Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Arkham Mansion 3/Polsy - Interview Tapes: Scarecrow 2

Character bios updated: Scarface, Catwoman

DLC Combat: Crime Alley/Polsy

Right. The Scarecrow tape got clipped last time so it's in full at the end of this video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

You keep missing out on something special about the Visitor Center messages. :ssh: Once Joker (or in this case, Harley) is done speaking, after you turn around to walk away, if you turn to look back, the Joker statue will have moved positions. I couldn't always get it to work for me, or maybe some of the movements are just very subtle, but usually it's highly noticeable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is Crime Alley in the DLC meant to be the real one or just the one from the Scarecrow hallucination?

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
You missed the secret Arkham City teaser. Or are you coming back for that later?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

You keep missing out on something special about the Visitor Center messages. :ssh: Once Joker (or in this case, Harley) is done speaking, after you turn around to walk away, if you turn to look back, the Joker statue will have moved positions. I couldn't always get it to work for me, or maybe some of the movements are just very subtle, but usually it's highly noticeable.
I didn't know this was a thing. I'm probably not going back to look at it again though. I've already got three simultaneous playthroughs going just so I can re-record if I miss anything. Autosaves are a double edged sword.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Crime Alley in the DLC meant to be the real one or just the one from the Scarecrow hallucination?
Near as I can tell this is meant to be the hallucination Crime Alley. At least, based on what it looks like compared to its appearance in Arkham City/Origins.

Thunk posted:

You missed the secret Arkham City teaser. Or are you coming back for that later?
Definitely going back for it later. I left a collectible in that area so I'll need to come back later anyway!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thunk posted:

To my knowledge you have to complete the game first to get have that available to you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

dscruffy1 posted:

I didn't know this was a thing. I'm probably not going back to look at it again though. I've already got three simultaneous playthroughs going just so I can re-record if I miss anything. Autosaves are a double edged sword.

It's such a minor thing that it's hardly worth going back for. It's just a neat little creepy thing that helps foreshadow the ending.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

To my knowledge you have to complete the game first to get have that available to you.

I thought it was unlocked after getting all the Arkham Chronicles scans. Either way it is at the end of the game plus-or-minus a bit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CuwiKhons posted:

It's such a minor thing that it's hardly worth going back for. It's just a neat little creepy thing that helps foreshadow the ending.
Yeah, not worth going back for. Just show it once, really.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I wasn't going to bring this up in case he was waiting to show it off, but I'm glad you didn't since he didn't know it was a thing. It's a nice what the hell moment the first time you notice it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Got it in a recording before the game ends so it'll show up for sure. Not for a little while yet, but it'll show up.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Somebody mentioned what would happen if Batman actually took that step over the edge and killed somebody? If I remember correctly, a lot of the earlier comics Batman did actually kill people, the most noteworthy I can think of is when he hung a mental patient from the Batwing and didn't stop flying until he was dead, earlier comics Batman killed a lot of people, either unintentionally, or with ever intent of them dying. That being said, Dick Grayson did actually kill Joker in the Last Laugh, but Batman brought him back and dragged him to Arkham.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Disappointing that the Scarecrow hallucination is the same thing again. A bit repetitive. And what is supposed to be happening in reality when that's going on?

JackNapier posted:

Somebody mentioned what would happen if Batman actually took that step over the edge and killed somebody? If I remember correctly, a lot of the earlier comics Batman did actually kill people, the most noteworthy I can think of is when he hung a mental patient from the Batwing and didn't stop flying until he was dead, earlier comics Batman killed a lot of people, either unintentionally, or with ever intent of them dying. That being said, Dick Grayson did actually kill Joker in the Last Laugh, but Batman brought him back and dragged him to Arkham.
Batman kills people all the time. Beating people unconscious and leaving them lying wherever they fall is going to result in a pretty high number of deaths. Add to that the inherently dangerous environemnts a lot of the fights take place in, where being knocked over or thrown could result in falling from a great height or onto something dangerous. Not to mention the people he kills when not even fighting them, like anyone hit by debris or who gets in the way of one of his vehicles. Batman is a dangerous lunatic. Just look at that falling bell in the last video. Did he check if anyone was under it? No.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Disappointing that the Scarecrow hallucination is the same thing again. A bit repetitive. And what is supposed to be happening in reality when that's going on?

Batman kills people all the time. Beating people unconscious and leaving them lying wherever they fall is going to result in a pretty high number of deaths. Add to that the inherently dangerous environemnts a lot of the fights take place in, where being knocked over or thrown could result in falling from a great height or onto something dangerous. Not to mention the people he kills when not even fighting them, like anyone hit by debris or who gets in the way of one of his vehicles. Batman is a dangerous lunatic. Just look at that falling bell in the last video. Did he check if anyone was under it? No.

Ironically enough he's crushed a poo poo ton of people by accident under falling objects, once accidently shoved two men into a meat grinder, and in one case, he set a group of thugs on fire with a mixture of bleach and thermite from his belt, beat the poo poo out of them, and I guess Black Canary stumbled across him, beating men who were burning alive to death, she got turned on, and it's implied they boned in front of a pile of burning bodies, so yeah, sometimes, I think Bats might actually be crazier then Joker is, I actually have an issue for the Burned Bodies thing too, apparently it was one made by Frank Miller, which, explains a lot

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not to mention that time he locked KGBeast in a room and left him to die.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Tiggum posted:

This will be explained. You will like it.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not to mention that time he locked KGBeast in a room and left him to die.

I think it was later explained he told the authorities where he was and they went and got him, doesn't excuse the countless others he's brutally murdered

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You already get a sense of that if you look carefully at the backgrounds.

The first Scarecrow area was just a square shape, like the morgue. The second features him steadily climbing, explaining how he ends up in the clock tower.

JackNapier posted:

I think it was later explained he told the authorities where he was and they went and got him, doesn't excuse the countless others he's brutally murdered

I can't remember the full details, but in the original story there were some details that didn't match up with the later explanation. Something about KGBeast being wanted by the Russian government or something.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You already get a sense of that if you look carefully at the backgrounds.

The first Scarecrow area was just a square shape, like the morgue. The second features him steadily climbing, explaining how he ends up in the clock tower.

I can't remember the full details, but in the original story there were some details that didn't match up with the later explanation. Something about KGBeast being wanted by the Russian government or something.

Let's not even get started on how many times he's almost killed Joker, didn't he snap Joker's neck at one point? or several, knowing Bats

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's implied at the end of Killing Joke that he kills the Joker, since that story wasn't originally meant to be part of the canon.

He does almost beat him to death in Batman: Hush, though.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Yeah, I have to commend the fact that Joker seems the most inhumanely gifted man in the world at taking an rear end beating

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JackNapier posted:

Yeah, I have to commend the fact that Joker seems the most inhumanely gifted man in the world at taking an rear end beating
He's more than happy when Bats brutally beats the poo poo out of him because it shows the Caped Crusader isn't completely stable in the head. All Joker really he wants is Bats to just... grab his neck and twist that sleeper hold into something a little more permanent. Come on, Bats. Do it. DO IT! Haaaaahahahahaha!

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

JT Jag posted:

He's more than happy when Bats brutally beats the poo poo out of him because it shows the Caped Crusader isn't completely stable in the head. All Joker really he wants is Bats to just... grab his neck and twist that sleeper hold into something a little more permanent. Come on, Bats. Do it. DO IT! Haaaaahahahahaha!

I think that might be the reason why Joker is one of my favorite Batman villains, He's really the only one who stands on the same level with Bats, and he keeps pushing him to fall down to their level

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

JackNapier posted:

Let's not even get started on how many times he's almost killed Joker, didn't he snap Joker's neck at one point? or several, knowing Bats

Nah, that was in the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, I think; the Joker breaks his OWN neck in that one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JT Jag posted:

I don't know about the comic it's based on, but I really liked The Dark Knight Returns miniseries, with much of it being about how the Joker only exists because Batman exists and as a way to show Batman that he's as bad as the people he fights, and Batman does kill the Joker, which the Joker regards as a victory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about the comic it's based on, but I really liked The Dark Knight Returns miniseries, with much of it being about how the Joker only exists because Batman exists and as a way to show Batman that he's as bad as the people he fights, and Batman does kill the Joker, which the Joker regards as a victory.

He doesn't kill the Joker. At the end, he comes very close to it, but he stops himself. It's made more apparent in the comic, where the Joker taunts him for not actually going through with it in the end, but going far enough to make people think that he did.

Joker ultimately kills himself by twisting his own neck the rest of the way.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Edit: Earth 2 was the universe I was thinking of

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 4, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

JackNapier posted:

Ironically enough he's crushed a poo poo ton of people by accident under falling objects, once accidently shoved two men into a meat grinder, and in one case, he set a group of thugs on fire with a mixture of bleach and thermite from his belt, beat the poo poo out of them, and I guess Black Canary stumbled across him, beating men who were burning alive to death, she got turned on, and it's implied they boned in front of a pile of burning bodies, so yeah, sometimes, I think Bats might actually be crazier then Joker is, I actually have an issue for the Burned Bodies thing too, apparently it was one made by Frank Miller, which, explains a lot

That was from All-Star Batman and Robin. That comic was just Batman in full on psychotic mode and honestly everyone considers it a mistake. Also at one point he called Dick Grayson retarded and gave us the Goddamn Batman line.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

David D. Davidson posted:

That was from All-Star Batman and Robin. That comic was just Batman in full on psychotic mode and honestly everyone considers it a mistake. Also at one point he called Dick Grayson retarded and gave us the Goddamn Batman line.

He did, however, paint himself completely yellow and sit around drinking lemonaid when the Green Lantern showed up, so there is that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He also kidnapped Dick Grayson and spent a week driving around with him in the Batmobile because Frank Miller is absolutely nuts at timespans. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it's implied at the end of Killing Joke that he kills the Joker, since that story wasn't originally meant to be part of the canon.

Ugh, no, don't listen to freaking Grant Morrison on that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He also kidnapped Dick Grayson and spent a week driving around with him in the Batmobile because Frank Miller is absolutely nuts at timespans. :allears:

That's not the one where the Joker tried to order a burger, was it? Where they couldn't get his order right so he demanded to speak with the manager and shot the guy at the pick-up window?

There is some distinctive Morrison hate going on in that post and it is glorious. :allears:

I'm a Morrison fanboy, Let Moore keep writing his smut.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
To my great regret I've never read the Killing Joke. But I really want to. Everything I've heard or seen about it is that it's pretty much the Batman vs Joker story. It's not exactly crazy to say that not all Batman stories are created equal, All-Star Batman and Robin kinda goes off the rails, since, well...

Yeah. That was a thing. As for Batman killing the Joker in the Dark Knight Returns, not quite. The film is pretty accurate as to how he dies though, and to the book in general from what I've seen of it. He's acting fairly normal in his insane asylum until Batman appears on the TV at which point he...well, goes back to being the Joker. Then he quite deliberately snaps his own neck after the fight.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm the goddamn Batman is the best Batman line ever written what are you talking about.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

That's not the one where the Joker tried to order a burger, was it? Where they couldn't get his order right so he demanded to speak with the manager and shot the guy at the pick-up window?

No, this is the comic where Joker has sex with a woman, then kills her and has his (and this isn't a joke) shirtless henchwoman wearing Nazi swastikas on her bare chest clean up the mess.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, this is the comic where Joker has sex with a woman, then kills her and has his (and this isn't a joke) shirtless henchwoman wearing Nazi swastikas on her bare chest clean up the mess.

God drat it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So grim and edgy! People will have no choice but to take DC Comics seriously now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That psychologist is completely right, though. Batman IS the reason for his own villains much of the time.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Her salute needs work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah yes, Bruno. No joke, that's her/his name. How do I know? Because she (or he) is in other Batman comics. I'm pretty sure she's in Dark Knight Returns at one point.

Suffice to say, terrible in DC is by no means a new thing. But more about AA, which is definitely my favourite in the series (I would have said City, but I was very disappointed in the DLC and the thugs... I haven't played Origins yet, and am vaguely optimistic about Knight.) One thing I definitely like about Asylum is that very little is explicitly a surprise. There's nearly always some form of tell in there that all is not as it seems, from the coughing, to some Riddler funtimes that's actually visible before he makes his appearance (even before scruffy sees it), and even in certain sounds, voices, and things said (I'm not going to say anymore on that, because spoilers)

My favourite had to be the big-goons, who have a toxic green glow in places that instantly made me say "Awwww, crap... He's working with Bane on this one?" Obviously, that ended up to be not-quite-right... But I was on the right track.

As to the designs, I actually like them. Killer Croc has always been monstrous to one degree or another, Bane has often been a Rob Liefeld poster-child, and the grungy look to the villains gives me the warm fuzzies, because I grew up with the Tim Burton movies, and the later, darker 90s Batman stuff... She didn't mean to....

• Locked thread