Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Hi, and welcome to HBD! I'm making this thread because nasboat literally can't beat me in the playoffs and won't do it anymore. I've lifted most of this stuff verbatim from the last OP only I erased all the silly wrestling nonsense.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

The King is dead! Long live the King? Third time is the charm as AV's Cleveland Attack on Memory take down jeff's Santa Fe Leo Egans in five games after failing to do so in seasons 26 and 27.

Elsewhere...

There were only two 100 game winners in the entire major leagues. Nasboat's Trenton Tarantinos pulled out 119 wins and cruised to a third straight #1 seed in the AL. The other 100 win team was... Art?!? That's right the Vandelay won 102 games! These two teams won a combined two games in the playoffs because SNOWBIRDS. And then jeff won the AL because that's what he does and Curtis Moreno is the best.

On the other side of the bracket new ownership wasn't enough to keep the former Hartford team out of the playoffs. Monicro's Dover Phantoms won 97 games; good for the third best record in the NL but only a #5 seed because of sharing a division with AV's 99 win team. IOWA pissed away a pretty sizable lead down the stretch to Kansas City, and the NL West is still a monster division, but Deivi couldn't make it back to another world series this time.

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Trenton
AL East: Tampa Bay
AL South: Santa Fe
AL West: Portland

NL North: Kansas City
NL East: Cleveland
NL South: New Orleans
NL West: Anaheim

WILD CARDS

AL: New York, Montgomery
NL: Dover, Colorado

Seven of eight division winners remained the same, and eleven of twelve playoff contenders were unchanged. Will a new challenger appear?!?

AWARDS

AL MVP: Erick Duran (Trenton)
NL MVP: Julio Blanco (Anaheim)
AL Cy Young: Bud McDonald (Santa Fe/Charlotte), Joe Brantley (Tampa Bay) what the gently caress were you people voting on?
NL Cy Young: Deivi Elcano (Anaheim)
AL ROTY: Virgil Martin (Toronto) again, what?
NL ROTY: Enny Alcantara (Buffalo)

OUR PITCH TO YOU, THE PROSPECTIVE NEW GOON OWNER

Hardball Dynasty is a game on the sports simulation site WhatIfSports.com. HBD puts you in control of a fake baseball franchise with fake players. You make the decisions. Draft young talent, trade with competing franchises, sign free agents to help you make the postseason, and inevitably lose to jeff in the playoffs. We're looking for dedicated owners to make sure every franchise is run competently, effectively, and, perhaps most importantly, actively. And that's where you come in.

Currently, DiMaggio is a majority-goon world. Most of the remaining pubbies are pretty reasonable, but if you're new to HBD it's always a good idea to run any potential trades by veteran goons. Ask any questions you like in the thread here, we're always happy to give advice to a new owner.

I don't have any idea if we have any openings! We might! Some people said they might not come back! Please contact our esteemed commissioner ThatsMyBoye (@paul_boye) or post in this thread if you'd like to play! We'd love to have you! But especially if you're not going to quit a week into the game!

WAITING LIST

1. Tavarin
2. some dodgers guy on twitter

NEW OWNERS GUIDE

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

As I said before, our commissioner is the esteemed ThatsMyBoye. You will need to be in contact with him to get the password to the world to be able to join.

:siren: AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY :siren:

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
pre:
Forums name      / WIS name     / Franchise                      / Twitter

nasboat          / nasboat      / Trenton Tarantinos             / @nasboat
Art Vandelay     / thaneoffife  / New York Vandelay              / @ThaneOfFife
gardenald        / gardenald    / Chicago Barons                 / @gardenald

Devo             / devomac      / Tampa Bay Snowbirds            / @Devo1999
Cory Lidle       / dockellis70  / Boston Sophists                / @DJWeedPizza
Evilbeard        / evilbeard    / Durham Wolves                  / @evilbeard
?????            / kingfatdik   / Toledo Trash Men               / @duyarvish

jeffersonlives   / tjefferson   / Santa Fe Leo Egans             / @ihateprospects
Ivan Drago       / rmdriskill   / Montgomery Burns               / @rmdriskill
Scrotos          / Fervus       / Charlotte Goyim                / @scrotos
uublog           / uublog       / Richmond Flying Squirrels      / @uublog

CaptMurphy       / captmurphy   / Portland Beavers               / @haassauce
stimpy           / stimpy_5     / Helena Thirty Helens           / @sas_stimpy
dryb             / dryb         / Tacoma Mount Rainiers          / 
The broken bones / kingofspain  / Los Angeles Los Angeles        / @TheAmitie

Goetta           / goetta       / Kansas City Bucks              / @SteveMcBarks
Nerokerubina     / koyunlu      / Iowa City Subsidies            / @QaraKoyunlu
Operaterp        / operaterp    / Philadelphia Phatties          / 
ernestborg9      / ernestborg9  / Ottawa BEEMOs                  / @ernest_borg9

AlleyViper       / alleyviper   / Cleveland Attack on Memory     / @deanleyland
chutwig          / chutwig      / Buffalo Garden Paths           / @erhudy
tatankatonk      / tatankatonk  / New York Metropolitans         / @tatankatonk
?????            / pdalauro     / Baltimore Red Tops             / @TweetTheTreat

AtheistDeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits            / @DoubleScorpion
?????            / hpjoker      / St Louis Best Fans in Baseball / @hpjoker

ThatsMyBoye      / mrincubus    / Anaheim Los Angeleses          / @paul_boye
gyroball         / gyroball     / Colorado Burrellballers        / @RedbirdMenace
Power of Pecota  / pecotaredux  / Salem Saberhagens              / @GeorgeMatanzas
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (IF YOU'VE GOT ARCHIVES)

Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27
Season 28

Devo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
39-123
40-122
54-108
61-101

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

OP needs more wrestling stuff, 2/10

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

If you beat me four times in the playoffs you win OP and power ranking privileges *quietly celebrates*

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

:pray::pray:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i hope he returns home to vancouver where he belongs

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Enny is not from IOWA :mad:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

chutwig posted:

Enny is not from IOWA :mad:

Of course he's not. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
We need something in the new owner's guide about setting budgets

Otherwise, good OP would read again

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
We will be losing monicro and goetta, just off the top of my head.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Anybody know if there's still a way to get back into Correspondence, Trade Chat, etc.?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

uublog posted:

Anybody know if there's still a way to get back into Correspondence, Trade Chat, etc.?

there isn't

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I decided to re up because I am a waffling idiot

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Goetta posted:

also it's good that you're coming back to keep your team together because last time things just didn't materialize the way everyone thought they would for your old franchise :(

RIP George Stearns, Frankie Redmond, uhh that Joey guy (or was it Joey Redmond and that Frankie guy, gently caress I don't even remember), was one of the Espinosa pitchers on that team too?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah Benito Espinoza was like a top 5 draft pick iirc. I actually signed old rear end Joey Slocumb for nostalgia last year.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

nasboat posted:

there isn't

poo poo pffffffft

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Goetta posted:

Oh excellent, welcome back

I also have two off-site friends interested in spots.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Oh excellent, welcome back

I also have two off-site friends interested in spots.

Remind them that the condition for their admittance is trading me all of their good players

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'll be back in tomorrow.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Two other worlds are eligible for roll starting today, Banks and Upper Deck. So I don't suppose we'll go early.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We are rolling ladies and gents

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Two of the 5 openings are claimed by non-SA members

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Two of the 5 openings are claimed by non-SA members

Are they all for sure open?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

e: nevermind

nasboat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 15, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Sandy wants to re sign!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Sandy wants to re sign!

Pre-budgets and scheduling! That totally means he's gonna re-sign!

(...)

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

How do you change your franchise name?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

The five teams currently up for grabs:
Arizona
Baltimore
Dover
Jacksonville
Washington

Do we know if any of those five owners are returning?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Dover (monicro) is definitely open. I also believe Baltimore (quasimango) is open. I've not heard from Jacksonville (insertname).

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'll put a breakdown of the open teams in the OP when I get home from work. So if two spots are spoken for I guess we need a maximum of three? That's the most we've lost in a while.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

For the first time ever all my important MLB coaches want to re-sign, this is amazing.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Tony Stark retired, mother fucker.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Agggh Paul Zheng retired. I've had him since season 19 :smith:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Godspeed Mateo Cordero. At least your retired with the team that drafted you :sadwave:

Edit: I was hoping he would become a coach, but alas, it wasn't in the cards for him. I recognize some other familiar faces for pitching coaches, though.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 15, 2014

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gyroball posted:

For the first time ever all my important MLB coaches want to re-sign, this is amazing.

Yeah my 94 HC/PC and 91 FI all wanna re-sign, kind of nice for a change

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scrotos posted:

Tony Stark retired, mother fucker.

Devo posted:

Agggh Paul Zheng retired. I've had him since season 19 :smith:

Tyreace Swann has been my FC since S19 too and he retired :/

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I hate that I was out of town and unable to properly enjoy the WS but auuuuggghhhh it happennnnnned

This one's for art:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I hate that I was out of town and unable to properly enjoy the WS but auuuuggghhhh it happennnnnned

This one's for art:

I think I'm going to be sick

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Orlando Vizcaino, Rickey Daly, and Geronimo Sanchez all retired without going into coaching what the gently caress is that bullshit

Zach Holmes also retired, I gave him one ML AB back in S23

Tex Watson wants $8.3M in arb2, boy howdy is he ever gonna cost me long-term. so long player payrolls that aren't absurdly extravagant! *waveys*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Ramiro Quentin and Sean Creek are both testing free agency hahahaha gently caress me.

• Locked thread