Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

xxEightxx posted:

Great OP, only thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that it is F2P and not a subscription model game. Don't know if that is really that important.

It's not F2P either. You have to buy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

The Meat Dimension posted:

When I go into Gamestop to add :10bux: to a preorder they just tack on another copy, then combine them when the game comes out :v:

Sounds like a way for the employee to increase their preorder numbers, which is really important to your performance evaluations if you work there...

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

a shameful boehner posted:

The Warlock (?) Titan appears to be wearing a Daft Punk helmet at ~30s.

Sold.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Purgatory Glory posted:

Is the stat locking thing a for sure?

If you lock a class you immediately get another copy of it which you can then level up again and do whatever you want with.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Daviclond posted:

While I love a custom solution, wouldn't a conventional gaming headset with virtual surround sound provide a better experience for a console? I'm not contesting that the sound quality of a pair of nice Sennheisers will better but I've read favourable reviews of headsets with virtual surround on Amazon, for whatever that is worth.

It's probably not really going to matter at all. The tracker is going to be a more reliable way of knowing where enemies are in pretty much any situation.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

General Battuta posted:

Except for gametypes without a tracker :getin:

TRACKER IS FOR NOOBS lives!!!

MLG here we come.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Welp guys it was fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, monkeu and I have decided that the game is simply not innovative enough for anyone to play it in good conscience. Even though the game is a lot of fun, incredibly well-made/polished, and full of content, it's really just a cross between Borderlands and Halo.

We'll be closing the thread and shutting down the Bungie.net group shortly.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

But for real though, we actually have ~528 goons in the Bungie.net group and the game isn't even out yet. :holy:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Fifty Three posted:

Two day shipping means it's delivered on launch day, according to Amazon. :confused:

Amazon will always ship games and stuff that has a release date so that it arrives on the launch day.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

If you have a friend who works for gamestop they can actually just print the codes out without even a preorder...

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Oh my gently caress, when this game comes out and I don't have to live in a world where I've played Destiny and know how good it is without being able to play at all any more...

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Just so you guys know, Raid planning/scheduling is a feature that I am planning to add to destiny.sub.io based on what Bungie does/does not do at launch and what features such a tool needs. Considering that I already have all the authentication infrastructure set up it probably doesn't make sense for you guys to duplicate that effort. I welcome you guys to help figure out exactly what features that tool needs though, as well as how it would look.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Stormgale posted:

Sorry we have evolved beyond monkeys using fists to kill things, Humanities greatest advantage is forging tools to kill evil space people.

But why forge unnatural tools when you can simply reinforce your perfectly good fist?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Even if you manage to get a copy out of a store, you still won't be able to play until the 9th because the servers won't be up.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Toenail Ninja posted:

Just FYI there's an in-game emblem reward for hitting every icon on all 3 planets. It gives you a code to redeem on Bungie's site on your account.

Can someone post the code if you've already used it so we can try and see if you have to actually do it to get a unique code?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Stanyer89 posted:

7F9-767-F74

Works.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

For the main clan I will probably open it up as soon as the game launches.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

maestro81 posted:

I'll be playing this next week. I hope its not mega hyped and like completely broken on arrival.

This game probably has the best chance of any major release in recent memory of launching without a hitch. Of course, that is presuming that the underlying services (i.e. PSN and Xbox Live) don't go down.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

AAB posted:

Have we found out yet what having a different Ghost will do for you? I recall seeing slots for others.

It's not different ghosts, it's different casings for them. It's purely cosmetic.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I doubt it was intended to be an "in-universe" trailer. It's pretty obvious it was meant to reflect the social aspect of the game itself.

Um, how were they supposed to be talking to their Ghost then? I think it's pretty obvious from the story of the game that since Guardians are resurrected people from history that there might be room for this to be not impossible in the universe of Destiny.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Brightman posted:

Clearly the surprise is that there will be voice recognition that the Ghost responds to. That or the answer involves the suspension of disbelief as it is a freaking ad. I'd say 95% of the crazy poo poo that happens in any ad doesn't happen when experiencing the real thing. Except for trailers of movies I guess.

I realize I went a little :goonsay: there but, really, who says that everyone who is a resurrected futuristic killing machine would be super serious? I'm sure if the universe of Destiny was real a lot of guardians would treat it like a game. If you can't stop the overwhelming tide of galactic/universal evil, why not have a little fun before you die (again)?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Ha, I acknowledged the :goonsay: before you did, absolving me entirely!!!!!!

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Tomahawk posted:

Well I liked the commercial because I do not get regular human interaction and for a few moments I felt like I was having fun along side those characters and they were my friends.

This is why the internet reacted badly to the idea of no matchmaking for Raids, FYI

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

monkeu posted:

Also apparently this is a thing: http://www.destinyfragrance.com/ :laugh:

The whole deal between Bungie/Activision and Sony for this game is really clever, actually. Sony (presumably) gets exclusive advertising rights for the game and pays less than a true exclusivity deal would cost, but still associates PS4 as the platform of choice for Destiny. Bungie/Activision still get extra money, get to advertise their own game, and get to sell it to everyone anyway.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

:siren:The main SA Goons clans (for PS and Xbox) will be opened tonight around the same time that US copies unlock on PS4:siren:,

since Eurogoons and Ausgoons will likely want to be in their respective groups anyway.

whoknew fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 8, 2014

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Harlock posted:

I wonder how slow leveling breaks down around 10 or so. Most of these review people are level 5 already. Unless the whole thing is super fast anyways.

At the very least (and possibly further into the progression) you gain a level for every story mission you complete up til level 8. So it's not too surprising. It also seems that according to data that some people got from somewhere, there's 5 story chapters per planet, which means there's a total of 20. So maybe you gain a level per story chapter.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

whip posted:

So being an East coast American means my digital copy is the pain-in-the-rear end edition.

Take sleeping pills at 7PM, sleep 8 hours, wake up at 3AM. Problem solved.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The one in Destiny definitely felt like it belonged firmly to the video game school of 'incredibly shite beyond 5 yards even though a real shotgun can blow your leg off at 100+', to me there was always a better alternative no matter the range.
:goonsay:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Dunderhead posted:

Amazon Escalation Team (8:30pm CDT), this is what they just told me:

'We received the items late from the publisher, and as a result, release date will not be possible [for the Ghost and Limited Editions]. No one will be receiving this tomorrow.'

The representative in the U.S. from the escalation team was very matter of fact, and he said that since Amazon did not receive them on time, they cannot be the only ones at fault. I understand this, but I'm still very upset with Bungie and Amazon. So after a long 12-hour day tomorrow, there will be nothing waiting for me (and you). Mine's only traveling from Indianapolis to Chicago.

It's rare that we have a launch this big that so many people care about. I should have known better and will no longer be pre-ordering important items from Amazon.com. They've been great to me for years, but this is unacceptable.

Amazon rep says that publisher doesn't deliver items in time to be delivered on time, goon gets angry at Amazon.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Bungie.net seems to be up and down and I might fall asleep before 3AM, so the main SA Goons clans will be opening sometime tomorrow morning EST instead now.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

SA Goons clans are now open to join.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you even play Halo? 343 Guilty Spark was a square robot that floats, too.

Very square.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Soul Glo posted:

e: Sorry, looking at OP and it is vehemently against clan postin'.

e2: I tried to use the authenticator and it didn't work despite sending a join request to SA Goons first, so :shrug:

There's another SA Soul Glo on bungie.net with that MID. Use the grey numbers underneath your name on your profile instead of your name and the authenticator will work.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Diametunim posted:

Whoever's in charge of the main SA Bungie.net group needs to start pressing accept on some applications! I want the [GOON] tag so everyone knows I'm a special snowflake.

It's automated. You can visit the OP of the PGS thread to learn how it works.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644857

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

We hit 1000 members in SA Goons. Wow.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

ExCruceLeo posted:

I love this game but the grimoire writing is pretty embarrassing.

Lets play fan-fiction or cannon story:

I don't really see why that particular quote is bad?

Burno posted:

Is this a reward for something? I have seen a lot of people running around with it.

Yep, finishing the story.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

a cop posted:

Holy gently caress you can revive teammates in the new 3v3 mode. Why would they restrict this to one weekend a month. What the gently caress is wrong with you Bungie.

You can revive in the normal 3v3 TDM mode that's available all the time as well.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Woo, just finished the weekly strike and used the coins to get this:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Managed to hit level 25 :)
I have literally never seen any exotics though. Are there any goons who managed to get exotics from strikes or other PvE content? I don't think I even got a single legendary engram either with the exception of reaching rank 5 with the cryptarch. Guess the RNG hates me.

Got an exotic with strange coins as I posted earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Ularg posted:

3v3 Crucible with goons is now my new favorite thing. So, let's do that more often!

Beating the weekly strike on level 26 difficulty yesterday with you guys was the best destiny thing so far.

• Locked thread