Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hand Cannons and Pulse Rifles getting improved for retail after beta feedback, confirmed via IGN at GamesCom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

One goofy thing about Iron Banner: Assuming a large, healthy and active pvp community, if their matchmaking is good, it almost doesn't matter how good your opponents gear is.

Because if you start losing matches against good players with good gear, you'll start getting matched against shittier players, and regardless of their gear level, a lovely player with an amazing gun is still a lovely player.

Part of it also depends on how heavily they clamp the delta in iron banner between joe newbie in whites and epic uber guy in level 38 purples.

I'd imagine they'll keep it somewhat constrained, otherwise it would really, really suck to get into just a few months down the road, or after the first/second dlc drops.

(sidenote: None of this matters if you play in a full 6 man fireteam with goons or whoever, organized teamplay > small numeric advantages every time)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MrLonghair posted:

Hand Cannons and Pulse Rifles getting improved for retail after beta feedback, confirmed via IGN at GamesCom.

Awesome, I was really liking the idea of roaming the wastes as a futuristic Man With No Name, but the drat handcannons were so weak compared to everything else, it wasn't worth it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Awww yeah. They just need less recoil and slighty more damage. I just found it weird that pulse rifles had more recoil than the auto and scout rifles.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

a cop posted:

Play the last of us multiplayer. If you can own people in that you are ready for destiny.

I'm still poo poo at killzone MP.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I really don't know why you'd play this if you didn't plan on doing even a little bit of PVP. That's like half the game right there. And shooting Skylars and Braydens will never not be fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

Part of it also depends on how heavily they clamp the delta in iron banner between joe newbie in whites and epic uber guy in level 38 purples.

I'd imagine they'll keep it somewhat constrained, otherwise it would really, really suck to get into just a few months down the road, or after the first/second dlc drops.

Normal Crucible is the one where things are constrained and smoothed down to an even playing field. Iron Banner lets you go hog wild after the skill check (presumably they are using modified ELO like every other matchmaking service in the universe).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Looks like the Expansions are actually a bit bigger than I thought, by virtue of having a Raid.

quote:

We call it an expansion because it has one of all the activity types from Destiny, so it's story, strike and beyond – and competitive and cooperative experiences in there. As well as new gear, new armor, new weapons and everything else.

haveblue posted:

Normal Crucible is the one where things are constrained and smoothed down to an even playing field. Iron Banner lets you go hog wild after the skill check (presumably they are using modified ELO like every other matchmaking service in the universe).

Sort of, you still benefit from all your equipment perks. So items like Crest of Alpha Lupi seem like a massive advantage in PvP modes where you can rez your team, for example.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

haveblue posted:

I'm aware, I'm talking about the clamp in Iron Banner, not normal Crucible - ie, just how much they let attack/defense/level have an impact on damage dealt and received.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

If they add one raid per expansion, I guess I'll buy every expansion forever.

FishBulb posted:

Thats how they get you!

I've reached a point in my life where I'm fine being got, as long as I'm having fun with bros and doing space magic/wearing space dragon bone gauntlets.

gameday fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 15, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

gameday posted:

If they add one raid per expansion, I guess I'll buy every expansion forever.

Thats how they get you!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Duke posted:

I really don't know why you'd play this if you didn't plan on doing even a little bit of PVP. That's like half the game right there. And shooting Skylars and Braydens will never not be fun.

You can ignore PVP completely in Borderlands, so it's probably an awful lot like that sort of experience.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I will be ignoring the PvE entirely unless there is an insanely imba item to get.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can't wait for the Warlocks of Pluto expansion.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Sorry if this has been tread upon, but do PS3 and PS4 players play together?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ZionestLord posted:

No. You're able to transfer characters between the versions, though.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

ZionestLord posted:

Gonna go ahead and add a FAQ question about this.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Levantine posted:

Dammit, Bungie! Stop making the wait so difficult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkv74QxryUI
This did not get enough love on the last page. I am going to live on Mars. It looks so drat good, and the Cabal look awesome.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

misguided rage posted:

No. You're able to transfer characters between the versions, though.

Darn, that is a deal breaker for me, I was thinking of getting it for PS3 but if I can't play with my friends that have PS4s not worth my time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The Duke posted:

I really don't know why you'd play this if you didn't plan on doing even a little bit of PVP. That's like half the game right there.

Strongly disagree that it's "half the game." There's going to be way more unique content in PvE and the progression will be just as good.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

When has cross-gen play been possible in any game ever? The question gets asked at least once a page, always with an assumption that it's possible, but I can't think of an example of a game that this has ever happened with.

Same thing with cross-platform play across different console manufacturers, like Xboners playing with PS4 dudes.

Destiny seems like a pretty core game, I'd assume most of the people interested in it have been playing games long enough to just know it won't be happening.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Funkmaster General posted:

When has cross-gen play been possible in any game ever? The question gets asked at least once a page, always with an assumption that it's possible, but I can't think of an example of a game that this has ever happened with.

Same thing with cross-platform play across different console manufacturers, like Xboners playing with PS4 dudes.

Destiny seems like a pretty core game, I'd assume most of the people interested in it have been playing games long enough to just know it won't be happening.

Cross-gen play? Halo 2.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Yeah because it hasn't happened in the past it's guaranteed to never happen in the future.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

FishBulb posted:

Iron Banner is going to be time limited or something right, like 1 week or month or something like that? Didn't someone post about that before.

That sounds right to me.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

From what I can tell it all stems from the fact that Destiny has MMO elements. Since the only MMO that's come out on PS4 (that I know of?), FF XIV, allowed cross play and let you upgrade your version for free since it was run on a subscription fee model, people are unreasonably expecting the same features from a game that doesn't run on a subscription fee model.

Ularg posted:

Cross-gen play? Halo 2.

Huh? Halo 2 never came out on 360? You could play the original Xbox version on the Xbox 360, but there was never any version you could cross play between.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Hey guys, just wanted to remind everyone, since it comes up in IRC a lot: it's not Sept. 9th yet.

:cry:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to remind everyone, since it comes up in IRC a lot: it's not Sept. 9th yet.

Have some new Mars gameplay footage then.

The Cabal seem super fun to fight/a nice change of pace from the high critter count of the Fallen/Hive.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lumpy posted:

Why you gotta be like that? I keep watching what I recorded from the beta. Its almost like playing. Almost :unsmith:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

grrarg posted:

This did not get enough love on the last page. I am going to live on Mars. It looks so drat good, and the Cabal look awesome.

:hfive: Can't wait to shoot fatties on Mars!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I will only play games with Platinum users.

(how long has that box been there please tell me they just added it)

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Triggsz posted:

I dunno about you but i plan on spending 90% of my time crabwalking after pubbies in the tower.

No other game can let me do this.

Bungie needs to release a tower game where we just hang out in the tower, it's where 50% of the gameplay is.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fateo McMurray posted:

I will only play games with Platinum users.

(how long has that box been there please tell me they just added it)

Yes, they just added it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Gotta separate the wheat from the chaff somehow.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

The Duke posted:

[quote="Azzanadra" post="433579975"]
No other game can let me do this.

Bungie needs to release a tower game where we just hang out in the tower, it's where 50% of the gameplay is.

I'm sure there's some online chat room where you can hang out pretending to dance with 14 year old boys

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Captain Matchbox posted:

I'm sure there's some online chat room where you can hang out pretending to dance with 14 year old boys

Is Habbo Hotel still around?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
So each expansion is basically another planet. Cool.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Ajax posted:

So each expansion is basically another planet. Cool.

We know that the first expansion, The Dark Below, takes place on the Moon:

quote:

Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I sort of wish a little bit that they put that on Mars, so we'd know what it's like to play Doom as Master Chief.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

SlimGoodbody posted:

I sort of wish a little bit that they put that on Mars, so we'd know what it's like to play Doom as Master Chief.

Doom guy had about the same amount of weapons to choose from, but he could carry more than 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

monkeu posted:

We know that the first expansion, The Dark Below, takes place on the Moon:

Good point, the content amount of another planet, but without new art.

• Locked thread