Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Looking very slick. The lighting made me think it was pink at first. Not sure if I would like that more or less than a swank red. (Both?)

quote:

I'm planning to play my second ever epic game this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of strategy for formations that keep your small ships close enough to the Raider or whatever to take advantage of the various Range 1-2 bonuses it can equip while simultaneously engaging the enemy and not getting your rear end run over by your own dang self.

The best way to play Epic is to care very little about things like "formations" and "strategy" and just play your cool ships and watch them explode. Probably the Raider first. :(

Like, I actually kinda like Epic - Team Epic less so - but if you don't mandate the use of the Epic ships, or if you go into it trying to build a "winning" list, you will probably have less fun. The Raider is worse than just loading up on TIE Fighters, for example. Scum is the best Epic faction because you fight against four Brobots and 100 points of TLT Y-Wings. It's rough. The best advice is honestly just to go into it with a gimmicky, fun idea, accomplish it, and clink beers with your opponent. "Smash my Raider into as many X-Wings as possible" is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

guts and bolts posted:

Looking very slick. The lighting made me think it was pink at first. Not sure if I would like that more or less than a swank red. (Both?)

The best way to play Epic is to care very little about things like "formations" and "strategy" and just play your cool ships and watch them explode. Probably the Raider first. :(

Like, I actually kinda like Epic - Team Epic less so - but if you don't mandate the use of the Epic ships, or if you go into it trying to build a "winning" list, you will probably have less fun. The Raider is worse than just loading up on TIE Fighters, for example. Scum is the best Epic faction because you fight against four Brobots and 100 points of TLT Y-Wings. It's rough. The best advice is honestly just to go into it with a gimmicky, fun idea, accomplish it, and clink beers with your opponent. "Smash my Raider into as many X-Wings as possible" is a good start.

Why waste your time with brobots? Take 12 TLTs. 4 HWKs and 8 Ys.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There is about a 0% chance this is a very good list, but there is a 100% it will annoy the poo poo out of someone.

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Latts Razzi (33)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)

Torkil Mux (19)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Greedo (1)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Total: 99

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

I am hijacking the conversation to talk about imperial firespray. Has anyone tried tactician on a generic, or VI boba? Seems like it might not be completely trash. Then again, it's an imperial firespray.

I've been trying to find any imp firespray build y at all, but I'm not exaggerating in saying that 0 were taken to worlds or any nationals as far as I know. A decent 36-50 point ship would make imp list building very interesting, so I'm trying to find something to make it work.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Brunas posted:

I am hijacking the conversation to talk about imperial firespray. Has anyone tried tactician on a generic, or VI boba? Seems like it might not be completely trash. Then again, it's an imperial firespray.

I've been trying to find any imp firespray build y at all, but I'm not exaggerating in saying that 0 were taken to worlds or any nationals as far as I know. A decent 36-50 point ship would make imp list building very interesting, so I'm trying to find something to make it work.

I quite like Kath Scatlet + calculation, cheap and easy to put crits/stress on people. Adding tactician might make it really trolly, though I've not tried that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brunas posted:

3x Bounty Hunters were, at one point, a pretty good list. Not so much, these days. :(

Kath + Mangler or Calculation lets you get some stress out. Add Tactician if you want potential to double stress. Add Engine upgrade and PTL if you want any sort of maneuverability. It's...ok.

But Scum firesprays are frankly twice as good. Scum Kath + PTL + K4 Security Droid + Engine Upgrade is pretty sweet.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I ran this today in a casual game at work, and had a lot of fun. I'm still quite new, and trying to get a feel for just flying properly, and how the templates work etc.

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 37

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26
Wired 1
Chardaan Refit -2
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0
Ship Total: 30

Horton Salm — Y-Wing 25
Twin Laser Turret 6
BB-8 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0
Ship Total: 33

Yet Another X-wing Thing

Any tips on improving it? I lost the Y-wing to a bad maneuver over the edge. Found the A-Wing hard to fly, but relatively satisfying. I'm still not quite sure what to actually do with Poe on the table.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

ro5s posted:

I quite like Kath Scatlet + calculation, cheap and easy to put crits/stress on people. Adding tactician might make it really trolly, though I've not tried that.

ConfusedUs posted:

3x Bounty Hunters were, at one point, a pretty good list. Not so much, these days. :(

Kath + Mangler or Calculation lets you get some stress out. Add Tactician if you want potential to double stress. Add Engine upgrade and PTL if you want any sort of maneuverability. It's...ok.

But Scum firesprays are frankly twice as good. Scum Kath + PTL + K4 Security Droid + Engine Upgrade is pretty sweet.

Kath + Calculation is cute, good idea. Kath + Mangler is something I've considered in the past but it's just so expensive, Even calculation Kath is 39, 41 with tactician, which means we're directly competing with Whisper. 39/41 means you can fit it with an imperial ace and omega leader, which might be pretty OK? FAQ says I can't count dice canceled from Ion Cannon hitting as canceled crits to do stress, which would have been hilarious.

While I'm at it, here's all the other probably bad builds I've been playing around with, in order of how good/successful they've been

Juno Eclipse (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 33

Nearly unblockable at PS10, don't need EU with the pilot ability to get to range 1 for prockets, and prokects + chips is devastating. 33 points fits reasonably in current imperial lists. Here's what the damage output looks for those prockets looks like:

0 0
1 0.0009765625
2 0.0146484375
3 0.087890625
4 0.263671875
5 0.6328125

~25% chance to have the focus left over.

Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 35

30 With refit. I'm sure everyone else has had the exact same idea.

Keyan Farlander (29)
Rage (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Total: 34

Spending more than 22 points on a B-Wing breaks the first and only rule for flying B-Wings, but this is some serious action economy/dial. You've got two focuses and an effective target lock every turn, with an interceptor dial with less punishing K-turns.

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Tactician (2)
Gunner (5)

Total: 29

Double stresser that can actually turn. Feel free to upgrade to Yorr to let your aces take white Ks while you're at it.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Gerdalti posted:

I ran this today in a casual game at work, and had a lot of fun. I'm still quite new, and trying to get a feel for just flying properly, and how the templates work etc.

Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26
Wired 1
Chardaan Refit -2
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Horton Salm — Y-Wing 25
Twin Laser Turret 6
BB-8 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0

Yet Another X-wing Thing

Any tips on improving it? I lost the Y-wing to a bad maneuver over the edge. Found the A-Wing hard to fly, but relatively satisfying. I'm still not quite sure what to actually do with Poe on the table.

Tycho and Poe are both pretty reasonable for what you've got available. I'd stay away from BB-8 on Salm, as you have so few green maneuvers open to you. You can change horton to a generic stressbot, and then fit extra upgrades onto Poe or Tycho.

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Tycho Celchu (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Wired (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 99

If you'd rather use the Y-Wing as an actual Turret, you can switch it to this:

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R5-K6 (2)

Same point cost either way, and you get a target lock for Poe or Tycho that will help out with Prockets or let Poe boost.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you were to use your x-wing minis in a fantasy game, what roles for the following would you give each of your ships? Scum, Rebel, Imps, doesn't matter, but I'll probably keep it faction-pure. War hound, Thug, Thief, Archer, Crossbowman, Infantryman, Tracker, Man-At-Arms, Treasure Hunter, Knight, Templar, Ranger, Barbarian, Apothecary, Marksman, Wizard.

(stats go from lowest to highest wrt armor and opposite for movement, generally, but I decline to tell stats so it doesn't get in the way of what jumps out at you with each description.)

I will post pictures sometime next week with hopefully exciting descriptions of, say, a B-wing charging and tackling a tie fighter while a Hawk heals its party members.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Advanced Targeting Computer is an amazing system upgrade, but is there anything else worth taking on a TIE Adv to take advantage of the x1 title?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

General Battuta posted:

Advanced Targeting Computer is an amazing system upgrade, but is there anything else worth taking on a TIE Adv to take advantage of the x1 title?

Sensor Jammer?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Accuracy corrector on low-PS Tie Adv pilots is great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Boba Fett (Scum) (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Dengar (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Latts Razzi (33)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)
4-LOM (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

Ran that tonight, and cleaned house with it. Dengar is going to be pretty much an auto-include on Scum Boba Fett. I think that literally every time I rolled red dice, I was able to re-roll any of the dice that I wanted between R1 pilot ability and Dengar's 1-2 die reroll.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

You're the same guy who thought that Palpshuttle was rendered unplayable by Boba Fett?

No, I'm the guy that thinks that Boba Fett is really powerful against palpshuttles, and that it would be a really good choice if you wanted to make a list specifically to go against Palpshuttles and Regen-Poes. I never said it was rendered unplayable. I also think it's really cool that they're introducing cards which deliberately upset the current metagame.

If thinking that four points of investment taking a pivotal eight-point (actually closer to 30, because who the gently caress brings a shuttle without palp?) card out of the game is Pretty Good makes me a stupid idiot, then so be it. :shrug:

quote:

Or, put another way, being blunt, I don't think I'm going to take your word for it. Sorry. More to the point, I wasn't saying that OLeader does Fel's job at all, let alone better - just that I think OLeader is the best ship at the Empire's disposal, in the current meta, and he dramatically changes how you balance the game since he's 26 points. In a lot of ways, Imperial Veterans and Omega Leader do things to the Empire's balancing formula going forward that are going to be hard to parse in the short term. You can't create any other truly effective ships in that price range, now, for example, without risking blowing the game open, in the same way that you've now essentially made it so that 3-cost cannons (or lower) have to be very carefully balanced because of their use with TIE/D.

In other words, comparison between OL and Fel is pointless - It's like comparing a SUV to a garbage truck and going, "look, the SUV is better". There's no basis for comparison, because they do two entirely different things at entirely different point values.

We can argue the merits of what ships are "better" than others by some arbitrary standard all day, but Soontir Fel is really powerful and popular not only because of what he does on the table, but because he's in a really comfortable price range. He fits neatly into the remaining points a fully kitted Decimator leaves you, and he fits neatly into the remaining points a fully kitted Vader and Palpshuttle leaves you. He conveniently fits with the other popular Imperial choices, whereas both OL and Whisper force you to take some more creative lists.

Whisper is really good, but Whisper also pretty much auto-loses against PS 10 and 11 ships, and Whisper costs 7 more points than Soontir - Meaning that you can't slot her with Vader in a Palpshuttle list, and that you have to tone down your Decimator if you're taking her as a Decimator wingman. She's also one screw up away from being 41 points with 4 hitpoints and 2 green dice.

A lot of Fel's power lies in that he's not completely dependent on arc dodging. Even if you done hosed up and Fel is in someone's sights, you still have autothrusters, stealth device, a mountain of tokens, and these days, usually a Palpatine to save your rear end.

Before Wave 7 and TFA ships, Whisper was a lot more popular than Fel. However, these days, with PS 10 Poes ruling the land, Whisper is a lot less attractive.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

No, I'm the guy that thinks that Boba Fett is really powerful against palpshuttles, and that it would be a really good choice if you wanted to make a list specifically to go against Palpshuttles and Regen-Poes. I never said it was rendered unplayable. I also think it's really cool that they're introducing cards which deliberately upset the current metagame.

If thinking that four points of investment taking a pivotal eight-point (actually closer to 30, because who the gently caress brings a shuttle without palp?) card out of the game is Pretty Good makes me a stupid idiot, then so be it. :shrug:

It's more than a four point investment, though. I think a lot of people really like to take cards in a vacuum(I was laughing when I heard someone talk about how OP Hera(crew) is). You have to look at the ships that can take the upgrade card, ships that want it, and you can kinda see- very few action-independent ships want to actually take red maneuvers in rebels.

You're not just paying four points- you're taking another 29+ for a ship to hold them. Boba is one point for a reason. I think it's a pretty well designed card, but I don't think it's the impact thing you think it is. If I were designing a list to play against Palp/Fel/Vader i'm not sure I could come up with 67 points that beats Vader and Fel in scum.

Maybe i'm wrong, though. I actually did have success with a YV in my list at one point, but I feel like the better players could avoid Bossk/Gunner/Tactician and then you get the aces feasting on Z-95s.

Geisladisk posted:

Before Wave 7 and TFA ships, Whisper was a lot more popular than Fel. However, these days, with PS 10 Poes ruling the land, Whisper is a lot less attractive.

I think you're underestimating the popularity of RAC/Fel.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Panzeh posted:

It's more than a four point investment, though. I think a lot of people really like to take cards in a vacuum(I was laughing when I heard someone talk about how OP Hera(crew) is). You have to look at the ships that can take the upgrade card, ships that want it, and you can kinda see- very few action-independent ships want to actually take red maneuvers in rebels.

You're not just paying four points- you're taking another 29+ for a ship to hold them. Boba is one point for a reason. I think it's a pretty well designed card, but I don't think it's the impact thing you think it is. If I were designing a list to play against Palp/Fel/Vader i'm not sure I could come up with 67 points that beats Vader and Fel in scum.

Maybe i'm wrong, though. I actually did have success with a YV in my list at one point, but I feel like the better players could avoid Bossk/Gunner/Tactician and then you get the aces feasting on Z-95s.

You're absolutely making sacrifices to field it, but it's not as if the ship holding Boba/Missile is worthless on it's own. A Firespray or 666 is still a capable ship after sacrificing a crew slot and a missile slot (which almost always goes unused anyway).

As I said - It's a neat counter when you know what your opponent is fielding. I don't think it'll see much actual use, but the threat of it will probably serve to make Palpshuttles and Regens less attractive.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

You're absolutely making sacrifices to field it, but it's not as if the ship holding Boba/Missile is worthless on it's own. A Firespray or 666 is still a capable ship after sacrificing a crew slot and a missile slot (which almost always goes unused anyway).

As I said - It's a neat counter when you know what your opponent is fielding. I don't think it'll see much actual use, but the threat of it will probably serve to make Palpshuttles and Regens less attractive.

Let me put it to you this way- if i'm playing a firespray i'm going to think long and hard before not taking K4 security. It's a really good crew. The missile slot is a nothing kind of thing. You're not losing much, but the crew is a thing.

I'm not sure it'll scare people the way twin lasers scared people away from RAC/Han.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Geisladisk posted:

So you know how half a page prior people are talking about how mediocre Imperial Firesprays are? It's because they don't get a K4 Security Droid. Taking Boba Fett prevents you from taking that K4 security droid, which really tanks the action economy of a 35-40 point large ship, and leaves you with the above quandary the Imperial firespray has.

I also think people are underestimating that you're pretty much giving away how you're gonna be flying your Boba boat (straight at the highest priority upgrade card) and I look forward to exploiting the hell outta that against someone taking Boba Fett.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gerdalti posted:

Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26
Wired 1
Chardaan Refit -2
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Horton Salm — Y-Wing 25
Twin Laser Turret 6
BB-8 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0

Yet Another X-wing Thing

I actually have a Poe/Tycho/Dutch list of my own I'm tinkering with:
Push the Limit 3
BB-8 2
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 38

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26
Wired 1
Chardaan Refit -2
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0

"Dutch" Vander — Y-Wing 23
Twin Laser Turret 6
R7-T1 3
Ship Total: 32

Yet Another Squad Builder

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

guts and bolts posted:

You're the same guy who thought that Palpshuttle was rendered unplayable by Boba Fett? Or, put another way, being blunt, I don't think I'm going to take your word for it. Sorry. More to the point, I wasn't saying that OLeader does Fel's job at all, let alone better - just that I think OLeader is the best ship at the Empire's disposal, in the current meta, and he dramatically changes how you balance the game since he's 26 points. In a lot of ways, Imperial Veterans and Omega Leader do things to the Empire's balancing formula going forward that are going to be hard to parse in the short term. You can't create any other truly effective ships in that price range, now, for example, without risking blowing the game open, in the same way that you've now essentially made it so that 3-cost cannons (or lower) have to be very carefully balanced because of their use with TIE/D.

That's the thing, though - Fel doesn't strike me as difficult in the same way that a ship like 41Whisper is, in the same way that "doing an uppercut" isn't actually hard in Street Fighter. Once you know how to do it, it is no longer "hard," and anyone at respectable levels of play takes it as an automatic skill you possess. Fel can token-tank, and he has good action economy, and he's PS9. I'm not sure where the mystique comes from w/r/t his perceived difficulty. You dodge arcs. X-Wing is a great game, I do essentially play it non-stop (three dedicated nights a week and a lot of other time spent on Vassal and, regrettably, TTS), and I just don't think it's incredibly hard to learn. Match-up specific tactics are difficult to master, for sure, and there are wide gaps in my knowledge of what used to be in meta and popular, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm undefeated in consecutive months thus far in store league and have a sort of egregiously positive overall winrate. Some of this is owed to the fact that between waves, tech changes - people experiment with stuff that they'd normally not find competitive, stuff like that, I get it - and some of it is owed to a metagame that still tends to adhere to old standards (like, for example, Soontir Fel, who is all over the place at GA, AE, and GT) instead of choosing what might be considered pound-for-pound more effective in the meta (we have like two dedicated TLT players I've been able to find).

Fel plays the same game of anticipating enemy movement, and can largely cover for mistakes with discretionary position changes. I think that once you have a basic understanding of the game he's one of the easier ships to play, because he has one truly effective build and tends to have fairly binary choices available to him at any given moment. I'm not sure this equates to "hard" - a "hard" ship to fly, to me, is one that has its basic movement options strictly hamstrung, or that doesn't get access to blatantly effective EPT tech to compensate for potential mistakes made, or whatever. Like a B-Wing is hard to fly, for me. Fel is less so.

I don't doubt there's a lot more stuff for me to learn, and that's why I try to put thought into the posts I make when drawing the conclusions that I do. I'm not materializing things out of thin air - I apply the matchup experience I have against the players I've played against when deciding what to run, and how. Soontir Fel is probably the ship I'm most comfortable making comments on, because he's probably been in > 50% of the games I've ever played in X-Wing. When I have little experience with a subject, I also try to go to listbuilding in high-profile tournaments. Fel was in the number 4 Worlds list, and didn't re-appear until 16 and 17, and does not re-appear again. Omega Leader wasn't played yet, and his point cost is what makes Whisper such an attractive option now - you can have two high-efficacy aces in a list with a Palpshuttle where one of them is Whisper, now, and before you could not. This isn't speculative or whatever - these are just facts.

Now, I don't think that looking at what strictly wins at Worlds defines what is best - too many other factors come into play - but I think it forms an excellent spine for what is playable at the highest level. Fel appears in three of the top thirty-two lists; Empire featured in eight. This was before OLeader was even a thing. The data by itself, to me, indicates that people are wary about slotting Soontir Fel blindly into lists just because he's Fel, or that they've come to a similar conclusion to ConfusedUs, which is that Fel is a massive liability in some lists, and is one bad roll away from being a liability in virtually every other matchup. Whisper appeared in exactly one fewer list than Soontir Fel did, and that was before the tech that freed her up in listbuilding even existed.

Do I think I'm a Worlds-level player because I've had a run of success locally? No. But I also put thought behind my analysis, and I feel confident saying most of what I'm saying, some hyperbole excluded. If you think Soontir Fel is still the de facto core of Empire listbuilding, back it up. Show me whatcha got. I'm not saying I won't change my mind.

dude

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

YT-2400: · Dash Rendar (36)
Push The Limit (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
· Kyle Katarn (3)
· Outrider (5)

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x4

:v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I inquired about the poe dameron body pillow and the person said they already stopped taking orders but they made extras so here's hoping I can get one!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had about 4 hours to spare and I really wanted the TIE/D to fit with my FOs so here we go:

I need to neaten the wings but I'm pretty happy considering I hardly ever paint.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

YT-2400: · Dash Rendar (36)
Push The Limit (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
· Kyle Katarn (3)
· Outrider (5)

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x4

:v:

Yes, yes, yes, good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

I had about 4 hours to spare and I really wanted the TIE/D to fit with my FOs so here we go:

I need to neaten the wings but I'm pretty happy considering I hardly ever paint.

Hit it with a light wash, like a super deep blue to really bring out the blacks. It'll help with your lines a bit and the shading will really add a new level.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hit it with a light wash, like a super deep blue to really bring out the blacks. It'll help with your lines a bit and the shading will really add a new level.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Will need to get the wash though, any recommendations? I'll probably try to use some masking tape to make the lines straighter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm putting together a list based on the models I have (Original Core, Force Unleashed Core, YT-1300, Lambda, Slave I, 2x B-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, X-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 2x Rebel Aces, 2x Imperial Aces, HWK-290, 2x E-Wing, 2x Interceptor, 2x TIE Bomber, 2x TIE Fighter, 2x Z-95, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Defender, 2x TIE Phantom) and this is what I came up with for playing around today. Thoughts?

Tycho Celchu (36)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Proton Rockets (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Wired (1)

Wedge Antilles (38)
X-Wing (29)
BB-8 (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Predator (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)
B-Wing (22)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Jan Ors (2)

Thoughts?

Tekopo posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Will need to get the wash though, any recommendations? I'll probably try to use some masking tape to make the lines straighter.

You can make your own wash by adding water to acrylic paint. Future Floor Polish is also a good medium to experiment with (it's clear acrylic), although you'll want to hit the model with a matte varnish afterwards unless you like your models super shiny. Otherwise most game stores will sell it, or you can check it out online. It's been years since I really got into painting but Vallejo is one of my go-to companies for good products. There's a really awesome thread here on miniature painting you should check out.

Masking tape won't really help you much because of how small the models are. Your best bet is just a lot of practice. Thin your paints with water, go slow, and keep your brushes clean.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

grassy gnoll posted:

Look guys I've been playing for two months and trust me when I say you're all a bunch of shitheads

correct, but irrelevant to the discussion of soontir fel.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm putting together a list based on the models I have (Original Core, Force Unleashed Core, YT-1300, Lambda, Slave I, 2x B-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, X-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 2x Rebel Aces, 2x Imperial Aces, HWK-290, 2x E-Wing, 2x Interceptor, 2x TIE Bomber, 2x TIE Fighter, 2x Z-95, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Defender, 2x TIE Phantom) and this is what I came up with for playing around today. Thoughts?

Tycho Celchu (36)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Proton Rockets (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Wired (1)

Wedge Antilles (38)
X-Wing (29)
BB-8 (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Predator (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)
B-Wing (22)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Jan Ors (2)

Thoughts?

You can make your own wash by adding water to acrylic paint. Future Floor Polish is also a good medium to experiment with (it's clear acrylic), although you'll want to hit the model with a matte varnish afterwards unless you like your models super shiny. Otherwise most game stores will sell it, or you can check it out online. It's been years since I really got into painting but Vallejo is one of my go-to companies for good products. There's a really awesome thread here on miniature painting you should check out.

Masking tape won't really help you much because of how small the models are. Your best bet is just a lot of practice. Thin your paints with water, go slow, and keep your brushes clean.
Yeah, my main problem is my shaky hand and bad eyesight, but I'm improving. I've tried the wash but I have to be careful: the surface of the white panels picks up the ink and makes it shaded, so I've been brushing the wash mostly on the black struts and fixing the white if it becomes shaded.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tekopo posted:

This came out looking nice. Good job! I'm not good enough at painting to offer advice on how to improve it, but I would absolutely push this mini around a table for several hours. The paint job is much more attractive than the design of the Defender.

Panzeh posted:

I think you're underestimating the popularity of RAC/Fel.

RAC is... decently popular, locally? It's hard to say. A lot of people run the Decimator once or twice, burn out, and stop flying it. It was at Worlds but only appeared once (rounding out the top ten, and it was RAC and Whisper). I don't know who I'd want as the ideal companion ship to a fat Decimator.

I still think the best way to Boba is on a Hellbus with Greedo. Also apparently a store championship is happening today at a store I'm neutral about, but I still should've gone.

EDIT: nevermind it's next weekend, my bad. GT's is the 20th, and AE's is the 27th.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, my main problem is my shaky hand and bad eyesight, but I'm improving. I've tried the wash but I have to be careful: the surface of the white panels picks up the ink and makes it shaded, so I've been brushing the wash mostly on the black struts and fixing the white if it becomes shaded.

I would embrace shading the white. Hit it with a very light blue and you'll see some awesome results. Washes are your friend, especially if you have problems keeping your hands steady.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I want to put Dengar, Boba and Greedo on Bossk.

Now I need to buy the party bus.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
How do people normally find vassal games?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

hoiyes posted:

I want to put Dengar, Boba and Greedo on Bossk.

Now I need to buy the party bus.

My idea was Moralo Eval, those three crew A Night At The Roxbury-ing in the back, and a Heavy Laser Cannon, but it's expensive. You could probably just go generic + three crew, I just like the huge arc.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

How do people normally find vassal games?

Click if you just want a list of people currently playing a given module, or join one of the IRC/Skype groups or a forum group where lots of X-Wing is played.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
How about this for a Boba platform:

Mandal Merc (35)
- Boba Fett (1)
- AHM (3)
- Guidance Chips (0)
- Slave 1 (0)
- Extra Munitions (2)
- Glitterstim (2)
- Crack Shot (1)

So you can give yourself a pretty good chance to hit anything in town provided you can uh get it in arc, at range 2 and already have a target lock on it. So like not super easy still except for the shuttle or other ships with super bad dials. But a pretty good chance! It comes out to 44 points which is v expensive but it's PS 5 at least!

My main goal when playing X-Wing is to try every pilot, upgrade &c combination and to try to find the best use for every card at least once. I love the variety this game offers and since I pretty much only play with my friends, optimizing isn't super important. Plus gimmicks are fun! It gives you a goal to focus on that feels almost like a mission objective :)

I'm struggling to come up with a fun way to use Atari Mindlink tho - with the way the card works, if you did a red move on a low PS ship with mindlink, could you do a green move with a higher PS ship also with mindlink to eliminate the stress and then focus, giving the lower PS ship a focus despite its stress? It would be cool if you could also relieve stress with the card instead of just generating it - otherwise using it on more than two ships seems like a real hazard, despite the increased action economy.

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 13, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So Boba can take out any upgrade. So I had a mental image of him jet packing through space and like ripping off an engine then flying away. Then i realized he could take a title which made me laugh because i am picturing him flying over, ripping off a name plate then flying away.
Which actually is a ship of theseus thing really.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Bossk hears a thud, look out his window to see Boba holding his spacedrug stash and waving.

What a dick.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ZenMastaT posted:

I'm struggling to come up with a fun way to use Atari Mindlink tho - with the way the card works, if you did a red move on a low PS ship with mindlink, could you do a green move with a higher PS ship also with mindlink to eliminate the stress and then focus, giving the lower PS ship a focus despite its stress? It would be cool if you could also relieve stress with the card instead of just generating it - otherwise using it on more than two ships seems like a real hazard, despite the increased action economy.

That seems like a pretty decent way of doing it, I'm just not sure what combo of ships you would have where there's a low PS whatever using a lot of reds and a high PS ship with a ton of green that are both willing to sacrifice their EPT slot for that. I could almost see a Bossk Attani/K4/whatever for the higher ship, maybe a Guri for the other ship? The opportunity cost you give up when filling your EPT slot with Mindlink is I think just as big a drawback as the stress-sharing inherent in the card itself.

I would be thrilled to see a cool and good Mindlink combo.

e: Using mindlink to fuel a Blaster Turret Y-Wing? Idk. eee: dunno offhand if there's a scum Y with low PS and an EPT... prolly not.

ee: still wanna know if Baffles can gobble up a stress before the Mindlink passes it around...

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kavil has an EPT but no other scum Y-wings do and they don't have access to the EPT droid. None of the Rebel Y-wings have an EPT and the EPT droid is unique.

Speaking of EPTs, what ships would be broken if they were given a slot for free?

• Locked thread