Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, this is the comic where Joker has sex with a woman, then kills her and has his (and this isn't a joke) shirtless henchwoman wearing Nazi swastikas on her bare chest clean up the mess.

Ah yes, Bruno. No joke, that's her/his name. How do I know? Because she (or he) is in other Batman comics. I'm pretty sure she's in Dark Knight Returns at one point.

Suffice to say, terrible in DC is by no means a new thing. But more about AA, which is definitely my favourite in the series (I would have said City, but I was very disappointed in the DLC and the thugs... I haven't played Origins yet, and am vaguely optimistic about Knight.) One thing I definitely like about Asylum is that very little is explicitly a surprise. There's nearly always some form of tell in there that all is not as it seems, from the coughing, to some Riddler funtimes that's actually visible before he makes his appearance (even before scruffy sees it), and even in certain sounds, voices, and things said (I'm not going to say anymore on that, because spoilers)

My favourite had to be the big-goons, who have a toxic green glow in places that instantly made me say "Awwww, crap... He's working with Bane on this one?" Obviously, that ended up to be not-quite-right... But I was on the right track.

As to the designs, I actually like them. Killer Croc has always been monstrous to one degree or another, Bane has often been a Rob Liefeld poster-child, and the grungy look to the villains gives me the warm fuzzies, because I grew up with the Tim Burton movies, and the later, darker 90s Batman stuff... She didn't mean to....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

The animated series, and, to a slightly lesser extent, THE BAT-MAAAAAAAAN were indeed a helluva lot better than they should have been, and even their throwaway characters were something to behold (Baby Dahl and Roxy Rocket especially.) But one of the better things about both series is how they changed up the formula for some otherwise incredibly boring characters. Clock-king, for example. The original Clock-king was dull. He was a dude who, due to a mistake by his doctor, thought he was terminally ill, and decided to take it out on the Green Arrow, because... Reasons.

Then TAS came along, with a whole new backstory, and it worked so much better. He was a bureacrat, a lowly office scrub, whose life was ruined by... Some deceptively simple advice he couldn't actually follow because he was seriously OCD about things (Try giving yourself a little me time!) It ruined his life, so he used his keen sense of timing and knowledge of the basic functions of the city to wreck Mayor Hill, and fight Batman to a standstill (How? Because he'd seen Batman fight, and had literally timed his reactions and moves.)

He sadly never turned up again in TAS, but he was one of many comic throwaways both TAS and The Batman dusted off and gave a new lick of paint. Manic's also got it right in that there are several episodes that are incredibly clever, such as The Trial, and, of course, the same episode where Killer Croc's immortal "I THREW A ROCK AT 'IM!!!" line comes from. I really wish they'd had the time to deal with other "boring" characters like Calendar Man. But maybe there's no saving that guy...

So, to change the subject up a little, let's talk The Riddler. For all that a common joke about the Riddler is that his "special power is to Riddle himself into jail faster than anyone", he's a surprisingly deep character, and they actually pick and choose some of the best bits of his history for Arkham Asylum. The father who thought he was a dumbass (sometimes he's represented as being a jock), the obsession with riddles and his own superiority complex... As Scruffy says, he gets more and more frantic as Batman beats him harder at the collectible game, and there's one particularly hilarious line he uses, can't remember if he's used it yet. But so drat many players, I'll bet, suddenly sat up at that one, and said "But how did he know?" :holy:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Smart Car posted:

The freeze actually legit scared me the first time I played the game because I was having issues with my graphics card at the time and I thought it actually broke.

Yeah, I genuinely thought the game broke the first time, for much the same reason (PC Troubles). When I realised what was going on, I just paused the game and clapped.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

The Casualty posted:

Psycho Mantis is definitely the first time I can remember being cognizant of it, but I'd say the first instances of it actually happening in video games probably can be traced back to the old 2d graphical adventure era, where choosing certain actions would cause the narration of the game to question or chastize the player.

Well, one could argue text adventures did it first, but yeah, the first one I remember was Leisure Suit Larry, although, after looking it up, there's a lot of games that do this, including some I didn't realise had 4th-wall demolishing moments (like Morrowind and Quest for Glory)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Worth mentioning: GOTY versions of Arkham Asylum and City are on Steam sale this weekend for $5 each. Arkham Origins is at $7.50, the season pass for all DLC is $5 on top of that.

Got Origins, and I'm actually quite happy with it. The fights take a lot more (because dudes don't hang back as much anymore), and some of the bosses are pretty much "Were you actually paying attention?" (Deathstroke killed me two or three times, so that's a "I forgot, OKAY?!?"), but the detective mode segments are a definite improvement!

As to the Killer Croc section in Asylum, I also quite liked it. It really gets across that if there's one thing Bats doesn't wanna do, it's fight Croc in his home element (with some rare exceptions.) Still, it's always amusing to see the different depictions of Croc, and it's hard to pick my favourite... The grim and gritty cannibalistic monster of this game, Gotham Knight, and some DC storylines? The animated universe's misanthropic warty baboon? The version from THE BAT-MAAAAAN where he's a Cajun mutant? No really, I actually liked that one, bad homespun analogies and all!

No, there's only one boss in this game I seriously dislike. We'll talk about it when we get to it.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 19, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

By the way Scruffy, I finally managed to 100% this game (ie defeat the Riddler) thanks to this LP, so thanks a bundle. It is sort of funny that he;s all "How are you DOING this?" :gonk: when he's leaving out maps for you in plain sight every area.

That's half the fun of the Riddler: Just as he's compelled to set these deathtrap riddles out (and they're nearly always deathtraps), he's also compelled to give away the solution. Thing is, he's nearly always portrayed as being completely unaware of that second bit, which is why a common joke about the Riddler is that his power is to riddle himself into jail faster than any other DC villain. He's actually one of my favourites, mainly because, like the Joker, nearly everyone who's acted his role has shown off at least one core aspect. My take on this:

Frank Gorshin - Creepiness and puzzle obsession.
Jim Carrey (Forever) - Melodrama, psychosis, arrogance.
Robert Englund - Psychosis, puzzle obsession, arrogance, tragedy.
John Glover - Intelligence, arrogance, psychosis, puzzle obsession, tragedy.

Why tragedy for the two Animated Series actors? Because in both The Batman and Batman: TAS, it's made clear that, for all his intelligence, the Riddler has been outsmarted and betrayed by people he was actually quite fond of. Of course, his reaction when he finds out is about as unpleasant as you'd expect.

As far as Arkham Asylum goes, my favourite depictions are the Riddler, Joker, Killer Croc, and Scarecrow. I've disliked Ivy's depiction pretty much every time she's appeared in the series so far.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

"They've done nothing to you!" yelled immediately after two spores blasted you in the face was just delightful.

This game has such lovely loving boss fights. Ivy's is the worst one and her voice acting only makes it more painful.

I'll definitely agree Ivy is the worst boss fight (in the entire series, no less!), and, as you say, the VA makes me wince (I wondered why I'd forgotten the VA for this fight, and now I know.)

..But there are still some boss fights that I actually really enjoy. Scarecrow, for example. Killer Croc is technically a puzzle boss, verging on environmental hazard... Bane was disappointing, but hell, Bane seems to disappoint more often than not (The only other Batman villain who seems to have a shittier time post intro story is Hush, afaik... And yes, I am aware half the reason Bane sucks is because of the writing, not the character)

But very few villains are actually boss fights, and I'm actually okay with that.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that everyone hates about the Arkham version of Ivy? I never found her all that great, to be honest, but I never found her too different from most characterized mediums.

For me, it's partly that it's an incredibly tedious section, and partly the knowledge that they can do more than "HURR DURR SEXY AND PLANTS"... But they never do. Just like Harley Quinn, a good writer's stories make the rest seem all the more terrible, and in these better stories? Ivy is an actual character, not a two-dimensional pinup villain. And, honestly? That's pretty much all she is, in this game and City. Herp Derp: Sexy and Plants.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, that was pretty darn good, thanks, Jenner, for bein' in that video and bein' cool, and thanks to Scruffy for doin' that. :D

And Quincy Sharp being the Spirit of Arkham. It was fairly obvious, but drat if it didn't pull me in, both in this game (where you find out), and the next (where his plans have come to fruition, and Fun happens). This, in essence, is one of the things I like about the Arkham series: It's got a multi-layered plot, and while their characterisation isn't always great (Poison Ivy and Bane being the worst examples), it's got enough good writing that I tend to only slightly go "Ugggghh..." at the rest.

And a party next too, hosted by Joker. Oh, what fun we shall have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

As regards the ending, there's actually three, and it's apparently random which one you get. The three arms which reach out of the water belong to Killer Croc (the one most people see), Scarecrow, and Bane. Despite internet discussions on the matter, this doesn't seem to have any bearing on the rest of the series, just a fun thing that happens.

It's not amazingly interesting, but you can find all three Here

• Locked thread