Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Devo posted:

I like how if you don't wait four hours after signing an extension to trade a guy it gets nullified

Weirdly, I did this with the Calderone trade and it didn't get nullified.

I have no idea why it worked this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

gyroball posted:

I just lost two trades which would annoy me if I was doing any kind of major moves in free agency. In both cases the extension was signed before the trade was proposed, but oh well.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I love trading even when it is not a good idea to trade. Trades.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

gyroball posted:

I think arb players act differently. I had an old Greenwell trade where the guy dragged his feet so long on accepting it that I had to give the player he was acquiring from me an arb3 extension after the trade was accepted. It still went through. :iiam:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Augh someone trade with me I just sent tc's to Toronto and Jackson someone help and save me from myself

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I expected a lot more competition on Elston Barker than "none"

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

I expected a lot more competition on Elston Barker than "none"

God drat, why does everyone always make this mistake it seems like every season. Everyone assumes someone gets a huge deal and no bids.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I would have put in a bid this morning if I didn't oversleep, because I was testing the waters on Elvis Leonard first.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Well I was dumping all my money into the Sandy Nitowski lottery, to no avail

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gerardo Sanchez decided to decline his mutual option and getting a shortstop better than Blaine Anderson for this season was more important than getting another 1B/COF when I've got 3 great ones locked up longterm.

I'm kinda curious who else was in on him - I was really hoping not to add a fourth year, but I didn't really have any other viable options in the SS game.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Somebody trade me a CF that can hit a baseball better than homer douglas.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
You know when you're looking over your team and looking at the free agents you're bidding on and feel pretty good about it and then you suddenly realize you don't have a shortstop?

Yeah.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Reminder guys, hire your ML coaches first because once all those jobs are full, the coaches left will drop down a level. It helps everyone.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
ugh Elvis Leonard signed one cycle too soon, poo poo

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure I'm going to want Elvis Leonard in three year's time, let alone five.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I'm not sure I'm going to want Elvis Leonard in three year's time, let alone five.

The future is in the future!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

My options at 2B are basically Kurt Cardona and other dudes who can't hit

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So my bid for Sandy was 11mil, which quickly was outbid so i withdrew the bid. Now i see he signs for 9. What in the sweet merciful gently caress?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

So my bid for Sandy was 11mil, which quickly was outbid so i withdrew the bid. Now i see he signs for 9. What in the sweet merciful gently caress?

How many times do we tell you, never ever pull an offer. Just let it sit.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

EvilBeard posted:

Reminder guys, hire your ML coaches first because once all those jobs are full, the coaches left will drop down a level. It helps everyone.

HEY NEW PEOPLE

This is very important! You have three hours to try to get a leading bid on a major league BC, PC, or HC at this point! You should have multiple bids out if you are not leading! Sometimes the same owner is leading you on two different coaches and you get to sign a guy because you were second best.

The faster all the ML coaches sign the faster we can populate our AAA teams with coaches worth a gently caress

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

So my bid for Sandy was 11mil

How many years, though.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

How many years, though.

4, same as kingfatdik.

I doubt i can get him to trade him to me, but I'm certainly going to try.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Gerardo Sanchez decided to decline his mutual option and getting a shortstop better than Blaine Anderson for this season was more important than getting another 1B/COF when I've got 3 great ones locked up longterm.

I'm kinda curious who else was in on him - I was really hoping not to add a fourth year, but I didn't really have any other viable options in the SS game.

it was me and you paid way too much money booooo

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

4, same as kingfatdik.

I doubt i can get him to trade him to me, but I'm certainly going to try.

Why did you not bid on the other COF who was better?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I bid for Sandy with 10M bonus and 4 years at 20M per and was leading up until this cycle. What the gently caress happened?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I'm actually seriously pissed off about this, not so much that I lost out on a particular player but that yet another thing completely out of line with logical expectations happened. What's the point of wasting time on a game like this that seems to act in completely bizarre and illogical ways? It's not possible to plan out anything when random poo poo like this happens.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

chutwig posted:

I'm actually seriously pissed off about this, not so much that I lost out on a particular player but that yet another thing completely out of line with logical expectations happened. What's the point of wasting time on a game like this that seems to act in completely bizarre and illogical ways? It's not possible to plan out anything when random poo poo like this happens.

I have never heard of something like this happening, wow.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Send in a ticket to have it investigated or explained. I've never heard of that happening before which has to mean there was something else involved here.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

I bid for Sandy with 10M bonus and 4 years at 20M per and was leading up until this cycle. What the gently caress happened?

If you were actually offering 20m per year, that would have been violating your S31 payroll according to your trade screen. Although it shouldn't have even let you make the offer in that case.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

AlleyViper posted:

If you were actually offering 20m per year, that would have been violating your S31 payroll according to your trade screen. Although it shouldn't have even let you make the offer in that case.

This was my initial thought

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In unrelated news, who's ready for all the strikeouts?

e: also dang, that's some awesome P1/P2 action in my bullpen

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I know there's a contender out there who could use DeRojas.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

So it'll let me appear to be top bidder on a player even if it silently violates payroll due to other signings? The game had no problem with it when I made the bid and at the end of PM 2 I was in the lead.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

So it'll let me appear to be top bidder on a player even if it silently violates payroll due to other signings?

I have no idea. I *think* it should kick back the offer if it violates any season's payroll but clearly it didn't in this case. I have to wonder if something else happened to set it off.

e: I'm guessing there was some issue with the Osterbrock contract and Sandy's not agreeing. Can anyone make some offers that will violate a future season payroll and see if they can be made without the game kicking them back?

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 24, 2014

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I want to say I've had situations where it let me offer more than what I had available because I had multiple offers with cash bonuses up front, so maybe it has something to do with that. The regular salaries wouldn't put it over but the cash bonus would.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

I have no idea. I *think* it should kick back the offer if it violates any season's payroll but clearly it didn't in this case. I have to wonder if something else happened to set it off.

e: I'm guessing there was some issue with the Osterbrock contract and Sandy's not agreeing. Can anyone make some offers that will violate a future season payroll and see if they can be made without the game kicking them back?

quote:

Error: This contract would violate at least one season's player payroll (Season 29). You may offer up to 100% of this seasons payroll. However you may not offer all of the future season's payroll. This is done to prevent decimating a franchise with bad signings.

Also considering I had a 5-year offer out to Sandy before I guess chutwig topped me, I also regret pulling back, especially since it wasn't even the most I could include without violating any payrolls and might've been able to top chutwig

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That's informing you of season 29, though. We'd need to see a future season error message.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

That's informing you of season 29, though. We'd need to see a future season error message.

Oops, my bad. Well same thing

quote:

Error: This contract would violate at least one season's player payroll (Season 30). You may offer up to 100% of this seasons payroll. However you may not offer all of the future season's payroll. This is done to prevent decimating a franchise with bad signings.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

mildly assuaged by getting Hector Colome on the default bid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I mean, I'd much rather have him on that deal than Sandy on 100/4 but...yeah. I'd love to have an explanation for what happened.

• Locked thread