Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's interesting how flexible Batman is as a character. On one end of the spectrum, you have a caped detective who happens to be working at night, cooperates with the police, trusts his friends, advisers and followers, and honors his murdered parents by making Gotham a safer place for everyone. On the other end, well, you have just another guy on the list of costumed psychos who stalk Gotham's streets, who just happens to have a penchant for torturing petty criminals until they turn into supervillains.

Honestly, I think a good writer should focus on the detective side of batman, and use his dark side to add flavor instead of using it as a crutch. Or, God forbid, as giant sign that says "MATURE CONTENT HERE FOR MATURE COMIC BOOK READERS, LOOK AT ALL THE SEX, DRUGS, VIOLENCE, AND HITLER TITS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Night10194 posted:

That psychologist is completely right, though. Batman IS the reason for his own villains much of the time.

There's actually a quote about that in Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman tells Robin about how he got this guy fired from Arkham's staff due to him scaring the inmates into staying in line. This causes him to end up becoming a supervillain (Lock-Up).

So Robin is just quiet for a moment before quipping "Another fine villain made possible by a grant from the Wayne Foundation." :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I totally forgot about how amazing Batman: The Animated Series was. That show was a high point for cartoons.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
To be fair, that was All Star Batman and Robin by Frank Miller, which is a punchline itself at this point. (Since it spawned "What are you, dense? Are you goddamn retarded? I'm the goddamn Batman!", among a thousand other less famous but equally amazing for the wrong reason lines. It's like the anti-All-Star Superman in so many ways)

e: beaten like Jason Todd :negative:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 5, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

my dad posted:

"MATURE CONTENT HERE FOR MATURE COMIC BOOK READERS, LOOK AT ALL THE SEX, DRUGS, VIOLENCE, AND HITLER TITS"

HEIL TITLER :haw:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I just marathoned this LP so far and I read the thread and the last thing I see is "HEIL TITLER"

And I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, why do people agree to work for the Joker? All those thugs of his would surely have to realise that they've signed up to be punched by Batman, and that's if they're lucky.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiggum posted:

So, why do people agree to work for the Joker? All those thugs of his would surely have to realise that they've signed up to be punched by Batman, and that's if they're lucky.

Henching is a respectable tradition in Gotham, and have you seen the economy these days? Sometimes, you gotta take whatever's offered.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Tiggum posted:

So, why do people agree to work for the Joker? All those thugs of his would surely have to realize that they've signed up to be punched by Batman, and that's if they're lucky.

They are either crazy themselves or he pays really well. Depending on the henchman.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Ah yes, Bruno. No joke, that's her/his name. How do I know? Because she (or he) is in other Batman comics. I'm pretty sure she's in Dark Knight Returns at one point.

She gets taken down by Superman who's moving so fast he's just a blur on page. The sad part is that it's a Miller production so BadGod is taken to extremes and Batman ends up beating Superman in a fistfight (with the entire city's power grid powering his armor and the commie-Ollie-Queen shooting Superman with a kryptonite arrow gas thing...). And doesn't batman almost straight up kill that Mutant leader guy?

Another fantastic episode from Animated Series was "Over the Edge". Batgirl dies within the first five minutes and things spiral out of control from there. Although this was also from the season that gave us a kung fu farmer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

A few reasons:

1. The supervillains are generally the best paying, or at least provide the best opportunities for the chaos that the criminals who are in it for the thrill love.

2. The Joker is so unbelievably psychotic that he'll threaten to kill your family if you don't follow his orders (even the crazy or potentially suicidal ones) to the letter, and he'll probably break their legs anyway just for a laugh. He's the kind of guy who will tell you to murder a random old lady with a trowel and then shoot you in the head without blinking if you hesitate....or he might not. Depends on his mood at the time and whether or not he finds it funny. I have a good feeling that most of the Blackgate guys didn't "agree" as much as they figured that doing the Joker's bidding was the best way to keep from getting themselves killed. At least Batman only cripples you.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

It depends. Some villains treat their guys pretty well apparently. Also I've heard The Joker pays very well, so if you can avoid his more violent outbursts, you'll be rolling in it soon enough.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Calax posted:

She gets taken down by Superman who's moving so fast he's just a blur on page. The sad part is that it's a Miller production so BadGod is taken to extremes and Batman ends up beating Superman in a fistfight (with the entire city's power grid powering his armor and the commie-Ollie-Queen shooting Superman with a kryptonite arrow gas thing...). And doesn't batman almost straight up kill that Mutant leader guy?

"This isn't a mud hole. IT'S AN OPERATING TABLE!"

I thought Ollie shooting Superman and all that actually involved Superman being slightly in on it. One of those "welp he's dead now I have to go my planet needs me no don't look too closely at the body" things.

Ollie and Vic Sage getting in to Crossfire arguments on the television were some of the highlights, I remember that much.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
At least if you're henching for some super villain, you've got a better chance of pulling off a robbery than you would solo once a cape shows up. Plus the stories have to be so much better with the crazy heists. You might have had to kill your sister and gotten your arm broken in 3 places by Batman, but you got to watch Aquaman wrestle a joker gassed mutant shark while in Dimension-Q, on board an alien bioship. How many years would you spend in jail to see that?

Gotham's also full of a lot of hosed up people who actually enjoy working for even more hosed up people.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

citybeatnik posted:

There is some distinctive Morrison hate going on in that post and it is glorious. :allears:

I'm a Morrison fanboy, Let Moore keep writing his smut.

Moore's got questionable views on some things, but he's many miles beyond pretty much anyone who's ever written in comics. Morrison's idea of good writing is to create a direct self-insert who will argue his views with the protagonists.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's actually a quote about that in Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman tells Robin about how he got this guy fired from Arkham's staff due to him scaring the inmates into staying in line. This causes him to end up becoming a supervillain (Lock-Up).

So Robin is just quiet for a moment before quipping "Another fine villain made possible by a grant from the Wayne Foundation." :allears:

And on the other side, they had a whole episode in The Trial pointing out that most of the villains would still exist without Batman. Poison Ivy was still an environmentalist happy to poison everyone, Mad Hatter would still be obsessed with his 'Alice', Riddler would still want revenge against his ex boss and Two Face is legit mentally ill before he got doused in acid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

^^^ Dangit! I was about to look for that one.

The animated series was a hell of a lot better than it ever had any right to be. Esp. considering how stupidly grimdark DC has gone.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
The animated series, and, to a slightly lesser extent, THE BAT-MAAAAAAAAN were indeed a helluva lot better than they should have been, and even their throwaway characters were something to behold (Baby Dahl and Roxy Rocket especially.) But one of the better things about both series is how they changed up the formula for some otherwise incredibly boring characters. Clock-king, for example. The original Clock-king was dull. He was a dude who, due to a mistake by his doctor, thought he was terminally ill, and decided to take it out on the Green Arrow, because... Reasons.

Then TAS came along, with a whole new backstory, and it worked so much better. He was a bureacrat, a lowly office scrub, whose life was ruined by... Some deceptively simple advice he couldn't actually follow because he was seriously OCD about things (Try giving yourself a little me time!) It ruined his life, so he used his keen sense of timing and knowledge of the basic functions of the city to wreck Mayor Hill, and fight Batman to a standstill (How? Because he'd seen Batman fight, and had literally timed his reactions and moves.)

He sadly never turned up again in TAS, but he was one of many comic throwaways both TAS and The Batman dusted off and gave a new lick of paint. Manic's also got it right in that there are several episodes that are incredibly clever, such as The Trial, and, of course, the same episode where Killer Croc's immortal "I THREW A ROCK AT 'IM!!!" line comes from. I really wish they'd had the time to deal with other "boring" characters like Calendar Man. But maybe there's no saving that guy...

So, to change the subject up a little, let's talk The Riddler. For all that a common joke about the Riddler is that his "special power is to Riddle himself into jail faster than anyone", he's a surprisingly deep character, and they actually pick and choose some of the best bits of his history for Arkham Asylum. The father who thought he was a dumbass (sometimes he's represented as being a jock), the obsession with riddles and his own superiority complex... As Scruffy says, he gets more and more frantic as Batman beats him harder at the collectible game, and there's one particularly hilarious line he uses, can't remember if he's used it yet. But so drat many players, I'll bet, suddenly sat up at that one, and said "But how did he know?" :holy:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

He sadly never turned up again in TAS, but he was one of many comic throwaways both TAS and The Batman dusted off and gave a new lick of paint. Manic's also got it right in that there are several episodes that are incredibly clever, such as The Trial, and, of course, the same episode where Killer Croc's immortal "I THREW A ROCK AT 'IM!!!" line comes from. I really wish they'd had the time to deal with other "boring" characters like Calendar Man. But maybe there's no saving that guy...

Clock King shows up in three episodes, actually. "The Clock King", "Time Out of Joint", and "Task Force X" from Justice League Unlimited.

The funny thing about Killer Croc's "Hit 'im with a rock" scheme is that there are a number of times in the Animated Series where Batman is hit with a rock and ends up almost dying or completely helpless. You'll notice that despite Joker giving Killer Croc the blankest stare when he said that, he does end up hitting him with a bag of rocks during the first Justice League series and knocking him out.

Also, Riddler hasn't said THAT line yet. He won't for quite a while.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

JamieTheD posted:

The animated series, and, to a slightly lesser extent, THE BAT-MAAAAAAAAN were indeed a helluva lot better than they should have been, and even their throwaway characters were something to behold (Baby Dahl and Roxy Rocket especially.) But one of the better things about both series is how they changed up the formula for some otherwise incredibly boring characters.

Mr. Freeze is another good example of that.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Mr. Freeze is another good example of that.

Mr.Freeze of the BTAS (and following) cartoons is the best and only Mr.Freeze I will acknowledge. All other incarnations do not exist, I say.

"Believe me, you're the only one who cares."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The Freeze from Animated and Beyond is just so goddamn tragic, it's brilliant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Clock King shows up in three episodes, actually. "The Clock King", "Time Out of Joint", and "Task Force X" from Justice League Unlimited.

The funny thing about Killer Croc's "Hit 'im with a rock" scheme is that there are a number of times in the Animated Series where Batman is hit with a rock and ends up almost dying or completely helpless. You'll notice that despite Joker giving Killer Croc the blankest stare when he said that, he does end up hitting him with a bag of rocks during the first Justice League series and knocking him out.

Also, Riddler hasn't said THAT line yet. He won't for quite a while.

The event Killer Croc describes is actually the closest Batman ever comes to dying in TAS.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, if Croc hadn't been tranqed, that would've been it for Batman.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Clock King's also popped up in Arrow, as an OCD hacker with a dying sister.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Simple plans work best on batman. Too many moving parts and he's got plenty of room to dismantle it. But how's he supposed to outthink being smashed in the skull with a huge loving rock?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Penitentiary/Polsy - Interview Tapes: Zsasz 1/2/3/4/5, Chronicle of Arkham 11

Character bios updated: Poison Ivy, Clayface, Ventriloquist, Calendar Man, Two-Face, Mister Freeze

Combat: Shock and Awe/Polsy

Got a lot of characters showing up in this one. I'm noticing that I'm not getting the trophies that unlock challenge rooms before they'd be nice to have, so I'm probably going to start running through the challenges I've missed so far as extra videos. Still getting all the trophies! Just would like to have all the challenge rooms done before I hit the end of the game.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Night10194 posted:

Simple plans work best on batman. Too many moving parts and he's got plenty of room to dismantle it. But how's he supposed to outthink being smashed in the skull with a huge loving rock?

60's Batman would have something on his utility belt for just such an occurrence :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Casualty posted:

60's Batman would have something on his utility belt for just such an occurrence :colbert:

Thank goodness for the "Bat Big Rock Repellent" old chum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I never noticed it was Zsasz in that challenge room before. Sadly, there's another cool developer easter egg you passed by in that episode- you might be planning to cover it later, so I'll wait to talk about it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I never noticed it was Zsasz in that challenge room before. Sadly, there's another cool developer easter egg you passed by in that episode- you might be planning to cover it later, so I'll wait to talk about it.

Planning on covering that too. The main reason I didn't get that and the other thing in that room is that I guess I was looking for an excuse to come back here later because of "hunting for things". It's not like we'll never be back there anyway so I could have planned it better but between you and me, I think I was a bit drunk while recording. And while doing audio. And right now.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Whenever I see Poison Ivy's outfit, all I can think of is this:

Not the best designed character in the game, is what I'm saying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I never understood why Batman didn't just agree to help Ivy's plants. He's already planning to stop Joker's TITAN scheme as it is. Considering that so many of his supervillains are running free, does he really need to antagonize one of the few that's still locked up?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Because about half the time the plants Ivy are talking about are dangerous to everyone other than her. In truth, in these games, Batman has issues with just taking the nicer action that would solve things quicker, likely because he mostly relies on fear.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grandalt posted:

Because about half the time the plants Ivy are talking about are dangerous to everyone other than her. In truth, in these games, Batman has issues with just taking the nicer action that would solve things quicker, likely because he mostly relies on fear.

I've always liked it when that's part of the story, though. Batman is, as we've beaten to death a bit, a well intentioned and deeply scarred person trying to do the right thing with the wrong tools. Like the bit in Mask of the Red Hood where Joker tells him he knows who he is, and 'You're just a scared kid in a playsuit calling for mommy.'

Really got to the heart of things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best thing about the "Harley Quinn Boss Fight" is that you can stun the goons and force them to stay on the floor, forcing them to get electrified.

Scruffy's also shown off the fact that you can throw goons into the bottomless pits that kill Batman if you fall into them, too!

I really love how this game encourages sadism. Really makes me feel like Batman. :unsmigghh:

Night10194 posted:

Like the bit in Mask of the Red Hood where Joker tells him he knows who he is, and 'You're just a scared kid in a playsuit calling for mommy.'

Really got to the heart of things.

You're thinking of Return of the Joker. Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood are different movies involving Joker.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 6, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, right. I've only seen all of Mask of the Phantasm (And it's loving great).

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think you get Gordon if you "tap" on the glass a few times. And he does look interesting in detective mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You can't "tap" on the glass. He changes to Gordon when you rotate the camera off of him for a moment.

As an added note, the doctor that Zsasz broke out to kill was rescued by Batman in the prequel comic to this game. She also appears in-game and I think we've seen her already at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As an added note, the doctor that Zsasz broke out to kill was rescued by Batman in the prequel comic to this game. She also appears in-game and I think we've seen her already at this point.

That's a big relief. Enough of these poor people get murdered as it is.

• Locked thread