Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
There is no I in Team.
Meat, yes. Me, right. Mate, okay.

But no I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Summarily dismissed after finding something really dangerous in the thing this guy has been working on? Not suspicious at all.

I'm not going anywhere, thanks.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Baby, I'll be the Sonny to your Cher.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

malkav11 posted:

By the by, the Steam version of this just went up if folks want to play it themselves. $2 seems pretty reasonable given this level of writing.

I hope this means they've made enough on the awful, awful Hero Project games that they'll start putting up the rest of the actually good poo poo, like Life of a Wizard and Mecha Ace.

Want Mecha Ace on Steam so bad.

*Edit* Oh god, why am I reading through their guide to using the choicescript programming language, this is a terrible idea.

*Son of Edit* I doubt anyone is reading my edits here, but reading through the programming guide is actually pretty interesting, and not just from a "How I make game?" perspective. The commentary they make reveals a lot of their design strategy: they teach you how to implement a fake choice, for example, before they teach you how to call one specific section of code at various points in your game file. After they teach you how to do that, they then go on to stress that a more complex game is harder to make, but may not be any more fun to play.

In an earlier section where they revealed how to call a random number, they also state that random numbers are no different than secret numbers to a first time player, and most players don't replay things anyway so you're better off using a set secret number.

Not going to lie, I'm really tempted to set out to make the most complex program I can make with this thing, while still making it playable. I dunno.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 30, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Together forever and ever and always...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So in my quest to maybe possibly someday make something with the choicescript system that isn't complete poo poo, I just finished re-writing their rather poorly written list of commands, instructions, and examples of how to Make Game, and saved it in my Choice Script folder as How This poo poo Works.txt, so I can reference it and not their website later.

I did this for two reasons: One, I remember things better and develop an understanding of how they work when I actually write it down in my own words and, Two, their explanation is full of their lovely design philosophy and seriously, who wants to read that?

So that's step one down.

For step two I intend to do something a little bigger:

I'm going to write a working version of the character creation system for one of the Elder Scrolls games.
(Or, at least, one that creates a character one could use in one of the games, and lets you either answer questions to determine your stats (and I will be using the questions every game used up through... Morrowind, I think? I think that's the last time they used that. I can't remember if Oblivion used it, and I know Skyrim didn't.), or manually choose which skills to have as your primaries and secondaries, and set their levels as appropriate.)

I am so, so going to regret this.

Lazaruise, thank you for your encouragement. You're doing a good job of presenting this, and I hope you don't think I'm trying to steal your thunder here.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The guy tried to gently caress us over once already. This could be a good opportunity to show him how this team poo poo works, but that's assuming we don't completely gently caress it up by not kicking it to upper management.

This is some serious poo poo, too serious to gently caress up by worrying about stupid petty bullshit. Bring it to Stone.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Kindly fornicate your own orifices.

Yeah, that, that right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, she's just danglin' that rope out there for us to hang ourselves, isn't she?

It's good to stretch before strenous exercise. Like running the hell away, for example.

• Locked thread