Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Carteret posted:

:siren:X-Wing National Finals!:siren:

:psyboom:2 motherfucking Falcons vs Whisper, Captain Yorr(!) & Soontir Fel:psyboom:

My worldview... has changed.

I played him twice with this list at a regional. Captain yorr is fantastic for a whole bunch of reasons. Being able to K-turn a phantom and let yorr eat the stress is obnoxious.

Hes a really nice guy too. Glad he did so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

alg posted:

HWK-290 can't use Systems Upgrades.

Oh right, they have a turret instead. My bad :downs:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

alg posted:

Ya, I play at Gamer's Armory. Stairs, etc.

edit: good interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrNf_Y4KfA

"We don't want to see any like 11 point pilots"

Thank god.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thank god.

Yeah, I like that, I like them saying TIE Advanced will see its day, and I like that they want to keep the factions Different.

I don't get how they are surprised the Falcon is competitive, lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

I like them saying TIE Advanced will see its day

How are they going to do that, though? They'd need to print some more Advanced-specific stuff and the only way we'd get that is if they re-release the x1 (or give us the Avenger as an alternate Advanced sculpt) or release cards on their own.

I really hope we get the Avenger, actually. :allears:

e; you know, what with the 1Y 2Z Scum box, I wonder if we could get an Imperial box in the same style with an Avenger, some prototype TIE or a Defender or Phantom in alternate colours, and a bunch of new pilot/upgrade cards for existing models. I'd love to get some non-mercenary Firespray pilots for Imperials, for example.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How are they going to do that, though? They'd need to print some more Advanced-specific stuff and the only way we'd get that is if they re-release the x1 (or give us the Avenger as an alternate Advanced sculpt) or release cards on their own.

I really hope we get the Avenger, actually. :allears:

Just as I'm expecting non-Scum specific Y-wing and HWK cards to help the rebel versions, I'm expecting something in the vein of a Battle of Yavin box. Obviously it'd have the Advanced but I'm not sure what else.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Ya, I play at Gamer's Armory. Stairs, etc.

Ah cool. Everyone there is good people, glad to see he won.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
That was a really good interview and it's pretty refreshing to know that the lead game designers seem to understand the game and its meta quite a bit.

On the Advanced, my money is still on it being included with an Imperial huge ship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thank god.

How are they going to do that with a 1-skill Z-95, though? We already have a 2-skill for 12 points. Unless that Illicit upgrade slot is a game-changer, I don't see how it's worth an entire point by itself even when not being used.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Strobe posted:

How are they going to do that with a 1-skill Z-95, though? We already have a 2-skill for 12 points. Unless that Illicit upgrade slot is a game-changer, I don't see how it's worth an entire point by itself even when not being used.

Well the 12 point Z is something of a steal at PS2 so I could see just putting the PS1 guy with illicit capabilities at 12 and it being balanced within the Scum faction.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

Yeah, I just wish they'd do it via selling card packs instead of tying all the cards to actual models you might not want. :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Yeah; plus it makes sense thematically that the S&V faction repurposes other ships for their cause.

I still think FFG should just sell a POD card pack of things like Ship Upgrade and maybe even pilots. It'd be a good way to address complaints that certain upgrades only come with certain ships. Or they could just make a whole pack of brand new stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would pay a lot of money (like... $8-10) for a set of themed upgrade packs. For example a Droids theme pack that comes with all astromechs, droid crew members, and (soon) salvaged astromechs. Likewise for a boatload of missiles and torpedos and bombs, to name a few.

New pilots would be cool, as well, but then you could run into the problem of suddenly having more pilots you want to use than you have ships to represent them. Hardly the worst problem to have, but it's there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And pilot cards would require the cardboard chits for the ship bases too. Didn't think of that when I first suggested it.

I do like that the most wanted pack is more or less a S&V starter kit. Probably the best (and least money-grabby) way to introduce a new faction.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can't see them selling a pack of cards that releases content that people have already paid money for like that. I could see them releasing new material under a cards pack but I doubt they will do it. The price point isn't terrible for a minis game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd absolutely buy a pack of torpedos and bombs if it meant I didn't have to buy three more TIE Bombers to outfit my Y-Wings with Adv. Proton Torpedos for shits and giggles. Likewise if I could get some of the Astromechs that are only available in the Transport or Corvette that I am not going to shell out a combined $140 for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I want all the X-Wing pilots but I sure as hell don't want to buy the Tantive for them

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

I can't see them selling a pack of cards that releases content that people have already paid money for like that. I could see them releasing new material under a cards pack but I doubt they will do it. The price point isn't terrible for a minis game.

I'm not suggesting they just give away previously paid cards or anything; just have it be a POD pack like The Lord of the Rings LCG nightmare packs. It's not like they've ever had a policy of "this new upgrade card will remain exclusive to only this one ship expansion". It's more a matter of time before things get packed in with a different wave later on.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

signalnoise posted:

They come with the Transport.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Leo Showers posted:

They come with the Transport.

Yes, we know that. The idea here being that you can get the pilots that come with the transport without shelling out $50 for a ship you'll never use in a tournament game anyway just to get the pilots.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man, I can't wait to see the squadron lists of what made it into the top 8.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

Yes, we know that. The idea here being that you can get the pilots that come with the transport without shelling out $50 for a ship you'll never use in a tournament game anyway just to get the pilots.

This wouldn't lead to any ruffled feathers at all. :shobon:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I want all the X-Wing pilots but I sure as hell don't want to buy the Tantivetransport for them

OK

Yeah I don't want to have to buy some bigass thing I'll never use. They're just cards :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If that would piss somebody off who bought the Transport just for the pilots, or the Corvette just for C-3P0, those folks need to either gently caress off, or grow up and get over it. Cards that are unavailable to folks that can't afford to drop $100 in one sitting just to get a particularly nice pilot or crew member are one of the (very few) things I really dislike about X-Wing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd gladly split the purchase, paying 15 for the xwing and xwing-related cards, and the other guy can keep all the transport stuff, but do you think anyone would actually go for that?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As someone who bought the CR90 just for C3PO I would be upset if they released him in another manner.

EDIT: I'd get over it of course. I would just feel like I got suckered.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You don't already feel like you got suckered?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Well you better get mad at everybody proxying it then. Really they should release those X-Wing pilots seperately. I did buy the huge ships because I thought they looked neat, not because they came with any special card.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Well you better get mad at everybody proxying it then. Really they should release those X-Wing pilots seperately. I did buy the huge ships because I thought they looked neat, not because they came with any special card.

I haven't seen anyone proxying it, but I only play league and tournaments. I'm happy with my big ship purchases but I didn't pay MSRP (the Corvette has been on sale for $50 recently). I am hoping Epic becomes a little bit more playable, as it is it's only Imperial players want to play it since the cap ships are so overpriced/ineffective.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As someone who bought the CR90 just for C3PO I would be upset if they released him in another manner.

EDIT: I'd get over it of course. I would just feel like I got suckered.

Pretty much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

I'd gladly split the purchase, paying 15 for the xwing and xwing-related cards, and the other guy can keep all the transport stuff, but do you think anyone would actually go for that?

I settled on a 20/40 split with a friend for the transport (remember that you're getting exclusive cards so paying a bit more for your portion is expected) and a 25/65 split for the blockade runner for C3po/Han/Leia/r2. Luckily the blockade runner is online for $50 and had store credit for the transport so I was able to get the x-wing and cards for a decent price.

I don't see what the problem is unless you're planning to go to regionals/nationals and it's the nature of the beast. Magic has it's exclusive commander cards too and that's how they make their money.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So the option is either enjoy the fact that further cards can be gained through card packs, or say "you should get suckered too because I got suckered." I never understood this point of view.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'd personally like to see the game as accessible as possible. They've already opened things up somewhat by "reprinting" Advanced Sensors in the E-Wing, a card that used to only be in the shuttle. Same with Push the Limit and now Imperial Aces.

Is anyone else a little unsettled by how fast they are releasing product? Rebel Aces isn't even in stores, yet the Scum and Villainy stuff is set to release by the end of the year.

I'd like a little more time for the meta-game to adjust, considering I only get to play at most 2 or 3 times per week.

Edit:

Also to get any other complaining out of the way, in that designer interview they say that "Scum are the faction you play if you like tricks. If you like control decks in magic," and that scum have a lot of "jerk moves." The new HWK can supposedly turn abilities against you.

This doesn't sound fun to me. The game is fundamentally about planning out and controlling your ships. Denial of control doesn't see very fun in that context, nor do "jerk" moves. Who wants to look at their opponents squad and think "ugh, this won't be fun." Of course no one knows what the actual cards will be, but those were my thoughts.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Caddrel posted:

Who wants to look at their opponents squad and think "ugh, this won't be fun." Of course no one knows what the actual cards will be, but those were my thoughts.

Literally every time I play a dual Falcon or list with Phantoms and Soontir Fel.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Literally every time I play a dual Falcon or list with Phantoms and Soontir Fel.

Or a TIE swarm. Blocking is fun.

Blocking with swarms has been a thing since literally Wave 1, and blocking is as much control as you'd ever need to exert to royally piss someone off. This is no different.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

So the option is either enjoy the fact that further cards can be gained through card packs, or say "you should get suckered too because I got suckered." I never understood this point of view.

No. That is not what I wanted to get across. It was merely that that's the only choice if you want to play in tournaments. I troll and argue about reprinting heavily in the magic thread all the time even though it would cause my ~cardboard investments~ to deflate in value.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

No. That is not what I wanted to get across. It was merely that that's the only choice if you want to play in tournaments. I troll and argue about reprinting heavily in the magic thread all the time even though it would cause my ~cardboard investments~ to deflate in value.

Nah that wasnt at you. I should use the quote function more

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh ok. I figure it could across that way with the words I used: "I don't see the problem..."

As for scum tricks and tips, I don't know if it'll be that much different than what we already have. We have stress as a resource management factor now. Rebel captive, r3-a2, tactician, etc. We have howl runner-like buffs for friendly ships and I can imagine enemy debuffs will be inevitable. I hope that maybe we can get an ion bomb to go with the torpedo.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is there a full list of all cards and what set they come from? Or better yet images of the cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a full list of all cards and what set they come from? Or better yet images of the cards?

If you have an Android device X-Wing Companion is pretty great.

• Locked thread