Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Kojima and Del Toro are all over this. The design and sparse story is totally weird Kojima-stuff and the imagery is really reminiscent of The Devils Backbone and bits of Pans Labyrinth. If this is scary and weird and not just 'SH2 plot-rehash with dull paint-by-numbers rust aesthetic' I'll start going to church again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Some guy walked to the phone in the final loop and got the call by just standing there a short while. What did he do that 99% of other players did not.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ryoga posted:

I was enjoying this until creepy rear end lady dashes through me in the hallway. Then a few seconds later starts strangling me from behind and throws me to the ground. As the screen goes black you hear some shuffling and tearing noises before being reset the the empty room at the beginning. Caught me off guard so bad since I honestly didn't think this would be a game where you could actually die in.

Yeah. Yeah. My heart actually hurts now.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
Many people have pushed past this part but for those stuck in the section with "Hello!" by the phone - Keep looking back and forth at the Hello by the phone until you just have "o!" That'll put the word "Hell" on the wall by the front door, which unlocked the next bit for us.

MrSpiffy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 14, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

MrSpiffy posted:

Many people have pushed past this part but for those stuck in the section with "Hello!" by the phone - Keep looking back and forth at the Hello by the phone until you just have "o!" That'll put the word "Hell" on the wall by the front door, which unlocked the next bit for us.

I think there's more to that portion than just that. When I was watching that lady's stream archive in the OP, I noticed that the letters to HELL weren't appearing at that message by the front door all at once. At one point it was just an L, at another point it was HEL, and every time she'd reset the loop they'd all go away.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I hope the game also takes place in the same realistic/banal type of environment as the teaser. I think normal houses have the potential to be a lot scarier than flesh colored sewers.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I wish the ending wasn't as finnicky as it sounds like it is. I got through the whole thing without spoilers up until the very end and the stupid phone which would never ring for me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

At the end: Once the chimes start, take ten steps and then come to a complete stop. I've gotten the first baby laugh to trigger three times now this way, can't get the second.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

1stGear posted:

If nothing else, its nice to know that he's genuinely involved with the project and Konami isn't just namedropping him. Kojima is far from a perfect game designer, but he's certainly not boring or typical. Any Silent Hill game made by him will...well, it'll be something.

I'd be very surprised if Del Toro was anything more than a name drop, though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

the black husserl posted:

I hope the game also takes place in the same realistic/banal type of environment as the teaser. I think normal houses have the potential to be a lot scarier than flesh colored sewers.

Silent Hill has always been about middle America. But yeah point taken.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

I'd be very surprised if Del Toro was anything more than a name drop, though.
Nah I think Del Toro really wants to help make a horror game. He had that one survival horror game with THQ planned, Insane, before he they went bankrupt.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's written books, made films and even some comics I think. Dude puts in work.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The second baby giggle requires the microphone on the ps4 to be recording.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Them saying the the entire final game won't be like this is exciting because it means that while Konami has Kojima running around saving some other game people will dick around and accomplish nothing for a year straight on this before Platinum saves it in eight months.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Them saying the the entire final game won't be like this is exciting because it means that while Konami has Kojima running around saving some other game people will dick around and accomplish nothing for a year straight on this before Platinum saves it in eight months.

Would play a Platinum action game would you control Pyramid Head.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pirate Jet posted:

Would play a Platinum action game would you control Pyramid Head.

New skin for Revengeance.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

^^^^^ This ^^^^^
I was fruitlessly wasting time before I hooked up the mic that came with the PS4.

The object you have to stare at is different for everyone or for each new room, unsure of which. It was the clock for me both times I finished.

What I did was:
1. Wait anywhere for midnight, walk 10 steps exactly = baby giggles.
2. Wait again for the second haunting, Go to the radio, phone, mirror, clock, stare at it while saying random bullshit into the mic = second baby giggle.
3. Wait in place until the controller finishes vibrating for the third giggle.
4. Go to the phone, and hold R3 until it says you're chosen.

I've seen solutions where they say to keep up noise constantly but I didn't do that, so I don't think that's the key. Just say hello or something several times until the haunting ends.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Comrade Flynn posted:

A while back someone thought it helps solve puzzles if you were streaming . This might make sense since a stream might have someone with a mic on.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Me and a mate played this last night and like most were stuck on the last section for a long time. To be honest I couldn't tell you what we did to trigger the phone ringing.

However, this morning he sent me the following from IGN. Hoping this helps all your guys and girls who are stuck:

Two clues lead people to figure the final puzzle, first, Kojima said to use a headset while playing the game, also, almost everyone who completed the game were people who ere broadcasting.
But it wasnt the broadcast, it was the microphone. So to make the baby laught you have to do as follow.
First, stand near the clock until it hits midnight, and wait until the first ghost dissapear. After than, do ten steps and stop, you will end by the bathroom, this is the only way to be sure to get the first laught.
Second laught, you need to connect the headset and make noises loud enough so the game thinks you are screaming.
So it seems the last puzzle is not using the mic, or make loud noises, is being scared, thats why it says you have been chosen, is like saying you got scared by the teaser so you are worthy of watchin the trailer and invited to play Silent Hills.
In the final level is easily to get scared the most, by the walking ghost, by the possesion or even getting killed by it after you get possesed, Kojima expected you to be screaming loud enough and then receive the call that says you were chosen because you got scared. The baby giggles are a sound of approval.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do you guys have nerves of steel or what? I can't imagine playing a game like this in the dark with headphones. I could barely watch the twitch stream during the day through my lovely laptop speakers.

Seriously I was watching someone aimlessly walking back and forth trying to get something to trigger on Twitch last night and just the sound of that woman crying endlessly made me extremely uneasy (granted the baby in the sink was kind of goofy).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

quote:

Dad was such a drag. Every day he'd eat the same kind of food, dress the same, sit in front of the same kind of games. Yeah he was just that kind of guy. But then one day he goes and kills us all. He couldn't even be original about the way he did it. I'm not complaining...I was dying of boredom anyway. But guess what? I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me.
Haha I think this is Kojima addressing us directly, sort of the in same way as when Big Boss says "Kept you waiting, huh?" He's lamenting how boring and samey games are, perhaps commenting on how SH games have become Western-style third-person action games. And by "new toys" he must mean the Fox Engine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also project morpheus where you move the flashlight around with a PS Move.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Ularg posted:

Also project morpheus where you move the flashlight around with a PS Move.

No. No gimmicks. Please.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Wheany posted:

No. No gimmicks. Please.

It's really no different than how P.T. played. You're just swapping the right thumbstick for the move. But that's assuming it doesn't change into the more traditional third person game its predecessors were, which would probably be most likely.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hmm, reading the replies in this topic makes the game seem to be a super tedious and completely unintuitive gameplay experience, where all you do is exhaust every possibility to advance.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Gortarius posted:

Hmm, reading the replies in this topic makes the game seem to be a super tedious and completely unintuitive gameplay experience, where all you do is exhaust every possibility to advance.

Kojima has announced that the teaser was designed this way purposely so it would potentially take a while and a group effort to totally crack. It was purposely obtuse so people would have to talk about it online and share their experiences and (surprise) create some free marketing for the game. He also explained that it does not represent the gameplay of the actual game.

I'm not a huge fan of the Metal Gear games but I appreciate Kojima's general nuttiness. I think a horror game provides the perfect platform for his skill set and fondness for loving with players. The teaser is pretty incredible when you pick it apart and analyze it. It's just two hallways and a tiny bathroom and they managed to craft an incredibly tense and thrilling experience around it. This same approach applied to a full game seems really exciting.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kojima is a loving crazy person and Del Toro has a really strong visual aesthetic to his flicks. They could make an absolutely amazing pair for a "Give no fucks, do whatever you want" Silent Hill design team. Like the franchise was pretty much caught in mediocre sequel hell, just give it to them for a hail mary to make it relevant again. If they fail, so what? Can't be any worse than they were doing.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

It might have seemed cheesy for some but when the alarm went off and I went to check it, as I got closer to the middle of the hallway I saw the ghost lady in the beam of my flashlight and her doing the Jacob's Ladder impression. Scared the gently caress out of me.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Kojima being behind it sorta makes me excited for the extra game stuff. Silent Hill games (at least many of em) have awesome easter eggs for people who wanna see all the endings and wacky weapons.

I fully expect some odd MGS shenanigans on the 4th New Fear playthrough.

Imagine Kojima doing a UFO Ending. :ducksiren:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

the black husserl posted:

You may be interested in SH4: The Room

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
One of Kojima's very first ideas for a game was an action game that would delete itself when you died. Not delete your save, delete the entire cartridge.

That was back when he was a newbie that nobody ever heard of, so nobody would let him do it.

Now he's one of the biggest names in the industry.

What I'm getting at is that Kojima is insane and you should never try to guess what he's going to do. He enjoys actively loving with the player both in-game and out.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

zenintrude posted:

You may be interested in SH4: The Room

And the first 20 minutes of Gone Home before it becomes clear you're just reading an e-book with very elaborate page flipping animations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wheany posted:

No. No gimmicks. Please.
No! Don't ruin it for everyone else.

I would absolutely love to play something like this with VR and move. Holy poo poo that would be scary.

I would be concerned about accidentally throwing my cat through the window if she touched me at the wrong time though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ularg posted:

Here's a thing, I think:

I love the mysteries in Horror, but I cannot stand the horror itself. I just die instantly from the dread. This sucks.

I'm like going insane searching for clues online with the 204863 or whatever the number was repeated in the radio. I ain't gonna sleep at all tonight. All I got was Brandon, Manitoba in Canada.

The staff listing at the end is very interesting. Most of the names are Metal Gear veterans that have been working with Kojima since at least MGS2. Others were more recent additions to Kojima Productions in that they came from other parts of Konami (DDR/Suikoden/Pro Evolution Soccer) during MGS4's development. Jorge Lescale is from the new Kojima Productions LA studio. The new hires are ex-Square-Enix/Tecmo-Koei/From Software employees. There are also some freelancers as well that have hopped around Japanese studios.

As for the original core members of Team Silent members (SH 1-4), it doesn't look like any of them are on involved. We know that a very small number of them, such as Silent Hill character modeler Shingo Yuri, worked on Ground Zeroes as artists and programmers. However, the rest of them have been harder to track.

Most of them have left Konami, such as Akira Yamaoka who is now at Grasshopper. Masahiro Ito left Konami to freelance but still worked as on the 'post-Team Silent' Silent Hill comics/games as a consultant (and he said he was willing to work on a Silent Hill game with Kojima on Twitter). Masashi Tsuboyama (Silent Hill Art Director) worked on a DSi game for Nintendo and hasn't been seen since. The ones that remain are scattered across Metal Gear, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Konami's mobile games division. A few of them worked on Neverdead before falling off the map. It's really sad to see such a talented team scattered to the four winds. I hope some of them find their way back to the project in some form or another.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat it. I'm just going to wait a week for the internet to sort this. I don't think I can take getting killed by the ghost any more.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Speedball posted:

drat it. I'm just going to wait a week for the internet to sort this. I don't think I can take getting killed by the ghost any more.

You don't have to wait at all...it was solved within hours.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

You don't have to wait at all...it was solved within hours.

It was "solved" in hours but no one knew exactly how to repeat it. From the giant blocks of spoilers above, it looks like that's been fixed.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Speedball posted:

I thought she was supposed to kill you the one time, does she get you more times?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
There is no functional difference between finishing the teaser and getting to the final puzzle and getting stuck and then looking up the ending.

In fact, since its already been revealed, the ending is the worst part of the teaser.

poor nose posted:

I thought she was supposed to kill you the one time, does she get you more times?

I think she'll attack again if you load your saved game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

poor nose posted:

She can get you a bunch of times, if you keep waiting for the moaning and chase her around the hall. Die, wake up, listen to the meatbag, repeat.

• Locked thread