Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

Wasn't there a no-fly zone in place during the Boston Bombings?

The Big Bear sheriffs ordered the news choppers back before they immolated Christopher Dorner in that cabin in Feb 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah you should consider submitting these to a place that will pay you money for them duckberg there's some drat fine shots in this thread so far

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soviet Commubot posted:

many or even most of them will have spent time in Iraq or Afghanistan

So did many of the cops who've been on the street through this whole thing. Pardon me if I'm not overwhelmingly reassured by the presence of still more Veterans of Foreign Wars armored up on the police side of the line.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

pathetic little tramp posted:

20 years after it was first released, people still want more Donkey Kong, even answering that way when a reporter asks about a completely unrelated issue.

On the right wing hate talk this morning, I heard some the host saying it was police policy that whenever you pull out your gun, you have to empty the clip, so while some people are upset about the sheer number of shots, that's just what his job demands!

Anyone know what the hell he's talking about?

that would explain why nyc cops feel it's necessary to absolutely spray their targets with bullets, bystanders be damned

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Widestancer posted:

I'm surprised they're not seizing it incident to arrest. Maybe they have more sense than that but I doubt it.

One of the recurring events of this whole thing is people who were forced to abandon their vehicles coming back to find them unmoved and untouched. When Antonio French was arrested a few nights ago (for stepping out of his car) his was even left unlocked.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ron Jeremy posted:

Just saw a guy on tape from earlier using what looked like the plastic lid from a large dumpster as a shield while the cops shot tear gas. That's pretty clever imo.

Occupy Oakland had/has volunteer shield-bearers using a few such lids layered into pretty good protective devices against tear gas canisters, rubber bullets. that was where that ex-marine took a grenade to the forehead after all.

the writing inside her shield says 'protect the person behind you'

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatse.cx posted:

Juggalo symbol on his shorts

i'll trust a clown over a pig any day you please

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

420DD Butts posted:

Aren't police supposed to aim canisters away from people? Not, you know, attempt to shoot people with them like they're bullets?

LA Sheriffs killed a hispanic organizer like that in the 70s. He was at a bar several blocks away from a protest/police riot in a park, a sheriff fired a tear gas round through the bar door to smash through the back of his skull. HS Thompson wrote about it in Bad Rumblings in Aztlan.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what kind of worthless poo poo holy man accepts this gig

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ron johnson's broken my heart every time he's shown up tonight

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
some of those arrested were two foreign journalists too but no mention now

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
'we do not want any citizen hurt'

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
'we are providing protection for journalists'

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

HE4T posted:

A crazy guy with possible mental health issues and or high on drugs is rushing you with a knife. Let me look in my officer training hand book and see what it says I should do.

reach for your tazer instead of your gun? be basically competent in physical self defense, as someone employed to physically enforce the law? be more than a sniveling, over-paid bully with too much authority?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Tazers work exactly like phasers from Star Trek and everyone you point them at instantly falls down and accepts Jesus into their heart. But if that doesn't work there's always shaolin kung fu.

I suppose it really is too much to ask that police have sslightly more self-defense training than elementary school judo students. I mean, it's not like part of their job is dealing with violent, irrational situations!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Give them that magical training that makes knives not lethal.

Its pretty hard to knife somebody who's backing away through a haze of pepper spray. Self-defense training doesn't mean kung fu you clod.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hawkline posted:

I don't think the British would appreciate their law being called anything more than Anglo.

I reckon the non-Anglo British might.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

fknlo posted:

Maybe they were trying to talk him down like people in this thread accused them of not doing?

that implies a level of competence lacking from every instance of police activity in Ferguson over the last week+

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Low tax monetizing the forums. (forii). I hope RCP protests.

the correct conjugation is 'fora,' ugh

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

gfsincere posted:

And thank you for inviting me here!

you've made a grave, grave error in coming to this ruinous place

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thundercracker posted:

It kinda worked for OWS

With OWS there were fixed physical sites, the tent camps, for LEOs to surround and storm. There was also a level of federal coordination in the decisive wave of arrests that the SLCounty police seem intent on resisting. Much as they're definitely helping the cops to escalate things, the increasing presence of out-of-towners keeps the manpower of the protests decentralized. The only area the police could cordon off to try and strangle the protests is the town of Ferguson itself; the only places they could ransack to pillage the protesters' accumulated supplies are established community institutions like the aforementioned St. Mark's/Sebastian's. There's also the simple fact that these protests are, at their root, about spilt blood rather than diffuse, oppressive economic and political conditions. There's an immediacy to this struggle over forcing the police to subject Wilson to due process that did not exist with Occupy. The cops involved are only aggravating that grievance and the resistance it generates by deliberately antagonizing protesters and media, as we've seen. Finally, there's the fact of the Occupy crackdown itself. Many of the activists gravitating towards leadership and spokesperson roles either watched that happen or were directly part of it; the element of shock and surprise that helped the NYPD perform their eviction on the Zuccotti Park camp, for instance (even the troops called up for that shindig were told they were prepping for a drill, not action, that night and early morning) no longer exists. In future, as today in Ferguson, any significant protest movement must know that the authorities will meet them with all their black armor, sound cannons and gas grenades. The police haven't really updated their approach since Occupy, if Ferguson is evidence, but their opposition is adapting to them, sometimes unconsciously.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 20, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Droid posted:

Wasn't Johnson all about thanking the local clergy last night?

Johnson's been all about a lot of things since those few hours of sense last Thursday. He also denied any reporters were arrested in Monday night's/Tuesday morning's press conference.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wilson thumping his own face into his car door and firing wildly at a fleeing man in fear and anger does make a certain degree of sense. Let's see a hospital report.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

I only rewatched a couple times but honestly I don't see either a provocation for the cops to step out of their car and immediately pull their guns, nor do I see a knife. The guy filming on his cellphone and several other people walk by and clearly realize the victim is not "all there" but he's not being violent or making much of a scene. Then the cops pull in guns drawn, the guy says "shoot me shoot me kill me now" and walks towards them, they empty a ton of rounds into him. I didn't see a knife but I suppose he could have pulled something quickly and at close range the cops had no time but to fire.

Still, I really see no reason why they needed to start the confrontation with guns on the guy. Again, seems to be needlessly aggressive toward someone who's clearly not of a sound state of mind.

it makes a lot more sense when you bear in mind that most cops are cowards

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its not as much that we assume they do as that we assume they should. If they can afford several MRAPs they can afford tasers.

that's the thing though. they're as broke as the local governments they allegedly serve. they couldn't afford the MRAPs et.al. without being given them by the feds as free military surplus.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Untagged posted:

Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available? Many don't. It can be pretty hard to effectively judge a situation in light of not knowing what may or may not have been available to an officer at the time of an incident.

You're right, expecting the police to be equipped or prepared to deal with an irrational confrontation with anything but maximum force is expecting far too much of them

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe you. I guess European police are just better trained with their guns, or less trigger-happy in general. I hold out no hope for American police ever being like that, so I'm happy with a philosophy that puts extreme restrictions on whether a gun should be fired at all.

that's not too high a bar really, american police log miniscule range time on average. it's frankly remarkable that six of the eight shots wilson fired on the bitter day actually hit their target

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SinistralRifleman posted:

The police don't want to kill you

Yeah, about that... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFia3Uo0TQ

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

7thBatallion posted:

Been gone for 5 hours. Did I miss anything?

Relatively quiet night due to storms/people needing to go back to their jobs. But apparently the PMC Asymmetric Solutions was hired to add some of their ex-special forces goons to the security detail of an unnamed individual visiting St. Louis this week.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

I know it's not a popular sentiment around here but I also want to put it out there that most cops - and by that I mean a big majority - aren't thrilled about killing people. These are people who suffer sever post traumatic stresa disorder and I've met people who have had severe life changing scars from their encounters with death. Terrible shootings absolutely happen, Mike Brown is a prime example, but unless Wilson is insane he has to be carrying that poo poo with him. He deserves to be locked up for a long time.

Why, it's almost as though training police to respond to any threatening situation with deadly force can only lead to bad consequences!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to the Charlotte rally tonight. Will goon report of there's anything to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naturally Selected posted:

It's great that, 4 months later, this thread inevitably devolved right back into SHOOT FOR THE LEGS :allears:

i saw a video of a swat sniper shoot out a gun once there's no reason why cops everywhere shouldn't have the same split-second capability :downs:

I agree, expecting the poorly trained, poorly disciplined cowards and thugs who infest American police forces to have any other stress response than a hail of indiscriminate gunfire really is asking too much of them.

• Locked thread