Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Is it just me or are these "black kid dies due to cop , black community pissed" riots getting more severe. If not on the protestor side then on the police response side? I feel like these shootings are too close together to simply pass from public conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

I saw a meme on Twitter about how police have killed an unarmed black person every 28 hours so far this year. If the protestor side isn't getting worse, the response side sure is because it's looking more and more like the police really want an all-out war.

I know people like to cherry pick quotes from tea party types and moan about how white America would cheer on a race war, but I think there's a line the police can't cross without America taking notice/recoiling in horror.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Fair enough, and glad people aren't realizing my posts aren't fully serious (I think it's a bit of a mental self defense mechanism at the horror at this point).

Seriously though, I'm not sure what horrifies me the most: the brutality and disregard for human life being displayed loving officers of the peace or the incompetence. It's 2014, we should have left this sort of violence by the police back in the 60's and 70's. It's also 2014, the police should be aware that every single person in the states is packing at least one recording device to document their fuckups.

The type of person who shoots somebody else to satisfy their power fantisies is not the type of person to care about backlash if they can get away with it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perhaps, habitual suspects should form a suspects' union and purchase some big legal guns to protect their rights?

In case there is a hint of non-irony in there. That would be a sure fire way to get labeled as terrorists.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Jesus loving Christ. This poo poo can't go on forever. The police are just adding more and more heat to a boiling pot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

*when faced with actual armed opposition.

But Guys! Its no fun if the other side shoots back.

Seriouspost: Holy poo poo, shots fired on both sides is very bad news.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

axeil posted:

Right now I'd say it's pretty low. If it spreads I'm guessing it'd spread to the rest of St. Louis before it moves into other towns.

Also I'm guessing the cops won't respond as harshly. Then again, I didn't think the cops would be arresting journalists today to help diffuse things.

I think the police have made it evident, in this instance and previous, that they have no idea how to deescalate a situation. They will keep escalating and escalating until the other side backs down because they have the bigger guns.

Now whether or not the other side will back down, I don't know.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
How much of America will honestly believe the tale of violent looters and thugs? At the very least minority communities should be taking note and notice of the police brutality. I would wager that more liberal whites also will take the side of protesters.

Hell, Occupy wall street was hardly a minority only protest.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Minority communities are well aware of police brutality and as you say, Occupy was hardly just black folks and nobody paid attention to that either.

Nobody paid attention to that? In just your post you have Minority communities and white Occupy protestors. Those people count. Those people are somebody

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm there too, I'm the guy with my shirt off yelling WORLD STAR

Easily 40%

What about the other 60%? People don't need unanimous support to enact change.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Oakland PD shot an Iraq vet in the head with a tear gas grenade and put him in a coma during Occupy, and the rest of the country's reaction was still "Maybe those anarchists shouldn't mess with the bull if they don't want the horns!!"

Yes, because loud assholes on the internet make up the opinion of the entire country.

Edit:^^^ If I remember correctly LA had race-fueled protests a year or two ago.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I understand that others don't share my (perhaps undeserved) optimism and hope, but I its important that despair doesn't keep people from trying to change things for the better.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Via @mattdpearce

STL County Police Chief Belmar: "We've done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint."

If you consider "everything short of gunning down protesters en masse (including gunning them down with rubber bullets en masse" to require a lot of restraint, I guess

Hey now, I'm sure they had a predator drone or two they kept locked up.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The first three comments alone say a lot about America:

Youtube comments = America, good to know.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"Hey Guys, uh, maybe we should just, you know, calm down about this whole situation"

Come the gently caress on Obama. "Don't shoot kids" isn't something you should have to walk on eggshells about.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Historically its not all that hard to rally poor people under a common banner, the problem is doing that in modern america, where things are bad but often not quite so bad that people are as pissed as they were during huey long's time.

There's also a healthy white middle class that aligns itself with the rich, although this middle class is shrinking.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Right but there are millions of poor whites not any better off then various other groups. The current powers that be are doing a decent job of supplying just enough welfare and other things to keep people deciding to not jeopardize their jobs and lives and such by going out and joining protest movements.

The current powers are neither self aware enough nor smart enough to be doing this intentionally or keep this up.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

My father has straight up called out his fellow right wing upper/middle management friends using the logic of "if you take away too much, we will end up with mobs like like in france"

I'd say plenty of them know it.

Was this done in the context of "You guys are assholes" or "We can't exploit them too much"? Regardless, that sort of logic has never won out before. The people in power just keep pushing and pushing until they can't push anymore.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mitt Romney posted:

How in the world could they justify that? No crowd is even around and it's just a bunch of news vans.

:fap: Oh my god all this military equipment I have so much power right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Where was that poll taken from?

• Locked thread