Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I was on vacation for the past week in a cabin in the woods. On the first night, I thought I felt something crawling on me, but my wife convinced me it was just paranoia and I let it go. Unfortunately, on the last night I actually found one of these fuckers in the bed. I am sure it was too late and that at least one got into my luggage. I notified the rental agency of it, and am expecting a call back from their management tomorrow*, so I don't know what they are going to say about it yet, but regardless, I want to conquer this before it even starts. Here is what I have done so far:

1) both my suitcase and my wife's suitcase are in the far stall of our three car garage
2) I immediately washed all of my clothes I took with me in hot water and dried twice on the hottest drier setting
3) I immediately washed any of her clothes she took with in hot water and dried twice on the hottest drier setting, if the clothes were safe with those settings
4) the remainder of her clothes (lots of actually nice poo poo) are in a garbage bag in the same stall of the garage
5) I am going to vacuum every day for a week or two and store the vacuum outside.

I plan to freeze (for two weeks) or possibly dry clean all of her nice stuff. I am not sure what to do about the shoes. I am going to put suitcases into black garbage bags and set them outside for two weeks in January.

My questions are thus:

1) Is a three stall, concrete and unheated garage floor likely to be enough of a distance that the bugs won't get out of the stuff that is waiting to be frozen and make it into the house?
2) what do I do about her car? The bags were in it for ~12 hours while we drove home.
3) what is a reasonable expectation of the rental agency? I'm pretty sure they are going to offer to comp the entire stay, but if I accept that, is that then indemnifying them against any future cleanup costs? Does it matter?
4) I don't think we have any bites on us, which to me says the infestation of the cabin was probably minimal. Does that bode well for me?

*I caught the one bug, put it in a solo cup, and left it in the freezer of the cabin. The girl at the desk was mortified by the conversation, but she is just a staff member and isn't a decision maker. I did get quite a few pictures, but definitely left the evidence behind (and good loving riddance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I would be shocked if they comp the entire stay. Unless you agree to indemnify them (i.e. sign something), you are not agreeing to anything. As shocked as I would be if they would comp the entire stay, I would be downright floored if you were able to get absolutely anything out of them for treatment of your home, car, clothes, or otherwise. I don't know that I've ever even heard of that happening.

A couple hours at 120F will kill both bugs and eggs. If you leave the suitcase in the car in the sun (depending on how hot it is where you live), there are no bugs left. You may be able to deactivate the auto-shut off on a heater and get the car to 120F even when it's not hot outside.
Since it's not a standard hotel and they are selling an "experience" I truly believe that they will do anything to avoid a bad yelp review.

Since we are now deep into fall, there is no chance of a car in the sun getting to 120 where I am for at least 6 months, unless we have a freak hot day.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

Would love for you to follow up and hear what their response is.
They are refunding the cost of my stay.

• Locked thread