Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I was reading through the XBox One Shark Tank (never go there jesus christ :psyduck:) and people were saying the console cannot do 1080p for any game due to limited eSRAM or some poo poo. Yet, I read in the OP here that Destiny will be 1080p by launch. What's the deal?

(Maybe it's 1080p with 60 fps that the XBox One is incapable of performance-wise and Destiny can run at 1080p because it is at 30 fps natively?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CheeseFactory posted:

Yeah i preloaded the beta and PSN/Bungie servers were rock solid, though some people had issues with the store front. So i have high hopes. Next 4 weeks are going to suck.

Does anybody else other than me listen to the Destiny soundtrack all day at work...?

:smithicide:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Triggsz posted:

Yeah, if you like running around in a dress :gay:.

There are a lot of ways that we can either fairly or unfairly label said aesthetic.

I happen to like Game of Thrones meets Halo. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Triggsz posted:

Remember when The Burning Crusade came out?

All those hours will be lost in time...like tears in rain.

I remember greens replacing my hard-earned Molten Core epics. It was a terrible, terrible feeling.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Borderblands amirite? :smug:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Alright, folks, I've been in the dark on what Destiny is and even more in the dark on why everyone's excited about it. What specifically is it going to do to make me want to play it? What separates it from the pack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpb017qppFs

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DO IT TO IT posted:

I refuse to believe they would put a dragon in and not let you shoot at it.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was nothing more than a simple homage to the Destiny-that-was from years ago (as seen in early concept art.)

...let's hope we get to shoot it though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The traveller is a beacon that helps the darkness pinpoint where to go. It wasn't being chased, it was guiding the darkness to the last remnants of humanity, who were previously lulled into a false sense of security, so they wouldn't attempt to flee.

The speaker is the last raid boss of the second expansion.

I made this up but it's pretty obvious by now after playing like 20 years of video games and all their obvious stories

Mass Effect kinda already did this with the Reapers controlling evolution in order for development to occur along predictable lines.

I'd much rather the Traveler be a benevolent entity. Something that itself is one of a few last remnants of an ancient civilization that also fought the Darkness. The Traveler searches the galaxy for civilizations yet untouched that it can hopefully ascend into something that can finally stand up to the Darkness.

Since goons just have to have a grimdark cynical twist in all their plots, it turns out the Traveler has been doing this for aeons simply as an ancient relic of its programming. It is tragically a pointless effort, as most of the galaxy is already dead and the Darkness is now too vast to realistically contend with. Humanity's only hope is to find a way to escape the galaxy unnoticed to start again somewhere new.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SlimGoodbody posted:

Thus leading into Destiny 2. I could definitely see them running with something like that, even though I like the hotel tone they've struck so far and hope they continue to keep the theme relevant to the rest of the story. I'm pretty tired of all my fiction being about the pointlessness of everything and how we're all incompetent. There's enough of that permeating every other aspect of reality right now.

Right there with you. It's pretty silly that unless that theme is present, the masses seem to handwave anything else away as poor writing or just plain camp.

You know, at one point society actually gave a poo poo and was optimistic! The 1960's were a thing that happened! All of Destiny's trailers point to an optimism despite overwhelming odds. That's what gripped me about the game and it's what I hope they stick to despite any criticism of depressed internet nerds.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tomahawk posted:

There's a story in my shoot and loot game?

Yes. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EVGA Longoria posted:

https://twitter.com/bungie/status/503357717566599168

Servers go up at soon as IDL hits midnight, looks like. It's just about PSN unlocking/UPS delivering/Gamestop releasing your copy of the game that determine when you play.

How trustworthy are online deliveries at delivering same-day for this sort of thing?

Ah... who am I kidding, I'm probably just going to reserve a limited edition at Gamestop. :sigh:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why does it get more painful instead of less painful the closer we get to launch?

:(

e: vvv shut up shut up shut upppppppp!!!

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 25, 2014

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Toasta posted:

I sure hope so, haha. This is my first time getting a console on Amazon, so I have no experience with release day delivery. I've tried playing games since the beta ended, and each time I try, I just feel like playing Destiny. I haven't been this excited for a game since waiting for the original Halo to come out!

Let's all take a quick moment and relive the hype together. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWVvi2t7lA

(Also god drat... 12 years later and those skyboxes are still beautiful. Bungie. Bungie never changes.)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The power of suggestion is a hell of a drug.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pffft dancing...

Goon World Cup!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Stanyer89 posted:

Since you are getting Destiny for the Bone, we are now friends. Think of it as friendly friend rape, I mean you can say no, but in the end you have no choice. ;)

Can I join the friendly party? I, too, will be getting The Destiny on The Bone.

Tag: AgentSiets

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I once bought some chinese PS2 input adapter for the original XBox because I was far more skilled at mouse and keyboard FPS games. I immediately went on to repeatedly headshot dominate my friends in Halo 2 and within an hour they houserule banned me from using it against them. It really does provide an insane advantage once you adjust the sensitivity to the right spot so that it feels the same as your PC's mouse.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

None of the above.

There is a Hunter walking away from an explosion while adjusting his hood.

There better be an *adjusts hood* emote or else heads are gonna roll.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any limited editions left anywhere???

:smithicide:

I guess it does say "limited." I am a fool for waiting so long.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress, my thumbs have not been this sore since I was a child playing fighting games on summer break. This game is GOOD.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tx2005 posted:

Anybody want to run The Devil's Lair with me? I just tried a pubbie run that was awful.

Not all pubbies are bad. I ran with two last night who completely carried me through it.

I was level 7 in mostly white gear and I was paired with an 8 and a 9 who clearly did much better damage. As hunter with double-jump I decided to play medic instead and run around like a mad man reviving my team mates and then hiding in dark corners like a coward while they did all the killing. Apparently levels and gear really do make a big difference in PvE. At my level and gear, it was basically an exercise in futility trying to kill those shielded captain guys.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Couple of pages ago, but totally. The astonishing thing is that Activision has announced it has already made back $500m on it after just a day. So the servers have been phenomenal.

Great game, the complaints about the story are valid - it seems to me those who are down on it elsewhere are also those who's never played an MMO-like game before and find the peculiarities of the genre pretty jarring. That's the overwhelming impression I'm getting.

At 18+, the game opens wide up. At 20, it's a big playground. Hit endgame and impressions will change for the better, dramatically.

I think it's really important to call out how smart of a decision it was that a developer finally focused on endgame quality first, as opposed to the typical approach where they pour all of their heart and soul into designing the leveling up game and world with the endgame being an afterthought. People always, always, always breeze through the leveling content.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

What's going on with the Metacritic of this game? Seems to be a lot of pissed off people or something.

For the record, I checked Metacritic to see what this is all about. This is the first 0-score review I saw:

Madfandiamond posted:

I deliverately registered here to tell, this game is a crap. What kind of people create it as a boss fight lenth for 2 hours and you cant finish it. You shoot the boss and if hit his life line refuce by 0,000001% and you have to hit him during 1 or 2 hours. This is insamely boring! Game should make you enjoy it but not make you feel like you are worker at an assembly line making routine repititive actions during hours. Hey, Activision, this is entertainment industry!

...so take the Metacritic score as you will. :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AbrahamSlam posted:

Yeah, best to remember that users can and usually will be really whiny and make a point of shitposting when they aren't having a good time (because they're bad).

I literally read that guys review and it made me like the game even more when I realized that a game developer released a mass-appeal game and yet still had the balls to make challenging content the default experience. Bravo Bungie.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also echoing that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get work done today. This is basically me at my desk right now: :bang:

(With the occasional :f5: on the Destiny thread of course.)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Exodos posted:

With my whopping 4 hours of total game play, I can echo this statement.

Yeah they seem to do pretty good damage... if you can manage the recoil. :gonk:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A couple goons added me on XBL a few weeks ago when I posted, but they are really slow leveling and aren't ready to tackle some of the higher-end weekly and daily challenges.

Here's me: http://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/1/4611686018433396310/2305843009217864561

Any Xboner goons, feel free to add me. I'm on pretty much every night during US primetime and would love to do weeklies, dailies, and eventually raiding.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. WTF posted:

How are you getting that volume of marks/coins/motes in that short a time?

If I am reading his post right, he is just saying that you only need to get to the numbers he posted to obtain the gear you need to be end-game/raid-ready. My assumption is that he himself "shot caves and fell off cliffs" to get to 200 marks / 13 coins / 23 motes, but that you don't need to keep grinding beyond this as long as you spend this amount correctly between Xur and your class vendor.

Unless he's just trolling and does have a better farming method and is just being a dick and holding out on us. :argh:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

monkeu posted:

You don't understand. The game is unfinished and a framework because I've only played it for 20 something hours in the ten (10) days since it was released and

http://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/1/4611686018433396310/2305843009217864561#gear

As a person who works 9 to 5, I've managed to somehow put in 1d 3hr of time into my character since launch. Just pulled my first exotic last night! :toot: In fact, there's still so much left for me to do and experience.

• Still working on getting all purples.
  • Would love to collect more legendaries/exotics and start coming up with builds based around different combinations of the ones I have.
  • Haven't even touched the raid yet, let alone the weekly heroics or the nightfall heroics.
  • Still loving every goddamn minute of this game.

The people with no jobs that poopsocked this game for days on end since launch and have somehow run out of content/progression before Bungie could even start their timed events are not the normal audience. Do you guys know what a bell-curve is? It's you. You are the ones on the far far far far FAR right side of the graph that are referred to as outliers.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hackan Slash posted:

Anyone on the bone high enough to do raids? I want to try it out, but none of my friends poopsock as much as me. GT Hackan Slash.

I'm currently at 24, almost 25. Just about to hit vanguard rank 2 and will then have the marks to buy two pieces of legendary gear that might push me to 26.

I will be there very shortly and am eager to do raids. I will add you when I get home. Which timezone are you?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Strawberry Panda posted:

I just hit 26 today. Add me too. I'm EST.

I would, but it looks like you're PSN. I'm Xbone. :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Woodhouse posted:

This is the most amazing description for a Titan I've ever come across and should be in the OP.

:eyepop:

Wow, I know what class I'm playing next for my inevitable altitis affliction.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, gently caress exotic bounties. I finally pick one up and it's "do the Phogoth strike."

Ok, easy enough...

Then it's "kill 500 Hive."

Sure, I'll just go to the Temple of Crota entrance farming spot.

Now it's "gently caress You Buddy. Have fun killing 500 guardians in the crucible using only void damage. OH! Almost forgot... Getting killed yourself removes progress, so really it's more like thousands of kills as long as you maintain a positive K/D!"

:catstare:

What... In the ever-living gently caress Bungie?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the next time I get an exotic bounty, is there any way to know how to not pick Thorn, AKA the lovely One? Are the quests random, or always the same? gently caress I wish I did my research before accepting.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any Xboners up for the weekly in a few hours from now? Would like to knock that out sometime this afternoon. If so add me "AgentSiets" and send me a message and I'll set up a fireteam when I get home.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

When you finish a Queen bounty, you get a token that lets you do a level 24 mission with some modifiers. When you complete that mission you get a guaranteed legendary. The rep is for shaders/emblems/blue weapons.

GonSmithe posted:

When you complete that mission you get a guaranteed legendary.

GonSmithe posted:

you get a guaranteed legendary.

GonSmithe posted:

guaranteed legendary.

But I thought Destiny was such a horrible grinding game with completely unfair punishing exploitive RNG that only nerds of the stinkiest and neckbeardiest variety would enjoy who must be excluded as human beings at the beginning of the Angry Joe review and :qq:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Why do this? What does this accomplish?

Was mostly just trying to poke fun at that Dahbadu guy who wrote walls of text on the grind. :shobon:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I just wonder how much the legendary engram thing hurts people's perception of the game's level of grindiness. I actually do think that if legendary engrams were blue but still dropped as often and still decrypted to greens/blues/legendaries at the same rate they currently do, the entire narrative would shift. After all, it's a lot more fun to have a pretty decent chance for an engram to be better than it appears than to have a pretty high chance that it's worse than it appears, even if nothing at all changes except the color of the engram itself.

Basically, I think Destiny's "grindiness" is entirely a problem of perception.

You are probably right. Having played launch Diablo 3 and being essentially classically conditioned to hate the color yellow, it's definitely a design mistake.

For those unaware, launch Diablo 3 had an auction house system where you could sell items that you found on the auction house to other players. Blizzard realized that in order for items to have any value whatsoever, getting a perfect roll of stats on rare gear had to be a very statistically "rare" thing when you've got millions of players slamming the slot machine at all hours of the day. If too many good items dropped in the entire gamewide population, they would have no "value" and flood the auction house with easy-to-acquire best-in-slot gear, which of course would make progression all too easy and destroy the entire endgame. As a result, rare gear (and legendary gear too) was always garbage when it dropped. Everybody eventually had a sinking feeling in their stomach when they realized "okay, there's essentially a few hundred of these best-in-slot weapons that I want on the auction house right now, out of the millions of people playing this game... and that means my personal odds of finding something comparable are... yeah... basically equivalent to winning the lottery. :smithicide:"

Destiny is a far cry from this. Honestly, enjoy the progression while it lasts. That's the whole fun of the game!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lame Devil posted:

I'm trying to do this hand cannon headshot crucible bounty and having a hard time. I do fine in crucible with my trusty assault rifle, but not doing so hot with the hand cannon. I know some people swear by it, so anyone have any tips for hand cannoning the crucible?

It's a twitch skill so it's hard to give advice other than "just keep training that muscle memory." However...

What seems to work for me is setting my crosshairs at head-level when aiming down sights, then just letting my left joystick do all the repositioning work when a target comes into view. This way you don't accidentally veer up or down as you might if you were adjusting your left/right aiming with the right joystick. Just sliiiiide to the left... Sliiiide to the right. The autoaim assist in this game seems to work wonders using this playstyle, at least in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

a cop posted:

If you're moving while using stealth you're doing it wrong. Hunters who sit in dark corners in rooms with multiple entrances clean up since they don't show up on the radar and people aren't expecting them.

Bladedancer spec with all of the stealth talents? I'm currently trying to decide on a build and this seems like a fun thing to try tonight.

• Locked thread