Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yea that's true, I keep forgetting that about the large base... but alas, I have no engine upgrade card either :dance: but yea, the point still stands about the double base size.. curses, now I'm going to be debating buying a shuttle for the next week :)

(not buying rebel ships is really biting me in the arse)

edit: comedy rebel list using the only rebel ships I have..

ibtisam + ion cannon + determination
biggs + R2 + stealth device
tycho + cluster missiles + PTL + stealth device

...with absolutely no thought put into it whatsoever :dance:

edit 2: for reference, I have never played a game as rebels

enri fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So I'm thinking of dragging my buddy that I play Infinity with kicking and screaming into this game by buying two starter armies and letting him choose what one he wants for either his birthday in November or Christmas. After reading up about the game a bit I'm looking at buying two Core Sets along with the Millennium Falcon, Rebel Aces, and Y-Wing for the Rebels and either Slave One or Lambda Shuttle as well as the Imperial Aces and Advanced Tie or maybe even a Tie Bomber for the Empire

Any feedback or suggestions on my picks? Where are you guys primarily buying your models? Also, what's the eta on reprints of stuff like the Falcon and Slave-1?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I usually trade magic cards for my ships but Amazon periodically has sales too good to pass up.

For rebels I suggest not getting the y-wing but it's fine. For imperials do not get the advanced and bomber for now - but there may be a boost for it later. Get a phantom and regular interceptor instead. The imperial aces have nice upgrade cards but getting both big ships instead is also decent. I'd suggest starting with the shuttle if you had to pick just one but Fett does come with a much needed gunner upgrade for the falcon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

I usually trade magic cards for my ships but Amazon periodically has sales too good to pass up.

For rebels I suggest not getting the y-wing but it's fine. For imperials do not get the advanced and bomber for now - but there may be a boost for it later. Get a phantom and regular interceptor instead. The imperial aces have nice upgrade cards but getting both big ships instead is also decent. I'd suggest starting with the shuttle if you had to pick just one but Fett does come with a much needed gunner upgrade for the falcon.

The Y-wing is fantastic you heartless bastard. The only problem with it is good luck actually finding one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's more that it's a high skill ceiling control ship that's not as well suited for beginners IMO. But yeah good luck finding one.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

It's more that it's a high skill ceiling control ship that's not as well suited for beginners IMO. But yeah good luck finding one.

Scum and Villainy is looking to make it significantly easier to fly. Those Astromechs mean you can choose between never slowing down ever, and never missing with an ion cannon ever. So psyched.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Your wallet gonna bleed, son.

Imperial Aces is wonderful and cranks the maneuverability up to nuts. You're also going to want more TIE fighters.

I like the bomber for variety but it certainly isn't a must buy.

Avoid the TIE Advanced. It looks cool and it's Vader and all but it's very expensive for what it does and feels wrong, like its a rebel ship that happens to be on the imperial side. I also didn't find the lone interceptor expansion amazing enough to be a must buy.

Hahaha. Well I also play 40k so my wallet is bleeding profusely already. Anyway , I picked up the imperial aces pack and it's seem pretty sweet. Out of all the characters the one that stands out the most to me is Karnor Jax. I like the idea of a pretty mean debuff on something that can get in and stay pretty close. Am I wrong to think so ?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I want to make my ship bases less likely to be nudged during the game and i was wondering what other people do?

My first thought was sticking felt to the bottom but the bases are slightly hollow so that wouldn't work.

Should i just not worry about it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Glue washers or tiny weights to the bottoms of them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just tried this game out, seems really good. I got the Star Wars starter because my little brother prefers Star Wars, but I see there is a Trek variant, and that appeals to me.

How well do they talk and is there a Star Trek Attack Wing thread?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Just tried this game out, seems really good. I got the Star Wars starter because my little brother prefers Star Wars, but I see there is a Trek variant, and that appeals to me.

How well do they talk and is there a Star Trek Attack Wing thread?

Here you go. I haven't actually played the Trek variant, but from what I hear:

Trek has cheaper-looking, uglier ships - out of the box, they're not painted nearly to the level X-Wing stuff is. Of course you can fix that yourself.
Trek has multiple factions, though being made by WizKids, the balance between them is somewhat questionable.
Trek is more focused on capital ships, so the individual ships are somewhat bigger and clumsier. In an equivalent-sized game you tend to end up with fewer but more powerful individual ships, with more focus on the equipment and special crew aboard them. Fighter wings are actually represented by little tokens in Trek.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 26, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The issue with the most impact between the two games that I feel leads to negative play experiences is that Star Trek makes you attend events to get exclusive pilots and ship cards. X-wing only has alternate art cards and dice that, funny enough, can be sold for nice chunk of cash but everything can be had at retail. Whether this bugs you as a latecomer might influence your decision to play.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chill la Chill posted:

The issue with the most impact between the two games that I feel leads to negative play experiences is that Star Trek makes you attend events to get exclusive pilots and ship cards. X-wing only has alternate art cards and dice that, funny enough, can be sold for nice chunk of cash but everything can be had at retail. Whether this bugs you as a latecomer might influence your decision to play.

This and the blind buy ships are why pretty much everyone has stopped playing Star Trek. The balance issues don't help, but house rules made that ok enough.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I want to make my ship bases less likely to be nudged during the game and i was wondering what other people do?

My first thought was sticking felt to the bottom but the bases are slightly hollow so that wouldn't work.

Should i just not worry about it

I glued 5/16 x 1-1/4 rubber washers to the bottoms of my bases. It helps a little. I've heard some people saying good things about magnets, but I don't have any metal play surfaces to try it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Swagger Dagger posted:

This and the blind buy ships are why pretty much everyone has stopped playing Star Trek. The balance issues don't help, but house rules made that ok enough.

Attack Wing doesn't have blind buy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Strobe posted:

It's an organized play thing. You show up, buy a mystery ship and build a list with it. The organized play aspect of Attack Wing is far and away the worst part, which is saying something considering how ugly the ships are.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wizkids just had to make suggested rules for Tournaments because of the horrible balance in that game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Strobe posted:

Sorry, I should've been clearer but like Poopy Palpy said it's what they're doing for the Organized Play season right now. You build a 90 point list then buy a 30 point ship at the store.

It sucks because if you're 'serious' about the game you have to do the OP events to keep up (and you want the new ships, all the blind buy ships are exclusive to that), and if you're new to the game and just looking to play in a structured way it's a lot more expensive than it would be otherwise.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played a couple of games against/using the YT-2400 and decimator: the Decimator seems like a good ship (although tooling it up costs a lot), while the YT-2400 list I played against was based on giving stress to other ships (it had a 'Dutch' with flechettes and 'Hobbie' also with flechettes) and used Eaden Vrill to gain dice on that stress.

I tried the 360 autoblaster and I think the idea is dead on the water. Even with Dash Rendar largely ignoring obstacles the autoblasters didn't do enough damage to make it worth the cost of 10 points. I don't think I'll try it again since it seemed to be such a dud, but it was worth a shot. Interested to see more options with the Decimator though.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 26, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Having played with them since GenCon, the 2400 is just too expensive with the HLC + Title. Outrider should have been 0 points.

Decimator is a really solid ship with a ton of options and offers something new to Imperials. I can't wait to see how it develops after it hits more metas.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the YT-2400 is maneuverable enough that just getting a Vanilla HLC without the title would be fine to get it some solid firepower. I'd need to try it to make sure. The title being 5 points is excessive though, but I don't think it should be 0 points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Having played with them since GenCon, the 2400 is just too expensive with the HLC + Title. Outrider should have been 0 points.

Decimator is a really solid ship with a ton of options and offers something new to Imperials. I can't wait to see how it develops after it hits more metas.

The title is 5 points because of what else you can do with it. Engine upgrade and push the limit means you can be outside of range one of absolutely anyone, and an HLC on a 10 health platform loving hurts for a long time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the reason why it's so high is because of future-proofing: FFG doesn't want to be restricted on what cannons they put out in the future so instead they priced it high in order to counteract this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

The title is 5 points because of what else you can do with it. Engine upgrade and push the limit means you can be outside of range one of absolutely anyone, and an HLC on a 10 health platform loving hurts for a long time.

That's a 53 point PS5 ship.

Tekopo posted:

I think the reason why it's so high is because of future-proofing: FFG doesn't want to be restricted on what cannons they put out in the future so instead they priced it high in order to counteract this.

Yeah it would be nice to see some 3 attack cannons (that aren't Autoblasters) with secondary effects.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

That's a 53 point PS5 ship.
You can get a 54 point ship that can still sorta-ptl boost with PS9 if you get rendar with EI/Leebo/VI/HLC/Outrider. It's still probably not worth it for 54 points (the ion tokens are annoying though).

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Had my second game last night. First time as an imperial. I ran.

Echo with Veteran Instincts and Advanced Cloaking Device
Bounty Hunter with Heavy Laser Cannon
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

He ran

Luke Skywalker with R2D2 and proton torpedoes
Etahn with Flechette Torpedoes
Prototype pilot with Chaardan Refit
Prototype pilot with Chaardan Refit

Really fun game, we both made some (lots) of silly mistakes. Rereading the rules we were playing the attack phase wrong in many ways but in a spirit of fair play. The bounty hunt was great, soaked damage, destroyed both A-wings abs was closing in on Etahn when I misdialled and flew it off the board. We had a cloaked Echo on one hull and Luke Skywalker on one hull at knife fighting range when we called it. The Phantom was boss too, so many dice...

Really happy with the list, need to learn how to fly the drat ships now!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ouch, i've learned the value of having at least a few lower pilot skill dudes around.

Picked up Rebel Aces for myself and the Lambda Shuttle for my brother and we had a game right afterwards.

I ran

Kyle Katarn (6)

Jake Farrell(7)

Corran Horn (8)

Keyan Farlander (7)

I can't remember exactly who my brother ran but he had a 2,4 (Captain Yor in the shuttle),5 and 2 7's.

AND he also had initiative so he got to do pretty much everything before i could move at all which got really annoying and ultimatly led to me losing, but not until i took out Yor at least!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Figure you all would be interested in this. Apparently TIE Fighter is getting a digital rerelease for modern computers.

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PJOmega posted:

Figure you all would be interested in this. Apparently TIE Fighter is getting a digital rerelease for modern computers.

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

Someone could tell me in the next five minutes that someone found a cure for death, and that would not be the best news I heard today.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

PJOmega posted:

As someone who has gone through the trouble of trying to get X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance to work on their modern (like eight years ago) PC, this news, if authentic, breathes a little warmth into my icy heart.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ok, new list.... let's say you've got Boba Fett, you've got 7 points to go tart him up a bit, what would you take? My money's on ion cannon / proximity mines / veteran instincts for general shenanigans.

The tournament has a prize for 'highest placed boba fett' and I'm gunning for it :D I will fail horribly but I have to try :3:

- boba + ion cannons + prox. mine + VI
- saber sq + PTL + stealth device
- saber sq + PTL + stealth device

I figure the ion cannon is cheap at 3 points to make a nuisance of my opponents plans and for singling out opposing ships for the interceptors to go and pick on... proximity mines seems like a no-brainer after the FAQ update lets you drop them on a ship and have them trigger straight away, definitely so given how so many of my games end up 'up close and personal' (or more like 'stuck in a car park')

Adding VI to the mix means 90% of the time I'm going to be able to use Boba's ability to get a little closer to wherever I want him to be (for the sheer joy of flying past an opposing ship and dropping the proximity mine on its head) - or I could just drop VI for the sake of gaining the initiative.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Predator is really solid on him as well, since the Firespray can evade. 2 green plus evade makes it surprisingly tough, and Predator means you're not just whiffing every shot with your guns. I'm not a huge fan of cannons on Firesprays because you can't fire them backwards, but Ion is pretty cheap, sooo...

OTOH, VI means you have a chance to kill Whisper, so that's a pretty big plus side to it.

Edit: VI + Gunner, maybe? Gets you rerolls and high initiative, with his movement shenanigans might let you get some surprise shots on Whisper while it only has 2 dice to defend with?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Fett's strength is being a better dogfighter thanks to his ability and a Navigator, so I'd run Fett + Navigator + Outmanoeuvre, since the rear firing arc counts for Outmanoeuvre. Predator is also a good choice if your meta is heavy on low PS pilots. That leaves you with one point which you can either use to buy initiative, or upgrade one of the Sabres to RG.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

The only real way to be sort of competitive with Fett is VI, HLC and Engine Upgrade. Possible gunner if you have the points. Engine Upgrade is way more useful than navigator unless you are using navigator as a player skill crutch.

Hes a nightmare for phantoms and can do well verse falcons.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I find Engine to be a must on Firesprays so Id toss my vote in for

Engine+Predator
or
Engine + VI + Tactician (Good anti phantom option, arguable better than ion cannon too)

If this is going to be a Boba heavy tournament Id prob take a bunch of Academies instead of the more expensive Sabers, to jam up lanes and block their Fetts. Stealth device isnt as valuable as it once was with Phantoms in the mix. Another way you can go is Echo. Echo can pretty much block anyone and is amazing at blocking other higher skill Firesprays with the added benefit of them not being able to shoot him. A two ship build is risky but fun and extremely effective if flown well. Its basically the Imp version of Han+Corn horn.

Boba - HLC - Engine - Gunner - VI
Echo - Adcloak - Rebel Capt - Sensor Jammer - VI
98 pts

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 29, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone play with a fat Han and corran list before? I'm thinking he might actually be better than Keyan as Han's support since 2 shields are equivalent to the R2 upgrade and there's a max 8 dice instead of max 4 with the B - or 6 and 8 with the HLC.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I bought the starter set and am playing my first game on Friday. Are there any points that people argue over that I should try to avoid right off? I'm coming to X-Wing from Warhammer 40k, and that's completely normal for that game :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I bought the starter set and am playing my first game on Friday. Are there any points that people argue over that I should try to avoid right off? I'm coming to X-Wing from Warhammer 40k, and that's completely normal for that game :v:

New players never get the range increase to agility dice right. If someone is firing a secondary weapon (torpedo) at range 3, their opponent does not get extra agility dice.

Also, modify all your dice before your opponent rolls. You don't get to see the result of his roll before you choose to focus, re-roll, etc.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Losing your action (by running into a ship or over an asteroid) does not also prevent you shooting. Only landing on an asteroid prevents shooting completely. You can't shoot a ship you are touching. As long as your entire base fits past another ship, you suffer no penalties of any sort even if the movement template is over the base of one. All rules in the same theme, but they're also all a little different and easy to get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Gate posted:

Losing your action (by running into a ship or over an asteroid) does not also prevent you shooting. Only landing on an asteroid prevents shooting completely. You can't shoot a ship you are touching. As long as your entire base fits past another ship, you suffer no penalties of any sort even if the movement template is over the base of one. All rules in the same theme, but they're also all a little different and easy to get confused.

Strangely I was about to ask about this! So it's only landing on asteroids that prevent shooting AND your action. Just bumping into another ship loses your action, but you can still shoot at other guys are you that are still in range right? I guess that guy who has the ability to bump and still shoot makes sense now.

• Locked thread