Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Police brandishing automatic weapons at unarmed citizens:

Men, literally better equipped than Peshmerga dudes currently fighting ISIS, running around an American suburban neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

I think it's mostly "gently caress authority" thinking. Kinda sad that that's the moral and ethical way to think so often these days in America.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Or maybe anon is a catch-all term for a diverse group of people who's demographics and political beliefs aren't limited to /pol/?

How about we agree on "both are fair presumptions that can't be disproven, and attempting to weigh which one is more applicable would be really loving hard to find evidence for" and not go into some pissing match when everyone is on the same side here?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Chinatown posted:

Men, literally better equipped than Peshmerga dudes currently fighting ISIS, running around an American suburban neighborhood.

These dudes have better equipment than my battalion did in 2009 while gearing up for a deployment, and it seems like they have less stringent of a SOP regarding engagement with civilians than we did too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I can't believe I'm about to say good things about anon, but their insistence about getting laws passed to reduce police shooting minorities in response to this is shocking considering the majority of them are white males coming from middle class families, especially since I would imagine a decent percent of them throw ironic racism around constantly on chans and game comms.

Kind of an :unsmith: thing to think about.

Imagine the GBS-D&D split being reflected across all of Something Awful, and that's what 4chan is at the moment.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
When you consider how small Ferguson is it's even scarier that they have so much military equipment on hand... (or did some of it come from neighboring counties?)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
someone earlier said that they were using county equipment

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I think those above photos are the Sheriff department, IIRC.

Edit: Also, Furgeson police cars, in 2014, still do not have on-board cameras. No dash-cams. In 2014.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

If you're not following Alderman Antonio French's twitter, you should do so (@AntonioFrench). He's posting tons of vines of whatever's going on in Ferguson right now.

Lots of chanting "hands up, don't shoot" and "no justice, no peace" right now.

Edit: Police deploying to face demonstrators now. It's all on his twitter timeline right now in progressing 6 second increments.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Is it just me or are these "black kid dies due to cop , black community pissed" riots getting more severe. If not on the protestor side then on the police response side? I feel like these shootings are too close together to simply pass from public conscience.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

These dudes have better equipment than my battalion did in 2009 while gearing up for a deployment, and it seems like they have less stringent of a SOP regarding engagement with civilians than we did too.

Have you not seen the shooting of the hobo in the middle of the desert? Their only SOP is suspect has something in his hands.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

Wasn't there a no-fly zone in place during the Boston Bombings?

The Big Bear sheriffs ordered the news choppers back before they immolated Christopher Dorner in that cabin in Feb 2013.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is it just me or are these "black kid dies due to cop , black community pissed" riots getting more severe. If not on the protestor side then on the police response side? I feel like these shootings are too close together to simply pass from public conscience.

I saw a meme on Twitter about how police have killed an unarmed black person every 28 hours so far this year. If the protestor side isn't getting worse, the response side sure is because it's looking more and more like the police really want an all-out war.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

zeal posted:

The Big Bear sheriffs ordered the news choppers back before they immolated Christopher Dorner in that cabin in Feb 2013.

what was the exact quote? "Start the burner" or something?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Miltank posted:

what was the exact quote? "Start the burner" or something?

I believe it was burn him out.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

I saw a meme on Twitter about how police have killed an unarmed black person every 28 hours so far this year. If the protestor side isn't getting worse, the response side sure is because it's looking more and more like the police really want an all-out war.

I know people like to cherry pick quotes from tea party types and moan about how white America would cheer on a race war, but I think there's a line the police can't cross without America taking notice/recoiling in horror.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can we see the line yet?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zeal posted:

I bet they have the shooter cornered somewhere!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
My favorite video so far is this vine showing a cop pointing his rifle at the cameraman. The cameraman is a St. Louis Alderman.

Did someone say Michael was "probably" going to be character assassinated? Hahaha, this is AMERICA, comrade! Here's some bullshit about him that I've seen on Facebook:

This is being passed around as being the criminal record that the mainstream media is suppressing:

quote:

Description: Burglary - 1st Degree { Felony B RSMo: 569.160 }
Date: 11/02/2013 Code: 1401000
OCN: AJ006207 Arresting Agency: ST ANN PD

Description: Armed Criminal Action { Felony Unclassified RSMo: 571.015 }
Date: 11/02/2013 Code: 3101000

Description: Assault 1st Degree - Serious Physical Injury { Felony A RSMo: 565.050 }
Date: 11/02/2013 Code: 1301100

Description: Armed Criminal Action { Felony Unclassified RSMo: 571.015 }
Date: 11/02/2013 Code: 3101000
It's supposedly from Case.net, but given that Michael would have been a juvenile and that there are literallly over 100 guys named Michael Brown in the St. Louis area, it's almost certainly a different Michael Brown. I looked but couldn't find the particular records on case.net; any goons up for finding it?

He had a soundcloud. Look forward to his lyrics being forwarded to you by your uncle as proof that he was a hardened urban thug. Furthermore, his profile picture is him wearing a red shirt (the color of the BLOODS) and flashing a gang sign.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 13, 2014

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Big Beef City posted:

Can we see the line yet?

it's uh, a pretty bright line

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gobbeldygook posted:

My favorite video so far is this vine showing a cop pointing his rifle at the cameraman. The cameraman is a St. Louis Alderman.

The woman screaming in the background is pretty messed up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Miltank posted:

go read the last couple pages of the GiP ask cops thread if you want to see the sort of arguments police make against such measures.

Why the gently caress is the Ask Cops thread in GiP? :psyduck:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Goons in police I guess?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

It would get demolished in any other forum. Its a "safe zone" or whatever the mods call it.

Also:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Let's not start talking about GiP, please.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

A Winner is Jew posted:

I can't believe I'm about to say good things about anon, but their insistence about getting laws passed to reduce police shooting minorities in response to this is shocking considering the majority of them are white males coming from middle class families, especially since I would imagine a decent percent of them throw ironic racism around constantly on chans and game comms.

Kind of an :unsmith: thing to think about.

I've been seeing some back and forth words of support on twitter between some black ferguson residents and some anons. It's pretty :unsmith:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Kitfox88 posted:

Law Enforcement in America Paramillitary in nature and there is also a lot of cops who are former or current millitary.

Its been that way for a long time and its surprising that you find that surprising. Unless you are from a sane country anyway.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

unwantedplatypus posted:

A black man is killed by police in the US every 28 hours http://www.occupy.com/article/black-man-killed-us-every-28-hours-police

That image is missing the shooting of a black man by an off-duty cop in Dallas (I think), and the shooting of an unarmed black man in LA by the highway patrol, and the brutal beating of a homeless black woman in LA by a cop for what amounts to jaywalking. All in the last week or so.

People are tired of this poo poo. It's obvious that the politicians won't do anything, despite relying on PoC to win elections (at least for the Democrats), and people are sick and tired of seeing their families brutalized and executed by the state. My brother, a federal employee for USPS, was walking to work last year and has SIX cop cars, guns drawn and brandished, swarm him because he "fit the description" of a suspect for a crime on the other side of town. At 8am on a weekday. One innocent, wrong move (i.e. gesturing towards his pockets, running, etc) and my brother would be dead. It's been enough for a long time, but social media and community activism has really started to mobilize around this kind of brutality as a serious issue, at least for certain demographics.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 13, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Big Beef City posted:

Can we see the line yet?

Yup, it's right here:
http://imgur.com/zHER2qE

And here's a better picture:

It's a double-yellow line with blood over it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Well, I take back that this is hearkening back to Jim Crow. Jim Crow sheriffs didn't need tactical kneepads.

This is worse than Jim Crow. Also the no-fly zone is sure making me think of Gaza, which makes me think that we will in fact have barricaded ghettos within a decade. Oh, actually we seem to have a barricaded ghetto at this very moment! :wow:

e: Boy, good thing the cops are keeping that memorial from getting too big.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SedanChair posted:

Well, I take back that this is hearkening back to Jim Crow. Jim Crow sheriffs didn't need tactical kneepads.

This is worse than Jim Crow. Also the no-fly zone is sure making me think of Gaza, which makes me think that we will in fact have barricaded ghettos within a decade. Oh, actually we seem to have a barricaded ghetto at this very moment! :wow:

e: Boy, good thing the cops are keeping that memorial from getting too big.

D&D.txt right here folks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I will be out tonight and posting in this thread. I think I will introduce the protesters to maoism third-worldism, that should remedy things.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Man, between Mike Brown and Travon Martin black kids should probably stop going to convenience stores. :downsrim:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Man, between Mike Brown and Travon Martin black kids should probably stop going to convenience stores. :downsrim:

Except apparently Brown wasn't even the guy shoplifted the store.

Apparently you're not truly safe as a person of color in the states unless you manage to live in a location that's completely out of walking distance of a convenience store.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Neo Duckberg posted:

I will be out tonight and posting in this thread. I think I will introduce the protesters to maoism third-worldism, that should remedy things.

if any local clergy are killed please report back ASAP

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Or you draw and shoot the cops heading your way first. Given the track records it's self defense at this point. :sigh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Supporting the rumor and talk about how the looters were not actually from Ferguson,
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...6d73dd08a1.html

2 have Ferguson addresses, the other 7 are from places like Berkley.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Neo Duckberg posted:

A real Maoist Third Worldist would realize that the Western labour aristocracy is too far gone to bother. :colbert:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

Apparently you're not truly safe as a person of color in the states

I think that's a bit more accurate. Much like the "guidelines to avoid rape for women" there's nothing really a black person can do that will prevent them from being killed by police, and it's looking at the problem from the wrong end(I know your post wasn't serious).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Alkydere posted:

Except apparently Brown wasn't even the guy shoplifted the store.

Apparently you're not truly safe as a person of color in the states unless you manage to live in a location that's completely out of walking distance of a convenience store.

Good thing cities are hard at work with more and more food deserts in urban areas! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

Did someone say Michael was "probably" going to be character assassinated? Hahaha, this is AMERICA, comrade! Here's some bullshit about him that I've seen on Facebook:

This is being passed around as being the criminal record that the mainstream media is suppressing:

It's supposedly from Case.net, but given that Michael would have been a juvenile and that there are literallly over 100 guys named Michael Brown in the St. Louis area, it's almost certainly a different Michael Brown. I looked but couldn't find the particular records on case.net; any goons up for finding it?

He had a soundcloud. Look forward to his lyrics being forwarded to you by your uncle as proof that he was a hardened urban thug. Furthermore, his profile picture is him wearing a red shirt (the color of the BLOODS) and flashing a gang sign.

Assault with serious injury and burglary while armed as a young black man? Yeah, different person, because whoever that was isn't walking free right now.

• Locked thread