Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Correct

Vega is at 35%, let's see if we can minmax this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Keep quiet.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Keep quite You would have to be mental to start an argument infront of the client. Unless you can offer a clarification point that makes it clear that you did the worst without bald facedly staying it.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
It was a tie between Correct and Stay quiet so I tossed a coin and we corrected.

How dare he try and take credit, mother fucker posted:

You start talking before Cass can speak. "Thank you," you say, though nobody addressed you. Just keep moving your mouth, and you should be fine. "We were surprised to discover this yesterday. The more information we have, the better."

"I would have preferred," Smith says, "to learn this earlier." But he doesn't press the issue.

Stone smiles. You don't know why, and that worries you. Vega, for his part, goes pale.

The boss wants to talk... posted:

The nightmare ends, and you, Vega, Stone, and Cass wake in a fortieth-floor conference room. Vega stands, brushes off his jacket, and excuses himself quickly. Cass rises, flushed, obviously struggling to keep herself under control. She rounds the table, but before she can reach you, someone speaks.

"Mr. Cavendish. I find myself desiring coffee. Would you care to accompany me?"

It's Stone. And from what you know of partners, this doesn't sound like a request.

"Of course, sir."

"Actually, I have a meeting with Ms. Chen. Maybe in half an hour?"

Stats posted:

John Cavendish

Charm: 72%
Craft: 37%
Cunning: 11%
Determination: 20%
Sleep: 65%
Gunner: 34% Socialite: 66%

Soul: 2447
Debt: 82000

Ngabe: 37%
Chen: 56%
Wakefield: 64%
Vega: 28%
Varkath: 40%
Nebuchadnezzar: 20%
Stone: 44%

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Of course

Let's not make the rear end kicking worse.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
His opinion actually went up so he seems happy.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Of course, sir.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Of course.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Do not turn the boss-man down.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

The Boss Man Cometh posted:

"Excellent. Shall we?" He motions you ahead of him. As you turn to go, you see Cass disappear around the corner. She's obviously upset, but what else were you supposed to do? Stone's name is on the front door.

Stone leads you out of the building, into sunlight and cool autumn wind. You try, unsuccessfully, to remember the last time you were out during the day. Mystic circles and demonic invasions have become more normal to you than the sun.

Stone stops at a Muerte Coffee a few blocks away. There's a line straight to the door, and the two of you wait there, not talking. By your estimate of Stone's billing rate, the ten minutes it takes you to reach the counter would cost something on the order of three thousand thaums.

You get your coffee to go. Stone takes a right out of the shop door, and leads you further from the office.

Hmm... posted:

When he turns the corner, he says, without preamble: "So. What do you think of Mr. Vega?"

"He's a good man. Ambitious."

"He tried to take credit for my work."

"I don't think of him."

"What do you think of him?"

Stats posted:

John Cavendish
Craft: 37%
Gunner: 47% Socialite: 53%

Chen: 51%
Stone: 55%

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

He's ambitious. I can relate.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"What do you think of him? No, no, ignore our transparent deflection of the question."

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Ambitious. We want our own credit, but no reason to throw him under the bus.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
I don't think of him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't think of him. :iceburn:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
"I don't think of him."

Harsh, but John could end up in charge eventually.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I don't think of him. :iceburn:

Yup. We never even heard of him until now, so it's entirely true!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

We don't think :downs:

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Inner Company politics Huzzah! posted:

Stone frowns. "You should. A Craft firm is a partnership, yes, but it's also an arena. Never let a man take credit for your kills."

"Of course not."

"Vega," Stone says, "is Nebuchadnezzar's protege. Her pet associate, recently raised to counsel. He wants to join the partnership. This is his first big case."

He says this flatly, without accent or anger. And yet.

You sense bitterness behind his words. "Don't be afraid to defend your own work," Stone says. "Even if it means fighting dirty. Not everyone at the firm is entirely pleased with Vega's meteoric rise."

"I don't understand what you mean, sir."

"I'll do my best to undercut him."

"There's room enough at the top."

"So long as it doesn't keep us from serving the client."

Stats posted:

John Cavendish
Craft: 46%

Chen: 51%

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
So long as it doesn't keep us from serving the client.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I will cut him :histdowns:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Serve the Client

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The client comes first. And I swear, sir, my nose was always this brown!

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Basically our client is a dick posted:

"Ah, yes. The client. Have you, Mr. Cavendish, spent much time in the presence of our honorable client, Mr. Smith?" He pauses, for effect—he knows you haven't. "Perhaps if you had, you would feel somewhat less concerned for his well-being. There are stranger powers in the world than those we wield."

He drains the rest of his coffee. "I need to get back."

Cass is upset posted:

Stone doesn't speak more on the way back to the office, or in the elevator. You get off on your floor, and return to your office, pondering the brief conversation.

This is all too familiar. You know the dance—you've seen your parents pass through a version of it every social season. One of your earliest memories is of Grandmere warning your mother to hide her contempt for a society "friend." You'd expected the trades to have slightly less tolerance of such maneuvering. Perhaps you were wrong.

Tiresome.

It must be possible to be a partner in a firm without miring yourself in skulduggery. Mustn't it?

On the way to your office, you pass Cass Chen's.

She's pacing, with a sheaf of papers in one hand, but she is not reading the papers. Her footsteps are heavy with anger.

Cass can take care of herself.

I should encourage her.

I should help her learn to play the game.

I should ask her what's wrong.

No change in stats there.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Bootstraps, Cass! Figure it out yourself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Yo, what's wrong?"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

We totally know what's up, let's mentor her.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
help her learn to play the game

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Teach her how to play Game of Lawyers.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

When you play the Game of Lawyers, you win or you are disbarred.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Let's talk about it first, so, Cass, what's wrong?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Take a clue Chen, next time this happens...

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

The game of life has many rules posted:

Her office door's open. You slip through, and wait patiently. She doesn't seem to notice your arrival, pacing back and forth.

"You have to learn," you say, and she jumps. Did she really not notice you were standing there? "This is a game. There are rules. Getting upset about the rules is like getting upset when someone castles in a game of chess."

She continues pacing. "I always hated chess."

"I did something very dangerous back there. It was a risk, and we won't know for a long time whether it paid off."

She sighs. "Vega's a jerk."

"He's a fine person, I think. Just in a bad situation."

"He certainly is that."

"We'll get the best of him somehow."

"Don't worry about him. We can get through this if we stick together."

Stats posted:

John Cavendish
Craft: 46%
Cunning: 19%

Chen: 46%

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

"Don't worry about him. We can get through this if we stick together."

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Did we just lose relationship with her to get a few points of cunning? Arghhh...

'We'll get through it together' I guess. I'd like to select number 3 to get more cunning, but it seems more important to keep her relationship high with our cunning cratered regardless.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 30, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Baby, I'll be the Sonny to your Cher.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
By the by, the Steam version of this just went up if folks want to play it themselves. $2 seems pretty reasonable given this level of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

malkav11 posted:

By the by, the Steam version of this just went up if folks want to play it themselves. $2 seems pretty reasonable given this level of writing.

I hope this means they've made enough on the awful, awful Hero Project games that they'll start putting up the rest of the actually good poo poo, like Life of a Wizard and Mecha Ace.

Want Mecha Ace on Steam so bad.

*Edit* Oh god, why am I reading through their guide to using the choicescript programming language, this is a terrible idea.

*Son of Edit* I doubt anyone is reading my edits here, but reading through the programming guide is actually pretty interesting, and not just from a "How I make game?" perspective. The commentary they make reveals a lot of their design strategy: they teach you how to implement a fake choice, for example, before they teach you how to call one specific section of code at various points in your game file. After they teach you how to do that, they then go on to stress that a more complex game is harder to make, but may not be any more fun to play.

In an earlier section where they revealed how to call a random number, they also state that random numbers are no different than secret numbers to a first time player, and most players don't replay things anyway so you're better off using a set secret number.

Not going to lie, I'm really tempted to set out to make the most complex program I can make with this thing, while still making it playable. I dunno.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread