Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

LifeSizePotato posted:

i'm going through it for the first time right now

WTF? 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Hayburner posted:

there are a lot of great details in the show, like in one episode they're in Jellineck's art class and hanging around the room are lovely paper blocks with "CUBISM" written on them in black marker. one of them had a crude drawing of Cuba and a cigar. good poo poo.

or the episode where jerri is taking care of a baby and she tries to arrange a hot love session at a motel with the red-headed chick. jerri shows her the sexy red underwear she got for her to wear and it still has the security tag on it

and i always pay attention to what's written on mr. noblet's blackboard.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i know, i know. what i'm saying with this thread is that maybe if goons talked about the show a bit more, i'd have watched it sooner

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Boywhiz88 posted:

what about if i'm totally into early Stephen Colbert because wow, he was dreamy.

Earwicker posted:

it was a good show I especially appreciate the dance parties at the end of every episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 12, 2014

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Was honestly expecting another aatrek thread.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I have not watched the show but now I might OP, thank you for being the change you want to see in the forums :thumbsup:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I enjoyed the episode about jerri having to out her friend as a retard.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I enjoyed the episode about jerri having to out her friend as a retard.

which had this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mprjD74T90

the handwave when she says "twat" kills me

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Shut up about Strangers with Candy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Someone around here has a Principal Blackman avatar. I hope he finds this thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The show had some pretty clever poo poo in the background at times. And of course, it nailed the bullshit of after-school specials to a T.

The character of Jerri Blank is based off a woman named Florrie Fisher. I think the complete DVD set for SwC even includes that video.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Inevitable posted:

haters gonna hate

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mega64 posted:

And of course, it nailed the bullshit of after-school specials to a T.

i think that might be why it never got super huge. it was funny but really it's a parody of a type of show that no one ever intentionally watched

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
Amy Sedaris is a loving treasure. She's way funnier than her brother and even though she's like 50 years old she's hot.

I don't care why goons don't talk about Strangers With Candy, just like I don't care about animes or other inconsequential minutiae that goons actually do obsess over.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

tiananman posted:

I don't care why goons don't talk about Strangers With Candy, just like I don't care about animes or other inconsequential minutiae that goons actually do obsess over.

wow I heard there existed actual humans on these forums, but I never really believed it until now :coolfish:

Poz Party Pooper
Feb 16, 2014

I want your spermies

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
No dessert, Jerri. Don't touch the dog. Don't rub your feces on the lampshade.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

tiananman posted:

I DON'T CARE THAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT THING IN THREAD ABOUT THING ON FORUMS FOR TALKING ABOUT THINGS.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Strangers with Candy was a great show and Amy Sedaris replacing Kristen Schaal on The Heart, She Holler was one of the best decisions ever

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I like the pole and the hole..and right now, I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i have to confess that i don't really "get" the dad. like, it's funny how he apparently manages to interact with everyone and whatnot, but what were they making fun of with him? is it just surreal for surreality's sake?

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
GEOFFERY!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I never watched it because it was popular with the "ironic" kids who were into Michael ian black type garbage

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FogHelmut posted:

I never watched it because it was popular with the "ironic" kids who were into Michael ian black type garbage

Well that's fair, because while I never watched Strangers with Candy, I did watch a couple episodes of Stella and that show was hot loving garbage.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Can't get past the racism. My white friends all think it's funny though so take that as you will.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
It's a really funny show. Much better than curb your enthusiasm.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Used to quote this show in high school and no one got the references

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFACWOfhot4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV_vjq-KPus

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 14, 2014

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'll talk about it!!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

i have to confess that i don't really "get" the dad. like, it's funny how he apparently manages to interact with everyone and whatnot, but what were they making fun of with him? is it just surreal for surreality's sake?

It was a sort of parody of the useless or absent fathers in your average after-school special back in the day. The entire show was designed to be a parody of both those 70s after-school specials and The Trip Back PSA.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
There was a time when Strangers with candy came on and then like that short lived 'Upright citizens brigade' came on. Dynamite combo. I'm going to go watch strangers with candy right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inevitable posted:

Boy howdy are you in the wrong place chief.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I learned to not be racist thanks to this show.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I highly recommend watching the DVDs with the cast commentary turned on. Colbert and co go over all the behind the scenes stuff and it's great.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

bollig posted:

There was a time when Strangers with candy came on and then like that short lived 'Upright citizens brigade' came on. Dynamite combo.
UCB taught me about the holy trinity of Jesus ( spaghetti, vomit, fecal )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bollig posted:

There was a time when Strangers with candy came on and then like that short lived 'Upright citizens brigade' came on. Dynamite combo. I'm going to go watch strangers with candy right now.
I love both show a whole lot, but I'd even give the edge to UCB. Some of the best skits this side of Mr. Show.
Both shows also showed that hilarious women named Amy can hold their own among the boys.

• Locked thread