Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Looks like Halo 3 and 4 are getting some Shader/Lighting/Sound/etc. upgrades too!:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/16/6023915/how-halo-the-master-chief-collection-is-improving-on-more-recent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Can't believe this comes out in just under a week. Still have SO, D4 and FH2 to finish :smith:

Was never a big fan of the multiplayer in the Halo games as I was a FPS KB+M master race only player back then, so it will be good to see what all the fuss is about!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Looks better than the MLG stuff they used to do. Going the League of Legends route is the right choice imo, do that poo poo yourself.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
It's okay guys

Nerds getting out of control over 5 seconds of video as usual. The people in the thread with the best gaming console will be able to tell you first hand what it's like in 6 weeks anyway, not long now! :v:

I'll give MCC a twitch stream tonight early as well if anyones interested? It unlocks for me in like 14 hours.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Ok no flinching?!

Yeah not sure what he means by that, no point in really speculating as we will see it live in <24 hours. I hear there's backwards boosting too

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Only 2 hours into Halo 1 and I feel my purchase is already justified lol. Can't wait to bash through all 4 of them although I never played 4 so I'm ready to be disappointed.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So this comes out tomorrow, is there a good way for Goons to play together now? I'm also buying an Xbox One tomorrow so I have no idea if the system has a good method for finding each other.

There's a gamertag list in the xbone general thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AiKfqpS0mT-qdGVhdE1MbVlvWmNiZDBlSnh6RnVzb1E

Add yourself via this link

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DqPtnLXuzyxPMbgfNR2fvyuQ8K-YR_2QXDBjPDURLwY/viewform

It's a bit old though, so it might be worth just posting your GT to the thread as well

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Halo 1 (one) is way harder than I remember. Died so much :smith:

Not sure I got the end cinematic for finishing it either, but my menu progress says 10/10.

Yeah MP launch has gone down the shitter it seems, looks to be on 343's side:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

quote:

Xbox members, are you having a tough time matchmaking in Halo: The Master Chief Collection? As you read this message, we’re working with our external partner to correct this issue right away. We appreciate your patience in the meantime! We’ll update you again when we have more information.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Organs posted:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/we-played-the-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-and?watch

hell yeah, you think that's advanced warfare?? wrong bitch! it's halo! :D loving the thruster packs and ground slams. 343 definitely has the right idea by slapping the halo skin over the latest cod game, it worked great for halo 4 and it will work great here. this franchise is in good hands :)

- No Perks
- No Killstreaks
- No ordinances
- No ADS
- Low grav
- Jump boosters
- Location based deathmatch (timing of weapon spawns, etc.)
- High TTK

It's nothing like CoD. 1/10 for trying though :v: Destiny MP is what Bungie had in mind and it's the worst thing ever, so I'm glad 343 are on this!

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 11, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

ShineDog posted:

If theres no penalty for hipfire and no slowdown for ADS it's pretty much nothing more than a mild camera zoom, right? CoD and most other games functionally change how the gun and your character operate while the irons are up.

It's pretty much changing the fov with an animation :v: and you get returned to default view if you get shot. Pretty much all the haters in this thread are known trolls though, Fame Douglas literally has 9Gb (or was it 15Gb?) of ram in his gaming PC.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

Playing through the single player, there is NO loving way Halo 1 and 2 Looked this bad before. It's jaw dropping.

Yeah I honestly don't remember there being so many enemies as well and being able to get 1 shot by things. I also don't remember having to actively avoid some fights (final stand) because there are too many enemies? I guess I was playing 2/4 player split screen back then so it was probably a heap easier.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Seems to just be Xbox Live making GBS threads itself, although I wonder if there's something weird about the sheer number of achievements in this game.

Yeah it's probably XBL, but if it's still slow after they've fixed the issues, people have had luck changing their DNS over to google instead of what their lovely ISP uses.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904073

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Please tell me I'm retarded and there's a way to match-make into the coop stuff.

co-op is custom games only.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

arrgh why is there still no deal like buy a xbone get free mcc or something? i want this so bad but im too much of a cheap bastard to pay absolute retail for the console.

I would have suggested getting the Sunset Overdrive bundle since that game is sweet as well, but it's pretty much sold out everywhere:smith: CoD and Unity are poo poo so you're stuck there bundle wise. Maybe check out Target or the MS store or something for a deal. Alternatively some Halo sperg will sell his console in protest because the MP wasn't working in the first 24 hours of it being released so you might be able to snatch up a cheap 2nd hand one :v:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i've been looking for about 2 weeks, haven't seen anything good. i think there was a free 12 month xbl somewhere for a day, but i missed that. there are some decent deals coming on black friday, but all the ones i've seen i'm ineligible for because i'll be at work thursday night. don't wanna wait that long anyway. i'll prolly give in sometime this week, get the unity bundle and sell the game codes on ebay to lessen the cost.

With the way unity is reviewing/performing, you're way better off getting the CoD bundle :v: you also get a cooler controller too!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
From 343:

quote:

Description: We are aware of the issues players have been experiencing with matchmaking and we’re working around the clock, alongside the Xbox Live team, to improve the situation. We have deployed an update that has shown some improvement, and we continue to optimize the experience. The update deployed to matchmaking was done on the server side and does not require an extra download to your Xbox One. This is our top priority and will keep everyone updated regularly as we deploy continued improvements.

In the meantime, if you do not find a match after five minutes of searching, please quit the search and re-enter Matchmaking by searching again. This will reset the process and increase the likelihood of finding a match.

Just keep re-entering matchmaking, should set you up with some MP action!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I was just thinking someone should do a Halo LFG like the Destiny one so people can find some Halo CE games or a campaign partner. Looks like the Internet moves fast!

http://www.halolfg.com/

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...8ab188568/posts

quote:

Since the launch of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, we've received several, well deserved, complaints related to slow matchmaking and other issues. From everyone at 343 Industries, we are truly sorry and feel your frustration. You deserve better and we are working day and night to find solutions as quickly as possible, with our first priority focused on matchmaking improvements.

Tomorrow morning (Wednesday morning Pacific Time) we plan to roll out a number of server updates to help improve matchmaking. Again, these are server-side fixes, so you won't need to take a content update or reboot your console; you should see the effects right away.

In addition, we are targeting another release for this weekend, which will address a number of other community priorities. An unrelated issue with services is also causing achievements to not unlock correctly, and we realize this just makes it all feel a bit worse

Looks like just a little bit longer to get your fix...

MrBond posted:

Are these games using dedicated servers or not? If so, I could understand why that part might be broken because that'd be new. If not, then I don't understand how the halo 2,3,4 p2p didn't port over cleanly :\ Can't even remember if Halo 1 PC had dedicated servers.

Yeah they are, there's been messages about "changing host", etc. but that is just who is the leader of the game (can kick people, etc.). Silly wording on their part.

Customs are P2P though, which is why they're working atm.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 12, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

vulvamancer posted:

Reading this thread has been good for me. I had basically committed to getting the PS4 as my next gen, even though I really dislike PS controllers and I'm a big halo fan. I just couldn't countenance Microsoft's original "you don't own your games" plan and didn't want to reward them even after they'd changed it. Seeing commercials for this collection made me doubt my choice but with how big of a gently caress up this game appears to be I feel a little better about my plan.

:laffo:

You bought something you don't like or enjoy to protest against another big corporations plan that they never went through with anyway?

Just buy the machine(s) your friends have with the games you like and have some fun

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 12, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
You guys know the name for a server can also be "host" e.g. "server hosting", hth.

hahaha nice!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

muddream posted:

yeah, it does...but couldn't that be down to microsoft servers making GBS threads themselves in general these last 2 days, thus the game defaulting to p2p?

It does look like the game does say at the bottom if it's dedicated server or host. Looks like 343 have put in a backup solution in the event of an issue with the :smithcloud:, very smart of them

Probably based on your location too, as Azure isn't in all locations across the globe, since you'd be better off playing p2p instead of the nearst azure server being 300ms+ away

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 12, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Yeah it patches you to the latest version of the game before installing the base content, which is really good for most games but with the 15Gb patch for Halo it's generally not a suitable option :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

Sunset Overdrive. D4. Dead Rising 3.

Forza 5 / Horizon 2 if you're into racing games. Titanfall / Ryse if you don't have a PC. Killer Instinct if you like fighters

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Pretty sure it's cheap as poo poo now. It's worth a playthough once. Although maybe wait until the December GwG offering cause it might actually be Ryse :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

If I don't care about multiplayer and I've never played any of the Halo games, is this worth getting for the single-player experience? Is that part working right now or is it broken like the multiplayer?

I have not had any issues playing Halo CE or H2A single player as of yet (aside from dying like a newb). I'm probably one of the lucky ones based on what I've seen on reddit/neogaf/etc. That or the time old "the unhappy minority always make the most noise".

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Carnaticum posted:

And I was wondering, since the MCC is out and people seem to be playing Halo 2 again, does anybody miss dual wielding? I liked in 2 and 3, kind of missed it in 4. Do we know if it will be back in 5?

I honestly completely forgot about the dual wielding weapons in Halo 2 until I started playing it. It was an "oh yeah cool" moment and I dual wielded for a bit, but yeah I like my grenades :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Just wait on this game. If they manage to unfuck it, it'll be fun, but with each passing day it feels like that's becoming less likely. I'll probably give up hope myself if the (now delayed) patch doesn't make it what it should have been at launch.

Yeah I'm riding my hopes on this too. I stopped playing the H2A campaign because I ran into the save bug. If it's still hosed then I'll be asking for a refund.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

:lol:

Why did they not do an open beta weekend or something? :psyduck: This is silly now.

The most recent patch brought the game from Alpha into Beta :v: we're beta testing it now.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

renderful posted:

The H5 mid-air melee pounds look fun as hell. I always wanted Unreal Championship 2(most disappointing online game I've purchased) to be good, so seeing more melee in FPS is good. I should probably build a Titan in Destiny.

Titan Melee is only used sparingly up until the raid, where it isn't used at all. Shoulder charge is fun in PvP though :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

AlmightyBob posted:

Good idea to start work on another game as an apology before fixing the game you're apologizing for. Also can't wait for ODST to be a hilarious gently caress up as well.

Yes because there aren't multiple teams in 343...

Someones mad that people are enjoying their xbox ones, why would you want any game release to be hosed up? You should probably seek some mental help

ODST is good news and some goodwill returned for the launch fuckup that was MCC.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 20, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
edit: wrong thread

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 31, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Apparently the new version of IE is being called "Spartan" in an attempt to re-brand it (because everybody knows it sucks) ?

First they called their lovely Siri knockoff "Cortana", now this.

Talk about whoring out a brand :smith:

They'll move onto Minecraft branding soon enough :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

The best use of proxy chat was in splinter cell multi when you crouched over an unconscious enemy. Teabag chat will never be topped.

Wasn't there another game (maybe cod, don't remember) where the other player could hear you for 2 seconds after you killed them or you could hear them when you killed them?

MickRaider posted:

I guess I'd rather error on the side of low bandwith for those evenings when all your neighbors are streaming netflix and hulu than have prox chat. At least until I get a digital line not shared with a node.

This doesn't really matter, once the line is congested everything is going to be dropped unless your network/isp uses some form of quality of service (preference to certain types of traffic). Sounds like the ISP you use is poo poo :v:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 5, 2015

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

shaitan posted:

After all that hooplah, that certainly seems like a bland release announcement. Is this the big fabled "omg it's gonna fix everything!" patch?

Looks like it if reddit is anything to go by, everyone reporting successes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2xvemw/halo_the_master_chief_collection_content_update/

Only took them 4 months!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
It's the Alterac Valley of game modes, just simple massive player on player spam. If that's not your cup of tea, they still have warsong gulch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Halo 5: A posting Warzone

• Locked thread