Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

imagine the future when robots keep around humans only to shitpost... your № of empty quotes determines your lifespan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

a hole-y ghost posted:

imagine the future when robots keep around humans only to shitpost... your № of empty quotes determines your lifespan...

p. sure that was a Justin Timberlake movie

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I like that artificial brain thing they had some good ideas about how to do it.
Basically the mammal brain is divided into repeating cortical columns, columns of like 1000 neurons. This basic unit is the building block, mammal brains essentially repeat this block as needed.

so these guys started out by running a simulation of one column. It was a bitch but they got it to work. Then they linked a bunch of columns together in a way that matched some part of a rat's brain. When the turned the simulation on, nothing happened. It was essentially brain dead.

They spent a long time figuring out what the hell was going on. The answer was brainwaves. Brains have a periodic signal that crosses the entire brain. Once they began inputting this sweeping signal to their virtual rat, all the columns began "waking up" and after a few minutes they all started working exactly as in a rat. Indistinguishable from a real rat.

They basically put together a dead rat and then Frankensteined it into life. Pretty loving sweet IMO

cyber-rat's thoughts: why can't I hear or smell or see or feel anything oh god I'm trapped in a suffocating void of nothingness this is a living hell

gj scientists, always inventing new ways to torture rats

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

besides, to compare to something more like beetles: take an ant. a single ant does not know how to build an entire colony. it only knows its role. but a colony of ants can build a sprawling colony in the optimal location and systematically construct self-repairing trails to food and prey which learn to avoid predators and hazards.

e: again we come back to "we cannot build an artificial brain because we cannot understand our own minds, which is an undeniable truth because..."

it's an undeniable truth that there is a ceiling to how much creativity humanity can crowd-source. after the biosphere and civilization, the human brain is the most complex structure in the known universe. if you can name an entity nearly as complex as the human brain that we have "solved" i'll be ready to believe in the omnificence of man

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

butplug accident posted:

it's an undeniable truth that there is a ceiling to how much creativity humanity can crowd-source. after the biosphere and civilization, the human brain is the most complex structure in the known universe. if you can name an entity nearly as complex as the human brain that we have "solved" i'll be ready to believe in the omnificence of man

so what you're saying is that we will never fully understand the brain or be able to emulate it? generally the naysayers when it comes to technology are wrong. as long as there aren't any natural laws preventing us from simulating a brain (there aren't) i see no reason why we shouldn't be able to do it given enough technology.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mulefisk posted:

so what you're saying is that we will never fully understand the brain or be able to emulate it? generally the naysayers when it comes to technology are wrong. as long as there aren't any natural laws preventing us from simulating a brain (there aren't) i see no reason why we shouldn't be able to do it given enough technology.

We don't need to emulate a full brain

The tasks that we're talking about are already easily automated. There's a loving robot flipping burgers out there, right now. Same robot looks like he's folding shirts and other poo poo

Accountants easily replaced by some software, IRS auditors can probably be replaced easily with more software, doctors will be replaced by a computer who will probably not arrive to work loving high on self prescribed pills or drunk like Dr. House, lawyers will get one of those Lawyerin' robots instead of hiring 20 interns to read a million mind numbing emails, Retail workers are already being tested vs self checkout lanes, drivers of any kind are gonna die too, etc.

Eventually all businesses that will be left will be guys who repair the robots when they break down, but since you already have a loving 3d Printer that prints other 3d Printers, that won't last forever either

We thought nobody could beat the mighty chess player russian and that was back in the 90's

we're hosed, we're hosed! Get out now! Sell, sell, sell!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if anyone of us could actually correctly predict the future of human technological progress we would be making billions on the stock market and loving models in the bahamas, not posting about it on forums

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Mulefisk posted:

i'm saying we'll only be able to create AI that learns like a human when our human faculties are so unrecognizably complex that the existence of human AI would have no important practical consequence on society anyway. it is hyper specialized robots that are the future and which will inevitably supplant workers

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

butplug accident posted:

i'm saying we'll only be able to create AI that learns like a human when our human faculties are so unrecognizably complex that the existence of human AI would have no important practical consequence on society anyway. it is hyper specialized robots that are the future and which will inevitably supplant workers

yeah so what the hell are we going to do once that happens

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

yeah so what the hell are we going to do once that happens

hope you die before the domestication of the human race is complete

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
im imagining an army of undying securibots keeping post-historic tribes out of zucotti park

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bolian Blues posted:

cyber-rat's thoughts: why can't I hear or smell or see or feel anything oh god I'm trapped in a suffocating void of nothingness this is a living hell

gj scientists, always inventing new ways to torture rats

obviously it was just having a happy dream about cheese an loving other rats

huskarl_marx posted:

im imagining an army of undying securibots keeping post-historic tribes out of zucotti park

i read some story outta the old weird tales where there was this robot society with mythical rumors about creepy animal people. They were like normal metal people, right, but get this -- made out of meat. The only way to injure them is with a wooden stick or spear, their mystical organic bodies are impervious to metal implements of all kinds. You can hear them, sometimes, in the wilds of the world. Late at night, in the furthest desert reaches or in the deepest jungles. The creepiest part, the sounds they make are almost like... speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

i read some story outta the old weird tales where there was this robot society with mythical rumors about creepy animal people. They were like normal metal people, right, but get this -- made out of meat. The only way to injure them is with a wooden stick or spear, their mystical organic bodies are impervious to metal implements of all kinds. You can hear them, sometimes, in the wilds of the world. Late at night, in the furthest desert reaches or in the deepest jungles. The creepiest part, the sounds they make are almost like... speech.

what was it called?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Morkyz posted:

what was it called?
your mothers life story

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

your mothers life story

i;m offended

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I didn't, because readin is for faggets

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I wish a robot would replace the guy talking. What a lovely stupid voice. gently caress him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

That sounds awesome, reminds me of They're Made Out of Meat.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
SA Forums Robot took my job, burn Lowtax the filthy robophile!

Also emulating the human mind is probably a way off, but there have been some pretty interesting papers written on how the processing power of computers is beginning to rival that of the human brain. I remember reading one paper about how roughly $1000 dollars in today's money (or whenever the paper was written) will be able to buy a computer with approximately the same parallel processing power as the human brain in 2025.

Imagine what 2025 is going to be like. Some nerd is gonna 3d print out some poor fuckdoll, pop that robobrain in there, wire it up to some speakers and poo poo and just let rip. 2025 is gonna be the first year for robot murder-suicides.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Morkyz posted:

what was it called?

Dunno it was in one of the "Best of Weird Tales" anthologies that came out, but I'm not sure what one. It's either "Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies" (the one with a dude & smoke monster cover) or "Best of Weird Tales" (green tentacle alien cover). I can't even find tables of contents

don't go to weird tales website. The current owners are actually some kind of hosed up scam people with malignant links but also their site gets hacked all the time. As far as I know it's literally impossible to subscribe to the currently produced mag. I guess they were ripping off writers and all kinda poo poo, it's a shame I would subscribe to a print magazine in the digital age if it wasn't some bullshit.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I didn't, because readin is for faggets

:classiclol:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Buck Turgidson posted:

SA Forums Robot took my job, burn Lowtax the filthy robophile!

Also emulating the human mind is probably a way off, but there have been some pretty interesting papers written on how the processing power of computers is beginning to rival that of the human brain. I remember reading one paper about how roughly $1000 dollars in today's money (or whenever the paper was written) will be able to buy a computer with approximately the same parallel processing power as the human brain in 2025.

Imagine what 2025 is going to be like. Some nerd is gonna 3d print out some poor fuckdoll, pop that robobrain in there, wire it up to some speakers and poo poo and just let rip. 2025 is gonna be the first year for robot murder-suicides.

in some ways the 'processing power of computers' are vastly more powerful than the human brain, such as in crunching numbers and whatnot which is why computers are used for computer programs.

but hardware is not the issue, it is our ability to design a human mind that can understand actual concepts, store memories, understand and form sentences, have emotional responses to events, that sort of thing. and we have basically gotten absolutely nothing done in this respect.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kyrie eleison posted:

in some ways the 'processing power of computers' are vastly more powerful than the human brain, such as in crunching numbers and whatnot which is why computers are used for computer programs.

but hardware is not the issue, it is our ability to design a human mind that can understand actual concepts, store memories, understand and form sentences, have emotional responses to events, that sort of thing. and we have basically gotten absolutely nothing done in this respect.

Counter-argument: Science pushes boundaries.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Why do we need to build robots at all? Just make sweet technology that augments humans in productive ways (like, say, a version of Google Glass that isn't lame - or make an exo skeleton to replace a forklift, etc). It seems easier to improve us with technology than to go off trying to produce the mythic AI that is as smart as we are.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Why do we need to build robots at all? Just make sweet technology that augments humans in productive ways (like, say, a version of Google Glass that isn't lame - or make an exo skeleton to replace a forklift, etc). It seems easier to improve us with technology than to go off trying to produce the mythic AI that is as smart as we are.

because humans are loving annoying destructive unreasonable idiot divas that can be replaced with some gears and visual basic

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah bro um people have been doing this for thousands of years. Heard of this sweet tech called 'clothing'?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kyrie eleison posted:

Dude a big part of it is hardware. The reason it's so hard for people to do math quick or find the 70,000th prime or whatever is because our brains also have to run a whole goddamn body at the same time. To match the whole human brain you'd need an insane giant supercomputer the size of a stadium, gently caress what a whore to even just power the thing on.

If they made it from rat neurons to whole ratbrain to whole catbrain, there's a pretty good chance they'll make it up to whole peoplebrain and then what, what the gently caress then. Those computer people'll be real rear end people. They would count as people and be alive. They would have souls eleison, they would have motherfucking souls.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dude a big part of it is hardware. The reason it's so hard for people to do math quick or find the 70,000th prime or whatever is because our brains also have to run a whole goddamn body at the same time. To match the whole human brain you'd need an insane giant supercomputer the size of a stadium, gently caress what a whore to even just power the thing on.

If they made it from rat neurons to whole ratbrain to whole catbrain, there's a pretty good chance they'll make it up to whole peoplebrain and then what, what the gently caress then. Those computer people'll be real rear end people. They would count as people and be alive. They would have souls eleison, they would have motherfucking souls.

and worse, they would wamnt the vote. i say, gently caress the robot people vote. we dont need it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when enough people are out of work kids will stay home in the tent with them and watch school on stolen ipads.

endless summer. good times.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

anime avatar

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Frostwerks posted:

and worse, they would wamnt the vote. i say, gently caress the robot people vote. we dont need it

Vote TruthBot for prez!*
*black and white image of truth bot* what's he hiding vote effect-or to get thing done
I'm goddamn sick of these cyber commercials

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i would go "all the way" with a sex robot

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

butplug accident posted:

4. THE DELTAS: This set-up will engender its own contradictions class societies always do. Bill Gates to the contrary notwithstanding, frictionless capitalism is an oxymoron. There'll be plenty of potholes on the information superhighway. Every class will contribute a portion of drop-outs, deviants and dissidents. Some will rebel from principle, some from pathology, some from both. And their rebellion will be functional as long as it doesn't get out of hand. The Deltas, the recalcitrants and unassimilables, will furnish work for the Betas and tabloid-type entertainment for the Gammas. In an ever more boring, predictable world, crazies and criminals will provide the zest, the risk, the mystery which the consciousness industry is increasingly inadequate to simulate. VR, morphing, computer graphics -- all very impressive, for awhile, but there's nothing like a whiff of fear, the scent of real blood, like the spectacles nobody did better than the Romans and the Aztecs. The show they call "America's Most Wanted" -- that's a double entrendre. Societies don't necessarily get, as some say, the criminals they deserve, but nowadays they get the criminals they want.

Sounds great, so when can i start?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

toggle posted:

i would go "all the way" with a sex robot

the sex robots in almost human were loving sexy as poo poo i would too

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i mean they were played by super hot weomne so... yeah

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Can horses do accounting huh? huh?

Then it cannot take my job.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

kind of but not really. it's because neurons don't have as large of a difference between the threshold of "on" and "off," therefore they require much less energy than a traditional CPU, which uses a beastly amount of energy per transistor, however because there is less ambiguity present due to the large difference between the voltages of a 0 and a 1, much more accurate calculation is possible on a traditional CPU because of the relative lack of accidental firings.

but yeah, there is definitely a hardware limitation. simulating a human brain on a traditional high voltage CPU would be ridiculous.

e: so what I was getting at is that a human brain dedicated to just doing math would still not be as quick or accurate as a traditional CPU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

a hole-y ghost posted:

kind of but not really. it's because neurons don't have as large of a difference between the threshold of "on" and "off," therefore they require much less energy than a traditional CPU, which uses a beastly amount of energy per transistor, however because there is less ambiguity present due to the large difference between the voltages of a 0 and a 1, much more accurate calculation is possible on a traditional CPU because of the relative lack of accidental firings.

but yeah, there is definitely a hardware limitation. simulating a human brain on a traditional high voltage CPU would be ridiculous.

e: so what I was getting at is that a human brain dedicated to just doing math would still not be as quick or accurate as a traditional CPU

energy is seriously not the problem. it's not like we've got a really great AI programmed but oh, standard binary processors aren't good enough. the opposite is true. we have massive hardware capabilities, today, but no software that can create an AI.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

makes for some rad marketing tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30x4wfphTuE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

energy is seriously not the problem. it's not like we've got a really great AI programmed but oh, standard binary processors aren't good enough. the opposite is true. we have massive hardware capabilities, today, but no software that can create an AI.
we can't have programmed a natural-ish AI without hardware on which it's possible

• Locked thread