Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the worst job youve ever had
working in a call center
fart referrals
egg timer
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

I wish to read more about Indians making GBS threads around Crossfit boxes, but within the Safe confines of gbs

Srikanth lives behind the gym in what I've been told vehemently is not a slum, but a settlement. (it's a slum) basically little tent villages pop up wherever theres construction. The workers live on site, then move to the next spot. Entire families live in these tents. There's not much to them. Second hand tarps, strapped together bamboo, some pots and pans, etc. Some have generators, small television sets, jerry rigged satellite systems. These entire little settlements can disappear in a night. They always travel at night, because it's cooler. They're no more than about 200 sq feet, and sometimes there's more than one for a family. Still, upwards of 10-15 people will live in in one of these things, typically three generations.

Srikanth gets paid roughly 100 dollars a month to take care of the gym. This includes sweeping, mopping, putting things in place, running off beggars, etc. In exchange, he gets to use the bathroom, shower, and charge his cell phone, which my boss gave him. He also gets to drink the water.

He has never been to school and doesn't speak Hindi or English. Instead he speaks Telegu, the local dialect. He's very scared to talk to me. I always wave and say hello, he just stares. He watches me workout, watches the classes, etc.

I found out he practices Crossfit stuff when no one is around. His favorite thing are muscle ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCUeHe4vPOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FizFashizzle posted:

Srikanth lives behind the gym in what I've been told vehemently is not a slum, but a settlement. (it's a slum) basically little tent villages pop up wherever theres construction. The workers live on site, then move to the next spot. Entire families live in these tents. There's not much to them. Second hand tarps, strapped together bamboo, some pots and pans, etc. Some have generators, small television sets, jerry rigged satellite systems. These entire little settlements can disappear in a night. They always travel at night, because it's cooler. They're no more than about 200 sq feet, and sometimes there's more than one for a family. Still, upwards of 10-15 people will live in in one of these things, typically three generations.

Srikanth gets paid roughly 100 dollars a month to take care of the gym. This includes sweeping, mopping, putting things in place, running off beggars, etc. In exchange, he gets to use the bathroom, shower, and charge his cell phone, which my boss gave him. He also gets to drink the water.

He has never been to school and doesn't speak Hindi or English. Instead he speaks Telegu, the local dialect. He's very scared to talk to me. I always wave and say hello, he just stares. He watches me workout, watches the classes, etc.

I found out he practices Crossfit stuff when no one is around. His favorite thing are muscle ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCUeHe4vPOg

lol

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
worst job, hmm, well i guess that would be modding the something awful froums haha just kidding op sa mod doesnt count becasuse you dont get paid

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also this is him after a storm. We didn't have mops and the gym wasn't water proof so he literally had to sponge up water.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
boner salesman

it's one of those jobs that you think 'that's easy, im good at talking to people' but then youve got management demanding 1/4 inch increase each week (to weed out the underperformers) and limp customers and oh god the priapisms... Pretty soon you never want to see another boner

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
My worst job ever was the job that I went into thinking it would be my best job ever.

I got hired to set out lawn furniture for a farmer's market. That and empty the garbage, etcetera, other light stuff. For three or four hours a week. On Saturdays. Working for a hippie lady. Seems like a pretty good deal: get paid to go to a weekly street fair and listen to some music.

Halfway through the market, a dog attacked a toddler, and I was then appointed security guard. There was also a town crazy who it was my job to follow around. But neither of those was the bad thing. Halfway through the season, when all of this stuff was going on, my boss transformed from fun hippie lady to high-anxiety, high-anger rageball, and would yell at me for anything that went wrong. I felt really trapped because it was just the two of us, and I knew I couldn't do anything to stop the anger. Some people complain about soulless corporations and bureaucracy, but those things actually have the benefit that you can be anonymous. This was more of an abusive relationship than a bad job.

...I also worked at a call center, but it was an incoming call center, for tech support, and I liked it. I learned a lot about computers in six months, and the pay/hours were pretty good, and the bureaucracy wasn't too bad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pig miscarriage analyst

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
The worst job I ever had was MMO subscriber.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Thanks thread for making me feel pampered as poo poo.

Any who.

Worst for me would be the winter I spent at a ski hill tubing park.

1. These parks attract 2 kinds of people. Families with young children, and fat losers who can't ski. The later caused all of the problems, obviously. What else do fat people do?

When you were posted at the top of the hill, you had to manage 3-4 chutes. This meant organising lines and pushing people up over the lip on the top of the hill and into the chute.
Fats would always insist on going down 3 at a time, and would clumsily slump into their tubes 5+ feet from the edge and wait to be pushed / dragged over. They would then stare awkwardly as 120 pound, 15 year old me struggled to heave their combined weight of near 1000 pounds.

They caused just as much trouble for those at the bottom. Running up and down a 15% grade after all of their loose keys, hats and gloves was great fun too.

On colder, faster days, their ample momentum would cause them to run out of track and slam into the hay bails laid out to prevent them from being squeezed through a chain link fence. Sometimes requiring one of us to run back and forth between chutes to brace the bails for impact. I was thrown several meters onto my rear end more than once doing this.

2. Management was ridiculous. They were constantly hounding / screaming at their employees (all highschool kids) about retarded stuff. Spinning the tubes was strictly prohibited, and any time some kid dug their heel into the ground and rotated more than 180 degrees the radio would light the gently caress up with the owners fat cow wife threatening to fire you.
They also harassed me for a solid week about the coat I so clearly stole given I was the last person to sign it out (and back in). Seriously, what thief takes the coat they signed out for a shift when they have access to all of the coats.

3. Try standing out on an exposed hill for 9 hours at -30 celcius. loving cold.

One day about 3 hours into a 10 hour shift, the 2nd guy posted up top with me got called into the chalet so the aforementioned cow could scream at him for spinning tubes, leaving me up there by myself.
I grabbed a tube, slid down to the bottom and went home.

Oh, that summer when they opened a zip line, they sent two people to the hospital in critical condition. One with a broken back. gently caress that place.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Worst job was years ago working fast food, not only did you have the poo poo to clean up (in the bathrooms that's literal poo poo) and the constant verbal whipping from the management as they sat in the office with their thumbs up their asses, you had to deal with people, mostly morons and morons with moron spawn and had to smile while you did. Nothing has ever made me support culling the human race more than that job.
By far though the best incident came from incompetent leadership.
I came back from 2 weeks off on vacation to resume my duties to find out they hired a new manager, just out of high school, attending college to become a doctor, smug, entitled prick of a teen, you know the type. I walk in, log onto the computer to read any notes left (since part of my job was area maintenance) and rear end in a top hat is in there, looks at me and says "Who the gently caress are you?!". Ah yes, we hit it off right away. A few months later I got set up to boil out the back fryers. I'd do them in the morning when we didn't need them to cook. He got pissed because I was "in the way" and told me I should do them around 2 in the afternoon, you know, when they'd be used just before the after school rush comes in at 230.
Another few months passed and I came in at night to shut down the shake machine to ready it for an overnight soak so I could clean it in the morning, on my day off. Assfuck is closing that night and I tell him "Do not turn the machine on, there's just de-limer in it". Fuckstick kicks the power back on before he closes the store, machine goes into a heat cycle, boils the de-limer over the hoppers onto the machine and floor, then goes into a freeze cycle causing it to blow the mix pumps, break the beaters inside, score the cylinders up because of those broken beaters and blew the faces off the front of the machine. He tells everyone I told him to turn it back on. What finally got me fired was the stack motor over the grills blew out and I couldn't replace it because Asstarded dickface decided the extra motors i had in my locked up no-one-but-me-and-the-owner-should-ever-be-in-there office* were taking up needed space and tossed them. His brilliant sollution till the new motor shipped to the store? Climb up into the hood and scrape the grease out by hand, over two 350 degree grills. I told him to go get hosed and when he demanded I do it I threatened to shove a UHC tray up his rear end, sideways.
My biggest regret was I left without grabbing all of my tools including my FUBAR tool for all life's hosed up moments. Came back a week later to learn they tossed all "that crap" because there's no reason anyone should have screwdrivers or anything.

*That no longer locked because another manager decided instead of calling me who lived a few minutes away should instead break the door down to get the table I had locked inside because the lobby was over filled. The reason the table was in there? It was broken and wouldn't stand on its own. But hey, why ask me for help when you can break poo poo for nothing. She became the assistant store manager.

Currently this job I work now is making its way up there though. Get bitched at for not making enough parts despite out-producing the other shift by nearly double, then bitched at for making too many, then bitched at because they're not being made fast enough. Machine ran like poo poo so I spent time cleaning and tweaking till it ran smooth as glass running an entire shift only going down for coil changes and breaks. Guy in charge of repairing it got pissed and reset everything because it "Wasn't made to be run that way". So apparently breaking down more than running is how it was designed. Not to mention getting bitched at for falsifying the part count because it's "impossible to make more than 5k parts in a shift" despite the physical parts matching the numbers. But the guy over on the press running bad parts with huge mishit marks gets a pay raise and promoted to quality control.

TL;DR I must be doing something wrong, the whole time I thought people wanted things done the sensible, productive way. Ah, gently caress me for trying to make things easy

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 18, 2014

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I was involved with a human trafficking/laptop laundering operation for four months, until the business that was doing the stealing was put under investigation by the CIA for tax evasion. My boss coincidentally got really busy with family matters and closed all her stores about a week later.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 18, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The nanny state am I right? :smug:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Repairing septic tanks that are multiple decades late to be serviced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

The nanny state am I right? :smug:

Bad people need to go to prison when they do bad things.

• Locked thread