Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Yeah, my bad. I've put in a request to a mod to get it changed.

I hope they use a Xbox OG/360 tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think H3 had about a year until MW1 hit and no one really knew COD was going to explode like it did. H3 really only had that to compete with, with GoW a very distant third.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh man, H3 proximity chat. gently caress yes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo looks weird as gently caress at 60fps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man that Halo 2 footage looks somehow worse than just playing Halo 2.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Coagulation, Blood Gulch and Hemorrhage are all lovely, garbage maps and I wish they'd loving die and never come back. Blood Gulch worked ok with the limitations of H1 but Coagulation was just a pile of dicks and Hemorrhage was just awful thanks to the marksman rifle.

This is correct.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Where the gently caress is H3 BTB.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why the gently caress does anyone care about achievements.

Unless you earn them organically and they surprise you, playing a metagame is loving stupid unless there is some kind of tangible benefit to doing so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Because challenging yourself can be fun?

Why the gently caress does anyone care what someone else finds fun so long as it's not hurting anything?

I get it, but getting hyped over an achievement list is dumb. Especially since they are all like 5-20 a piece. A lot of those arent even worth it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Third Halo best Halo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I sure loving hope there is a 'just play halo 3 maps' option because gently caress being a noob all over again thanks to never playing H2 beyond splitscreen coag at a friends house.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It looks way better than the other 2 do. I wonder how 4 looks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Reach best campaign h3 best multi ---------------------------------- cut thread here

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Preloaded a digital copy since I will be playing this as my go-to multiplayer game for some time to come.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kirbyabc posted:

this thread is so negative! try and focus on the good times like when that bonerfarts guy tried to buy mdma off the forums to cure his depression coz he couldnt figure out how to get drugs at college

edit: anyone want to get us started on some lore chat?

IMO This is more interesting than any halo story.

I just play campaign for the set pieces.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have the day off work but am so sick and achey that I literally cant get to the store to buy this.

Blessing and a curse.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Haquer posted:

Dude I like video games and all, but seriously?

It's cool I have it pre installed but did it via the U.S. Store so need to wait til it's midnight in the U.S. to play it.

I was supposed to pick up a copy for my brother so we can begin our nostalgic journey into Halo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well that was a great way to waste 60Gb of data, turns out my installation was hosed and after a reboot, disappeared entirely!

hopefully I can rip it off this disc for the install and then just re-install the digital copy licence.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its pretty funny how different Halo 4 feels from Halo 1 when you can play them back to back.

the whole mood of it is just so not-Halo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

And somehow the multiplayer, despite not being on the disc and having the most time for development, still doesnt work.

343 studios everyone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anim8 does anyone at 343 know maths at all because this is loving hilarious. 5v5 halo 3, max players 10, max party size is 4.

So you can't play 5v5 with 4 friends. You have to have a pubbie on your team.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you are in match making and back out, it doesn't pull the party members out with you, even if you all entered as one group. Sometimes while searching as a party there can be multiple party leaders, or none at all. Or you will be divided up into your own lobbies and start a game that is just yourself. Online friends appear and vanish from the roster seemingly at random, and the customised player cards/icons reset.

When I managed to get a game, at one point an 8 Mann game started as 5v3 and then I was switched to the team with my two buddies on it after betraying my old teammates twice.

You came -1th

South paw controls have no ability to fire vehicle weapons.

It seems really unintuitive to change the way customs are configured when all four of the games used the same interface previously and it was more familiar and user friendly than whatever this garbage is now.

The default Ctf flag behaviour is "can cap while home flag is away" which is only true to halo 4. All others required home flag to be at base to cap.

The ui is ugly. There's too many playlists. The h2 anniversary mp maps look weird and the grenade switch sound is laughably bad.

And a 20gb day one patch apparently didn't address any of these issues.

Gotta say that I'm not holding my breath for halo 5. You can't even deliver four old games in their working state.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just do betrayals til you get auto swapped to the other team. Vote kick for betrays is also disabled :D

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why does CE anniversary master chief look like a portly middle aged man wearing an adult diaper?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There is so many anti-halo design choices all-the-gently caress over this game that is pretty obvious its a quick cash-in and not a love letter to halo fans or any other bullshit they try to spin it as.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i had a single game of Team H2 Anniversary which upon completion, pressing B on the post-game report screen removes you from the lobby never to see those combatants again :downs:

there is literally no explanation of how to proceed with the same group of players into another game.

how do you mess up games that all had perfect working lobbies and UIs this badly?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ryse isn't even worth a free download on unlimited internet.

Just played team brs in the pit and it was bliss.

Halo feels weird at 60fps though. All the movements look way fake.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What a smug gently caress you are.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo: the Windows ME Edition

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo the MCC is even more of a cash grab than I imagined.

Here I thought it was a dumb game to sell you what you already owned. Now I realize it's a dumb game to sell you that you already own and could be playing right now but you can't.

Who wants to play some Halo 3 matchmaking?

No one wants to play your lovely forge maps sorry bro.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why do you care enough about achievements to call up technical support?

I will never understand why anyone gives even the slightest of fucks about Achievements.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hahaha lol you guys playing a dumb game hahahaha

*spends hundreds of hours manipulating blocks in forge so they align perfectly*

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

TL;DR game developers can do nothing right. Ever

Why do you keep defending a developer who does not give a poo poo whether or not you like them as long as they have your money?

Are you hoping they see your white knighting and offer you a position as a map designer or something?

There is no loving excuse for releasing software that is this broken.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress 343 Industries. At least battlefield 4 let you play the broken buggy mess. You can't even get a game in this poo poo nugget.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Definition of a good successful game: halo 3

Definition of a bad successful game: halo 4

Definition of a bad unsuccessful game: mcc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I havent played MCC since the first week because its broke as gently caress in so many ways that its not even worth bothering with.

Even if you were right and people only wanted to play campaigns, they are hosed too, and not worth the hassle.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

The fact that you guys still have legitimate hope for this game is so cute.

The game, all around, is basically broken at the "professional" level. This really mean doesn't much to 99.999999% of players but what it does means is that a lot legitimate kills are going to be taken from you i.e. that triple is going to be a double, the sickest snipe of your life will ping off their camo (more on that below), and all those moments that make you say "wow, that was truly incredible" are going to be less frequent just based on how poorly the game runs.

http://halo.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=20847056

The above clip is a pretty sick camo snipe against a known player. That is entertaining poo poo, however...

We "LAN'ed" - as in, used the same router on XBL, to play H2:A during the week. I left after 2 hours because I had literally 4 separate sniper shots ping off a camo players face/body. There's really so much stupid poo poo that happened that I should compile everyone's most absurd moments. There's honestly no way to fix the game besides to burn it to the ground and start over but they already got your money, so gently caress it.

As much as I am pissed this game is broken, knowing that the sperg-lord assholes are even more upset is still worth the price of entry.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The sprint thing is dumb. the explanation is even dumber.

Halo 4 tried to tie the MP into the story and for what reason? it added nothing to the gameplay at all. it was pointless. I dont give a gently caress why the red team is fighting the blue team, its SUPPOSED to be multiplayer stripped back to its core.

Really, that other post had it right - its not about the sci-fi, the setting, the lore, or anything else - its about the fun mechanics of multiplayer, which they are throwing out in favor of god drat story/lore/'immersion'.

MP is what made Halo successful - pissing all over it to try and make sense of it in the canon of Halo is retarded but totally not unexpected from 343i.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Texibus posted:

It ran better because it was set in a contained environment because all you could do is LAN it, the whole reason it was never released online was because coding didn't compensate for lag and every single thing happened client side. So of course it's going to run better.

My trip report from last night is as follows:

Played 3v3 over about 15 custom CE matches on several maps and the hit detection is functioning way, way better. Didn't notice too much off host lag, but we gave host to the worst player so I'm not sure what the advantage would be with a good player. I did notice a lot more dying under cover than before the patch and the teams are still changing after every round once you get back to the lobby.

In the regular Team slayer for CE feels like the shots are registering just fine, however it sort of feels like the targeting is just more generous with headshots. Felt like an above average amount of people where dropping headshots than before, but that could just be because Team Slayer is littered with dudes who only want to play CE.

Played the HCS list with 3 over 6 games, found games pretty slow above 2 min wait times with several uneven teams 3v5 2v4, split up party twice, and two games where people just flat out dropped. Pretty poor experience over all.

Again, I feel like y'all are missing what he meant by immersion. They're not adding sprint into the game because of some back story that Master Chief was an Olympic sprinter and occasionally likes to spread his legs. They're adding it because that's what people do, we run faster sometimes because we're dynamic. Running at a static speed is unnatural, not being able to pull yourself up over a short ledge is unnatrual being able to do those things in a game makes sense.

Yes I see your point that a genetically modified super soldier from the future should be as close in physical ability to a regular jack off person. Also lol at immersion in multiplayer video games/games in general.

Master chief moves fast at all times because he can.

Adding sprint is attempting to modernise halo because apparently that's the defining feature that made COD successful, according to 343.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tried to find games. Anniversary, btb, halo 3, nothing worked.

Good to see halo 5 beta us being released early too. Surely that won't be a cluster gently caress.

• Locked thread