Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

quote:

* Halo 4 lasted a whole two entire months in the Top 3 of the Xbox Live activity chart. Halo 3 didn't fall out of the Top 3 until Halo Reach released - 3 years after it's release. Halo Reach didn't fall out of the Top 3 until 343's title update for the game after they took over the game, 12 months after release.

* Roughly a year after release, Halo 3 had a 1.1 million peak population day. Reach had a 900,000 peak population day after the same amount of time. Halo 4 clocks in at 20,000 peak for it's annual checkup.

I used to be a huge Halo fanboy, you have to accept reality and learn to let it go unless watching people desperately champion a franchise in decline amuses you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was actually in the hospital at the time when a friend jokingly told me I had to get better before November for Halo 2, if someone had told me to get better to play Halo 4 with them I would have strangled myself with the IV after writing a strongly worded letter to said individual

But no, seriously feel better Bonerfarts!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Coag owned and I'm glad it'll be back to irritate lame people just like it did back in the day

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The idea of the Spartans within the fiction is basically meaningless now that they can be random spacebros

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Make the xbone like 100 dollars and I'll buy that

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Here's a theory to think on as you play through 1-4 on tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklFMcZ0c6s

Just reboot the franchise or give up any pretense that people still care what the story is and make multiplayer expansions only from now on because jesus gently caress, was that ever a pile of uninteresting convoluted bullshit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Fanboys will always overreact but there is literally no reason to be anything but highly skeptical of any addition or change 343 makes, even if another developer proves it's theoretically possible to pull it off

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Halo 4 was fun you guys, quit being such nancy's

Then how come everybody stopped playing it :colbert:

a cop posted:

Lmao. Of course the MCC is good, we've already played all the good games in it. I really want to get an xbone exclusively for the MCC but it'll probably be a bit before I can find one for $200-$250 :sigh:

(I'll buy Halo 5 when it's like 10 bux)

343 are really lovely devs. That's already been proven. Everyone knows halo 5 is gonna suck.

Yeah the nostalgia really keeps pulling at me like I know they want it to (The got loving Steve Vai AGAIN ahahah) but I can't justify buying a lovely console for a 10 year old game for the asking price, the quality just isn't there anymore and it's not like Destiny sucks any less so :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I certainly can't fault him for responding the mostly calm way he has nor would I really expect anything different. What's he supposed to do? Come on here and be like "lol guys sorry we kinda suck at Halo vOv"

e: or NDA stuff, maybe he just wants to tell us all to gently caress off and die I don't know

But otherwise I think he knows to expect some ribbing because we're assholes and the game he worked on was a lousy entry in a series that was once guaranteed good times. I don't want him to lose his job because come on we all gots to get paid, and he's not really hurting anybody.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

kirbyabc posted:

this thread is so negative! try and focus on the good times like when that bonerfarts guy tried to buy mdma off the forums to cure his depression coz he couldnt figure out how to get drugs at college

edit: anyone want to get us started on some lore chat?

First of all I don't fully trust anyone who hasn't tried to buy drugs off the forums

Secondly Master Chief is now the reincarnation of some ancient human guy you have to read a bunch of novels to know about and also humans are super smart strong and awesome and we make the alien dino guys run scared now even though our interstellar empire was reduced to a handful of non-glassed colony worlds the enemy couldn't be bothered with just a few years prior

And uhh your best buddy just died so now Chief will probably be a little emo, possibly wearing a burlap sack.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I found this on an old SD card and this was on it for some reason

Memories of better times

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey Vin Diesel how long has MCC's online multiplayer been broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYtROwmk54

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Reach was fun until 343 mangled it with their title update, but the maps were certainly unremarkable overall.

I'll be curious to see how many bones the MCC moves if these issues keep up

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

The removal of BR and the inconsistent DMR was the worst part about Reach.

I ended up using the needler rifle because that seemed more reliable. gently caress everything about headshots in reach.

It's been so long since I've played it's hard to remember all the specifics but I distinctly recall the game becoming all about the DMR pretty much to the exclusion of everything else in the TU playlists, which sucked and reminded me of how Halo 3 eventually became all about the BR to the point where some maps were practically unplayable unless you planned to crouch near a box and try to pick off anyone bold enough to poke their head up on the other side for the whole match (I'm looking at you, Standoff).

I don't remember those times except for that they were typically boring, I do remember the time in Halo 2 somebody made a combined explosion that launched a tank halfway across coag, crazy poo poo like that.

Oh hey is proximity voice back? The best is when you'd hear people get cut off and then the spartan death scream momentarily as they're killed. "Oh poo poo guys they're in the back of the ba-*chk*HURRRGH"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

I thought this was halo 4

Yeah I definitely remember hearing the same excuses before Halo 4 came out. It's clear by now that for whatever reasons, 343 can't make quality Halo games and the series is probably doomed to progressively shittier releases on a doomed platform until it finally dies or gets sold.

The Halo 5 video looks fun, but then so did the Halo 4 videos and that ended up playing like dogshit.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

I've often felt that people in here are too hard on you, but what an rear end in a top hat you are. I can't imagine this is what 343 wants you doing when you engage with their community.

Yeah I sort of regret what I said about not wanting him to lose his job, now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
343 is a lovely dev that ruined a fun game series and people who currently work for that dev should and will be made fun of for their association, this isn't hard

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

who said anything about not liking Halo? I had fun with them playing on the original Xbox, but I don't think they hold up that well today, and 343 seem to be generally incompetent at times, so it's fun to watch. sorry I didn't realise this was the hug box.

I loved Halo and even kept up with the books up until The Cole Protocol which I could never be bothered to finish. Compared to Bungie, 343's handling of the series has been a total joke. I admit, it is pretty funny how the only people that still like Halo are sounding more and more unhinged as it becomes increasingly difficult to defend the franchise or it's terrible custodians

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you just want to do single player, then you can probably pick up all the Halo games for the 360 for about as much or cheaper and without all the bugs and glitches and the lovely console.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

Dual wielding SMGs in Halo 3 was fun. Sorry if that's not pro enough.

Mowing down some xXXxBR-trpl-SnIpE-pr0xXXx loser with "scrub" weapons that way was more satisfying than any kill I ever got in Halo 4.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

That was quite the dropoff on that chart.

Most people bought it because of the well earned reputation the previous games had. Between Halo 4's dropoff, MCC's joke of a launch and the bone bonering I wonder if the hype machine will still be as effective for Halo 5? The reaction to dweebs like Mick here is pretty much the same everywhere these days.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Why did this guy hate Master Chief so much, again?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
343's Halo lore is like something a 10 year old kid would come up with on a rainy saturday afternoon during a 70's Battlestar Galactica marathon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
MickRaider, now hopelessly addicted to Forge, resorts to whoring himself out on craigslist for halos

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Oh okay Tighclops :)

I admit it, playing your terrible maps over and over again drove me to the bottle. But I'm better now and you can get help too! Just say no to lovely games/devs/consoles.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

Half past never.

I think this whole MCC debacle has been a ploy to sabotage classic halo MP so that when Halo 5 releases, they aren't immediately embarrassed because everyone drops Halo 5 to stick with Halo 2 and Halo 3 MP. Now, when Halo 5 comes out, everyone will shout praises to Allah because the matchmaking actually works, despite almost 100% likelyhood of Halo 5 MP being completely awful from a gameplay standpoint.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :tinfoil:

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity or incompetence.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Now that halo is dead or dying, what shooter is the next best thing?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Organs posted:

well cod already offers a functioning version of the 343 halo experience. why wait for halo 5 when advanced warfare offers the exact same game today, and from a competent developer?

if you want something more like bungie's halo then you might as well play destiny. the actual core gameplay is unmistakably halo but with enough new stuff to feel like a natural evolution. it's not perfect (lacking content and the whole loot thing sucks imo) but the halo dna is unmistakable, it feels and plays just like it

titanfall is a fresh take on first person shooters and is really fun to play. it's only let down by a lack of content and modes tbh, which is one of the main problems with destiny as well. i think that when destiny 2 and titanfall 2 come out, those two will be the kings of the genre much like cod and halo used to be, and funnily enough they're by the same developers

I was gonna say, Destiny looks like Halo with all the fun explodey crazy fun taken out and an MMO grind added and I don't think there's anyone left playing Titanfall so I guess I'll wait a year and see what the sequels are like.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought that statistically, most people don't even finish the campaigns?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
At this point, I'm just morbidly interested in seeing how bad it can get. MCC's calamities have been more entertaining than the whole of Halo 4's campaign and related media.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The only thing more entertaining than all the game's fuckups are the poor, equally broken souls trying to defend it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Halo has been hated on this forum since ALWAYS

Except that now it's mostly deserved instead of just some goons loudly making GBS threads on what's popular

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Yeah, uh you've pretty much nailed down the most common shitpost defense used in the Halo: Reach megathread

Man I don't miss that lovely thread, to this day there are probably still poor goons convinced halo reach is the worst in the series and never played it. shame, that was great game. only took the odd goon three years or so to come around to it

Reach fixed most of what eventually came to suck about Halo 3 and was the best Halo multiplayer. Then 343 came in and cocked everything up and it's been a steady stream of shiny poo poo ever since.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

I'm the anti-poo poo poster who poo poo posts poo poo posts with poo poo posts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The loss of proximity chat is one of the reasons why I stopped playing, being able to interact with the people you're actually fighting is paramount to a fun experience

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I can't verbally abuse the rancid little poo poo who insists on calling everyone a human being a full 5 years before his balls will drop, well then what the hell am I paying for

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with playing a video game competitively

There's something wrong with playing a video game competitively and expecting your exacting sperginess to be respected by the vast majority of people that just want a fun thing to do with friends, let alone catered to by the developers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Oid posted:

You can't just lump in all the old players with the competitive crowd. I've been playing Halo since the first one, and I've played every single FPS Halo.

I'm not a fan of the competitive crowd at all

The competitive crowd's utter lack of self awareness has been a staple since Halo was first played online, all of their complaints seem to be centered around removing or marginalizing any way to kill another player that isn't just picking people off with whatever the most accurate common weapon in the game is (BR, DMR, etc). I don't understand why these people choose to fixate on Halo rather than some other more appropriate shooters as their peers often do, but I'm convinced that devs listening to these loudmouths has only done damage to the franchise over the years, because that kind of wankery is not why most people got into these games.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't blame anybody for picking up a Halo game blind in 2014 and expecting it to work as advertised.

If they're still pulling that poo poo in 2015 and beyond then it's on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Therefore capitalism is a poo poo system and the Innies were right to fight for their independence and the UNSC were amoral monsters for creating the Spartans to stomp them

Halo could be relevant again by using this lore as a springboard for a game with a story that boldly examines the franchise's own (and the industry as a whole) self immolation but that's in the alternate universe and we're in the darkest timeline

• Locked thread