Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
On Quake 3 for the Dreamcast I used to run analog stick on the controller in left hand for movement and jumping, and mouse in right hand for aiming. WASD only has eight directions and two different speeds for movement (run/walk), but analog has more control. Scrubs.

I vaguely remember guys using flight sticks for movement on Quake 1 deathmatches with mouse for aiming too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

We're getting The Dark Below expansion in December, woop.

Nice, that's really good timing. I guess vanilla Destiny will have just Glass of Vault as its sole raid then.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's a lot of 1080p Xbox One games. The shark tank are just full of bitter nerds who want to bash a particular piece of consumer electronics.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Wii U is a great example of art direction being 99% of the graphics, some of the games look absurdly beautiful. Nintendo first party is not to be hosed with.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I read the op but has anyone had experience with the ps3 and ps4 versions, both? Is it worth getting a ps4 for this?

I played both. When the beta was still running, I ran it on my PS3 and it was the exact same content as the PS4 version which I played at a friend's. Graphically the PS3 version is lower resolution with some tune-downs on expensive effects like shadows, which is to be expected, but the performance was virtually flawless even though the hardware is ancient. I don't think I saw a single frame drop. Bungie did a really great job with the PS3 version, to their enormous credit. It would be a very logical thing to do if you wanted to get the PS3 game now, and the PS4 version later down the road when you're ready to make the jump. Your Destiny account is Sony/Microsoft-wide.

I bought a PS4 just for Destiny, however it is worth pointing out that I probably wouldn't have done that if there weren't already a bunch of other rather excellent games for the system.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Perhaps I missed it but is there going to be a way to customize your armor with decals and color schemes? Oh, and any word if this'll be a hat simulator like TF2?

There are 'shaders', items that you can apply to armor to change their color. Unfortunately there is one limitation - you can only equip one shader at a time, and it affects all your armor. So no clownsuits in Destiny.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm more concerned about how hosed I'll be in Iron Banner or late game PVE if I don't grind grind grind.

Are they reusable?

It's equipped & unequipped like any other bit of armor on the second page of the character screen (where you can select your ship and sparrow) so I would assume so, yeah.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My favourite Halo map is Chiron TL-34.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The time spent since the beta ended is now roughly the time left until the game comes out.
In other news, August is still August.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GodofGravity posted:

Think you may be right. I know when I first saw the game I thought "that's the game that I will buy a ps4 for." I knew I didn't want to get a launch ps4 and wanted to wait for any kinks to get ironed out in "version 2" of the console and was hoping for a bundle. I was kind of surprised when I learned it would be coming out on ps3/360. I think the number of people waiting for this game and not wanting to be early adopters will give a strong ps4 player base.

Battlefield 4 was marketed very evenly across all the platforms it came out on (PC, 360, XO, PS3, PS4) yet it had the most players on PS4. Destiny will be very one-sided for sure.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If Destiny could handle a beta with 4.6 million players, I think they can manage the retail release just fine. I would be surprised if the servers shat the bed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm going Titan with no reservations just because of that seriously slick-looking superman-like fist through the air special ability.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Transmog solutions almost always have arbitrary and capricious rules though. "No you may not make that high end purp look like a level 10 wolf mask!" Slot for slot or Fishbulb's doodads, please.

I remember the howls of derision when Blizzard barred players from transmogging their Godkiller Cleavers of Unending Heat Death Entropy of the Universe into fishes and rolling pins. That was a real 'no fun allowed' moment.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Thirding that, it's a form of doxxing. He must be absolutely swamped with friend requests and messages by now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The traveller is a beacon that helps the darkness pinpoint where to go. It wasn't being chased, it was guiding the darkness to the last remnants of humanity, who were previously lulled into a false sense of security, so they wouldn't attempt to flee.

The speaker is the last raid boss of the second expansion.

I made this up but it's pretty obvious by now after playing like 20 years of video games and all their obvious stories

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I still think it's a big bad thingy o'death.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

CerebralDonut posted:

Thanks for the responses. I don't care that it's not innovative or whatever, just wondering if it was anything more than a well-done combo of Borderlands and Halo. I'd be excited to play that.

As somebody who loved both Borderlands and Halo, Destiny's beta was absolutely fantastic. I think you'll really enjoy this game if you like those two.

It's unfortunately pretty loving hard to describe why Destiny is so good - I think it's just the whole package put together. It's more than the sum of its parts. The gameplay is slick as hell. It feels like a natural evolution in the genre, a bit like how we went from Wolfenstein to Doom to Quake to Goldeneye to Halo to Destiny.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_y3cbIV-Xg

That's still the most memorable ever E3 moment for me. The trailer was absolutely insane, even if it was dramatically different to the final release.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yep, I legitimately thought my disc was broken when I beat Halo 2. The ending is the most baffling and abrupt cliffhanger I've seen in any media. Except maybe Battlefield 4. Youtube or watch the ending above and be baffled by all its :psyduck: glory.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That content will be obsolete by the time the first expansion comes out, which is this Christmas if I recall right.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Assault on the control room is the greatest ever FPS level. Especially on co-op.

I can't think of any other level in any game that had a perfect mix of indoor and outdoor battles, with vehicles both ground and air.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 26, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm willing to bet the armor and weapons are drops from the strike that comes with it. A bit like how dungeons in other games have their own drops. The strike obviously isn't going to have zero loot is it?

quote:

But we do, actually!

Monte Carlo and Hawkmoon are level 20 Exotics.
The armors (Manifold Seeker, Argus Deimatic, [url="http://www.destinydb.com/items#name:vanir"]Vanir) are level 15 rares with random perks, so basically they're stuff you'll be looting.

It's also quite unlikely that you'll simply be given the weapons, since they;re basically end-game level stuff.

Basically, this. It's loot from the strike that comes with it. Put two and two together guys.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Trial of the Crusader tribute to immortality attempts :smithicide:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

What proportion of players who started Dark Souls finished it? I have no evidence for this, but my intuition is that it's a very small one.

This can be checked by looking at the achievements/trophy list on each game per console. I think there's a % of players who attained the achievement for getting the light/dark ending.

Your intuition is right, the majority of games have a minority of their players actually finishing the game. It's always interesting to see simple 'finished the game' trophies on a lot of PS4 games marked as rare to ultra-rare.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bungie will remove the elemental immunities at some point, that much is guaranteed. It's literally the number one 'don't make this gently caress-up' in the rpg book which dozens of developers have heeded the hard way, yet bungie still hasn't learned. The main reason being that players are forced to use gear that isn't the one they want to use/worked for. There are also only three elements and three weapon slots. The capacity to annoy and inconvenience is big there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Swap to your alternate spec and switch guns before entering a dungeon with elemental immunities, done.

That's not the point. That's like saying it was perfectly ok to equip all NR gear to take on Princess Huhuran, or all FrR gear to take on Sapphiron. If you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, you're probably not qualified to talk about the problem here as you've had zero experience with this kind of gameplay and don't know how frustrating it has been for players forced to gear up adequately for one-off fights. Forcing players to deviate from their preferred and typical builds and gearsets just to beat gimmick elemental fights is a proven Bad Idea.

I'd even :toxx: myself. Elemental immunities gone from Destiny within a year.

quote:

Dear Bungie, listening to this man is a Bad Idea do not do it

:pwn:

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 30, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

edit:^^^^^^^^^ :spergin:

But, in WoW,

Says the guy who thinks elemental immunities is a good idea

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nice meltdown. If I was the kind of player who wants to just hold the trigger to win I wouldn't be sperging about MMO mechanics I've experienced before. Use your noggin. If you don't want to listen to the arguments against it, that's fine but there's a real logic behind why it's a bad idea. This guy gets it;

quote:

The reason why resists sets were stupid in WoW was not because it wouldn't let you use your regular gear, they were dumb because they forced you to grind just to beat one boss. Your playstyle never changed just because you had a different set of gear.

The problem with elemental resist bosses is it forces you to change up your play style by changing equipment.

A better way to design stuff around elements would be to make some bosses take more damage from a certain elemental, that way you are rewarding players who swap instead of punishing those that don't.

There are several goons who've been through the same thing in this thread and they're saying pretty much the same thing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I bought a PS4 just for Destiny after playing the beta on my rusty old PS3. I think it's absolutely worth it. If you like shooters in general you won't regret it, but if you're a little fatigued of first person shooters in general it's worth trying in advance on one of your older systems.

The white Destiny PS4 is really gorgeous though, and there are games like Bloodborne on the way that will make you happy with your new system. So for me, Destiny fits the bill of 'killer app' and it does so for a lot of others too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Speaking of PSN friend stuff, where's that app to bulk add PSN names? Or is that in the PGS thread?

Here you go

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My HDTV can do it, but if you turn too fast the camera feels choppy. If you walk in a straight line or keep your movements controlled it's actually pretty effective - the only caveat is that there's noticeable input lag. The input lag is the reason I keep it turned off.

It's a pity interpolation isn't a feature of consoles, I remember 1 game that had it as a feature (it was a Star Wars game) and it was pretty convincing. Since then, nothing.

edit: here's an article on that particular game

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 2, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So I decided to look at the cesspool that is Neogaf, and they are making GBS threads themselves because review copies for Destiny won't arrive until the 8th of September. Despite a very public beta, and the knowledge that the game is online only and needs the servers to be ready to run, they are adamant the game is going to bomb because of it. I swear they overreact to everything, even compared to friendly goons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

I bet it you thoroughly explore the site you can find the "FROM THE CREATORS OF HALO" line that's been plastered on all the TV and print ads.

That's the first thing that came to mind. 'From the creators of Halo and the people who bought you Call of Duty' was plastered prominently over a lot of Destiny media. I can see how people can make the connection.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Neogaf whining got to such an extent a Bungie employee had to post a response;

quote:

We'll talk more about this in the update, but we did explore simulating a vibrant pre-launch population by giving early access to some fictive group, employing hired resources, and/or raising an army of sentient, killer robots. Ultimately, given that most reviewers are going to need to spend time with Destiny in the real world, under real conditions, we opted to have reviewers play alongside real players.

Some of them are still moaning.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Diablo 3 (PC) was pretty much broken garbage for the first week, and that was two years ago.

Diablo 3: Lord of Error 37

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

super macho dude posted:

Have the developers mentioned anything about the enemy respawn rate in explore mode? It seemed crazy fast in the beta.

The spawn rates are high because the game needs to accommodate other players in the region. In a lot of MMOs, developers play it safe with quick spawn rates instead of barren wastelands. Anyone who's ever tried to get Helcular's Rod back in the day will understand.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Stanyer89 posted:

Kind of lame that Xbone players have to wait until possibly Fall 2015 to play this Strike, along with the rest of the "Exclusive content".

But, then again, PlayStation owners did get shafted on the whole Halo franchise the last 13 years by Bungie so in the end at least we actually do get the content... eventually.

Bungie didn't do any shafting when it came to Halo, they were literally bought out and owned by Microsoft, until after development on Reach was finished. Then they managed to buy their way back out.

Maybe it's in my head, but it doesn't seem like Bungie and MS enjoy a particular rosy relationship these days.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a stupid loving thing to argue about anyway.

That's perfect for us goons.

Wonder what the surprise today will be.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Destiny is downloading on my PS4. 19GB plus a 296mb update file and the Vanguard armory.
I'm in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

In the PS4 store, if you go to the preorder you've already bought, you can click on the countdown where the Buy button used to be, and there'll be a checkbox where you can decide whether you want the download to start automatically when it's available.

To add to this, it'll start automatically even during standby mode. If you're at work and you have the SEN app, you can also start the download manually if you leave the console on standby at home.

Basically, standby mode is the dog's bollocks.

• Locked thread