Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

If you're not following Alderman Antonio French's twitter, you should do so (@AntonioFrench). He's posting tons of vines of whatever's going on in Ferguson right now.

Lots of chanting "hands up, don't shoot" and "no justice, no peace" right now.

Edit: Police deploying to face demonstrators now. It's all on his twitter timeline right now in progressing 6 second increments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pretty powerful cartoon about oppressive, over-militarized police and their relationship with citizen journalists, I must say.

:ssh: It's actually a cartoon about Fallujah from 2004.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 13, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Someone explain to me how carefully aiming a rifle at a crowd of peaceful protesters as if you're a combat sniper is in any way necessary or justified.

It's almost like the police don't see themselves as public servants but as combatants in a war where the people are the enemy. Like they're itching for a fight.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 13, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pretty sure that's an LRAD device on the right in this image:

This is all pure intimidation, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Didn't the Ferguson police mention that they wanted protests to end before dark? Is that an actual curfew being issued, or is it just a suggestion/veiled threat that they will gently caress them up if they aren't home by the time the streetlights come on?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Seriously, what the gently caress is this.

There's absolutely no need for this. The protesters AREN'T EVEN IN THE STREET, they're on the loving sidewalk in broad daylight. The cops are causing ten times the disruption the protesters are at this point.

They're indistinguishable from national guardsmen or soldiers deployed somewhere in the middle east. The only difference is they have POLICE written on their flak jackets.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 4m
Police loudspeaker: "Your right to assembly is not being denied."

lmfao

Did they do the jedi hand-wave when they said this?

"You can peaceably assemble, just not in any public places or your own front yard. Now disperse before I shoot you with the rifle I have pointed at your face."

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Antonio French, the alderman who's been providing the best coverage of this situation by far, is in jail.

Here is his last tweet from a few hours ago, with the police line advancing on his car.

Edit: whoops 2 pages late

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 14, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Can we start calling this a police riot? Because that's what it is.

Pretty much all injuries and property damage over the past two nights have been caused by the police, not the protesters. They've been deliberately instigating and sustaining conflict with their ridiculously heavy-handed presence, and have been caught on tape verbally egging on the crowd hoping for a fight. Whether they get the fight they're looking for or not, every night this week has ended with tear gas and rubber bullets in civilians' backyards anyway. And tonight they're detaining journalists and arresting city aldermen.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Sunset posted:

Trying to facilitate the understanding that goes through an officer's mind when they decide it's a good idea to flush out a news/press group with a direct hit of tear gas.

There are only two scenarios that make sense to me. One is just sheer incompetence. After one night of looting and civil unrest, dumbass yahoos in the St. Louis county PD finally had an excuse to bust out their Call of Duty gear and did so with wild abandon. Due to department-wide idiocy there are few ill-applied rules of engagement, and the cops felt free to lob tear gas and rubber bullets at anything that moved until the streets were clear.

The other is the scary possibility that the department isn't incompetent, and they carried out their "civil unrest" procedures by-the-book. Meaning that systemic and organized intimidation of protesters and journalists is the way peaceful demonstrations are going to be dealt with going forward.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Neo Duckberg posted:

Shitload of state troopers rolling up to staging area now. MRAPs pulled up too.

You've got to be making GBS threads me.

If the state troopers start busting out helmets and flak jackets then they haven't learned a loving thing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

Actual veterans responding to photos of the police decked out in armor has been amazing. One of them was pointing out the armored officer sitting on top of the MRAP with the sniper rifle and the veteran says, "You don't sit people on top of an armored vehicle if you think you could get shot at." The police there knew the protestors weren't going to fight back and still set up to make war with them.

It's obvious by now that all the military gear had no tactical purpose and was brought out purely to intimidate the crowd. Tonight's protests prove that when cops wear their regular uniforms and deal with protesters like human beings rather than enemy combatants, you get a calmer and more cooperative crowd that you don't have to shoot and/or gas.

The past two days have been a "community relations 101" case study that proves militarized policing is completely counterproductive for anything outside of armed standoffs and hostage situations.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zen death robot posted:

:unsmigghh: Hahaha eat it you corrupt motherfuckers. I voted against most of you fucks anyway!

This guy should be keeping his head down and mouth shut out of sheer embarrassment, and instead he's pouting because the governor took away his army men and told him to sit in a corner.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

What came first last night, the return of the riot cops or the looting? And what the gently caress was the County SWAT goon squad doing there anyway, weren't they ordered by the Governor to stay the gently caress out of there and let the state troopers handle it?

Regardless, it seems like they did nothing but stir up the crowd with their intimidating posture while they just stood there and watched the looting take place. From what I saw the demonstrators and other well-meaning civilians did most of the legwork in chasing out troublemakers and guarding the stores, and the cops were worse than useless.

What the civilians did last night was commendable, but it's pretty clear by now that the relationship between them and the local/county PD has been utterly destroyed. If the police actually did their job and moved on the looters last night it likely would have caused a full-blown riot, and a city can't function properly if the population views its police force as a hostile, occupying army.

edit: Not only that, but it feels like there's bad blood between local/county PD and the governor/highway patrol. The local cops explicitly disobeyed orders from Captain Johnson in releasing the store footage and making the press conference about Mike Brown instead of Darren Wilson. The local poobahs are circling the wagons and are only interested in protecting themselves at this point, no matter how it affects the rest of the community

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Attach it as a condition for taking federal aid. Otherwise it starts heading into bill of attainder territory.

Or at least as a condition for accepting free surplus military gear. If your police department out in bumfuck nowhere (population 5000) thinks it needs grenade launchers and APCs, there's a good chance it actually needs some oversight and accountability instead.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fknlo posted:

Opponents would just spin it to being something that would RAISE YOUR TAXES AND PROBABLY HELP MINORITIES and it would be a complete non-starter.

Congress is so dysfunctional right now that a reasonable "free milsurp gear is now contingent on deploying dash/body cameras" bill wouldn't even come to a vote unless it had a puppy-kicking rider and "Obama delenda est" in the footnotes somewhere.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I honestly don't think it would pass at the best of times. Republicans aren't going to go for anything that is seen as anti-police or as federal interference in local affairs, and there's a lot of Democrats who aren't going to do that either. Failing to be tough on crime or not supporting local police is a quick way to lose a seat.

A sane country would realize that we aren't in the late 1980s/early 1990s crack wars anymore, crime is at multi-decade lows, and recent cases of police militarization, brutality against protesters and minorities, and the gradual erosion of our 1st and 4th amendment rights means that we're now allowed to swing the pendulum away from "tough on crime" and toward reining in abusive and unnecessarily heavily armed police forces.

In a sane country, we'd be reaching the point where "tough on crime" is more of a negative than a positive.

But we don't live in a sane country, and unfortunately we know what many people believe "tough on crime" actually means.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

How the gently caress do the cops expect anyone to understand their orders when they're yelling them through gas masks and have the LRAD blaring at whoever they're trying to talk to?

Or is this like kettleing where they make their orders impossible on purpose?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The autopsy showed two head shots, one on the top of his skull.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So there's no curfew tonight, but protesters can't step foot into the street or peacefully assemble. And judging by my twitter feed they're going out of their way to gently caress with journalists and photographers right now. Did Nixon just flat out suspend the 1st amendment for the time being or what? I honestly don't get what the purpose of this is except to purposefully instigate another lovely night.

Edit: They're even catching poo poo for staying on the sidewalk.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Watching the I Am Mike Brown stream... Jesus, if this isn't a perfect example of the cops intentionally stirring poo poo up I don't know what is.

The march stopped, some idiot threw a water bottle, and cops in full battle rattle showed up. The crowd started to calm down and turn around, and as soon as they did so the cops started barking orders through the bullhorn to disperse, which of course pissed off the crowd. And then they fired up that goddamn LRAD, which is still going.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Difference between the community leaders and the cops on the megaphones is night and day.

The community leaders are trying to calm the crowd down, telling them to go home, backing them up, getting them on the sidewalk. Generally treating them like human beings.

Meanwhile the cops are barking orders aggressively in the most hostile language possible.

It's 100% obvious that the cops want a fight. They don't have their gas masks on for nothing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

> The Michael Brown Shooting: I WAS PINNED DOWN

"The curfew has been lifted", but you can't be outside after dark without risking arrest :raise:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

D Lambent posted:

And no one will do anything about it, no one will care, no one will be prosecuted, none of the cops are wearing identification or can be identified by anyone.

And that makes me feel ways that I never knew I could feel. I want to throw up being so close to this.

Yeah, that's something I haven't seen brought up much or explained. No cops were wearing ID or even their badges. That's sketchy as gently caress, and seems like something an officer would do if they intended to do something illegal and get away with it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

RPZip posted:

I didn't see this posted yet, although I only read through the thread for the past few hours.

Right wingers in this country have gotten less and less capable of holding their tongues, and are becoming quite open about what assholes they really are. Here's hoping they keep it up and lose all self awareness.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Seems much calmer, more like a party atmosphere from what I see on the Vice/I am Mike Brown streams. Apparently when cops don't act overtly confrontational you get much less trouble. Who would have thought?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, the cops are being very confrontational. They are not allowing any large groups to form and they're not allowing any groups to stand still.

Still not as confrontational as last night. 24 hours ago the police were lined up in the middle of the street in phalanx formation, blasting the LRAD at protesters and media and were begging for a fight. I don't see that tonight, at least on the streams I'm watching.

Edit: hope I didn't speak too soon.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

for gently caress's sake

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why it wasn't mentioned more often, but someone said something a few pages back about brown being in flip flops, while wearing socks (so they aren't the thong style that slip between your toes.)

How the gently caress are you going to charge anything with those things on your feet? Even if you kick them off, you're charging someone on concrete, with nothing but socks on. Why? That line of thinking is so loving retarded I just don't understand how anyone can latch onto it.

No matter what's on your feet, why would you ever charge someone that's over 20 feet away and pointing a gun at you?

Also, there's video of yesterday's officer-involved shooting in STL from beginning to end.

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU :nws:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Untagged posted:

Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available? Many don't. It can be pretty hard to effectively judge a situation in light of not knowing what may or may not have been available to an officer at the time of an incident.

Based on poo poo like this they really ought to do whatever's necessary to outfit every squad car with some sort of non- or less than-lethal weapon like a taser, stun gun or bean-bag rounds for the shotgun in the trunk. They certainly don't have a shortage of that poo poo in the local armory.

Aren't situations like in the video exactly what these sorts of weapons were designed for? When someone wants to commit suicide by cop, you're not supposed to oblige them without a second thought. You're supposed to preserve life whenever possible, at least that's what I've been led to understand.

Neo Duckberg posted:

There is an electronic sign that says "approved assembly area" really far from everything

haha gently caress me.

"You can practice your first amendment right to free speech and assembly, just as long as you do it where we tell you to, in this out-of-the-way location where nobody will see you."

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Did you guys discuss the released Kajieme Powell video yet? I only went back to 5-6 pages, but I may have missed it what with all this fantastic, interesting, on-topic discussion.

Just in case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU

It was posted yesterday and it was talked about extensively.

I really don't want to start another derail about it, but FWIW I've seen a few new points discussed about it today:

1. The police screwed up by pulling up too close to Powell in the beginning. If they were aware that he was acting erratically and was armed with a knife, they should have approached from much farther away to give them more distance and possibly more options for disarming him.

2. Before he was shot, Powell was positioned between the police and 3 bystanders. Since he knew this was going to end in a hail of bullets, he looked around, noticed the bystanders, then moved so he was between the police and a building instead. In a way, the suicidal man showed more concern for human life than the police did.

3. It appears that one of the backup officers that arrived a minute later did have a taser on him.

On topic, Nixon has declined to appoint a special prosecutor, and according to Antonio French the relationship between the community and the police is in such shambles that people are encouraging others to never call the police for any reason, because as they see it it just risks getting someone else killed.

I know it's pretty much an impossible task, but in order to have a functional police department that anybody in town trusts it has to be completely torn down and rebuilt from scratch at this point. On top of the trigger-happy brutality exhibited by the officers and the insane use of force against the protesters, research has shown that last year there were more warrants issued than people in town to issue them to, and that a large chunk of Ferguson's police revenue comes from traffic tickets and fines for minor offenses levied against the black community through constant harassment.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Here's the Ferguson PD's report of the "strong-arm robbery":

http://www.scribd.com/doc/236905827/Ferguson-Incident-Report

SIXTEEN loving PAGES of painstaking detail about a petty theft, no details at all about a homicide.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

http://www.thenation.com/blog/181357/exclusive-video-how-police-treated-residents-apartment-complex-where-michael-brown-was-k

The Nation posted:

Images of police officers using tear gas and rubber bullets on protesters this month have shocked the world, raising awareness of America’s increasingly militarized police forces, many of which are subsidized by the federal government.

While most of the photos from the Ferguson protests were taken on West Florissant Avenue, cell phone footage obtained by The Nation shows how the heavily armed police also made themselves known at Canfield Green Apartments, the neighborhood where Michael Brown was shot and killed on August 9. The video provides another example of the intimidation tactics so commonly used by law enforcement since the beginning of protests in Ferguson earlier this month.

The footage, captured by Canfield Green resident Marquez Larkin on the evening of August 13, features a line of about twenty police officers clad in riot gear, guarding the entrance of the neighborhood. Larkin said he and his brother, Khalil Fells, had just been herded back away from West Florissant at gunpoint.

They saw an unidentified man approaching the blockade of officers, walking back and forth at least three times. Larkin whipped out his cellphone and began to record. In the video, the man can be seen putting his hands up and yelling at the police before multiple popping sounds, which Larkin said came from police shooting rubber bullets, can be heard. The popping continues as the man turns around to walk away. Larkin and a crowd of spectators ran in the opposite direction of the police. Although it’s unclear from the video whether the man is shot, Fells said he saw him get hit in the foot.

Minutes later, a white woman approached the blockade, according to Fells. Although this moment was not captured on camera, another witness at the scene, Hakeem Ibery, also saw an “older white woman” approach the officers.

Fells observed, “Everybody clapped. They wanted to see what will happen to her. All [the police] said was, ‘Ma’am, can you please turn around?’”

She turned around and walked back to the crowd.

Post-racial America, everybody!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Even functioning dashcams are useless in the hands of the police if they are corrupt criminals themselves:

http://7online.com/archive/9440401/

quote:

BLOOMFIELD, NJ -- The tale of the police dashcam video has now helped clear a Bloomfield, New Jersey man who faced a multitude of criminal charges, including eluding police and assault.
Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace obtained the dashcam tapes, and has spoken exclusively with the 30-year old DJ who was looking at years in prison.

It was quite a turnabout, all the criminal charges against Marcus Jeter have been dismissed, and two Bloomfield police officers have been indicted for falsifying reports, and one of them, for assault.

A third pleaded guilty early on to tampering. It's all thanks to those dashcam tapes. It's the video that prosecutors say they never saw when the pursued criminal charges against 30 year-old Marcus Jeter .
In the video, his hands were in the air. He was charged with eluding police, resisting arrest and assault. One officer in the video can be seen throwing repeated punches.

Sarah Wallace: "It this tape hadn't surfaced?"
Marcus: "I'd be in jail."

This video was only turned over by Bloomfield police after Jeter's attorney filed a request for records; at the time prosecutors were insistent that Jeter do prison time.

This guy had his hands up as the officer repeatedly punched him in the face and yelled "stop going for my loving gun!" :stare:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Isn't this exactly an example of dashcams being massively useful in clearing a man and indicting the corrupt cops?

It proves that dashcams are massively useful in clearing an innocent man's name only as long as corrupt cops don't falsify police reports or sit on incriminating footage.

It's also worth pointing out that even two dashcams running at once didn't alter the cops' behavior one bit in this case.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

How the gently caress are you supposed to deal with a police force that shows utterly naked contempt toward the people they're supposed to serve?

quote:

As darkness fell on Canfield Drive on August 9, a makeshift memorial sprang up in the middle of the street where Michael Brown's body had been sprawled in plain view for more than four hours. Flowers and candles were scattered over the bloodstains on the pavement. Someone had affixed a stuffed animal to a streetlight pole a few yards away. Neighborhood residents and others were gathering, many of them upset and angry.

Soon, police vehicles reappeared, including from the St. Louis County Police Department, which had taken control of the investigation. Several officers emerged with dogs. What happened next, according to several sources, was emblematic of what has inflamed the city of Ferguson, Missouri, ever since the unarmed 18-year-old was gunned down: An officer on the street let the dog he was controlling urinate on the memorial site.

The incident was related to me separately by three state and local officials who worked with the community in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. One confirmed that he interviewed an eyewitness, a young woman, and pressed her on what exactly she saw. "She said that the officer just let the dog pee on it," that official told me. "She was very distraught about it." The identity of the officer who handled the dog and the agency he was with remain unclear.

The day brought other indignities for Brown's family, and the community. Missouri state Rep. Sharon Pace, whose district includes the neighborhood where the shooting occurred, told me she went to the scene that afternoon to comfort the parents, who were blocked by police from approaching their son's body. Pace purchased some tea lights for the family, and around 7 p.m. she joined Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, and others as they placed the candles and sprinkled flowers on the ground where Brown had died. "They spelled out his initials with rose petals over the bloodstains," Pace recalled.

By then, police had prohibited all vehicles from entering Canfield Drive except for their own. Soon the candles and flowers had been smashed, after police drove over them.

"That made people in the crowd mad," Pace said, "and it made me mad." Some residents began walking in front of police vehicles at the end of the block to prevent them from driving in.

[...]

Throughout the conflict in Ferguson, certain police tactics clearly helped escalate the long-simmering tensions in a city with a majority black population and mostly white power structure. One state official told me that people in the community saw the way Brown's body was handled as a deliberate act of intimidation, echoing the slavery era "when somebody was beaten or lynched and they made everybody come out and watch." With regard to the Ferguson police force, this official added: "They have an 'us against them' attitude, and they care nothing at all about the people who pay their salaries and that they have sworn to serve and protect."

The Ferguson PD have made it abundantly clear that they are not friends of the local civilian population. They aren't there to serve and protect, but to fine and control.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone want to see a black man get arrested and tased for sitting in front of a store waiting to pick his kids up from school? Well you're in luck!

quote:

A video showing the arrest of a black St. Paul man for allegedly sitting in a public space and refusing to give up his name surfaced yesterday, Aug. 26 — only weeks after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager in Missouri re-sparked the national debate on race and police profiling.

The video, shot by the man’s cellphone, shows his interaction with officers as he attempts to pick up his children from New Horizon Academy in downtown St. Paul. As the officers force the man to put his hands behind his back, he drops his phone and the video goes black, but the audio continues and we hear the man crying for help and proclaiming that his kids are watching. Both officers in the video are white.

“Why do I have to let you know who I am?” the man tells the first female officer at the beginning of the video. “I don’t have to let you know who I am if I haven’t broken any laws.”

From the following dialogue, it appears the police were called by a store clerk, who was upset over the man sitting in front of his store. The man in the video tells the officer he was sitting in front of the store for 10 minutes as he waited for his kids to get out of school, and that the area is public and he had a right to sit there.

“The problem was —” the female officer begins.
“The problem is I’m black,” the man fires back. “It really is, because I’m not sitting there with a group of people. I’m sitting there by myself. By myself, not causing a problem.

Eventually a second male officer approaches the man in the video and attempts to restrain him.

“I’ve got to go get my kids,” the man tells the second officer, pulling his arm away. “Please don’t touch me.”

“You’re going to go to jail then,” the second officer says.

“I’m not doing anything wrong,” the man replies.

At this point, both officers grab the man.
“Come on brother,” the man says, “This is assault.”
“I’m not your brother,” the second officer replies. “Put your hands behind your back otherwise it’s going to get ugly.”

Eventually the officers start to cuff the man and he drops his cellphone and the video goes black.
“I haven’t done anything wrong!” we hear the man yell. “Can somebody help me? That’s my kids, right there! My kids are right there!”
“Put your hands behind your back!” the male officer screams.

We hear the flicker of a Taser and the man screams out. As they move away from the cellphone, the man continues to plea to passersby to help him.

In the distance the scene calms down and the man continues to explain to the officers that he still hasn’t broken any laws, that he stayed calm, didn’t curse and wasn’t attempting to flee — making cuffing him and tasering him unnecessary.

“I didn’t do anything wrong. I’m a working man. I take care of my kids. And I get this?” we hear him say. “And you tase me. For what? I don’t have any weapons. You’re the ones with the weapons here.”

Does anyone here think the clerk would have called the cops over a white guy sitting in front of his store waiting for his kids? Or that the police would have treated a white guy like they treated this man?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Oh my loving god why the hell is this thread still obsessing over Europe and leg shots? We already ran that argument into the ground a hundred pages ago. I don't give a poo poo how much better Finnish cops are at picking people off without killing them, and I don't want notoriously trigger-happy American cops to be allowed any more justification for using their firearms then they already have.

In actually relevant news, it looks like the Feds are widening their investigation from the Michael Brown shooting to the whole Ferguson/SLC police force:

quote:

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. will launch this week a broad civil rights investigation into the Ferguson, Mo., Police Department, according to two federal law enforcement officials.

The investigation, which could be announced as early as Thursday afternoon, will be conducted by the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and follow a process similar to that used to investigate other police departments across the country, the officials said.

The announcement follows the shooting last month of Michael Brown, an 18-year-old African American, by a white Ferguson police officer, who claimed he acted in self-defense. Brown, who was unarmed, was shot at least six times on the afternoon of Aug. 9.

Holder’s decision will represent the Obama administration’s most aggressive step to address the Ferguson shooting, which set off days of often-violent clashes between police and demonstrators in the streets of the St. Louis suburb.

The federal officials said the probe will look at not only Ferguson, but other police departments in St. Louis County. Some, like Ferguson, are predominantly white departments serving majority African-American communities. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a pending investigation.

The investigation is in addition to a Justice Department probe into whether Officer Darren Wilson, who fired the fatal shots, violated Brown’s civil rights. The new probe will look more broadly at whether the department employed policies and practices that resulted in a pattern of civil rights violations.

The Washington Post reported Sunday that five current and one former member of the police force face pending federal lawsuits claiming they used excessive force. The lawsuits, as well as more than a half-dozen internal investigations, include claims that individual officers separately hog-tied a 12-year-old boy who was checking his family mailbox, pistol-whipped children, and Tasered a mentally-ill man to death.

This poo poo is absolutely loving disgusting and goes well beyond nit-picking over when cops are allowed to pull their guns out.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Meanwhile, right-wing racists scrambling to posthumously smear a murdered teenager continue to make up theories about how Brown really deserved to die, only to have those theories slip through their fingers like sand.

Earlier today Charles C. Johnson's pet theory that Brown was convicted of 2nd degree murder as a juvenile blew up in his face. Now there's another myth starting to make the rounds on social media that this is a picture of a hospitalized Darren Wilson, when it's actually a picture of motocross rider Jim McNeil (who died in 2011) after an accident suffered in 2006.

They're barely trying anymore, as that looks almost nothing like Darren Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

So has anyone shared the video with the 911 synced with the security footage?

http://www.abc22now.com/shared/news/features/raw-news/stories/wkef_vid_189.shtml

Shooting occurs around 5:37. There's about a second, maybe two, between the police officer saying something and shooting.

It looks like he's actually placing the BB gun down. Was he shot before or after that?

I guess it doesn't really matter. If it was before, it means the police were grossly incompetent and went in guns blazing without even attempting any verbal orders. If it was after, they just flat-out murdered a kid for absolutely no reason.

Meanwhile people that look like this:

can purposefully carry real and fully-loaded rifles into a bunch of stores purely to stir poo poo up and cause a scene and none of them are ever gunned down or even mildly inconvenienced by police officers.

• Locked thread