Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Alkydere posted:

Except apparently Brown wasn't even the guy shoplifted the store.

Apparently you're not truly safe as a person of color in the states unless you manage to live in a location that's completely out of walking distance of a convenience store.

Good thing cities are hard at work with more and more food deserts in urban areas! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Javes posted:

Seeing a lot of people on twitter trashing libertarians for being silent on this issue. You'd think this would be right up their alley?

Silence from Libertarians when black people are oppressed? Shocked, shocked I say! :monocle:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

jrodefeld posted:

There is a big difference between Corporate Fascism and a free market. But seriously, take a good look at what socialized police services has produced! An emerging police state, a war on drugs, entire communities that fear being murdered by an occupying force, and escalating incidents of abuse and racism. And no real accountability or productive change for the better.

I would like to expand the range of choices for people who have very few to begin with.

Hrm, the free market is an engine for productive change for the better, you say?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mitt Romney posted:

How in the world could they justify that? No crowd is even around and it's just a bunch of news vans.

Because they're drunk with power and dumb as hell?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

nutranurse posted:

This is the line of thinking that pisses me off the most about racist white people. No matter what the reality of the situation/its history is—i.e. these are black people whose continental origin is loving America because your lovely ancestors brought they' ancestors over here, against their will, and let's not even bother going back to slavery, they're Americans and have as much right to be here as any loving white person—blacks will always be seen as 'unamerican' and an 'other' despite their ancestors literally breaking their backs to build the colonies into a nation. :wtc:

There's a reason pretty much any minority has "Continent/Country of Origin"-American or some other hyphenated American identity (eg African-American, Asian-American) while white people are just assumed to be "American". That's no accident.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lowtechs posted:

Well how else is he going to keep the coloreds down without the use of the Anglo-American judicial system. They obviously should just submit to the Anglo-American justice system and accept their place in this society.

(And this is someone who gets elected Lt Gov in Missouri.)

I wonder what an African-American judicial system would look like...

In the mind of the Lt. Gov, probably a bunch of primates hootering and hollering as they bare fangs at one another.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The Wire is a well-researched show that is also engaging and entertaining to watch. It's better than suggesting "Go read a book about the drug war and its effects on poor black neighborhoods" because I have a reasonable hope of actually getting somebody to watch the Wire.

I fail to see how it is any worse of a resource than anything else on the subject, it offers an exact glance into how drugs affect inner city neighborhoods.

An academic paper with The Wire as its only source on the subject would be immediately laughed at by a college professor and given an F- (or a D- for pity/effort).

Then again, you could be like Scalia and cite 24 for constitutional jurisprudence on torture.

Are you... Are you actually Scalia? :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 22, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

VitalSigns posted:

I love "college leftists" as an insult because it reveals the reactionaries' disdain of education and learning.

"Can't trust that one folks, he reads them books that got all sorts of funny ideas in 'em. Now me, I learned from the school of the Real World, sitting at my great-grandpappy's knee listening to him tell how a black boy'll stab you the second you turn yer back" :clint:

I actually used to have a conservative friend who told me with no hint of irony he was proud to know how the world works without ever having to read a single book. :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sappo posted:

If Chief Jackson said the sky was blue, you'd want to go outside and look up just to be sure.

drat, wish I could empty-quote this. Definitely gotta use this in more situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Neo Duckberg posted:

Michael Brown was breaking into officer Wilson's home, so he had to blast him.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Michael Brown was breaking into officer Wilson's home, so he had to blast him.

I think other racists view black people as breaking and entering into society as a whole, this is just a tangible way of shoving uppity niggers back out doors where they belong, so to speak; they just won't articulate it that way.

• Locked thread