Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Parallax Scroll posted:

i didnt see it so idk

You should. Best use of 3D I've ever seen and it was a ton of fun. Chris Pratt rules. The raccoon was also the most dramatic character, and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
It had its moments but failed to create or sustain any real tension, probably due to its "phantom menace"-esque action sequences. I couldn't really relate to or care about any of the characters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

You should. Best use of 3D I've ever seen and it was a ton of fun. Chris Pratt rules.

lol the knife part made my friend jump out of his seat like a dork

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
goon can't grasp the concept of subjectivity

news at 11

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
green bitch hawt op.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nonsense posted:

lol the knife part made my friend jump out of his seat like a dork

I was more impressed by the scene with the glowing floating flower things. It was like that once part in Prometheus except done correctly and with emotional impact.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Novo posted:

It had its moments but failed to create or sustain any real tension, probably due to its "phantom menace"-esque action sequences. I couldn't really relate to or care about any of the characters.

It wasn't particularly good at allowing sufficient breathing room for the audience to re-evaluate what was going on.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 642 days!

Novo posted:

I also had trouble building a strong emotional connection to the CGI raccoon.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Cesar Cedeno posted:

I also had trouble building a strong emotional connection to the CGI raccoon.

I had the exact opposite reaction. He was my favorite dude because he got drunk and real. Bradly Copper is also very good at his job.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 642 days!
I'll say this, all the actors/voice actors for this film put in a serious amount of effort considering it's silly generic summer blockbuster poo poo, but it works.

The film is both entertaining and pretty funny at parts. With how miserable and lovely the world is these days, it's nice to see a well done lighthearted action flick. Helps break up all the news of butchered civilians in Iraq and kids being shot dead here at home.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

ladyboy pancake posted:

how long do you think it will take for Goons to start hating Guardians just to be contrary im giving it a month.

gently caress i hella overshot my predictions

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk it looks like a piece of poo poo from the trailer

I bet Dredd is way better

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

vin diesel is basically the best

Moridin920 posted:

I bet Dredd is way better

yep

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Rocket Raccoon did far far far more to save lives than Superman did in Man of Steel.

Him a quality raccoon dad.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
no there are lots of idiots who like to watch kids films for literal children. hosed up baby men

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's fun to watch once but kinda dumb and bad

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CousinKevin posted:

it's the only good marvel movie, but the worst james gunn movie so eeeehhhh???

He wrote and directed this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAumnOvgzY
:nws: for animated cat masturbating to human owner, facefucking, tubgirl anal explosion, also a woman is violently stabbed to death by children

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 14, 2014

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
super heroes are simplistic and shallow because they were originally aimed at boys aged 8-12 LMAO

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I liked guardians of the galaxy as a joke because those are the only kind of jokes that the OP can understand and I like to see his sad little smile.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
haha chris pratt likes 70s music (because of CANCER MOM), that one guy doesn't get american colloquialisms, unlike other aliens for some dumbass reason.

also way to waste lee pace in some dumbass role, guys.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

shiksa posted:

also way to waste lee pace in some dumbass role, guys.
the hallmark of the marvel movies isn't post-credit scenes, it's wasting good actors as generic villains

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Well written movie that doesn't take itself too seriously but doesn't play off as some Leslie Nielsen spoof? A lot of good comedy and decent action scenes?

How pedestrian.

Suck my Groot, OP.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I laughed at turd blossom

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
OP is legit a gay buttbaby

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

shiksa posted:

haha chris pratt likes 70s music (because of CANCER MOM), that one guy doesn't get american colloquialisms, unlike other aliens for some dumbass reason.

lol you're seriously and sternly trying to poke plot holes in a fun summer action movie.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
dance-off OP, you and me.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
lots of uncultured plebs in here defending their kids movies. if ur going to defend it please tell us how much marvel movie merch *aka kids toys) u got.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
people that claim to hate popular things just to be counter-culture/contrarian legit suck, OP

if GotG had only made 15 mil in the box-office you'd probably be slobbering all over its D

edit: i also like all the other posters in this thread with their standard "it was okay BUT blah blah blah" bc you're obviously vaguely worried about the same BS

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 14, 2014

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

:agreed: op

i was literally shaking when the lady blasts a hole up into the space ship making opening the doors pointless. I got so MAD when the good guys made the shield to block the bad guys space ship. I mean wtf? they could of just shot it.

at that point i spat my popcorn out in disbelief.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked that during the climax of this movie for children, the main character refers to the antagonist of the movie as a female dog; this is consistent with what a child would do in such a situation

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

it was good, somehow the characters that should be least relatable had the most satisfying arcs and they really pushed the friendship theme whilst still having the characters be dangerous killers

also there was lots of good physical comedy and jokes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gamora, far as I understand from my single viewing of the movie, is an alien life form who was daughter to this overlord of villains that trades her to his lackey Ronan. Ronan is the film’s main villain who is tricked into letting Gamora retrieve the orb even though she plans to betray him. All right, it’s all good so far. Gamora seems like a kick rear end female character who has depth and understanding of a world bigger than herself.

However!

She is also knocked unconcious twice. The first time she hangs limply among her soon-to-be-friends while they are all conscious. And the second time she is damseled in that Peter Quill has to save her. Peter Quill also convinces those incarcerated with them not to kill her.

Yeah, I hate that she is damsel to our main protagonist. But it’s more than that. Our only main female character is also the butt of misogynistic jokes, tropes and slurs.

Rocket tells her to prostitute herself.

Peter Quill, naturally, is her love interest.

Drax the Destroyer calls her a whole slew of names- I recall the words “Wench” and “whore”

Groot, thank god, doesn’t talk. So he’s the only one who doesn’t seem to treat her inherently differently on the basis of her gender.

The way she’s treated is gross. And though her outfit isn’t ridiculous for combat. I am entirely sick of female characters being the teeny tiny armorless figures amongst a ring of men who are easily seven or eight feet tall.

All of the women in the movie are the same petite and generally muscle-less figures who are downright dimunitive next to their male counterparts. We see their physical difference plainly. Plus! we apparently can have alien men of all different shapes and sizes and appearances but heaven forbid our women are anything but tiny with big eyes. Even the aliens are the same carbon copies of each other.

More than that, mosst of the women in the film are dead. I mean, Peter Quill’s mom dies first thing in the film and Drax seeks to avenge his dead wife and daughter.

Luckily enough, some of the women who aren’t dead are all love interests YAY. I love it when women are included as love interests… Not. The first woman who we see is all legs and all together un important. Most of the women in Peter Quill’s life are- what a great hero we have who talks about his sexual conquests and bases their worth on appearance even going so far as to downplay a woman’s unattractive appearance as inherent justification in why he wouldn’t be interested in her.

And then we have the slave girl to the collector. Karina? I think? Not like it matters what her name is because all she really is a slave in a mini skirt and pig tails to a disgusting character known as The Collector! Oh yea and she DIES. I was actually really excited when she grabbed the infinity stone in order to eradicate her slaver but naturally the power is too much for her and she dies and he lives…yay.

If that isn’t enough to clue you in on the truly pathetic way women are represented in this movie then I don’t know what is.

I don’t even know what else to include. Should I talk about the patriarchal structures? Should I talk about how the only ‘fanatic’ in the movie is the villain? Should I talk about how Ronan seems perfectly justified in hating thos he tries to destroy because they decimated his people and no one in the movie recognizes this?Should I talk about how every black person had their faces painted (except for one) while many white characters kept their faces just as they would appear in real life? Should I talk about how literally no other races were represented?

well no, cause I have to go to work.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Costello Jello posted:

lol you're seriously and sternly trying to poke plot holes in a fun summer action movie.

its not really plot holes its more jus really really bad general writing but whatever

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

I liked the movie ...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
goon doesn't like popular thing

cool goon

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
i haven't seen it yet ... can somebody list trigger warnings for me?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

a friend said it was good for a marvel movie and thats when i stabbed him in the eye with a fork

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

SirEvelynTremble posted:

• fighting trees
  • mysoginy
  • ablism
  • comic book baby bullshit

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.

SirEvelynTremble posted:

• Cool Good Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I hope the writers of Mystery Men sue.

• Locked thread