Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

xxEightxx posted:

Great OP, only thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that it is F2P and not a subscription model game. Don't know if that is really that important.

It's not F2P either. You have to buy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah it's not free to play any more than Call of Duty, Halo, Borderlands or Diablo are.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's Pay 2 Own Play 4 Free 4 Ever Until DLC Sinks You Into Matchmaking Irrelevance. P2O4F4EUDLCSYIMI.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Mango Polo posted:

It's Pay 2 Own Play 4 Free 4 Ever Until DLC Sinks You Into Matchmaking Irrelevance. P2O4F4EUDLCSYIMI.

Sorry poor choice of words, just meant there was no subscription fee after purchase, so expect to spend earth bucks on DLC (and probably cosmetic stuffs etc.) in the future.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

Sorry poor choice of words, just meant there was no subscription fee after purchase, so expect to spend earth bucks on DLC (and probably cosmetic stuffs etc.) in the future.

Just teasing you a bit, sorry. I work in casual/social games, so I love me some silly acronyms.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrLonghair posted:

The Destiny beta was when my DS4 rubber started giving up, November launch until late July. I gotta get these KF tops unless Sony's Scandinavian dept get me a new pad quickly.

1) USB sound cards allow usage of far better mics, for those already owning good stuff
2) EXO players sound robotic in voice-comms which is awesome

Really? Voice effects? Are there video examples of this?

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Goddamnit you thought of everything.

Oh and remember kids, the XIM4 will not cure your competetive online insecurity! To play with the best you will need to headshot people in midair with one hand while chugging a can of mayo with the other whilst pooping in a sock.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 12, 2014

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Is is possible to use Kontrolfreeks and a XIM at the same time? I really need to pwn noobs as much as possible.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Someone on IRC came up with the idea to put Kontrolfreeks on the keyboard buttons for maximum performance.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Triggsz posted:

Someone on IRC came up with the idea to put Kontrolfreeks on the keyboard buttons for maximum performance.

I'm fairly sure you could sell this as a custom mechanical keyboard option with the right marketing

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Triggsz posted:

That was me, and as I have a Patent Pending™ on that elite mod, you will all owe me a nickel every kill you get while using my Super Performance Enhancing Technique™. I may allow you to buy a lifetime licence for one up front fee, but my people are working on the pricing model.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
On Quake 3 for the Dreamcast I used to run analog stick on the controller in left hand for movement and jumping, and mouse in right hand for aiming. WASD only has eight directions and two different speeds for movement (run/walk), but analog has more control. Scrubs.

I vaguely remember guys using flight sticks for movement on Quake 1 deathmatches with mouse for aiming too.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Wow, I didn't know that any missed loot drops will automatically be sent to your mailbox if you didn't pick it up. I would always run around like an idiot in the arenas picking up everything I saw in case I missed something. I'm assuming this mailbox delivery thing only applies to items like weapons and armor, and doesn't apply to ammo drops?

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Sigma posted:

Really? Voice effects? Are there video examples of this?

Maybe someone else has it recorded but it's a pretty cool effect that most people wouldn't even notice since party chat is so easy. When you use the game chat it applies a filter to your voice that other players hear. Things like going into a cave would make it echo, and as you got farther away from each other it would add a little distortion. I don't remember Exos sounding any different but who knows what will be added for release.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On Quake 3 for the Dreamcast I used to run analog stick on the controller in left hand for movement and jumping, and mouse in right hand for aiming. WASD only has eight directions and two different speeds for movement (run/walk), but analog has more control. Scrubs.

I vaguely remember guys using flight sticks for movement on Quake 1 deathmatches with mouse for aiming too.

This is actually what made me ditch using mice right handed forever years ago. I'm a lefty anyway, but combining a flight stick with mouse aiming when I first played SHOGO was the poo poo back in the day, and I never went back. Once analog sticks became a thing on controllers I often did the right hand on the stick to move and left hand on the mouse to shoot thing if the game allowed it. Even using the keyboard, I prefer the square configuration of the number pad over the staggered WASD placement and only ever run into issues with games that don't have options to reconfigure controls, or require insane numbers if keys (especially function keys)

If I can combine a mouse left and the stick right using a xim, I would be strongly inclined to do it.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
We're getting The Dark Below expansion in December, woop.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Destiny -> Warlords of Draenor -> CoDAWWWWWWWWW -> Destiny DLC

Activision is pretty happy right about now I think

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mango Polo posted:

Nice, that's really good timing. I guess vanilla Destiny will have just Glass of Vault as its sole raid then.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Video went up on the Destiny YouTube channel. Is this new? I'm at work.

/20opyh1pLYg

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 12, 2014

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
How were the load times during the beta? I am considering swapping out the HDD that comes with the destiny bundle PS4 and upgrading it to a SSD.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Meat Dimension posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?20opyh1pLYg

I'm getting a "Video does not exist" error.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

neonbregna posted:

How were the load times during the beta? I am considering swapping out the HDD that comes with the destiny bundle PS4 and upgrading it to a SSD.

A single given load time wasn't bad but there was a frustrating amount of them given any type of zone/mission change requires going to Orbit (load screen) and selecting the new space (load screen) or if you want to stop off in the Tower, it's Load to Orbit > Load to Tower > Do Tower poo poo > Load to Orbit > Load to Mission.

Upgrading your HDD isn't expected to make any of that go faster, though, since a large part of it is server connecting, I believe.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

neonbregna posted:

They are quite long; there is no other way to put it. That said, on the disk upgrade front, you should check out the main PS4 thread. I don't have the page number to hand, so you'll need to hit the search, but I'm quite sure there was recently a series of nice effort-posts from people on the whole disk upgrade thing. It may help, but might not be a transformative experience.

Edit: Just checking on one of my beta clips, from the moment I returned to orbit from the Moon, it was nearly 1m10s before I spawned into the Tower. Longer than I would have estimated, to be honest!

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 12, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Levantine posted:

I'm getting a "Video does not exist" error.

:downs: BBCode is hard.

w/e YouTube. Looks like the homing rocket is back.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

magimix posted:

They are quite long; there is no other way to put it. That said, on the disk upgrade front, you should check out the main PS4 thread. I don't have the page number to hand, so you'll need to hit the search, but I'm quite sure there was recently a series of nice effort-posts from people on the whole disk upgrade thing. It may help, but might not be a transformative experience.

Not to mention if you're in a Fireteam, you're locked to the slowest loading member so even if your drive is blazing fast, you still don't get to shoot anything til everyone can.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm almost positive it won't help unless everyone in your fireteam is running equivalent speed ssds or you're soloing

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DangerKat posted:

A single given load time wasn't bad but there was a frustrating amount of them given any type of zone/mission change requires going to Orbit (load screen) and selecting the new space (load screen) or if you want to stop off in the Tower, it's Load to Orbit > Load to Tower > Do Tower poo poo > Load to Orbit > Load to Mission.

Upgrading your HDD isn't expected to make any of that go faster, though, since a large part of it is server connecting, I believe.

Meh. They were a little long, but "load for 45 seconds, play an activity for 25 mins to 4 hours, load for 45 seconds" was something I can live with.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lumpy posted:

Meh. They were a little long, but "load for 45 seconds, play an activity for 25 mins to 4 hours, load for 45 seconds" was something I can live with.

Plus you get to see your spaceship. Spaceships are cool! :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If they'd let you transition from tower to warp or planet to tower it'd be a lot less annoying

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love the spaceship loading screens. Especially when you warp from locations, it's like a surprise where you'll end up.

I hope they don't add "warping to Mars" or anything...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, they basically took the fact that there are gonna be loading screens, and spruced it up by making them customizable, so everybody gets to see the sweet spaceship you're rolling around in while you're waiting for the game to load up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Awesome new thread! Thanks! Come on 9/9!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I love the spaceship loading screens. Especially when you warp from locations, it's like a surprise where you'll end up.

I was always disappointed when it switched to the "ship flying over clouds" load screen because it meant I was about to play the same map a second time.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
You're also able to access your inventory and browse other menus in loading screens.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

gently caress dance parties.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

a cop posted:

We don't have a 'gently caress dance' emote yet, that comes as DLC later I think.

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

We don't have a 'gently caress dance' emote yet, that comes as DLC later I think.

I almost made the same joke, glad I held off, your username/post combo is superior.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You should be able to maneuver your ship around on that load screen. It would be great if I could do some barrel rolls and bump into the other ships.

a cop posted:

Hello mr fun police.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Barrel rolls with the mega fridge would be nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

The Meat Dimension posted:

/20opyh1pLYg

Thanks, here it is for people who couldn't be bothered going to find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20opyh1pLYg

Shows off competitive multiplayer. It also has another angle on the titan superman super!

• Locked thread