Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Obdicut posted:

Channel 7's news copter can fly at 4,000 feet and still get footage with a good camera, though. And nobody's vine video that shows anything from Ferguson involving cops is going to languish. Channel 7 will happily buy (or steal) it.

Of all the things going on--aiming weapons at clearly unarmed, non-violent protesters, tear-gassing residents in their backyards, failing to interview witnesses, not releasing the name of the officer, calling black people 'animals'--the (limited) FAA closure is really small potatoes.

It calls attention to the level of police state, that's why people are focusing on it.

Funnily enough, police killing killing people for [living] while black isn't anything new, but I don't remember seeing a no-fly zone before, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Obdicut posted:

I'd say it distracts attention away from the actual police state poo poo that's going on.

To add to that, there's allegations that the wooden rounds used in riot control, which are supposed to get reflected off the ground before they hit you, were being used directly on protesters.

Oh there's all sorts of awful poo poo happening in this case, I don't think talking about no-fly's takes away from the fact that they rolled in a tank to address a non-violent protest, or used wooden slugs.

There's room for all the awfulness. :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, there was a tank there? Not like a MRAP but an actual M1A1?

Never change goons, never change.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nah, thats standard for any union. Police unions just havent been watered down completely yet. Dont blame the union, blame the politicians.

Agreed...I can't fault a union for protecting a member, they are legally required to do so.

Having said that, they wouldn't give a regular suspect the same benefit.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Agrajag posted:

Not counting the fact that the kid will probably be character assassinated in the media.

"Probably"?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

Apparently you're not truly safe as a person of color in the states

I think that's a bit more accurate. Much like the "guidelines to avoid rape for women" there's nothing really a black person can do that will prevent them from being killed by police, and it's looking at the problem from the wrong end(I know your post wasn't serious).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

It's also 2014, the police should be aware that every single person in the states is packing at least one recording device to document their fuckups.

They are, that's why they try to get laws passed to make recording them illegal and seize people's phones.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perhaps, habitual suspects should form a suspects' union and purchase some big legal guns to protect their rights?

That sounds like a good way to get some gun control laws passed and your house bombed from helicopters.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

greatn posted:

Most people think Al Sharpton is literally black Hitler instead of the American hero he actually is, because he once advocated for a rape victim who it turned out was dishonest, which is apparently the greatest sin imaginable. Imagine, taking the side of an alleged rape victim, what a monster.

To be fair most folks who hate Al Sharpton dislike him because he's black and vocal about racism. "Opportunist" and "the real racist" and "playing the race card to make money" and all that poo poo, codewords for uppity.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I'm so confused by all the people arguing that a protest movement should only be centered around local leaders. The community and local leaders should be the primary voice and should definitely be at the forefront of the movement but to deny that outside protest leaders are unhelpful or unwanted de-legitimizes movements like Freedom Summer which were hugely successful and which had the backing of the community they came to. To say that national political figures should keep their hands off of a local protest movement ignores the agency of local leaders and activists who might actually want outside intervention and help from other activists.

It's cool because by some huge coincidence people use the same rhetoric that has been used against blacks organizing since the 60's but are certainly not concern trolls.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone should point out to these people that that this is officially the 2,599th "No Fly Zone" issued by the FAA in 2014. The online media reporting on this has essentially gone full Freep on that one particular total non-issue instead of anything else. It's bizarre.

Probably they are using it as an example of how over-the-top the response of the Fergeson police has been, along with the vehicles and equipment. Most people aren't familiar with police being able to declare no-fly zones in places they've already been hostile to the media. I know I wasn't, and it's not like I'm new to "gently caress the Police" threads.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Ferguson Police didn't declare anything. The St Louis County Police requested from the FAA a 3nm x 3000' area in which they could operate their aircraft without having to worry about a bunch of media helicopters in the way and the FAA chose to comply with the request. Nobody is restricted from spending all day every day at 3001'.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or the ACAB one but I pointed out earlier that this exact same thing happened during the Bundy Ranch shenanigans and was apparently ignored by everyone outside the Inforwars sphere.

I said why they're focusing on it, not that it was right to focus on it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

quote:

The United States of America is not for black people. We know this, and then we put it out of our minds, and then something happens to remind us. Saturday, in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Mo., something like that happened: An unarmed 18-year-old black man was executed by police in broad daylight.

By now, what's happening in Ferguson is about so many second-order issues—systemic racism, the militarization of police work, and how citizens can redress grievances, among other things—that it's worth remembering what actually happened here.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/america-is-not-for-black-people-1620169913

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/anonymous-releases-st-louis-police-dispatch-tapes

quote:

This was just posted by @theanonmessage, a twitter account affiliated with Anonymous' Operation Ferguson. They start talking about the Mike Brown shooting around 11:26:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zta9FyoA7TU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

D_I posted:

What is this photo they are using? I tend to avoid TV news.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nonsense posted:

Brown "throwing a gang sign", looks like just a peace sign, the batman shooter was much longer ago, but I remember how he wasn't immediately shown to be threatening.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/iftheygunnedmedown?src=hash

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

D_I posted:

I don't see how that can be percieved as "thugish" unless you already came to that conclusion beforehand.

Maybe you're not the target for that photo, eh?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Chinatown posted:

"2 days until I start college."

That makes the lack of a "high school senior picture" even more blatant.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Petr posted:

You sure used a lot of letters to spell "uppity."

There's legit criticism of Sharpton but unsurprisingly, white folks don't ever seem to mention those things.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

bassguitarhero posted:

Why riot now? Because we had the civil rights movement 50 years ago and nothing's loving changed.

Um excuse me we have a black president.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I think saying "nothing's changed" is a bit simplified, things have, but to say that racism is greatly reduced is also innaccurate.

What's changed is that racism presents itself in different ways and in different terms. Schools are even more segregated now, police are still shooting people for basically being black, inequality is still heavily along racial lines....what's changed is that we have less overt, blatant racism, but "colorblind racism" and "I'm not a racist but" isn't lesser racism, it's just different racism.

Sure we don't lynch black kids...the cops simply shoot them. Sure we don't ban blacks from lunch counters, we simply don't go to "sketchy" neighborhoods where blacks eat.

That's not to say great strides haven't been made. They have. This is a world where I can marry my fiancee, in a state where it would have been illegal in my grandfathers day, or even my fathers. But not as much has changed as whites like to think.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Pretty sure that's an LRAD device on the right in this image:

LAPD's been pulling those out for years. St. Louis really is behind the times in police militarization. California PD's are years ahead.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

hobbesmaster posted:

Its basically LF

You mean like, the opposite right?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

If nothing else this has been quite useful for sorting out which of those tri cornered hat wearing gadsden flag caped "libertarians" is really upset by gross overreach of the state curtailing the freedoms of the individual and using brute force to coerce and intimidate, and which just don't like that the President is black.

You hadn't already sorted that out?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

thefncrow posted:

That certainly sounds like the reporter called the police chief, the chief found out what his moron officers just did, and ordered a release.

I like how they're such dicks that it the chief was probably "oh poo poo, don't rough up and arrest reporters you idiots get them out of here" and the officers still wanted to play it like they were doing favors.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I just read something unconfirmed that Alex Jones got shot at, gassed, and LRAD'd.

Take that as you will.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Von Sloneker posted:

Holy crap, that PA address: "this is no longer a peaceful protest, you must leave."

Well that's how you know it's no longer peaceful, when the cops decide to break the peace.

Good to know.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Spiritus Nox posted:

Jesus christ. Cliven Bundy can have an armed enclave talking poo poo and pointing guns at the fed and get away poo poo-free, one prick - if that - amidst a sea of unarmed protestors can throw a drat bottle and a bunch of armored cops respond with tear gas and rubber bullets and loving LRADs. gently caress this poo poo.

Yeah but when black people tried to arm up and hold a compound police bombed them from the air, so I dunno if it's the guns.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I'm literally watching Alex Jones's ustream as Fergeson police do what the LAPD/NYPD has been doing to protests for years now

This is some surreal poo poo.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nonsense posted:

Is there any real way to prevent yourself from being kettled by police?

There's tactics but you're not going to see people posting them outside of activists groups. Mostly, though, not really.

The police have superior gear, numbers, and mobility.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

good stream watch this

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

What in the actual gently caress? How is any of this legal?

This stuff isn't even new, it's been going on for years.

It may or may not be legal but good luck on getting any justice.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I mean I know it's not legal and it's been going on in poor areas forever, but it's on video and all over the internet. Why isn't there a federal response? Why isn't the Governor of MO doing something? It's obvious the police are provoking this.

The federal government literally coordinated with police to do exactly this in response to the Occupy protests. Everything you're seeing here happened in LA, Oakland, NYC, etc.

Why would the feds do something to stop this? Most of the public will say they deserved it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can't get over the police telling people to disperse while cutting off their avenues of escape.

This is fairly standard. They do this on purpose.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rollofthedice posted:

There's gonna be a ton of negative press over this, this is too well-recorded and insane and big to go unnoticed. Whether anything's done about it in the long run is a different story entirely.

I hope this is true but I don't really have any confidence in it being the case.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

axeil posted:

Gotta bust in some heads to show the community you mean business.

"Stop resisting"

*beats people running away*

"you heard me say stop resisting right?"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Javes posted:

With situations like this seemingly on the rise I'm thankful for the 2nd amendment.

This is adorable.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Alkydere posted:

poo poo like that is exactly why I have a hard time calling rubber bullets "non-lethal".

You shouldn't, they're called "less-lethal" for exactly that reason. You can die from one.

Keep that in mind the next time you see them firing to break up a protest.

:eng101:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Grapplejack posted:

they have loving medics? really???

Occupy Oakland used to have medics. The OPD kept books of pictures so they could target them with rubber bullets first.

• Locked thread