Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Wish I'd see this thread earlier. My wife and I picked up an infestation on a trip to NYC, specifically at a cheap motel we stayed at near Newark Liberty Airport. Mistake #1: choosing cheap lodging in a large urban area.

The bugs didn't show up until maybe 3 months after our return home. My wife got the worst of the bites, since they ended up making a home in the bed headboard nearest to her side of the bed, specifically in a book she'd begun, placed in a cabinet built into the headboard, and forgotten. I would get the occasional bite, but hers were daily. Occasionally we'd find a dead bug, but shrugged it off (we lived in DC at the time, bugs happened) and stupidly didn't investigate further. We'd been in the process of trying to move to a better apartment and just shrugged it off as more evidence that we needed to get out. Also, the way that my wife reacted to the bites made it look like she just had a bad case of shingles. Her doctor didn't even figure out it was a bug's bites. It wasn't until 5 months later that I found the book and we began the process of exterminating the suckers.

We have a cat, so a non-toxic treatment was a necessity. We used this webpage, helpfully provided by my alma mater, to treat the infestation: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/bedbugs.htm

Thankfully, it was July when this finally occurred. We shut off the AC, shuttered the windows, took the cat, sprayed a non-toxic spray we got at Home Depot ( http://m.homedepot.com/p/EcoRaider-16-oz-Natural-Non-Toxic-Bed-Bug-Killer-Spray-Bottle-EB1RM50016/204404045 ), and took a week's vacation. When we returned, we had to ditch the bed since it was wooden and had holes that could still contain eggs. I also placed painters tape over every wall crack I could find. We sprayed the baseboards regularly and bought a metal bed frame. They never returned.

My #1 prevention tip for anyone in a major city is to buy a metal bed frame. You don't want them to have a place to hide near where you sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread