Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Camoes posted:

Bees.everywhere is going crazy with the soaping.

Either I get the title or the entire league revenge soaps me into oblivion, either way we're all going to have some outstanding loving hygiene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

Either I get the title or the entire league revenge soaps me into oblivion, either way we're all going to have some outstanding loving hygiene.

Thanks for the soaping! Win bonus doubled.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Let's have a clean game. I really soap I win this one.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey guys! I'm promoting goon hero to tomanton. He's got a lot of energy and I will be supporting him in the future so that things go well.

Also I guess totally wrong on Hardflip and my inablity to beat him continues :argh:

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I feel the sudden urge to talk poo poo on something I know nothing about. Applied for 2 Goals 1 Cup FC.

EDIT: My username is Big_Moosie.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 25, 2014

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
You're in.

Sup new league admin here, I'm going to try and do the work to reverse our attrition over the seasons (thread in Let's Play next season, new starter guide, etc). I'm not going to rock the boat so don't worry about a CL format or whatever.

What I would like to ask everybody is to consider the possibility of boosting the lower leagues. We want more joiners but it seems unfair to ask for their time and effort without anything to level the playing field with teams with ~10 seasons of development. Some people love it/hate it so let's talk and I will probably bother everyone privately for votes.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
To what average does it boost the teams? I'm all for the leagues becoming as active and competitive as possible. After I win the league this season of course.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I thought the boost only worked for a team per season?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Please lower the age of all my FC Lamentare players by three Tia.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've been totally mia this season, not feeling it. I think it's just a phase though, I came into the series at the start totally blind and wonder if we're not just due for a reboot?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Boosting a team brings their strength up to the average strength of your lowest division, also it only works on older players so it doesn't accidentally give you any wonderkids.

Last league ran for 20 seasons before reboot, we're in season 11 at the moment.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

11 seasons isn't much for people who have been developing their team and are now reaching their peak. I don't think there's much that can be done to attract new players at this point, it just how the game works.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
In my very limited exposure to it, boosting doesn't solve anything. Would it really help much?

What are we trying to improve? Obviously some people are just going to lose interest over time, its only natural.

Do we have a substantial number of players join, get whipped every week and disappear? Looking around Retu at the moment, there are quite a few good sides with managers that have been around a while. Its probably unfair that newbies get put in there with a neglected squad and no clue what they are doing. Is it possible to have a 'new players' division? It'd be good if we had 3 Retu divisions, where the bottom one gets relegated into a single find-your-feet division, where new players would start against each other and 3 promotion spots available. Does X11 allow that structure? (I bet not).

I'm happy to be involved in writing a guide/extensive OP etc for a push for new players. I don't think I've seen this mentioned in The Ray Parlour, which may be an angle to explore.

ChrisXP fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 26, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think the guide we have is fantastic. How would you improve on it?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
In my opinion, the best thing to do is go to a linear divisional structure, 1,1,1,1,1 ect as opposed to 1,2,4 etc.

In the linear structure teams will find their level according to their strength, whereas now you can have teams far too strong for Retu or SB that can't get promoted because of the one team promoted thing.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bucketybuck posted:

In my opinion, the best thing to do is go to a linear divisional structure, 1,1,1,1,1 ect as opposed to 1,2,4 etc.

In the linear structure teams will find their level according to their strength, whereas now you can have teams far too strong for Retu or SB that can't get promoted because of the one team promoted thing.

But since this game revolves a lot around developing your youth, people will need at least 5 seasons to get to Serie Goon after getting a decent team together.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
EDIT: Silly poster.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 27, 2014

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Well I'm glad you spent all that time considering and discussing it and not just firing off a new league from the hip or anything.

Oh, two leagues, my mistake.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Because you know...goons.

On second thought, the other standard league was kind of lovely, especially if you are willing to boost lower division teams.

I would still like to poll interest in a youth feeder league. I think the RNG would make for some hilarious win/losses, and it would be nice to add some cheap-priced well developed youths to the market.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If the league is losing people due to burnout or disinterest I don't think adding another league will help, and putting the other league in the OP will just confuse new players and possibly keep them out of the main league which is starving for players.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I think the youth league would be more for the veteran guys--something new and unique for them to fill their extra private league slots. New players could join later on when their extra private league slots opened up.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

I don't think I'll be playing this anymore in a few months time. I have been playing since 2007, back in the very first league. Beyond trying to win another title I'm not sure there's anything there for me anymore.

The last reset really helped boost numbers again, nobody likes joining something after something's established.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I still don't quite understand their rating system. I'm usually only at one private league cap, so this league is it.

Moving to LP, if you're serious about that, might be better with a new league, though.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Since half the managers, or more, in retu are MIA why don't we put all those teams in a new lower division just for newbies to take over. For example:
serie goon
Serious biz a&b
Retu a&b
Newbie a&b

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
There must be some way to kick start some interest? Let's Play, SAS forums? It's only now hit the point in the last few seasons where people building their teams are actually getting somewhere as opposed to being Langley Spooks and getting god-tier starting midfielders.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Camoes posted:

But since this game revolves a lot around developing your youth, people will need at least 5 seasons to get to Serie Goon after getting a decent team together.

If you develop your team properly you will rise through the divisions, thats how it should be in my opinion. Not only that, but a longer road to the top should actually maintain the interest of serious players for longer, as opposed to a new player buying an old solid team, getting promoted to Serie Goon, getting whalloped because he wasn't actually good enough and then losing interest quickly.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I've never quite managed this road to the top thing. I do seem to have perfected the "road to a solid second or third placed finish every season in Serious Business" technique though.

A newbie division might work, perhaps combined with a boost so they don't all start with poo poo old players and no money.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

bucketybuck posted:

If you develop your team properly you will rise through the divisions, thats how it should be in my opinion. Not only that, but a longer road to the top should actually maintain the interest of serious players for longer, as opposed to a new player buying an old solid team, getting promoted to Serie Goon, getting whalloped because he wasn't actually good enough and then losing interest quickly.

I'm glad someone else is in on this linear idea. As it is now, if a team is really lucky, they could conceivably jump from Retu to Serie Goon in two seasons, I suppose, but it seems pretty rare that a team does well immediately upon promotion. The two teams who were promoted after last season (Unicorn Power and Juventis Urin) are presently at the bottom of their respective tables, which seems to illustrate the jump in competition between current leagues. We might have the quandary of too-many or too-large with linear divisions, though. How creative can we be with league structure? Can we have three linear divisions at the top and a pyramid bottom? I think we pretty plainly need more than three tiers anyway, should we choose to restructure or relaunch in the future.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

allsizesfitone posted:

As it is now, if a team is really lucky, they could conceivably jump from Retu to Serie Goon in two seasons, I suppose, but it seems pretty rare that a team does well immediately upon promotion. The two teams who were promoted after last season (Unicorn Power and Juventis Urin) are presently at the bottom of their respective tables, which seems to illustrate the jump in competition between current leagues.

This would be a good argument except for the fact that The Numpties won it all last season in their first season after promotion.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

A linear league is the only thing that will get me playing regularly. When we have one promotion slot out of retu, I have to play perfectly to beat a far better team and hope they gently caress up for a chance at promotion.

It's terribly dull. I don't care about playing in Serie Goon, I just want out of Retu.

Edit: The goon league is the worst of the leagues I play due to our structure.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

We had 3 down for a season (got me promoted), but that got switched back to 2 down already.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Vando posted:

This would be a good argument except for the fact that The Numpties won it all last season in their first season after promotion.

We didn't come from nowhere though, we have been in the league since season 3. A number of seasons laying the foundations and then we came up through the divisons as the team developed and matured. Things went in our favour last season and we won ahead of schedule, but we didn't buy our way there and we were always going to compete at some point.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Vando posted:

Black Lions, also promoted last season, finished 4-8-4 (5th) in Serie Goon in season 10.
Minestrone Men 3-2-11 (7th), CoffeeGuzzlers FC 8-1-7 (5th) after promotion to SB A.
FC Terror Shark 6-4-6 (5th), Grimey SC 9-4-3 (2nd) after promotion to SB B.

All of those clubs have had the same manager for ~2 years and have slowly worked their way up to a generally mid-table position a season after dominating the division one step lower. Now if you can find me a new manager who has managed some meteoric rise, I'll accept that my argument is flawed.

Rapner posted:

A linear league is the only thing that will get me playing regularly. When we have one promotion slot out of retu, I have to play perfectly to beat a far better team and hope they gently caress up for a chance at promotion.

It's terribly dull. I don't care about playing in Serie Goon, I just want out of Retu.

Edit: The goon league is the worst of the leagues I play due to our structure.

There is virtually no mobility between divisions as it stands, and every season we have fewer and fewer promotions. Yids won SB A last season, saw their promotion spot vanish, and are sitting at 4th in SB A this season because more teams in the division are competitive this time around. I'll almost feel bad if I take the (one) promotion spot away from them this time around.

allsizesfitone fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 28, 2014

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Don't. I'm totally making GBS threads the bed this season.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

allsizesfitone posted:

Black Lions, also promoted last season, finished 4-8-4 (5th) in Serie Goon in season 10.
Minestrone Men 3-2-11 (7th), CoffeeGuzzlers FC 8-1-7 (5th) after promotion to SB A.
FC Terror Shark 6-4-6 (5th), Grimey SC 9-4-3 (2nd) after promotion to SB B.

All of those clubs have had the same manager for ~2 years and have slowly worked their way up to a generally mid-table position a season after dominating the division one step lower. Now if you can find me a new manager who has managed some meteoric rise, I'll accept that my argument is flawed.

There is virtually no mobility between divisions as it stands, and every season we have fewer and fewer promotions. Yids won SB A last season, saw their promotion spot vanish, and are sitting at 4th in SB A this season because more teams in the division are competitive this time around. I'll almost feel bad if I take the (one) promotion spot away from them this time around.

That's why a linear system is good. You get to compete in an interesting pool of talent, have realistic chances at promotion against recently relegated teams, and the managerless teams naturally drop to the lowest leagues.

Right now my league has more unmanaged teams then managed teams and I've been 2nd place for every season so far.

There is a reason no professional league uses this kind of system.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
On another note, Child Soldiers are still looking for their first win in Ret C. I think, realistically, we might have a chance later in the week against the #7, Bara Latch--I hope you ready, sucka. Hopefully, we can get enough match experience and in the last half to make up for the inactivity neglect of the first. Allahu akbar.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

allsizesfitone posted:

Well no I can't, because this isn't a game where you can just pick it up and win it all. That's what I like about it, in fact. You have to build something.

I agree with the mobility between divisions though, just having one slot promoted is a giant pain in the rear end if a couple of strong teams end up peaking in a division at the same time.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'll mea culpa and admit that I messed up when I set the league this season, I for some reason thought it was going to have 2 per league when it didn't. Wasn't intentional.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

And so it ends! (mainly because Mauve and Magenta didn't want to switch clubs, the bastards).

I kept putting it off, but it's time to ditch some of my performance-enhanced pensioners and go into full development mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Destrado posted:

And so it ends! (mainly because Mauve and Magenta didn't want to switch clubs, the bastards).

I kept putting it off, but it's time to ditch some of my performance-enhanced pensioners and go into full development mode.

Shameful.

• Locked thread