Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Reagan Hennessy (The Mummy)
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: None

Come to think of it, Chris never told me where he was from. "Pardon me? Why wouldn't you be worrying if Mr. Keen could recognize your spell?" Oh, don't tell me there was an whole group of magicians from the other world right under my nose. "I can't imagine he would report to anyone aside from a mundane authority." But there was still much for me to learn about this era. Also, it appeared that we had other concerns.

Willing the door to unlock would have been more effective (if more risky), but I make the obligatory and futile attempt at opening it manually, anyway. "Great. That's just what we need." I giggle in spite of myself. "There's probably a couple hundred pounds of teenager between us. Want to try and force it open?" Yeah, I'm pretty tiny.

There is a voice outside. Aimi? What was she doing here? Oh, well. We obviously needed help. And even without that whole lecture, I'd rather use magic as my option of last resort. "Yeah! We're locked in!"

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Crispian "Chris" Caius Avilius Constantine
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions: None

I get up to follow Reagan down to the door, and give it a try myself after she fails to get it open. After verifying for myself that it was locked, I take a step back and say to Reagan in a voice low enough hopefully not to carry, "So, what do you want to do?" In a louder voice, I call back to Aimi, "We could try forcing it I guess, can you see how sturdy the lock looks on that end?"

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Eat my words," I whisper back. Initiate configuration of Juggler Sigil. "Help me with the door, will you?" I reach over to try the knob again.

Sigil Enhance Complete.

Execute Reality Breach. A glimpse of a different world appears before my eyes. Or, more accurately, a different perspective of the world at large. Symbols. Possibilities. Energy. Through the chaotic whirlwind of the clock tower's mana flow, I spot the lock, mechanism and all. Telekinetically undoing the mechanism would require line of sight, as well as time and work I would rather not put in. Instead, I rewrite the "locked" property as "unlocked" when Chris gives the door a good push.

Then I wrench myself away from the sight of, well, everything. "Sorry." I'm breathing hard. That always takes a lot more out of me than I expect. "That was just plain hypocritical. After dragging you out here, too. I didn't want us stuck in here when..." I make the universal hand gesture for a phone call. "...you know."

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 21, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Condition: Terrified

I grin. I can't help it. "Ah, finally! Honesty!"

I lean in close. "Whatever you want from me, my dear..." I lean down and kiss Aly's hand. "Would you like to be swept away? I have special sweeping training."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 | Integrity 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Hon...honesty? W-well, at least he didn't think I'm weird or laugh or...yeah! And his smile is just...oh gosh, it's infectious and I'm smiling this big goofy smile and then he kisses my hand ohmigosh and I try to say something but the only thing that comes out is a lot of squeaking and stammering and aaaaaa i'm flustered again and it's embarrassing and-

"Sweeping training? Like...i-is that, um...like, like sweeping with a broom, or the kind, you know...the kind princes in stories do?" ...don't get me wrong, littering is bad! It's really bad and so many people just don't care and use the Earth as one big wastebasket and it's horrible and they're the worst! But...

But I'd like a prince. That's not selfish, right?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron

"The latter, generally. Shall we go?" I draw Aly in close, and hold them carefully by the waist, tilting them back into the classic dancer's rest. "I'm getting sort of hungry after everything. Know somewhere? My treat, of course."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Aimi Kuromura
Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

I don't get a chance to answer Chris when all of a sudden, the padlock clicks opens on its own. And he bursts straight out of the door.

"Aaah!"

Not the weirdest thing that's happened to me today, I hate to admit.

"Phew. I guess the groundskeeper didn't lock it all that well?" I say, quickly rationalizing that moment away. I look at the two, bewildered. I sort of want to drag Reagan out already, yet something else nags in my head.

"...why were you both inside here for that long?"

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Is she implying what I think she's implying? "No. It wasn't that." I frown at Aimi. "And I would appreciate that you get that thought out of your head immediately." I sigh, and hand Chris the fallen padlock. "Was there something you wanted?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

I get the idea pretty fast, and wait until I can feel the magic start to flow around Reagan before I give the door a shove. A bit harder than I meant too, uh oh! I tumble out of the tower, and crash right into Aimi, landing sprawled against her.

turn Kei/Aimi on
[14:47] <godfish> !r 2d6-1
[14:47] <Krysmbot> godfish, 10-1 = 9

As soon as I get my feet back under me, I take a few hurried steps back, slightly red. "Sorry! I guess the lock wasn't too good after all." I turn a bit redder at her suggestion, and shake my head. "Oh, no, we were just enjoying the view." To cover my growing embarrassment, I take the lock from Reagan, and turn to reattach it on the door and click it locked again.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

"Um."

I can't help how my voice gets all small and meek and kind of dreamy when he puts an arm around my back and kind of dips me (aaaaaaaaaa) and it's kind of embarrassing! Way to be a big dork, Alyosha.

"I, I-I like eating places!"

you're not being any less embarrassing Alyosha

"That is, ehe, eating in places. With food. I like places with food." I give him this hopeless, helpless look and stop digging the hole deeper stay quiet for a few moments before--oh! I know!

"...how do you feel about pizza? I, um, I know some people...have you met Tony Pepperoni? He gets a really scary look in his eyes when you talk about pizza, and some other people are like that too, so I hope it's okay to talk about pizza with you, but...but Colombera Pizza is really good! Or we could, um, we could go to Dear Cat-astrophe Waitress! ...gosh, I hope you're not allergic to cats..."

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Soft

"See you around." I manage to get out, with a blank look on my face.

"Hey, where are you going?" I shout to Andrew, who seems to have taken a sudden interest in the dojo. "The house is past the dojo."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Aimi Kuromura
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"H-hey, I just thought... never mind." I blush shyly, still recovering from that collision with Chris. I'm pretty sure Aimi would do the same thing in my place, and that's a good thing. I would probably do this with more stuttering and apologizing.

I choose for Chris to take a string... on Aimi the NPC. :D

"Anyway! Er..." I shuffle a few steps backward and regain composure. "I just wanted to pull Reagan aside for a minute or so, if you don't mind. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Uh, no. No, you weren't." Just to drive the point home. I walk over to Aimi. "What did you need?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Aimi Kuromura
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

I grab her by the arm just as she says "need".

"Please don't freak out." I say quietly, turning my back on Chris. "It's me. Um, it's Kei. You know... you lend me your uniform and ask me sometimes to take over your shifts in your parent's cafe. Even though they give you a lot of breaks and make you go outside for some reason..." Hoping that's enough to convince her, I turn to Reagan with a pleading look. "Um... I need your help. Also some advice, if you're not busy."

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"I...believe you." To a point. What Kei just said would be difficult for someone else to learn. I walk a bit closer and lower my voice. "I might have something to deal with, here, but I can't be sure. What do you need me for?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Aimi Kuromura
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"Uh... boy advice. And maybe getting back at someone who's stealing him from me right now."

This sounds a lot sillier now that I put this in words. Also I know already said something about keeping character, but Reagan already knows about me, so keep quiet.

I look back at Chris. "Do you... want me to change my clothes and meet you somewhere? Uh, I was gonna go in the club as Aimi earlier and take over but everything sorta fell apart by the time I came back..."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar
Harm 1/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Delusional, Heartless.

"Well, lead me there then! I was going to the closest place!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron

The smile becomes vaguely frozen. "Um, all of those sound wonderful, except..."

Aaron hesitates a moment. "What's a cat?"

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Soft

We reach the house; Gramps is in his room, reading. Have I mentioned he was a tailor before he retired?

"Make yourself at home. Need another ice pack? How're you planning on getting home today, anyway?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar

"By walking, isn't that obvious?" I say while raising an eyebrow at Makoto. "And no... I shall just take a quick rest before I start my quest for Lady Holly again. The dojo that teaches the way of the Archer... Methinks it's related to the case! And of course there is the fact that I need to meet of Aaron." Of course, there is the matter of getting hold of him. I do have his 'cell number', or whatever kind word they use for those contraptions that take the place of mental telepathy on the mortal plane.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Soft

"Gramps would tell you the dojo teaches the art of reflecting upon one's ineptitude and chillaxing. Anyway, I'd be happy to give you a tour."

EDIT: Since we ended up not going, tour blather moved to location description.

Xom fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 27, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar

He practices Archery? Well, not all mortals are useless in a fight, it seems. "I don't have time for tours... I just need to... Rest for a bit. Yes. Then look for Lady Holly."

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I give him an incredulous look. D-does he really not know what a cat is?!

"...you know, a cat is a cat! Small, fuzzy, pointy ears, likes to curl up in your lap? Meows? Purrs?" I, it's not weird that I meowed up at him and purred a little after I said that, right? I just don't want him to get the wrong impression about cats, that's all!

Also I've sort of been practicing but people gave me weird looks that one time when I actually did it at the cat cafe and ever since I've been really apprehensive so I never get to do it a-and I just cat bear it .w.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

It might easier than dealing with Chris' problem, but not quite so urgent. "I'm not a great source of boy advice." For starters, my so called marriage was arranged. And few of my subsequent affairs ended well. "Well" defined as both of us being alive when all was said and done. "Now, revenge, I can handle. But Chris might still need me. Just a moment." If nothing else, we can stay in touch by text.

I turn back to Chris. "How were you planning on handling this?" It would be wise to know what Mr. Keen is up to. He might have noticed my abilities, as well.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cal

"Well, clearly, we need to break in. The question is how?"

I lean up against the wall, appearing to be deep in thought. Truth is, the only thing I'm considering is how likely I am to be able to slip into the spirit world without anyone thinking something's up.

Sorry about late post, will have a better one up probably tomorrow!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I give Aimi a shrug as she tasks to borrow Reagan for a minute, then get back to relocking the door. I'm a little curious about what she wants, did she run out of the clubroom a little bit ago crying? She seems to have recovered fairly well. Why'd she want to talk to Reagan then though? I hadn't noticed them knowing each other particularly. Whatever.

Once I've locked the tower up again, I turn back to face the pair of them and lean against the door to wait for the conversation to end. Once Reagan heads back, I lower my own voice to reply, "I suppose I could try scrying him to see if we can figure anything out, but it isn't really uh... my strong suit. I don't suppose you're much good at it?" Actually, if she noticed my spell that easily, hmm. "Say, do you know anyone else around her can do magic? Might be good to form a club or something."

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Scrying isn't something that comes up often." Asking around usually gets things done, and with much less of a headache. His question about other magic users gives me an idea, however. "Funny you should mention that." I turn back to Kei, hopefully for the last time. This back and forth nonsense is starting to grate on me. "Is this urgent? Chris and I are in the middle of something, but if you could spare the time to help us, we'd be glad to return the favor." I lean a little closer to her. "By the way, he's not all that dissimilar from me. Though it would be fairly safe to explain your gifts to him, I will not ask that of you."

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 27, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Cal

Just as you lean your head on the wall, Vincent pushes the door open. "Nosferatu's sake Rox, couldn't you just go around?"

"It's important!" she retorts. "Jen pulled a story from the zine. We need to see them for a sec."

Vincent crosses his arms. "So that's how it is. You care more about the zine than Francie?"

"gently caress off." She nudges her way through the door, but Vincent takes her by the arm.

"You're some friend, y'know that? Ditching her just to hook up with some fucktoy."

Roxy growls and clenches her fists. What about you?

Andrew/Makoto

Makoto's grandfather (Hitoshi) walks into the room holding his reading material, as well as another hastily-printed pamphlet sort of thing. "Makoto-kun, have you read this news? Stan Landry gave this to me. Seems this Holly girl is in trouble." He looks up at the clock. "Other younguns are meeting at the pizzeria very soon, to search for her."

He places the zine on a bookshelf, then begins to exit before stopping to ask, "Will you be staying for dinner?"

Milo/Zoey

After meandering a bit longer, you finally make the trek to Milo's loft, situated above Colombera's Pizza proper. Milo, how would you describe your home? How does your mother arrange everything?

Francesca is already putting the finishing touches on your dinner, drizzling the top layer with... soy sauce? "I've prepared something wild tonight: Lasagne Jiaozi, Dumpling Lasagna! All the comfort of a home-cooked lasagna with the tang of ginger and scallions. It just came to me. Oh, I'm sure you'll love it. It's the, oh, fusion I've been hearing about. This is going to be fantastiosa!"

To her credit, the dish is definitely shaped like lasagna, unlike her other valiant efforts. It lacks cheese, instead opting for a thick peanut-ginger dressing. Despite all this, it still reeks of garlic. What will you do?

Chris/Reagan/Kei

Coach Torres walks in and out of view grasping a paper bag, glancing nonchalantly in your direction. Otherwise, situation normal, getting juicy.

Aaron/Aly

Aaron, are you curious about this animal Aly has presented for you?

Aly, what you just did really sounds like a Turn On. Care to try your luck?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Aimi Kuromura
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5

"...Is he?" I lean in with clear interest. "Is that how the padlock... huhhh..."

I tilt my head to the side and stare over towards Chris', probably longer than I should. All I know about this guy is that he steals stuff from other kids' bags for no apparent reason. You're telling me that he has... spooky stuff going on like me and Reagan? Does that have to do with being a klepto? Who goes to school doing that sort of thing, anyway?

Better question... would I trust this guy with my secret? I don't know. It's not like I want everyone to know what I can do, of course. But the chance to learn someone else's weird secret and pull their clothes favors out of them? Too good to pass up. Besides, Reagan vouches for him. And I trust her. To a point.

"Can you... introduce him to me, then?" I ask quietly, after a long pause. "I'm not really at good this. You know, revealing secrets. I mean, we stumbled into each others' by accident and..." I trail off with an awkward laugh. And I should stop talking before I look like an even bigger dork. Instead, I take off Aimi's glasses and dig into my pockets for my own. Might as well do my part.

Kei will dissipate her magic as soon as Reagan points it out, I suppose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Milo Colombera
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 0, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Milo-kins

Our house is pretty simply decorated, though that's only because Mom hasn't been able to unpack all of her flair yet. The furniture is arranged neatly to maximize floorspace and is kept neat. Well, except for the kitchen. Mom's lab shows all the telltale signs of experimentation, and that experiment is sitting on a plate right in front of me and Zoey.

"This is what I meant. Just....just eat it."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Zoey, the Harpy
Hot -1, Cold. 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1 Darkest Self
Harm 1/4; Exp 3/5; Conditions: Callous, Hair-Triggered, Cow

I looked at the offered... something first with puzzlement, then with horror.

Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 3+2 = 5

The peanut sauce. It was too much. There was too much of it. Something. How could the pizza downstairs and this monstrosity come from the same hands? Everything was so salty, and yet so sickeningly sweet, and yet also garlic-spicy? I looked to Milo with pleading eyes - how diplomatically did he usually handle this?

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 30, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Milo Colombera
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 0, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5 | Conditions: Milo-kins

Krysmbot Waffleman, 7-1 = 6

Oh man, this is bad. Who combines peanuts and garlic anyway? Tears well up in my eyes as I force my bite down, gagging a bit. "Nnngh...I'm sorry."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar

Wait, they are meeting at the pizza place? Then there is absolutely no time to lose! I start to run out of this house and in the direction of... Hm, there was a mortal whose parents owned a pizzeria on the club. Therefore... Yes, the Colombera place. Truly, the netherworld's finest deductive mind has solved this mystery. But yet, there is something I need to confirm. I pick up the cellphone and call Aaron.

"W-why I wasn't informed that you were doing a strategy meeting for Lady Holly?"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Well, if you insist. oh gosh I hope it's okay for me to make another post for this Rolling +hot!

(9:55:30 AM) ningyou: !r 2d6+2
(9:55:31 AM) Krysmbot: ningyou, 7+2 = 9
(9:55:33 AM) ningyou: YES
(9:55:36 AM) ningyou: gently caress YES

Oh gosh, what if I'm being unclear and he gets the wrong impression about cats and...oooh, that would just be awful! So I look up, and I give him my best needyadoringmeek kitty eyes, and I mewl like I'm asking him the most important question in the world without any words, just like the cats at the cat cafe do! "...so it's like that, okay?"

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 28, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron

I find myself blushing. drat me, I can't tell if their ingenue act is an affectation or the real deal, but either way innocence is rare in Thrain. Some part of me desires to devour it as one does a perfect... apple, savoring every part. I thrust that thought out of my head, but the flush doesn't leave my face.

Well, can't complain about fair play.

"I... I see. Well, um... How about we go there, then? I have much to learn about this plan-place, and could use some time with a delightful guide-"

My phone rings. Andrew. I casually hang up and send a text. On a date. Please continue your search- I grope for an accurate term- zealous classmate, and I will rejoin your group as soon as I am finished.

The phone goes back in pocket. No distractions during a proper mutual courting. "The Cat Cafe- catfe? It is, my dear. Shall we?"

Take a string! Cats like strings, right?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Cat-astrophe Waitress Cafe

As you enter the establishment, you catch the eye of several cats, turning their heads not to you but to the bell that rings above the door. A couple of them purr in anticipation.

One of the waitresses peeks quickly at you, then covers her face with a menu. Being the only waitress currently on the floor, she's obliged to serve you. "Just two today? This way please."

She waves her hand in the general direction of an empty two-top for the two of you, upon which an orange tabby sits and stares at Aaron. She turns her head to Aly and whispers in her animal tongue, "Why he smells so weird?"

The waitress (Judith, obviously) sets two menus down on the table, leaving one to again cover her face. "Our specials today are minestrone and our seasonal pumpkin spice latte. Be right back to take your order." She walks off in a hurry.

The tabby tells Aly, "She so scared, so silly." So how are you taking things?

Andrew, Aaron totally just shot you down. How do you react?

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar

Did... Did he just hung up on my face? Son of a She-Cerberus, I'm going to burn his spaceman heart with a blaze unseen in all of the planes! I send him back another message.

WND: im going to the colombera cafe
WND: if you are not there you are gonna regret it
WND: i dont stand liars!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5 | Soft

"I think Andrew and I are going to head over there. Thanks!"

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"The padlock was me, actually." I turn back to Chris. Just remember, Reagan, you brought this on yourself. "Chris, I'm telling you this secret in good faith, and because someone gave me permission to. I'm assuming you can keep it to yourself?" I wait for him to answer in the affirmative before I continue. "There's already a magic user with us." I give Kei a nod.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I watch Reagan with some curiosity as she appears to be playing some kind of game of telephone between Aimi and I, then blink and nod at her request. "Alright." It's a lot easier to keep someone else's secret than your own. Generally.

As she reveals it though, I turn slightly to stare directly at Aimi, then look back at Reagan in surprise. "Aimi, really?" Is she joking? Actually, now that she mentions it, I can feel the hint of a something around her, a glamor maybe, on hang on a se-wow what, "Kei?" That was kind of crazy, I couldn't sense it at all until it was fading, and seriously, what were the odds? Three magic users in one club, and two of them are cute girls, drat. "How'd you do that, that was amazing!?" Was this secretly a magic school or something?

• Locked thread