Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Actually, you're right. I just kind of saw the transfer window ended in three days and rushed in.

I was kind of regretting it because I had youth in every position and because it was Taupe goddammit. Turns out you can remove transfers that haven't been bid on and I'm going to keep riding my past-prime ubermenschen down into lower and lower leagues. I am a total wuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Coward

Sell him, then spend all the money on soaping everyone

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Mobile app is available in the US App Store.

Jive Turkey
Oct 28, 2005
Mean Mamma Jamma

Destrado posted:

And so it ends!

Good riddance to that fucker. He made my life miserable when I was in the top flight.

Edit: oh now you're keeping him. Hmmmm how much econ do I have left for some soap attempts....

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
It was really hard to keep up with this whilst traveling a month in Asia and I missed setting tactics and training my players a lot.

Hopefully my team can pick up from this and won't embarrass themselves anymore...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh man, Jive FC that was a close one.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You finally got me Shep! Congrats!

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

Rapner posted:

You finally got me Shep! Congrats!

Haha I know, and Mehle didn't score! I guess not marking any of your players pays off..!

I love how much the latest games opened up the league, it's going to be a real fun end to the season.. Although I don't want to win!

FUCK YOU CAT!
Mar 23, 2009

FUCKIN' AIR DUSTER
big DUST WITH text
big AIR CATtext
Why does my team always lose the first 2-3 games a season, then go on an unbeaten run, seeing us second and only a point off the top spot? Maybe it's because I can't direct transfer players between my two teams even though neither have (nor ever had) VIP status!

I don'thave 2 (3)? teams either this time.....

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Oh wow, SBA is the place to go for drama.

The last round of fixtures plays out like this:

The loser of Space Alert vs Vermicious Yids gets relegated. The draw keeps VY up.

The winner of Brighton Youth Firm vs CSKA Christmas wins the league. If that match is a draw then Calvinball Utd beating Unicorn Power makes them champions. If they fail to win that encounter, then the title will go to the victor in the Grimey SC vs Mornington Crescent clash. Should that be a draw, then Brighton will sit on top through goal difference. Only one side has nothing to play for....

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ChrisXP posted:

The loser of Space Alert vs Vermicious Yids gets relegated. The draw keeps VY up.

The winner of Brighton Youth Firm vs CSKA Christmas wins the league. If that match is a draw then Calvinball Utd beating Unicorn Power makes them champions. If they fail to win that encounter, then the title will go to the victor in the Grimey SC vs Mornington Crescent clash. Should that be a draw, then Brighton will sit on top through goal difference. Only one side has nothing to play for....

I really should've put a bigger win bonus on that last game, didn't realize that it was so close to the end of the season and my team was so sorely out of form.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Yeah, this loving game. I swear this season has been absurd. Undefeated last season, didn't get promoted, and this season is a pile of poo poo.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
In a less exciting finale my Black Lions have secured their first championship! It's been a long time building this team through around 5 seasons of losing pretty badly but WOO!

The final game in Serie Goon sees Hardflip battling to avoid relegation and is entirely dependant on either Dragon Kickers or Sardine FC losing. One of those mighty teams will be going down with Juventus Urin (who will likely be straight back up because that team has balanced powerhouse potential written all over it.)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Subliminal Ninja posted:

In a less exciting finale my Black Lions have secured their first championship! It's been a long time building this team through around 5 seasons of losing pretty badly but WOO!

The final game in Serie Goon sees Hardflip battling to avoid relegation and is entirely dependant on either Dragon Kickers or Sardine FC losing. One of those mighty teams will be going down with Juventus Urin (who will likely be straight back up because that team has balanced powerhouse potential written all over it.)

Congratz! At least the fight to avoid relegation will be interesting. I think I'm most likely to go down, but it's pretty uncertain.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Personal stuff came up right as I took over the league so I was really only clicking the yes button and my team's form mostly went to poo poo, we'll see what kind of disaster the CR is.

Discussion seemed to err on the side of comfort for the existing members, no using boost to entice new recruits, I hear you. More divisional mobility is happening whether people like it or not.

The end of the season is coming up and roughly coincides with the crunch of the holidays. Mercifully we only have 1 inactive team at the moment, so starting up will be easy enough, do people want to keep the ball rolling in spite of this or would managers rather take 1-2 weeks off to relax/recruit/collect sponsorbux?

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
I think a small gap would be best. Anyone seriously playing will stick around and it does give us the time to sort divisions and hopefully get some new teams and members.

I'm all for more mobility and I think 3 up, 3 down would work well with the current situation in the middle divisions. I also think we're in a position where a strictly vertical structure would facilitate this movement and competitiveness better. This will also allow all the inactives (if there are any) to filter to the bottom as opposed to being split over four different divisions as is the current Retu state.

If we do get new teams in, a vertical structure would allow them to compete for a lower division and still get prize money without having to resort to boosts.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Something needs to be done to increase mobility, especially in Retu. KCER doesn't deserve to be trapped there another season just because I got the only promotion slot. A break is fine.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

oh man away for 2 days and i get relegated, bugger

should've really set my tactics last week

RIP

shep
Aug 31, 2003

space pope posted:

Something needs to be done to increase mobility, especially in Retu. KCER doesn't deserve to be trapped there another season just because I got the only promotion slot. A break is fine.

Ah it does suck a little bit that I've spent the last 3 seasons playing mostly inactive teams and missing out on promotion by a couple of points, Norfolk in Chance is in the same boat. I like the idea of a totally linear league, perhaps with more teams in each division, which would hopefully open up a couple more slots for promotion and allow the vacant teams to filter to the bottom (where new teams can come in and learn to play without the steep learning curve).

Also RIP Hardflip.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Relegation can certainly make you feel better about your abilities though; I went 14-0-0 this season!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Another season at the top (league)! On the other hand, my DV is poo poo.

I think it would be interesting to try a linear league, it might be a good format after the first few seasons where the new players might be able to compete with people on their levels. On the other hand, it will screw up the promotions again, probably.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone besides for me been trapped in Serious Business since the first season? I've gotten 2nd a few times and a spot out of relegation a few times, but I seem to be trapped here forever.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Camoes posted:

Another season at the top (league)! On the other hand, my DV is poo poo.

I think it would be interesting to try a linear league, it might be a good format after the first few seasons where the new players might be able to compete with people on their levels. On the other hand, it will screw up the promotions again, probably.

I bought four kids and sold my best striker; my DV is awful because this proved to be a terrible idea.

I'm still strongly in favor of a linear structure. Some teams might end up a rung or two away from where they ought to be, but a season or two will sort that out courtesy of the huge increase in mobility. I haven't looked at the number of (active) teams in a while, but something like 6 divisions of 9 teams, 3-up / 3-down, makes for eight-week seasons and the ability to go from the bottom rung to the top flight inside of a year.

FUCK YOU CAT!
Mar 23, 2009

FUCKIN' AIR DUSTER
big DUST WITH text
big AIR CATtext

ChrisXP posted:

SEA SEA SEA SIDERS, gently caress off CSKA Christmas, It's almost poetic that you should get done by a team with no strikers and their best player suspended, at CHRISTMAS!!!! HO HO HO (your mum)

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
10 up on the change report. One of my trio of baby midfielders failed to grow, so he got the axe along with an ancient (and retiring) defender. Looking fit and trim for next season, though it's probably time to start grooming a new keeper.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Hmm. I have a +10 change report but only seven out of sixteen players have actually improved by a skill bar. This worries me.

I have finally worked out how to get a striker to 15 DV. You have to play him, and only him, all season, without ever substituting him, which makes growing baby strikers basically impossible. On the plus side he did also get top scorer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I got my striker kid to 18dv and didn't play him 100% of the time. It probably matters how well they do.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Most of DV usually comes from average form. If you keep their form as high as possible you can get a youth striker a ton of DV with barely any games played. This is why the hard trainer SQ is by far the best one in my book.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I've never yet managed to get a striker above 14DV, no matter what I tried. I always keep their form above 15 if I possibly can. Who knows what magic the RNG craps out...

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Button's pushed.

The new season will begin with the new year (try not to be too hungover to forget to set tactics). Movement is cranked up to max for this season and it'll be 2 up/4 down, which I suspect might be a bit much but we won't know until we see what kind of records the 5th/6th place teams are getting sent down with. With a perfect 8/88/8888 structure everyone will play 14 games each; the last of which will be played on February 16th and the CR hitting the day after.

Good luck everyone!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

It's a bit aggressive for half the teams to be relegated from Serie Goon, but we'll see how it goes.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
What happened to the linear division style that seemed to be the most popular choice on here?

In my opinion, the current league structure does not reward team building. You are just going to lose the guys who would stick with a team for multiple seasons.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
At least this season will allow big movement up top before (and if) any major changes take place. I'm still in favour of next season being an 8-team linear 3-up, 3-down set up. It will also allow a greater feeling of progression when building or rebuilding and also make a total rebuild strategy dangerous for those at the top. As it is now, you can do top to bottom or vice versa within two seasons and any teams being promoted from Retu for the first time may be discouraged by the potential arse hammerings awaiting them from more skilled "stuck in SB limbo" teams.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007

bucketybuck posted:

What happened to the linear division style that seemed to be the most popular choice on here?

This. I have seen, I believe, zero people show any support whatsoever for this weird pyramid structure we've been using, and for good reason. Perhaps the rest of the managers are on IRC and voting on pyramids? I don't know, because it's not 1997, and I don't use IRC. It will have to work better than the 1-up / 2-down / if-we're-lucky-and-don't-lose-promotion-spots at least.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I'm all for the linear structure, but I don't think making the decision during the break is the right way to do it.

If we do it for next season we should decide now so everyone will know where they're going to land after this season with no surprises. I was about to blow my entire bankroll on some players to compete in SG before last season only to find that we changed the structure at the last minute.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

I'm handing in my notice that this will be my last season of X11. Can't believe I've been playing 8 years with some of you guys.

I'll get Olympique promoted again and then someone can take over if they want to. The team has a good few youths in the pipeline and should keep going, though I'd recommend selling anyone over 30.

shep
Aug 31, 2003

Hardflip posted:

I'm handing in my notice that this will be my last season of X11.

rip

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
So above a certain age a player can refuse to be transfer listed. This is news to me. And annoying from the point of view of needing the money and the space in my defence more than I need the player, awesome though he has been for the team.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Is that the 'Player wishes to end career at current club' status?
I'm presuming it means they will definitely retire next season....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
That's the one, although I don't think it has any bearing on retirement. Googling told me that if the player is 29 or older they might just say they want to end their career at the club, but there was no mention of imminent retirement. The guy is still one of my best players, it'd be odd if he turned 30 and decided to pack it in.

• Locked thread