Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There's a badge called Space Magic! That's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CottonWolf posted:

There's a badge called Space Magic! That's great.

Yep, it's the "kill 3 dudes with your super" badge for Warlock.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
It's worth noting that the wireless gold headsets will get the official destiny settings, I'm enjoying The Last of us Remastered's set up.

I only every went into party chat with Real life friends on Destiny but after watching this video I am stoked after checking this video out with the neat effects through fireteam chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w051o_Pfk7g

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"The Destiny beta does not support xbox live party chat"

ahahahaha that's ridiculous

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

xxEightxx posted:

Great OP, only thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that it is F2P and not a subscription model game. Don't know if that is really that important.

Thanks! And good suggestion. I added a question about subscription fees to the FAQ.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Under the weapons section in the OP:

quote:

Primary weapons include scout rifles (Halo DMRs), auto rifles (Halo Battle Rifles), pulse rifles and hand cannons.

Auto rifles are just Halo Assault Rifle analogues. Pulse rifles are the Battle Rifle analogue. :eng101:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Auto rifles are just Halo Assault Rifle analogues. Pulse rifles are the Battle Rifle analogue. :eng101:

No, Auto Rifles are usable assault rifles, if they were Halo Assault Rifles they'd be absolute poo poo :laugh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fateo McMurray posted:

"The Destiny beta does not support xbox live party chat"

ahahahaha that's ridiculous

It was a bug with the beta - party chat worked if you left the part snapped, or joined it before launching the game.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GruntyThrst posted:

And the hand cannons are just Halo pistols

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

victrix posted:

No, Auto Rifles are usable assault rifles, if they were Halo Assault Rifles they'd be absolute poo poo :laugh:

The Halo 3 assault rifle was okay!

FishBulb posted:

And the hand cannons are just Halo pistols

Sort of. They do similar damage but have half the capacity and worse zoom, although I'm sure some will have better scopes.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

GruntyThrst posted:

I'll change it. Thanks!

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

GruntyThrst posted:

Sort of. They do similar damage but have half the capacity and worse zoom, although I'm sure some will have better scopes.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I hoped for the Halo pistol, but got its slightly retarded cousin.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Speaking of handcannons, based on the Gamescom trailer they're already getting improved. The exotic gun they showed had faster reload and a bigger mag than what is currently in the database.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So Destiny is now apparently the most pre-ordered new IP in history according to Bungie's facebook post today.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Levantine posted:

So Destiny is now apparently the most pre-ordered new IP in history according to Bungie's facebook post today.

Yep, they crowed about it during the Sony Gamescom event.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Levantine posted:

And that was from just Gamestop pre-orders alone which do make up a pretty significant number of pre-orders for any game.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I thought the Gamestop thing was just it was the most pre-ordered new IP in Gamestop history. But that probably means in all game history too considering how big Gamestop is.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
When I go into Gamestop to add :10bux: to a preorder they just tack on another copy, then combine them when the game comes out :v:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

The Meat Dimension posted:

When I go into Gamestop to add :10bux: to a preorder they just tack on another copy, then combine them when the game comes out :v:

Sounds like a way for the employee to increase their preorder numbers, which is really important to your performance evaluations if you work there...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

whoknew posted:

Sounds like a way for the employee to increase their preorder numbers, which is really important to your performance evaluations if you work there...

Yrah, this is not the correct way to handle that, this guy had lovely metrics and did that to make himself look better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The wording was 'new IP' though, presumably that means CoD or whatever still had/has better preorder numbers.

But either way, it's great news for Destiny, unless the game bashed on launch because people get angry at a lack of content or some poo poo, we're assured of seeing all the dlc and Destiny 2 etc down the line.

Personally, I cannot loving wait until they jettison the last gen consoles and give us 60fps.

... but that probably won't happen in time for Destiny 2, not with the combined 360/ps3 install base out there :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I was reading through the XBox One Shark Tank (never go there jesus christ :psyduck:) and people were saying the console cannot do 1080p for any game due to limited eSRAM or some poo poo. Yet, I read in the OP here that Destiny will be 1080p by launch. What's the deal?

(Maybe it's 1080p with 60 fps that the XBox One is incapable of performance-wise and Destiny can run at 1080p because it is at 30 fps natively?)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a lot of 1080p Xbox One games. The shark tank are just full of bitter nerds who want to bash a particular piece of consumer electronics.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
High-res (1080p), High FPS (60), "Next-Gen" Graphics... Pick any two.

Obviously a generalization with more and more exceptions over time, but the iron triangle is a pretty common metaphor for situations like this.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

syphon posted:

High-res (1080p), High FPS (60), "Next-Gen" Graphics... Pick any two.

Obviously a generalization with more and more exceptions over time, but the iron triangle is a pretty common metaphor for situations like this.

This isn't inaccurate

In a powerful fit of irony, the console with the most high quality 1080p/60fps games is probably the... wait for it, Wii U :ughh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The Wii U is a great example of art direction being 99% of the graphics, some of the games look absurdly beautiful. Nintendo first party is not to be hosed with.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Siets posted:

So I was reading through the XBox One Shark Tank (never go there jesus christ :psyduck:) and people were saying the console cannot do 1080p for any game due to limited eSRAM or some poo poo. Yet, I read in the OP here that Destiny will be 1080p by launch. What's the deal?

(Maybe it's 1080p with 60 fps that the XBox One is incapable of performance-wise and Destiny can run at 1080p because it is at 30 fps natively?)

It's not an absolute and development tools will likely get better over time. The base assumption behind why people say that is the Xbone having a weaker GPU and slower memory with a very small chunk of very fast memory to make up for it.

It basically says that if a developer were to devote equal time to a game on both PS4 and Xbone, it would be less work to hit 1080p and 60fps on the PS4, or that the Xbone version may make some graphical sacrifices to hit certain milestones. AFAIK there's not been a proper comparison between the two versions for Destiny and a developer would have to be bad, have very tight time or budget constraints, etc. to make a game that has a massive performance difference between the two platforms.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Siets posted:

Microsoft changed their dev tools recently to shift some CPU and GPU capacity from Kinect processing to games. The extra power this freed up allowed Bungie to upgrade Destiny to 1080p from whatever it was before without losing any frames per second.

The Xbox shark tank is for entertainment, not hard technical info.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is there crossplay between the platforms? If I buy it for a 360, am I only going to be playing with/against other 360 players or will it crossplatform with the Xbox One or Playstation versions too?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I read the op but has anyone had experience with the ps3 and ps4 versions, both? Is it worth getting a ps4 for this?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
It is never worth getting any console for a single game; that said the PS4 has a lot of good games, so I'd recommend one anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is there crossplay between the platforms? If I buy it for a 360, am I only going to be playing with/against other 360 players or will it crossplatform with the Xbox One or Playstation versions too?

Xbone can play with 360, PS4 can play with PS3. No crossplay with different company consoles.

totalnewbie posted:

I read the op but has anyone had experience with the ps3 and ps4 versions, both? Is it worth getting a ps4 for this?

Aishan posted:

It is never worth getting any console for a single game; that said the PS4 has a lot of good games, so I'd recommend one anyway.

This. The PS4 has a good number of titles worth playing now, and come Winter/Spring 2015, poo poo is gonna get nuts.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

TaurusOxford posted:

Xbone can play with 360, PS4 can play with PS3. No crossplay with different company consoles.

This. The PS4 has a good number of titles worth playing now, and come Winter/Spring 2015, poo poo is gonna get nuts.

Actually you can transfer your character from generation to generation on a single console manufacturer, but cross play is definitely not possible.

And yeah if you've got the cash I'd upgrade. It's definitely at its best on PS4, the majority of goons seem to be planning to play on PS4 and there's a bunch of other good PS4 games either out now or due in the next 3 - 6 months.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

totalnewbie posted:

If there is a game that could sell the system I think this is it. But yeah there are plenty of other options that make the system attractive both now and down the road.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

TaurusOxford posted:

When did this change? During beta the devs explicitly said they weren't going to do crossplay at all due to the resolution differences between generations, for fear of current gen players having an advantage.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

monkeu posted:

Actually you can transfer your character from generation to generation on a single console manufacturer, but cross play is definitely not possible.

G-Prime posted:

When did this change? During beta the devs explicitly said they weren't going to do crossplay at all due to the resolution differences between generations, for fear of current gen players having an advantage.

I could have sworn crossplay was going to be possible through same company consoles. Oops, nevermind then.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
While all versions are 30, the decision was stated by Bungie made to not do cross-generation play because while PS4/Xbone has the competitive advantage of more pixels over PS3/360, the psychological advantage will be so much larger it will crash and burn in drama and feuds. Some just-after E3 Q&A video for a source.

And I think this looks plenty current-generation in graphics especially with the beautiful filters. Looking great on last-generation machines just by design.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My one final post-beta wish is that they just pull back a little further on the FOV. Just a few degrees.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

totalnewbie posted:

The graphics are just fine on PS3, but I am guessing more of us will be playing on PS4 so that may be limiting. I've played both beta versions and the gameplay was undistinguishable, only the graphics differed, and mostly on distant objects. They've done a decent job with LOD on the less powerful console. If you do want a PS4 and you're in the US I suggest camping Cowboom for refurb PS4s, I got one with nary a scratch for $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

CrashCat posted:

The graphics are just fine on PS3, but I am guessing more of us will be playing on PS4 so that may be limiting. I've played both beta versions and the gameplay was undistinguishable, only the graphics differed, and mostly on distant objects. They've done a decent job with LOD on the less powerful console. If you do want a PS4 and you're in the US I suggest camping Cowboom for refurb PS4s, I got one with nary a scratch for $250.

This is right, some fancier lighting and water effects as well less jaggies on distant stuff.comprion video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrVH9yuPYU

I think this is more a function of gimping the next gen versions to keep them closer to this last gen. Figure Destiny 2 will be out 1.5 years maybe? enough time for, what, a 30-50 million install base between the bone and PS4? Drop the old consoles and get 60FPS going, a 10 year old can scrounge up 400 bucks over 2 years...

• Locked thread