Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That said, Germany ruled that it was child abuse and I ain't ever heard any strong points to the contrary. If you wanna mutilate you're children, chop parts of them or scar them or whatever as is your custom, that's cool by me. Stick a spear into their small intestine, have them suck older dudes cocks or whatever your old dead men told you was right and good in your culture, I certainly wouldn't wanna speak against that lest I become a Cultural Imperialist.

Germany never ruled that the circumcision of male infants was "child abuse". It was a normal § 223 case and the fact that there is now legislation that explicitly name circumcision as covered by parental rights is a strong argument against the nation of Germany considering it "child abuse".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Your hypotheticals were ridiculous. Not cutting up people's genitals without a really good reason is a pretty easy choice and doesn't relate to any of your analogies.

This is always a difficult argument to have because there are a lot of people that don't think you need a really good reason because it's not that big of a deal.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are plenty of them including in this thread, but they're just dismissed for no real reason.

Because when you drill down past the talk of principles and press them on the actual harm done, it's always a baseless "I'm sure I'd be able to cum like a firehose if it weren't for my parents!"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Rather than embarrass myself with opinions about foreskin, I just want to ask: Has there been any progress in replacing lost foreskin? How about frenulum/clitoral repair or replacement?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Freakazoid_ posted:

Rather than embarrass myself with opinions about foreskin, I just want to ask: Has there been any progress in replacing lost foreskin? How about frenulum/clitoral repair or replacement?

All you need is some bologna and a pair of scissors.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Because when you drill down past the talk of principles and press them on the actual harm done, it's always a baseless "I'm sure I'd be able to cum like a firehose if it weren't for my parents!"
No True Circumcision

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Did the OP of this thread actually post that he'd never heard anything about circumcision being religious in origin?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it should probably boil down to this- is circumcision in the West so harmful that it's worth taking the choice away from parents and validating the Christian Right's persecution complex?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do the people who bring up hygiene also keep their children's and their own head bald because it's easier to clean?

hseiken
Aug 25, 2013

ColdPie posted:

It's more complicated than that. There's lots of misinformation and tradition behind the practice, which leads to people like the OP encouraging MGM. There are also a sizable amount of babies born to single mothers, or possibly just with the father not present, which would lead to an anti-MGM father not having his opinion expressed. I think overall you're right that the main issue is most people don't care, so they just go with what the father has.

I think Helsing summed it up pretty well:

First, I'm not encouraging it. I'm encouraging the following:

If you're against it, stop talking about it like it's chemtrails with scary words like 'mutilation'. When in a medical setting, which is the only discussion we're having and not about people being chased down by religious zealots in lovely theocracies and tied up so they can be snipped and accepted into said lovely theocracy, it is surgery. If altering any appearance and function of a human from the way nature intended it in a medical setting was called mutilation, no one would go in for any kind of life saving surgery. That is not to say circumcisions are life saving. But to call it mutilation, you're giving more weight to the word than it actually deserves. It's like calling getting a piercing, another societally accepted body modification, 'mutilation'. It's silly to talk about it in such obtusely morbid terms when it's seriously a 10 minute surgery in a hospital 1-3 days after birth and has the exact same risks as any post op surgery which is basically infection, which is pretty easy to deal with these days.

The religious aspect of the practice itself, I'm not even going to talk about because I'm athiest, my parents are not vehemently religious (or even of jewish or islamic traditions) so I'd appreciate not putting words into my mouth. Because I disagree with the amount of vitriol a topic is discussed in and the libertarian 'black and white' style of shoehorning all nuance into two sides only, I am labeled 'pro MGM'?

gently caress that.

Petr posted:

Did the OP of this thread actually post that he'd never heard anything about circumcision being religious in origin?

No, he didn't.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hseiken posted:

First, I'm not encouraging it. I'm encouraging the following:

If you're against it, stop talking about it like it's chemtrails with scary words like 'mutilation'. When in a medical setting, which is the only discussion we're having and not about people being chased down by religious zealots in lovely theocracies and tied up so they can be snipped and accepted into said lovely theocracy, it is surgery. If altering any appearance and function of a human from the way nature intended it in a medical setting was called mutilation, no one would go in for any kind of life saving surgery. That is not to say circumcisions are life saving. But to call it mutilation, you're giving more weight to the word than it actually deserves. It's like calling getting a piercing, another societally accepted body modification, 'mutilation'. It's silly to talk about it in such obtusely morbid terms when it's seriously a 10 minute surgery in a hospital 1-3 days after birth and has the exact same risks as any post op surgery which is basically infection, which is pretty easy to deal with these days.

The religious aspect of the practice itself, I'm not even going to talk about because I'm athiest, my parents are not vehemently religious (or even of jewish or islamic traditions) so I'd appreciate not putting words into my mouth. Because I disagree with the amount of vitriol a topic is discussed in and the libertarian 'black and white' style of shoehorning all nuance into two sides only, I am labeled 'pro MGM'?

gently caress that.

It's taking off a chunk of skin and permanently altering the penis of a newborn, who was either given no anesthetic or had the anesthetic improperly applied, for cosmetic reasons. That's pretty much the definition of mutilation, you big baby.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
My dick got chopped and I don't give a poo poo, am I a bad person?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'll just throw this out here: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/malecircumcision/en/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Augustin Iturbide posted:

My dick got chopped and I don't give a poo poo, am I a bad person?

No, but on the other hand if you trivialize other people being upset over their loss of bodily integrity that does make you a bad person. See: rape jokes, etc.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, but on the other hand if you trivialize other people being upset over their loss of bodily integrity that does make you a bad person.

Okay, cool.

edit: Do you know there's also a rapper who uses MaudDib as a name? I've always been curious if you listen to Heiruspecs

Augustin Iturbide fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lets see what the WHO has to say in detail about this topic:

Manual for early infant male circumcision under local anaesthesia posted:

Since the mid-1980s, data from cross-sectional epidemiological studies have shown that circumcised men have a lower prevalence of HIV infection than uncircumcised men. And, over
the past 5 years, three randomized controlled trials have convincingly demonstrated that male circumcision is effective in reducing female to male transmission of HIV.2, 3, 4 This opportunity for disease prevention has resulted in an increased demand for male circumcision in several countries of high HIV incidence. Guidance for adolescent and adult male circumcision services has been developed, but technical guidance is lacking on how early infant services can be safely expanded.
There are significant benefits in performing male circumcision in early infancy, and programmes that promote early infant male circumcision are likely to have lower morbidity rates and lower costs than programmes targeting adolescent boys and men.

of course there's a caveat...

quote:

The decision to have a newborn male circumcised is very personal and should be made after careful consideration of the risks and benefits and cultural, religious, and personal preferences.

(http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241500753_eng.pdf)

hseiken
Aug 25, 2013

Ddraig posted:

As for the second, isn't that more to do with peer pressure? I mean, that's usually the kind of logic that leads to cultural practices like circumcision in the first place. 'My child won't fit in if he's different' etc.

How can you say this when you also said the only medical surgery you'd let your kid have is a necessary one, then listed fixing a hair lip which is 95% cosmetic and would be done by you obviously so your child fits in...so obviously, as you say proponents of circumcision being not the end of the dick as we know it are fine with circumcisions for cosmetic reasons, you too are okay with this form of surgery.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Petr posted:

He had never heard of the puritanical arguments for circumcision in the 19th century - specifically, that it prevented masturbation - and assumed that that was a lie. He was pretty much completely wrong and that link is still a proclick.

It might be going too far to attribute the cause of modern circumcision directly to 'religion' though. The philosophy behind it may have been puritanical (any form of sexual activity outside marriage is baaad guys), but the explicit arguments were made in relation to the supposed health consequences of masturbation or even touching. I think those worries, if misplaced, were sincere. Although these initial medical arguments were abandoned along with hysteria, medical arguments are still being used as a justification even when they are pretty flimsy.

hseiken posted:

How can you say this when you also said the only medical surgery you'd let your kid have is a necessary one, then listed fixing a hair lip which is 95% cosmetic and would be done by you obviously so your child fits in...so obviously, as you say proponents of circumcision being not the end of the dick as we know it are fine with circumcisions for cosmetic reasons, you too are okay with this form of surgery.

A harelip is an obvious disability. A foreskin is naturally present for all male (sexed) children. So...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kegluneq posted:

medical arguments are still being used as a justification even when they are pretty flimsy.

Do you have any proof to back up this claim?

Because the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control disagree with you...and they've done the science.

You can argue the medical benefits aren't worth it, but to deny that there are medical benefits is counterfactual.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
P1: Surgery ought not be performed on those who lack the capacity for informed consent unless necessary.
P2: Male circumcision is unnecessary.
----
C: You ought not circumcise your little boy.

This "debate" really shouldn't go further than this. If you disagree with P1 then you're a lunatic idiot, and if you disagree with P2 then you're just an idiot. "Kind-of maybe a beneficial thing but also totally debatably not" is not the same as necessary.

You get your child a new liver if they need it because it's necessary for them to live. You get your child's unsightly benign facial tumour removed because it's socially and psychologically necessary for them not to be the butt of every joke and because the operation will be more complicated later and the odds of them actually wanting a huge lump on their face down the track is very slim. And, of course, vaccinations are necessary for all of us, collectively.

Otherwise, don't pierce your child's loving skin! It's another human being and you should take them to have some degree of bodily autonomy, even if they can't wipe their own arse. Don't make them bleed unless you have to!

Is male cicumcision as gruesome and diabolical and FGM? No. But that doesn't mean it's morally permissible. It's not some big crime against humanity, but it IS painful, it IS unnecessary, and you ARE a fuckwit if you do it to your little boy. There are also risks. The surgery fucks up, and peckers accidentally get cut off in full. While I'm sure lots of people with their turtlenecks in-tact have lost their weiners, none of them lost it because they had their turtlenecks in-tact.

If anybody wants to make the argument that circumcision might be socially and psychologically necessary within religious communities, have at it, but you better be advocating for some proper anaesthesia and medical care in that poo poo in place of giving the poor kid a slug of kosher wine and letting the mohel go to town with his little sickle (or teeth, depending on your denomination) or I'm just going to laugh in horror at you trying to defend causing a helpless human senseless pain. I will also say pre-emptively that apostasy from religion in later life is inarguably a hell of a lot more proportionally prevalent than finding out you had a gross deformity fixed when you were 2 and thinking "gee I wish my parents hadn't done that."

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 15, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

P1: Surgery ought not be performed on those who lack the capacity for informed consent unless necessary.
----

This "debate" really shouldn't go further than this. If you disagree with P1 then you're a lunatic idiot, and if you disagree with P2 then you're just an idiot. "Kind-of maybe a beneficial thing but also totally debatably not" is not the same as necessary.

You get your child a new liver if they need it because it's necessary for them to live. You get your child's unsightly benign facial tumour removed because it's socially and psychologically necessary for them not to be the butt of every joke and because the operation will be more complicated later and the odds of them actually wanting a huge jump on their face down the track is very slim.

Otherwise, don't pierce you child's loving skin! It's another human being and you should take them to have some degree of bodily autonomy, even if they can't wipe their own arse.

Is male cicumcision as gruesome and diabolical and FGM? No. But that doesn't mean it's morally permissible. It's not some big crime against humanity, but it IS mutilation, it IS painful, it IS unnecessary, and you ARE a fuckwit if you do it to your little boy. There are also risks. The surgery fucks up, and peckers accidentally get cut off in full. While I'm sure lots of people with their turtlenecks in-tact have lost their weiners, none of them lost it because they had their turtlenecks in-tact.

If anybody wants to make the argument that circumcision might be socially and psychologically necessary within religious communities, have at it, but you better be advocating for some proper anaesthesia and medical care in that poo poo in place of giving the poor kid a slug of kosher wine and letting the mohel go to town with his little sickle (or teeth, depending on your denomination) or I'm just going to laugh in horror at you trying to defend causing a helpless human senseless pain.

So why do you deny the medical science behind the WHO conclusions about male circumcision?

Manual for early infant male circumcision under local anaesthesia posted:

Since the mid-1980s, data from cross-sectional epidemiological studies have shown that circumcised men have a lower prevalence of HIV infection than uncircumcised men. And, over the past 5 years, three randomized controlled trials have convincingly demonstrated that male circumcision is effective in reducing female to male transmission of HIV.2, 3, 4 This opportunity for disease prevention has resulted in an increased demand for male circumcision in several countries of high HIV incidence. Guidance for adolescent and adult male circumcision services has been developed, but technical guidance is lacking on how early infant services can be safely expanded.

There are significant benefits in performing male circumcision in early infancy, and programmes that promote early infant male circumcision are likely to have lower morbidity rates and lower costs than programmes targeting adolescent boys and men.

Like I've said before, its fine to say that the medical benefits are not worth it according to your personal/cultural/social beliefs and values. However, denying that there are real world medical benefits is to deny reality because it doesn't fit your cultural perspective.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Why do you not offset that minor benefit against the obvious risks of infection and botched procedure, both of which are perfectly capable of being utterly catastrophic far earlier in a person's life than they could possibly reap any benefit from prevention of PIV-transmitted HIV?

(More men have their circumcisions revised due to them being hosed up than actually get circumcised as adults, by the way.)

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Smudgie Buggler posted:

----

The American Association of Pediatricians stated that a careful, comprehensive review of recent evidence showed that the health benefits of male circumcision outweighs the risks.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

If you disagree with P1 then you're a lunatic idiot, and if you disagree with P2 then you're just an idiot.

:shrug: If you say so.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This does seem to be the only issue where goons go "eh" when talking about stupid poo poo people to do their kids for religious/personal reasons.

I WONDER WHY.

EDIT: Are there any health benefits that can't be accomplished by basic first world hygiene/sex education? Also I assume children aren't at a high risk to contract HIV through penile sex so maybe wait until they're like 12, explain the thing to them and then ask if they want the procedure?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 15, 2014

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

EDIT: Are there any health benefits that can't be accomplished by basic first world hygiene/sex education? Also I assume children aren't at a high risk to contract HIV through penile sex so maybe wait until they're like 12, explain the thing to them and then ask if they want the procedure?

A million times.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why do you not offset that minor benefit against the obvious risks of infection and botched procedure, both of which are perfectly capable of being utterly catastrophic far earlier in a person's life than they could possibly reap any benefit from prevention of PIV-transmitted HIV?

(More men have their circumcisions revised due to them being hosed up than actually get circumcised as adults, by the way.)

If you actually read the WHO report I linked instead of just ignoring medical science, you'd find that all your wild theories are actually answered:

quote:

quote:

One important advantage of infant male circumcision is that the procedure is simpler than that performed on older boys and men because the penis is less developed and the foreskin is thinner and less vascular. Healing is quicker and complication rates are lower. The period of superficial wound healing after infant male circumcision is generally 5−7 days and most wounds heal completely within 14 days. Performing circumcision in infancy provides several other advantages:
• the wound typically does not need to be sutured;
• the procedure is not complicated by erections, which can be problematic in adolescent boys
and men;
• infant male circumcision ensures that the wound will be healed before sexual activity begins; sexual activity can complicate circumcision in adolescents and adult males and can put older patients who engage in such activity before the wound has healed at higher risk for HIV transmission.
Another advantage of early infant male circumcision is the reduced risk of urinary tract infections in the first 6 months of life.11 These infections typically present with signs and symptoms of systemic involvement and can be associated with significant complications, including sepsis
and renal scarring. The benefit of male circumcision in preventing urinary tract infections in the first 6 months of life cannot be realized if the procedure is delayed until after infancy. This is especially pertinent if there is an underlying uropathy, such as vesicoureteral reflux or urinary tract obstruction.

But I'm sure the WHO and the CDC are both wrong about this and some random internet poster has done a better job with the medical research.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
See that's my main problem with it. Try as I might, I've never heard why having it done to children who are capable of consent is such an insurmountable problem.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What of this do you actually disagree with?

Circumcision Policy Statement posted:

Systematic evaluation of English-language peer-reviewed literature from 1995 through 2010 indicates that preventive health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure. Benefits include significant reductions in the risk of urinary tract in-fection in the first year of life and, subsequently, in the risk of het-erosexual acquisition of HIV and the transmission of other sexually transmitted infections.
The procedure is well tolerated when performed by trained pro-fessionals under sterile conditions with appropriate pain manage-ment. Complications are infrequent; most are minor, and severe complications are rare. Male circumcision performed during the newborn period has considerably lower complication rates than when performed later in life.
Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns, the benefits of circumcision are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns. It is important that clinicians routinely inform parents of the health benefits and risks of male newborn circumcision in an unbiased and accurate manner.
Parents ultimately should decide whether circumcision is in the best interests of their male child. They will need to weigh medical information in the context of their own religious, ethical, and cultural beliefs and practices. The medical benefits alone may not outweigh these other considerations for individual families.

(http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/130/3/585.full.html)

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 15, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lower HIV rates AND lower UTI rates in the first six months of life? Why that's totally worth permanently altering somebody's genitals!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Again, why is a medical intervention that is permanent preferable to the far less harmful and easier 'wear a condom' or 'wash the Penis'?

I once again refer to the practice in Ireland of removing all teeth and having false ones put in to make oral hygiene easier. Yeah, it may work but you'd kind of be crazy to do it without good reason if there's an easier, less painful and less harmful alternative.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm sure the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization all just forgot to see if "wash yo dick" works instead :rolleyes:.

Its funny how pro-science D&D is until they get confronted with some science that disagrees with their ~feelings~.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you have any proof to back up this claim?

Because the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control disagree with you...and they've done the science.

You can argue the medical benefits aren't worth it, but to deny that there are medical benefits is counterfactual.

You mean the HIV thing? Circumcision is associated with lower transmission rates across populations, but the process doesn't make you immune. You are far better advised as an individual to make use of condoms, which will also protect the uncircumcised.

These arguments are applicable to populations where HIV is rife (i.e. Africa where the relevant trials took place), but significantly less so in the First World, which is the point I'm making. Normal western hygiene practices should be enough to reduce the risk of other forms of infection relating to the foreskin.

Edit:

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization all just forgot to see if "wash yo dick" works instead :rolleyes:.

Its funny how pro-science D&D is until they get confronted with some science that disagrees with their ~feelings~.

American Academy of Pediatrics posted:

The American Academy of Pediatrics believes that circumcision has potential medical benefits and advantages, as well as risks. Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks and that the procedure's benefits justify access to this procedure for families who choose it, however, existing scientific evidence is not sufficient to recommend routine circumcision. Therefore, because the procedure is not essential to a child's current well-being, we recommend that the decision to circumcise is one best made by parents in consultation with their pediatrician, taking into account what is in the best interests of the child, including medical, religious, cultural, and ethnic traditions.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, huh.

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists posted:

Are there any health benefits associated with circumcision?
Circumcised infants appear to have less risk of urinary tract infections than uncircumcised infants. The risk of urinary tract infections in both groups is low [my note: the rate is roughly 0.1% to 1%]. It may help prevent cancer of the penis, a rare condition.

Some research suggests that circumcision may decrease the risk of a man getting human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from an infected female partner. It is possible that circumcision may decrease the risk of passing HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases from an infected man to a female partner. At the present time, there is not enough information to recommend routine newborn circumcision for health reasons.
Source. They also recommend that boys wash regularly to prevent smegma build up, hth.

CDC posted:

Status of CDC Male Circumcision Recommendations
Some recent reports have speculated about the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC's) upcoming public health recommendations on male circumcision for HIV prevention in the United States.

It is important to note that the recommendations are still in development and CDC has made no determination at this time about the final content. CDC is employing a deliberative, evidence-based process for developing the circumcision recommendations, which allows for both external and internal CDC experts to provide input. CDC will also publish draft recommendations for public comment before the content will be finalized.

With respect to infant circumcision, it is important to recognize that many options are still being considered in this process, including simply recommending that health-care providers educate parents about the potential benefits and risks to ensure that parents have the information they need to make an informed decision.

In developing its recommendations, CDC is also considering whether circumcision should be recommended for heterosexual adults at high risk for HIV infection in the United States, as well as whether there is sufficient scientific evidence to make any recommendations for men who have sex with men.

Whatever the content may include, CDC's final circumcision recommendations will be completely voluntary. While CDC has not yet determined if male circumcision should be recommended for any population, ultimately the decision will rest with individuals and parents. CDC's public health imperative is to provide the best possible information on the risks and benefits to help inform those decisions.
Essentially a big 'no comment (yet)'.

I'm not sure if the WHO has made any specific statement regarding circumcision outside of sub-Saharan Africa, other than the basic guide discussed above.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 15, 2014

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Circumcision is a harmful cultural and religious practice and must be stopped!
Wait, it lowers HIV transmission rates?
Well, okay, allow it in Africa then. But not in America! That would be wrong!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kegluneq posted:

You mean the HIV thing? Circumcision is associated with lower transmission rates across populations, but the process doesn't make you immune. You are far better advised as an individual to make use of condoms, which will also protect the uncircumcised.

These arguments are applicable to populations where HIV is rife, but significantly less so in the First World, which is the point I'm making. Normal western hygiene practices should be enough to reduce the risk of other forms of infection relating to the foreskin.

Except the American Academy of Pediatrics says:

quote:

Systematic evaluation of English-language peer-reviewed literature from 1995 through 2010 indicates that preventive health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure. Benefits include significant reductions in the risk of urinary tract in-fection in the first year of life and, subsequently, in the risk of het-erosexual acquisition of HIV and the transmission of other sexually transmitted infections.
The procedure is well tolerated when performed by trained pro-fessionals under sterile conditions with appropriate pain manage-ment. Complications are infrequent; most are minor, and severe complications are rare. Male circumcision performed during the newborn period has considerably lower complication rates than when performed later in life.
Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns, the benefits of circumcision are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns. It is important that clinicians routinely inform parents of the health benefits and risks of male newborn circumcision in an unbiased and accurate manner.

So, no its not just about Africa. Its something that American doctors recommend is an option for American families.

Remember, every single one of these medical sources say "yes it has health benefits, but it is a decision a family should make according to their own decisions about risks/benefits/values". No one is arguing for the forced circumcision of all male newborns. Just that newborn male circumcision has enough health benefits to be a worthwhile option.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Trabisnikof posted:

So, no its not just about Africa. Its something that American doctors recommend is an option for American families.

Remember, every single one of these medical sources say "yes it has health benefits, but it is a decision a family should make according to their own decisions about risks/benefits/values". No one is arguing for the forced circumcision of all male newborns. Just that newborn male circumcision has enough health benefits to be a worthwhile option.

Actually the most important part says:

quote:

Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns...

What they are saying is that they manage to scrum together enough small benefits to rationalize elective surgery on your male newborn if had non-medical reasons to do it and were looking for anything medical-wise to corroborate that desire.

And even modern circumcisions can have complications as discussed in that PDF.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

As noted by ACOG, urinary tract infection rates are already extremely low. The HIV transmission data comes from a society in which HIV is endemic, and comes with the caveat that condoms must also be worn - advice which would also protect the non-circumcised. In the US I believe the highest transmission rates for HIV are between MSM, and circumcision does nothing to reduce that method of transmission anyway.

I therefore stand by my argument that the medical benefits of circumcision in the western world are extremely slight, to the point of being irrelevant, and are an example of special pleading. Social factors are far more important.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

Actually the most important part says:

What they are saying is that they manage to scrum together enough small benefits to rationalize elective surgery on your male newborn if had non-medical reasons to do it and were looking for anything medical-wise to corroborate that desire.

And even modern circumcisions can have complications as discussed in that PDF.

Holy poo poo, if that's how dead set on your beliefs that you read it that way, well that's your interpretation. But that's not what the science says...in one study from a public health perspective its a 10x benefit in the first year alone:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/ posted:

A large, retrospective study of circumcision in nearly 15,000 infants found neonatal circumcision to be highly cost-effective, considering the estimated number of averted cases of infant urinary tract infection and lifetime incidence of HIV infection, penile cancer, balanoposthitis (inflammation of the foreskin and glans), and phimosis (a condition where the male foreskin cannot be fully retracted from the head of the penis). The cost of postneonatal circumcision was 10-fold the cost of neonatal circumcision63.

Oh and that study was conducted in California, not Africa.

Remember, no one is forcing you to circumcise your child but pretty much every medical authority is saying you should have the ability to do so if your family and your doctor think it makes medical sense.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rollofthedice posted:

Circumcision is a harmful cultural and religious practice and must be stopped!
Wait, it lowers HIV transmission rates?
Well, okay, allow it in Africa then. But not in America! That would be wrong!

Niiiice. It may be beneficial to populations in Africa, but as far as I'm aware good hygiene and contraception isn't something that is uniquely toxic to the people of Africa and I would rather they also have the less harmful alternative than a permanent medical intervention.

Fortunately we in the western world have the benefits of advanced medicine and clean water and readily available contraception. Unless we're chopping off pieces of our children's cock to show solidarity with our African comrades it shouldn't be a race to the bottom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember guys, if a medical procedure shouldn't be done on everyone, it should be done on no one! Ignore what the person in the white coat is saying!

Next someone explain how circumcision causes autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo, if that's how dead set on your beliefs that you read it that way, well that's your interpretation. But that's not what the science says...in one study from a public health perspective its a 10x benefit in the first year alone:

Oh and that study was conducted in California, not Africa.

Remember, no one is forcing you to circumcise your child but pretty much every medical authority is saying you should have the ability to do so if your family and your doctor think it makes medical sense.
Haha, you cut the last line off that paragraph. Nice one.

quote:

A large, retrospective study of circumcision in nearly 15,000 infants found neonatal circumcision to be highly cost-effective, considering the estimated number of averted cases of infant urinary tract infection and lifetime incidence of HIV infection, penile cancer, balanoposthitis (inflammation of the foreskin and glans), and phimosis (a condition where the male foreskin cannot be fully retracted from the head of the penis). The cost of postneonatal circumcision was 10-fold the cost of neonatal circumcision. There are also studies showing very marginal cost-effectiveness.

Further down:

quote:

Many parents now make decisions about infant circumcision based on cultural, religious, or parental desires, rather than health concerns. Some have raised ethical objections to parents making decisions about elective surgery on behalf of an infant, particularly when it is done primarily to protect against risks of HIV and STDs that do not occur until young adulthood. But other ethicists have found it an appropriate parental proxy decision.

Incidentally, I doubt anyone here is arguing against circumcising somebody with phimosis. Removing body parts from infants that may potentially go wrong in later life is rather problematic to begin with though.

• Locked thread