's a nerdy-rear end sentence).

And everything's okay thanks nerve :)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Let the kingdom burn around me, for I have Calvin Johnson and all is right with the world.

I'd be willing to ship Rodgers, Martin, Richardson or Walker potentially, though I'd want quite a bit for Rodgers or Martin. Any other players on the roster can be thrown in as required, if they make sense for a trade. I won't be making any trades until week one is over though, obviously

I wouldn't mind nabbing Pierre Garcon, but the only single player commodities I have at his level are Rodgers and Martin, and I wouldn't make that deal. If you can figure out a multi-person deal that involves Garcon let me know. As far as less valuable players go, maybe a mix of Richardson/Walker/One of my trash WR's for your Jackson/Gates/Moreno or Thomas. It couldn't hurt to spread around a bit of talent on my team, and that would let you do a little something with your tons of WRs. To my amateur eye that looks like a decent deal, with Jackson > Richardson, Walker > Moreno, and Thomas or Moreno and trash receiver X roughly equal.

Anyway, just an initial thought there. We'll see how my team of 3 stars and mostly scrubs works out in the first week or three, and how that turns out will determine whether I bug everyone with trade offers or just ride out the wave.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spoeank posted:

Wow I'm not as mad as I thought I would be about the draft. I must have warged the auto draft hard (that's a nerdy-rear end sentence).

And everything's okay thanks nerve :)

Your team is really good dude! You got lucky.

Great draft everyone, 11 people showed up and if not for an emergency we would have had 12/12. That's a pretty dope start.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Here is my minimum effort post for a GoT style draft recap. I spent way longer on this than I probably should have, but what the hell. Some of these are quite terrible, so please feel free to improve on them if you have funnier ideas. (Which shouldn't be hard)

From the seas of the Summer Isles and beyond the reach of the Wall, across the sands of Dorne and the mountains of the Eyrie, twelve realms did prepare to battle for honor. These sweet summer children did not yet realize that there was no honor to be got upon this battlefield, for the draft is dark and full of terrors. Little knowing what fate might befall them, each warrior raised his armies preparing to fight for the fate of Westeros.

Some thought Hallyne's Wildfire to be an unquenchable flame. For before the battle had even begun, he had called to arms one of the finest warriors that The Seven Kingdoms had ever seen, Ser Peyton Manning. Ser Manning was known throughout the land to be a knight of great renown, perhaps as great as Ser Ryam Redwine, Ser Criston Cole or even the Sword of the Morning himself, Ser Arthur Dayne. And like a true knight of the Kingsguard, he forsook riches and donned his white cloak to fight for Hallyne in this Game of Roto. It seemed to many that the battle was already won, for although Manning had not won any tourney's of great renown, it was well known that he was as fierce a warrior as the realm had ever known.

It is said that a Lannister always pays his debts. When the Lannister's Golden Lions took to recruiting, many thought the untold wealth beneath Casterly Rock would make the pending war a formality. Before the sun had even broken past the horizon, the Lannister's had procured the fealty of Ser Aaron Rodgers and Ser Calvin Johnson. To many of the lords, it seemed as if all hope was lost. But then the Lannister's stopped enlisted soldiers into their army, and none knew why. It did not take long for many to question why the Lannister's Golden Lions would tread so lightly when they spoke so bold. Soon, the armies of Westeros were staring befuddledly at one another Some even openly snickered at the Lannisters. When the Lannister's finally procured the fealty of Ser Trent Richardson, one brave ser asked if he were part Frey.

An Unleashing of Dragons descended from the blood of Old Valyria and understood that to win battles, you needed not knights, but mages of blackest night. Spellbinders who would hurl their dark magic at all who opposed them. So when he saw two acolytes of the Red God, he knew they would turn the tide of this battle in his favor. For Matthew Stafford and Carson Palmer are relentless in casting their black magic, and they care not who they hit with their spells, even be it their own armies.

You Know Nothing Dwayne Bowe does know one thing -- it is knights that win battles. Although he had the fealty of Ser Jamaal Charles and Ser Montee Ball, he knew that he needed another knight to lead the vanguard of his troops. He need a warrior so fierce, that the ground beneath him trembled at his awesome might. He need a soldier so fierce, he would be thought of as more beast than man. So with his last stag, You Know Nothing Dwayne Bowe commissioned the Mountain That Rides, one Ser Marshawn Lynch, to lead his troops as he had that fateful day he tore through the Saints of New Orleans.

Bronny Football did not raise his army like some of these high lords and ladies, for he was no highborn lord. Bronny Football was a sellsword who had to earn his knighthood through his quick wits and quicker sword. While others chased noble lineage and bloodlines, Bronny looked for knights such as himself. Warriors such as Ser Tony Romo and Ser Matt Ryan, who may not have won any tournaments of note, but who knew their way around a fight. Just as long as that fight wasn't in the finals of a tournament.

None appreciate the male form like Doug R.R. Martin. Doug R. R. Martin understands that the shape of a man will tell you what type of warrior he will. He can tell you at length about the scars that shape Ser Colin of House Kaepernick unseemly visage. So when the opportunity to gain the allegiance of Ser Robert of Gronkowski, he knew that a warrior with such perfect form would do well against all the might of Westeros.

Many ridiculed The House Mormont Bears when they declared they would recruit no champions. His bannermen begged their lord to reconsider, but The House Mormont Bears would not heed their words. He spoke of a dream he had, of the three-eyed raven who told of the warriors who would come to his banner, bearing his sigil on their helms. Many lords and ladies scoffed at this brash proclamation, thinking him as much a drunkard as Robert Baratheon. The peoples dismay soon turned to wonderment, for the words of the three-eyed raven are not to be dismissed so casually. First came Ser Matthew of House Forte, considered by many to be the paramount warrior in all the land. To the amazement of all, on his helmet was the very sigil the raven spoke of. Before his bannermen could overcome their awe, another knight of great renown, Ser Alshon of House Jeffrey strode into the great lords pavilion bearing a helm with the sigil of House Mormont. And thus was the prophecy fulfilled.

The Bear! The Bear and the Peyton Fair! This lord understood that speed is the most important thing for survival, so he recruited not just knights of renowned strength, but water dancers. Men who could move agilely from form to form, frustrating knights encased in armor. Water dancers such as Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant.

And who are you proud lord? That I should bid so low? The Rainey's of Castamere asked this question to the recruiters of the other armies. For the Rainey’s of Castamere were no Lannister's with their bottomless mines. They knew all too well the fate of those who bid too high a price for the warrior they wanted. They chose green and unproven squires, such as Tony Gerhart and Knowshown Moreno. While they were not seasoned like some of the other warriors, they knew that with enough battle-testing, they would be forged like an unbreakable blade of Valyrian steel.

But The Iron Rice hails from the Iron Islands, a harsh and unforgiving land, and there a true man will take what is his. The Iron Rice was not a man to be denied, and there were none who would match the steep cost this titan procured for a grizzled general as daring as a Wilding, as disciplined as an Unsullied, and as fair to look upon as a slave girl from the pleasure houses of Essos. No, when The Iron Rice proclaimed he would have McCown for one copper, all knew this was not a man to be reckoned with, for he had truly paid the iron price.

Then came We Do Not Suh, and although he had bested all who came before him in years past, he found himself unable to procure the heavy cavalry needed for an extended campaign. For the great houses knew that if they aligned themselves with him, they would be seen as lesser men. He tried in vain to secure the banners of such noble houses as the Bears of Forte or the Eagles of McCoy, but they spurned him in pursuit of greater riches. Eventually, We Do Not Suh found himself resorting to the basest of sellsword companies. Such unsavory names as Bernard Pierce and Danny Woodhead. Warriors known to all for their fickle service, men who would flee from battle when needed the most. And We Do Not Suh despaired, for how could he hope to face the challenges ahead.

One lord chose to ignore the call to arms, instead sending a simpleton by the name of Hodor to recruit his army for him. The gathered lords mocked and derided this sweet summer child, for deigning to believe he could build an army strong enough to challenge the twelve lords of Westeros. It was soon apparent that this was no dim-witted fool. None but the fiercest warrior could look upon Hodor’s vast hordes without feeling trepidation at the thought of facing them on the field. As the army departed, Hodor whispered to the other lords, “House Boldin sends his regards.”

So begins the war of the twelve lords. Many an ACL will fall, while some warriors will be cast from the battle for untold days, all for having been caught partaking of mead in a brothel. Make no mistake brave lords, this is a battle for the fate of Westeros. For in the Game of Roto, you win or you die.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Sataere that's incredible :swoon:

Now I have a mental image of Hodor at an auction and every time he bids he raises the paddle with a firm "Hodor."

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
:golfclap:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
That's sooo good. You rule.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You can tell I struggled with a couple of teams, but I did enjoy writing The Iron Rice one.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Congrats on your week one win flax, since Jordy and Eddie Lacy get the joy of the Seahawks tonight :stonk:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

You can tell I struggled with a couple of teams, but I did enjoy writing The Iron Rice one.

I knew it was coming. Didn't disappoint.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ouch, you really gave it to the Lannisters there. I mean, I deserve every bit of it, but ouch.

C'mon Sir Trent!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

NowonSA posted:

Ouch, you really gave it to the Lannisters there. I mean, I deserve every bit of it, but ouch.

C'mon Sir Trent!

I just tried being funny. I went after myself just as hard.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sataere that is a magical piece of work :3:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sataere posted:

I just tried being funny. I went after myself just as hard.

Yeah, it was well done, no hard feelings or anything.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
On the subject of Game of Thrones-themed team names, I had a team in one league that I was calling Tommen's Cats. It took me several days to change to the far superior Ser Pouncey.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

OrangeKing posted:

On the subject of Game of Thrones-themed team names, I had a team in one league that I was calling Tommen's Cats. It took me several days to change to the far superior Ser Pouncey.

This is quality stuff

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

OrangeKing posted:

Solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

How's everybody looking at halftime of the early games, or whenever it is that you're reading this? I'm pleasantly surprised with how my team's performing, certainly.

• Locked thread