Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I noticed it, but hosed up doing something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My original plan was actually to try and take your comm tower, not sure if it would have actually worked.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, after all these years, I've finally made it to The Final Battle in AW1. Got Grit and Kanbei.

Never have I more wished I had a few missiles handy, or maybe Rachel's SCOP.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sixx Spades posted:

Day 2, immediately slammed by snow. This oughta be good. :allears:
Followed by Day 3 being snowy too. Someone should've picked Olaf.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

Followed by Day 3 being snowy too. Someone should've picked Olaf.

In a big free for all, I would be tempted to, just for the mischief factor.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Do CO powers cost more each time you use them? I could have sworn they did but they don't seem to. Maybe it's only in one of the games?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The bar is always the same length, but each time you use your CO power the amount of funds each block of the bar is "worth" increases.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

I read somewhere that the cost per bar is 9000G, with it increasing at a slower rate with the damage you inflict vs the damage you take. As far as I can tell, the use of the CO powers doesn't increase the cost per bar since a lot of powers become self sustaining. If it were the case that they did increase in cost, said self sustaining powers would be hard to maintain. Sensei's regular CO power, Copter Command, let's you suicide a bunch of Infantry for two turns. Assuming you had enough properties, it let's you keep popping his recharged CO power every second turn due to it only requiring two bars.

Sixx Spades fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 12, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

IIRC it's 10% more cost each time? Might be 20%.

It's probably just as well, or mass damage COs would be unbearable - I tried playing the presidential election (as opposed to Republican primaries) version of Strategery 2012 one time, it doesn't seem to have increased cost per each CO power usage, and Romney in presidential election mode essentially gets AW1 Tsunami (Obama, incidentally, plays like Sami but with 2x capture instead of 1.5x). It makes things pretty harsh.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

tbh I'm just going by the AWBW wiki which claims the cost for each block increases by 1800 after each use of a COP or SCOP.

Also, kooky brings in a unit costing 22000 funds to fight infantry and mechs. Sure, why not.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 12, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's called Shock and Awe :colbert:

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

AWBW Wiki posted:

Every star is worth 9000 fund at the start of the game. Each additional use of CO Power(including SCOP) increase the value of each star by 1800 fund up to the tenth usage, when it won't increase any further.
Source

Yeah, looks like you're right. I thought it had something to do with the land based units being worth 2-3000G more than their build value so it would seem skewed for the first charge before sea/air units hit the field.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Man I loved the AW games, especially AWDS. I played it through, played it through on hard mode, then unlocked everything and played through hard mode with Von Bolt. Such a good game :allears:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
IBMS wins by hilarity

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Ahahah found my old GBA SP in the back of my closet with Advance Wars 2 still in it. Played a few rounds of War Room and oh my God I've forgotten how hilarious this game can be. Hearing all the soundtracks gives me this huge sense of nostalgia, and I can't stop laughing when playing as Colin. There can never be enough Neo Tanks :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Made a small 4-player FFA land battle.
http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=13759
Password is "imfeelinlucky". Banned COs are the usual plus Sturm (because he can have unpredictable effects on terrain-heavy maps) and Sami (because I think she might cause issues on such a cramped map). No fog, weather or unit bans (map is probably too small to support the large stupid units anyway).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Oh man I was goin to join in? But no Sami... ah well, I'll play Lash or Rachel.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I joined in, as Random. I got Drake. Is that bad?

EDIT: I looked him up, and then changed COs. I figure Hawke has a nice simple bonus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've started the game, I'll be on IRC while awake if anyone wants to prod me.

Zemyla posted:

I joined in, as Random. I got Drake. Is that bad?

EDIT: I looked him up, and then changed COs. I figure Hawke has a nice simple bonus.
Drake would be pretty lame, but there's no air units on this map so at least he doesn't have a penalty. Hawke's day to day is always useful, although his large meter and the nature of his power makes him weaker on small maps.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Made a 1v1 map if anyone's interested, Click me! Password is "spicy" without the quotes.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Also, can I get an invite to the Skype group? My Skype name is syrazemyla.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Also, can I get an invite to the Skype group? My Skype name is syrazemyla.

There's a Steam group, but...is there a public Skype group for this?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Nope. I'd go with an IRC channel personally. Something Awful-related channels are usually on synirc right? #SAAdvanceWars is available maybe?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Einwand posted:

Made a 1v1 map if anyone's interested, Click me! Password is "spicy" without the quotes.

It's been a billion years since I've played one of these, so here comes an easy win for you.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Einwand posted:

Your link is broken and just leads to the "Your Games" page.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh boy, time for Barbaric Blow.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Endorph sticks to playing like the AW AI: True to , twice in a row he has went for my bait T-Copters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Endorph sticks to playing like the AW AI: True to , twice in a row he has went for my bait T-Copters.
loving hate t-copters

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

Looks like our match is heatin' up now. First contact made. :sun:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Sixx Spades posted:

Looks like our match is heatin' up now. First contact made. :sun:

I'm beginning to realize Sturm's 80% attack power is not helping me very much right now.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Made a new 4 player FFA game if anybody wants to join up.

Name: 4 goons 1 map
Password: assword
Random weather, usual CO bans, DS units banned, everything else default.

Also, I'm thankful to this thread for introducing me to awbw. It's fantastic. I wish I would have known about it sooner.

Edit: Filled up http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=215369

Alvie fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 16, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That central area is going to be Lash heaven, assuming Kooky picks her like he usually does.

EDIT: Yeeep. Of course, I'm the bitch who picked Kindle.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The super patriotic CO who didn't switch armies reporting in. Prepare to probably kick my rear end.

Edit: There an IRC channel we can talk in, or use the steam group chat?

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 16, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Is sasha not a standard ban anymore?

Endorph posted:

Of course, I'm the bitch who picked Kindle.
it's cool, I just need to beat you to the cities and then laugh my way home

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Level Seven posted:

The super patriotic CO who didn't switch armies reporting in. Prepare to probably kick my rear end.

I'm looking forward to this, only because you chose Olaf.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Is sasha not a standard ban anymore?
She hard counters SCOP-dependent COs real bad but she's on the same level as Hawke otherwise: does well on every map, especially big ones, but isn't super broken except in big FFAs/team matches.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

She hard counters SCOP-dependent COs real bad but she's on the same level as Hawke otherwise: does well on every map, especially big ones, but isn't super broken except in big FFAs/team matches.

I'm also probably very bad if it makes you guys feel any better.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
When strategy and tactics can't give you the breakthrough you need, throw a mega tank at 'em.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess almost completely preventing SCOPs is sortof annoying, I can imagine banning her out of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what the gently caress, does olaf just make it randomly snow way more often or something? I seriously have the worst luck with it snowing during my turns

anyway I thought the thing about sasha was that because of how city/heavy every popular AWBW map is, she ends up essentially having the same advantage as colin

• Locked thread