Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Daviclond posted:

I'm buying a Destiny PS4 bundle so thanks for the advance warning. I'm planning on using my 5.1 speakers for audio. Is there a standard, cheap-and-cheerful recommended headset? Can I use my old 360 headset or is that the wrong kind of jack?

e: a google search says wrong jack size, should I look into an adapter or is it more complicated than that?

I like this one if youre running game audio through your speakers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K786AFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has great sound and a good mic. Earpiece looks big but is pretty comfortable. And it's inexpensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Meat Dimension posted:

Video went up on the Destiny YouTube channel. Is this new? I'm at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?20opyh1pLYg

I'm getting a "Video does not exist" error.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

magimix posted:

They are quite long; there is no other way to put it. That said, on the disk upgrade front, you should check out the main PS4 thread. I don't have the page number to hand, so you'll need to hit the search, but I'm quite sure there was recently a series of nice effort-posts from people on the whole disk upgrade thing. It may help, but might not be a transformative experience.

Not to mention if you're in a Fireteam, you're locked to the slowest loading member so even if your drive is blazing fast, you still don't get to shoot anything til everyone can.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lumpy posted:

Meh. They were a little long, but "load for 45 seconds, play an activity for 25 mins to 4 hours, load for 45 seconds" was something I can live with.

Plus you get to see your spaceship. Spaceships are cool! :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So Destiny is now apparently the most pre-ordered new IP in history according to Bungie's facebook post today.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

totalnewbie posted:

I read the op but has anyone had experience with the ps3 and ps4 versions, both? Is it worth getting a ps4 for this?

If there is a game that could sell the system I think this is it. But yeah there are plenty of other options that make the system attractive both now and down the road.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CheeseFactory posted:

Welp. Just booked a couple of days off work for the Destiny release. If the servers go down for those launch days it would be pretty funny, in a poo poo way.

Yeah, I did the same but I'm waiting til Thursday to take my time off Just In Case. Beta was pretty consistent though and from reading about Bungie's nerve center, it sounds like they are really planning for the load.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fateo McMurray posted:

So people who buy the physical version at midnight can play it immediately, but digital has to wait until 3am EST?

I don't think so. The servers go up when they go up. Digital preorders will have their stuff preloaded a couple days prior. I'm certain everyone gets to log into the game at 3am EST, physical or digital.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Dammit, Bungie! Stop making the wait so difficult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkv74QxryUI

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

grrarg posted:

This did not get enough love on the last page. I am going to live on Mars. It looks so drat good, and the Cabal look awesome.

:hfive: Can't wait to shoot fatties on Mars!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ularg posted:

This is when I just rewatch old trailers like crazy. Even found the GC PvP trailer without all the awful compression.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_destiny_gc_pvp_trailer-32704_en.html

Man oh man, still can't get over the art style.

I will make myself get good at PvP for that Iron Banner stuff, holy poo poo does it look good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lumpy posted:

Public Service Announcement: Only 20 days left.

It's going to be a long 20 days.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

a cop posted:

Do stuff, then.

what does that mean i don't understand

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm having trouble picking between Titan and Warlock to start with, myself. One gets to be a space muscle wizard, and the other gets to be a space wizard full-stop.

Decisions are hard :(

Decisions are easier when you can punch them in the face. You know the answer already. Play Titan

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eej posted:

Have people settled on a good headset mic for the PS4 yet? I've already got a good set of cans for my PC and all I want is just something that will direct the sound of sweaty nerds away from my TV and also not have a garbage mic.

I don't know about settled, but I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K786AFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a decent mic from what my party members said and the headphone is solid. I don't run game audio through my headset so it's perfect and the price is nice and low.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The shooting definitely feels like Halo: Reach so the comparison isn't too far off. Destiny is kind of its own thing made up of imitations of all the best things about several games. The dynamic world in Explore reminds me of Guild Wars 2. The large environments, loot and treasure boxes remind me of Borderlands. Destiny has sort of distilled the things I liked about those games and given its level of polish, not to mention how gorgeous it is, ends up being better than the sum of its parts, IMO.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

zooted heh posted:

if I decide to buy this for the ps3 then later buy a ps4 but want to chnage my psn name. is it still possible to transfer my character? will I have to start all over on the ps4?

Characters will transfer between PS3 and PS4, and Xbox360 to Xbone. So you're good. You will have to buy a PS4 copy of the game though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CheeseFactory posted:

I heard the exclusive content has been extended to the third full moon of the wet season, just so there isn't any confusion.

Seriously though, gently caress the next two weeks. I don't even feel like playing other video games.

I feel the same way. I'm trying to finish up my backlog but the Destiny beta really messed me up something fierce. Nothing I have is remotely as fun. We're in the home stretch, at least.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Milkman posted:

Since the beta I've played through Halo ODST/Reach/4, Killzone 3, and Resistance 3. That's where I'm at in life.

Actually, with the exception of H4, none of those were terrible.

Honestly I don't think H4 was even that bad. It certainly was not as good as Reach though. I could probably play ODST/Reach another time before Destiny and be a happy man.

I'm still holding out hope Bungie wants to do space combat in Destiny ala Reach at some point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

magimix posted:

I won't lie - curiosity would get the better of me!

Someone would have to beat me up and hold me down before that would get anywhere near any one of my holes. I'd rather be bullied with it than eat it voluntarily.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
A little bummed that Bungie confirmed Mercury as an MP map only. I was hoping to explore that stunning skybox.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Feenix posted:

Ah good. All is right with the world and we've reached that sub-two week phase where the posting gets really lovely and aggressive.

It's the end of Summer and we're on the edge of our seats. Nothing left to do before launch but tear eachother apart.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Feenix posted:

I'm making an observation more than complaining. This is how it always goes in the home stretch of <highly anticipated title>. :)

No! We must tear eachother apart of the circle will not complete! Blood for the Blood God! :kheldragar:

On a serious note, I think I'm going to try to disconnect from Destiny media til release. It'll be tough because I'm fiending for a fix, but I think it'll pay off on launch day. There are so many what-if's and no answers it seems silly to keep theorycrafting in the meantime.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Keep in mind this game doesn't have healing, aggro management, or dedicated crowd control that actually make all the traditional mmo raid poo poo 'hard'.

I can't imagine these raids being more difficult than shoot mans in right spot and avoid bad things.

Maybe some puzzle solving mechanics.

I wonder if it's going to require certain builds, like requiring a Void damage character here or a shield-using Titan there and that sort of thing. That might not be so bad.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So we can argue with a bit more information in regards to raiding: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12068

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It's a wonderful time to be alive.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Toenail Ninja posted:

Just FYI there's an in-game emblem reward for hitting every icon on all 3 planets. It gives you a code to redeem on Bungie's site on your account.

Yesss, another emblem in the bank.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ufarn posted:

I think Explore mode is the designated farming mode, for gathering crafting materials and stuff like that. Especially since the enemies keep spawning.

Yeah, I think the "Gather 10 Fallen Asses" quests mostly exist to anchor you to the Public Event areas. I found if I spent any time exploring in that mode, I was fighting Devil Walkers and defending Warsats constantly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azubah posted:

Not all of the underground areas, they were gated by high level gently caress you monsters.

They also closed off the wall in beta so you couldn't return to the very first area you play with the broken cars.

That's one thing I'm super looking forward to in release: exploring those tunnels gated off by high level dudes. Who knows how much is hiding down there!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dystram posted:

Unfortunately I didn't play the alpha or beta, and most of the videos I've watched seem to focus on whether it's like Halo or CoD, rather than, you know, actual game features, so I hadn't heard mention of free-roam exploration where you can gun down respawning enemies.

I was thinking that, if all the mobs are firewalled behind missions and flashpoints then things might get kind of stale - like a WoW in which you can only fight mobs after using the dungeon/raid finder. Very happy that's not the case.

The way it works is missions take place on a given planet. You aren't gated off from anything during the mission. Your start location may vary based on the mission is all. You can still explore to your heart's content and poo poo respawns like mad. There is a mode called Exploration which drops you into that planet without a mission taking up your indicator. You can then find beacons to do mini-missions to earn materials/exp/etc.

Does that make more sense?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fuligin posted:

I get that, it was still a bit much when I was getting shot in the back while still opening a loot chest or something. I only played the alpha though, so perhaps it's been tweaked since then.

It seemed to me that respawns always happen in the same place so once you know where those spots are, you can put yourself in safe hallways or areas pretty easily before checking your menu and such.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

monkeu posted:

Hmmm I missed this when he originally posted it, but Datto found out that Grimoire cards provide some (minor) bonuses for getting them to a certain level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHr1iBwjevU

Examples include certain weapon types leveling faster, certain enemy types dropping more glimmer if you have a glimmer dropping item active, gaining more of each natural resource each type you find it (spinmetal for example) and certain activity types giving you marks etc. I like the fact that they do something, but that the changes they make are fairly minor and not game changing or unbalancing or anything. Pretty cool stuff in my book.

Grimoire cards span your account, not just your character, right? That's kind of nice because it makes levelling new characters/weapons/etc a bit easier IMO.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I liked the trailer.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's perfect for us goons.

Wonder what the surprise today will be.

Space Combat! :hellyeah:

Or beards.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Stanyer89 posted:

Yeah so I really don't know who exactly is benefiting from this.

Reviewers maybe?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eej posted:

It's gonna be hard to decide between being a robit or a franchise crossing Femshep, punching all sorts of new aliens into space.

Exo Ttian, Human Hunter, Awakened Warlock. It must be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Being Awakened is basically being a space elf, though. Are you an elf sympathizer? :colbert:

No, never! It's robot robot robot for me. Robot punches, robot revolvers and robot glow-bombs. Robots all the way down. None of those stinky space-albinos for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I took fall damage most often when trying to double jump as high as I could off of high things. It happened a lot in that sewage drain area in Old Russia on the way to the Skywatch. I'm pretty sure since you can activate your second jump at any time during a fall, though, you can negate it pretty easily.

EDIT:

superh posted:

There was no fall damage whatsoever in alpha, I remember reading something where the devs commented about that. I experienced minor, token fell damage when I fell from extreme heights in the beta - probably just for gameplay feedback. We're so conditioned to it that it would feel wrong without it.

Obviously there were still some out of bounds "fall deaths" in both versions but I'm specifically talking about falling onto solid ground and surviving.

I'm almost positive there was fall damage in the alpha. It's been a while since I've played it but I recall taking fall damage in both the alpha and beta.

EDIT2: the only thing I can find with some brief googling is this dumb little thread: http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/65372688/0/0/1

VVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 5, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fuligin posted:

I'm thinking about going digital from PSN, but I don't any experience with preloading games before. Even if I download everything available ahead of time, am I still gonna get stuck in update hell when servers launch because additional files are necessary? If that's the case I guess I'll just go with retail.

You'll have the same problem if you go with retail, extra files being needed and all. Unless you really want the disc, go digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Diametunim posted:

code:
FJ9-LAM-67F (in OP) Emblem: Binding Focus

JD7-4CM-HJG Emblem: Illusion of Light

JDT-NLC-JKM Emblem: Ab Aeterno

JNX-DMH-XLA Emblem: Field of Light

7CP-94V-LFP Emblem: Lone Focus, Jagged Edge
Have some emblem codes that come from the limited editions of destiny, they aren't 1 time use so go crazy.

Also, I stole these from Reddit so, they're good for something.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! More emblems than I know what to do with but who cares free poo poo

• Locked thread