Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He's not and you are pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

People who complain about legitimate and effective stylistic choices because it makes things harder for them to read are p. hosed up in the head I think.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

zoux posted:

I've read Infinite Jest the whole way through so that's how strong my lit game is before you decide to step.

I've pissed on myself while asleep.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kirk Johnson posted:

And another thing: actual medical psychology textbooks sometimes make mention of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake when talking about the nonsensical "word salad" high-level schizophrenics sometimes produce when you ask them to write poo poo down - basically, a lot of the book is indistinguishable from the ramblings of complete loving mentals. The verdict from literary critics? One of the best books of the last century. The same top class pretentio-wankery at its finest.

That book owns, I translated the first chapter for a lit project and it was the only time I've ever had fun doing a project for school.
There are words that are literally portmanteau of several difference languages, references within references to the current events that allude to ancient mythology, old English folk tales, etc. etc. that all relate in some way to what is happening. The language warps based on the context, the sound of Finnegan falling down his ladder is an amalgamation of the word thunder in different languages, yet read it out loud and it mimics the sound of the thudding or tumbling down something. Seriously hilarious and fun to read out loud as well.
Joyce had a great way with words, and Finnegans Wake is just an enormous tome of pure wordplay set to a silly story.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I actually did, that was a humorous aside I used when I wrote a paper about how his life influenced his works.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you wanna talk about massive obscure novels where weird poo poo happens you should check out Terra Nostra where it ends with the last man and woman on earth fingering each other in the butthole until they fuse together as a dickgirl

good book

Sounds good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

As I Lay Jerking.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

zoux posted:

James Franco is making that into a movie with Seth Rogen and Danny McBride in it.

It's on Netflix, I think, I haven't watched it yet because that book owns bones and I feel like the movie can't possibly try to do it justice.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kelfeftaf posted:

you're thinking of as i lay dying. the rogen/mcbride masterpiece hasn't been released yet

Oh, I didn't bother actually seeing what he was quoting and just assumed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kelfeftaf posted:

franco is/was trying to film an adaptation of blood meridian. danny mcbride as judge holden? seth rogen as toadvine?

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Judge Holden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Frostwerks posted:

is this a good gently caress or a bad gently caress i need to know

Alejandro Jodorowsky's Blood Meridian.

It hurts that it will never happen.

• Locked thread