Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008
I am a landlord and I had to treat a 7-unit building for bedbugs. One tenant started complaining and she is a bit of a slob and I know her relatives come and visit often from parts unknown, so I was giving her a hard time about it. Then I asked around to see if it had spread. Everyone else said "no bedbugs" except for the tenant directly below her whose unit is absolutely disgusting. He said, and I quote, "oh sure, I got those little buggies!"

It turns out that the downstairs tenant had them for over a year and was using over the counter foggers to try to get rid of them. Well, these tend to drive the bedbugs away from the fogger, but do not kill them. The end result is that his self-help pushed the bedbugs upstairs into the other tenant's unit (and maybe elsewhere!). The upstairs tenant was innocent here.

I talked to a lot of pest control professionals and ended up tenting the whole building with vikane gas, which is the same as used for termites, but a higher concentration. It was also for longer period than used for termites. I considered heat, but that was a per unit charge and the cost for 2 units would have been almost as much as tenting the whole building. Also, i would have had no guarantee that the bedbugs were fully eliminated from inside walls or in other units that had not noticed/complained yet.

This was over a year ago and so far so good. In any case, good luck. I would push your landlord to pay for it if you are in a rental. There is a website called the bed bug registry which keeps a tally of apartment buildings and hotels that have bedbugs. you might want to consider that when travelling or renting, or perhaps mention to your landlord that it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread