Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Thats right, I'm running a short game for the Force and Destiny book that was released at Gen Con today. We're going to be running through the Adventure in the back of the book, "Lost Knowledge" which deals with you becoming a Jedi and building a lightsaber and poo poo.

I want this to be a playtest type VERY QUICK game so we can find any issues and report them. I will probably start a more in depth campaign using these rules in the coming months, but not now. That being said I would like you to only consider applying for this game if you meet the following criteria:
  • You can post Once or More than Once a day
  • You do not have an issue with testing broken rules that will make you angry
  • You are willing to report the results of this game and your opinion of it to Fantasy Flight Games at forceanddestinybeta@fantasyflightgames.com
  • You are willing to make suggestions to make the game run better, whether it be staring rules, or Force rules, or whatever. We're trying to playtest this.

If you cannot do one of the things above, please don't apply. That being said, lets be Space Wizards and kick this Bitch.

Character Generation:

I've gone back and forth with what I want to do, and have decided to treat this as a playtest and play it by the rules. So in that case, make me a standard character from Force and Destiny with no special benefits or houserules. I will allow up to 1 (ONE) non-Force and Destiny Character from Age or Rebellion or Edge of the Empire with which to compare it with. You're free to use any race from any FFG book, but I don't care for the Unofficial Menagerie, so don't use those. Standard char gen rules from the Force and Destiny Book apply, as well as AoR and EoTE.

Whats that? You don't have Force and Destiny yet? Well then you need to jump into IRC and ask us about how to create a character then don't you. #sweote on irc.synirc.net. Really, you should jump in IRC and ask, we'll help you create a character and everything. Yes. Just click this link and put in your username and we'll help you.

Why havent' you done that yet?

I have made a Form Fillable Character Sheet for Force and Destiny which I would like you to use and upload to Google or Dropbox so we can all admire your Jedis. Click here to download it.

There are 3 Episodes to this adventure. I will be multiplying the XP gains for Episode 1 and Episode 2 to test mid and high level gameplay with the system.

Please build your character as you would build any starting EotE and AoR character, that is, spend all of your XP on attributes. After the first Episode you will have enough XP to go down a Talent Tree or pick up another, or a Force Power that you couldn't afford at char gen.

Also please provide a picture so I can have some art in this game, online mediums without art makes me sad.

I will be attempting to run this game very fast. Which means I want it to be done in less than 2 months. Please keep that in mind when you apply. This is a huge point for me, as I am already in a gently caress ton of games, and GMing 1 (which takes more than a glance, as people will tell you).

Also, if you playtest this for me, and make me happy, I will put you first in line when I start my Force and Destiny full game in a few months. I already have an idea for that, and you want to be in it. :getin:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Since the question came up in IRC which you should all be in, I am fine with Newbies to this game. We in the IRC Channel will nurture you into a Star Wars posting machine, and you should totally apply to this playtest, as it would create a great baseline.

Seriously. All people welcome. Even SAGA players.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Leif. posted:

Got excited for a moment about a new Star Wars RPG. Then I realized it has the same stupid dice system as EotE and :commissar:.

Its really not that bad. The dice are different, but its easier to match and figure out if you've succeeded rather than doing math in your head, which is a problem for some people.

I actually prefer this dice system to rollin 20s now that I've gotten past the garish colors and odd symbols.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This came up in IRC (why aren't you in here yet?), and I guess I forgot to add it to the OP.

There are 3 Episodes to this adventure. I will be multiplying the XP gains for Episode 1 and Episode 2 to test mid and high level gameplay with the system.

Please build your character as you would build any starting EotE and AoR character, that is, spend all of your XP on attributes. After the first Episode you will have enough XP to go down a Talent Tree or pick up another, or a Force Power that you couldn't afford at char gen.

edit: yes I know they aren't doing typical XP breakdowns in every Episode, but I will do that anyways to try out new things.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 15, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So I see 8 Apps right now. If I can get at least 2 more, I'll run 2 games of the same adventure.

Edit: I'd like to start this weekend if possible, so you've got until that long.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 15, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Okay, everyone who's posted in this thread with a character or saying they'll make a character is in. Here's who we have

Game A - Regular StartGame A is going to be the regular start. Please remake your characters with this new sheet so they don't look all wonky.

Game B - Knight StartPlease remake your characters with the following changes on this new sheet:
+150 XP - CANNOT BE USED ON CHARACTERISTICS
+1 Force Rating

You DO NOT get a lightsaber to start, just the above changes. If you want to say you have a lightsaber hilt without a gem, thats fine with me.

edit: Also, if you look at Lord Koth's sheet, its got the correct dice on it. This might be because he uploaded it to Google, so please try that instead of Dropbox.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 16, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Squad A, Regular Joes
Squad B, Knighty Knights

Feel free to ask questions either in here or in IRC.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Every time I see Jobal's name...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmItUT5nt8

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Okay, I want to put this out here, and I don't really want it to offend or discourage anybody at all. This is not in reaction to how the game is going, but more a way for you as players to adapt you to my methods of playing and running a tabletop RPG.

First: I don't want you asking me what skill to use for things. You know your characters better than me (or at least you should). You know what they're good at. Therefore you should be able to know how they'd approach a situation. If you're a mechanic, everything looks like a mechanical problem to be fixed. If you're a talker, you're going to rely heavily on negotiation/charm/deception/whatever. If you're a fighter, well you can go sit in the corner and let the big boys get through the planning and be useful later. You should also try to come up for a difficulty for your skill checks. I'll typically put a default, and if you try to do something that doesn't quite fit with your skills, or you word it in a way that is unusual, then you should add difficulty or setbacks or whatever seems appropriate to the roll. If its not enough, I'll roll more dice and adjust. If its too much, I'll take away dice and adjust. This is the one downfall of playing a pbp game in this manner. Its hard to get a quick reaction when you ask 'whats the difficulty of that'. If you can't decide what the difficulty is, roll your check without difficulty and I'll add the dice in later. That is always an option.

Second: I will accept any reasoning or bullshit you provide me to justify using any skill or power or idea for any reason on two caveats.
A: Its in Character.
B: It's not completely terribly insane. Like totally absolutely no loving way in hell insane.
With that in mind, you should be able to use anything on your character sheet for any situation as long as you can tell me how or why you are doing so.

Third: This game is about building a story. It is not about me looking up on a chart and saying yay or nay to your ideas and how they fit withing my plot and the game's rules. Therefore I want you to not only roll your skill check and see the outcome, but also write what happens after you attempt to do the thing you attempted to do. And I WILL ROLL WITH WHATEVER HAPPENS. This isn't even something that has to be done for skill checks. For instance, in this post Zam is asking about being able to use a Repulsor ATV he created himself to help survive in a jungle. He did a good thing here, that I am happy to let him continue to make that poo poo up. I will now incorporate that idea for a repulsorcat into the game and if the group decides to steal 6 of them to go traipsing across the jungle in I will allow it, build stats for it, and plan the future game around them having these vehicles. This is a thing that is not in the adventure module, a thing we did not plan ahead on, and he did not mention to me in any way and I will roll with it. Please do this all the time. For everything. Within reason. Mostly. But mainly it is better for you to do and ask for permission later, than to ask for permission first. Just do it.

Now please do not take this as a criticism to you, as players. You are all doing a wonderful job, and posting a lot of content, and I am enjoying running these games very much. However, I would greatly enjoy having a more freeform gaming atmosphere, rather than trying to stick with written rules. I consider most rulebooks guidelines and contents of cool content to adapt to your own building of a game story. And I have been trying to teach this poo poo to my IRL players for years and they're still only getting half of it. So you are not alone.

But if you can adapt and play the game the way I prefer I bet you that your future PbP and online GMs will love you. Because you will not be asking them 20 questions about how to do that awesome thing in their game world, but instead doing that awesome thing and asking if its okay in the future. And they'll love that. Most of the pbp GMs I play games in do.

[/rant]

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 20, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry guys work was hell today. I love what's going on in Knights and will update either late tonight or early tomorrow.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry guys its been a busy weekend, and I'm still not sure if I have to fly out of the country next week for work or not.

I'll get a post up for every game tomorrow if things don't go kaboom.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm travelling today. Posting will be slow and probably once a day until next weekend.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So is this something you feel is because I told everyone to go hog wild with story building, or more me not explaining the story as well as I could?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oh okay. Please feel free to do the same and make up weird NPCs or whatever.

I like it when players do poo poo like that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I don't believe it takes an action to commit a force dice, it just happens and your Force Rating goes down until you uncommit the dice.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Eeeeeh, I'm not sure I want to do that.

But yeah, I guess we can. Please put your current Morality in each post, and here's the roll: Morality: 1d10 8

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No, you're not benefiting from a mentor, unless you wanted the dark side temple to teach you how to force.

It doesn't really fit into the story I've built, and it wasn't like I was stingy with the XP anyways.

As for the errata, go ahead and use it, although I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

jivjov posted:

Okay, so how does this one work? Since the roll is over my conflict, I get Morality equal to the difference, right? And then does conflict zero out?

From reading it, it seems that if anybody's final morality contains that number, the PC and the GM will work specifically on that PC's morality for this session.

I didn't read anything about conflict differences, what page did you see that on?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Okay, there are 2 1d10 rolls here regarding Morality then.

The "Triggering Morality" d10 starting on page 34:

And from Page 221, which you mention:

So everybody can do the "Engaging a Triggered Morality" roll and post the results, as I think I triggered everyone's Morality at least once for one thing or another.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 17, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, do that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hey no worries, my week just got weird. I put in my 2 weeks notice today, so things might slow down as I transition to a new job.

I'll try to be more active though, I know things are going slow right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

• Locked thread