Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
We currently use an Avaya IP system for our phones at my company. We have a third party company manage the system and they will do everything from create a new user, to change and extension, to figuring out why our fax doesn't work...again. As the IT director one of my jobs is obviously finding where we can trim the budget fat and these guys aren't doing me any favors so I would like to get rid of them.

I want to either:

A. find a cheaper (hopefully better) third party Avaya supporter to take the contract

or

B. Learn how to manage the drat thing myself which I don't think should be too difficult

I come from a light programming background and have also programmed some Asterisk in my day so I am wondering if it is feasible for me to learn the system enough to do the day to day administration within a reasonable amount of time. Or is this system so loving convoluted you need to attend Avaya college for several years to be able to accomplish this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I don't know exactly what kind of Avaya system you have, so I can only make general comments.

They're not usually that complicated. Depending on the type of system, there's either a way to manage it through a web interface, or you have to telnet/ssh in and control it through a text-based GUI thing (which is annoying to work with, but also not hard). They also have pretty decent documentation for a lot of their stuff.

I don't actually manage these things myself, but I write software that does some of that stuff. If you have more specific questions, I may or may not be able to answer, but I'd be happy to try.

hamburger necktie
Jun 7, 2004

I'm watching
When I worked with Avaya, we had a piece of software called Avaya IP Office Manager. It was pretty simple to use, and had a fairly easy interface to understand:

We originally only had it installed on a single server that we would RDP into to change settings, but I managed to find the installation CD and put it on my workstation. It scanned the network, found the Avaya box, and I just had to enter the user/pass and it worked as good as ever.

I would recommend trying to find that and familiarize yourself with it.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
^ Brilliant! Thanks for the screenshot also, we do indeed have the IP office manager. I don't know how easy it will be for me to obtain the admin credentials because I am sure these guys aren't keen on losing their contract but I am very comfortable with both the GUI and SSH/Telnet sessions so it looks like it should be a snap.

• Locked thread